DNA Solves

Was this an attempted kidnapping?

• Yes, his story doesn't make sense to me

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • No, it's obvious he was just trying to help

Votes: 36 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I say No, he didn't pull the child out of the store with him looks like he never touched the child at all, she followed him. I don't think his intentions where bad, I think he was just trying to help her.

They have him on video taking her hand and leading her. Another link in this thread says he called the child over to himself before leading her away from her Mother.

http://www.wftv.com/news/23874300/detail.html

I don't think he would have brought his mom along if he had nefarious intentions. Not that, in our weird world, that could never happen, but would seem very unusual IMO.

ETA: Also, I'm wondering why the mom wasn't charged as well, if she was following along behind him?

There was a case in southern california many years ago where a man kidnapped, molested and murdered children for many years with his Mother's knowledge. Clint Eastwood made a movie about the case in recent years.

I voted no.
Oddly enough I have a friend who was in this exact situation and went to jail for it. She was at a hotel when she found a little girl wandering out by the pool she asked the girl where her mom was and she told her she was not there, but she was there with her grandma. So my friend takes the little girl by the hand and starts walking to the lobby area to talk to security when the little girls grandma starts screaming "SHE IS TAKING MY GRANDDAUGHTER STOP HER!!" The security guards call 911 and detain my friend, police came and took her to jail for 6 days, she had to go to court and she got probation.
Unfortunately, this is a cautionary tale because I think sometimes people do want to help but are afraid they might be misunderstanding the situation and don't want to get in trouble or make someone upset.

Compassion for your fellow man (or child)...my 8 yr old grandson did the same thing to help a little 4 yr old girl find her mommy in a big retail store. At 8 years old he has learned compassion and to do the right thing by helping another. His Mom has taught him well, and I am sure it will follow him to adulthood. So sad that when adults try to help they are looked on as criminals. Yes, there are those that are out to harm our children. We HAVE to be on guard at all times. Don't see one thing that tells me this boy had any intent other than to help.

unless his mother was gonna be in on the kidnapping, i seriously doubt that's what he was trying to do. if anyone should be charged, it should be the lil girls mom.... she should be watching her kid.

This is slightly off topic but I think it illustrates a point.

I was walking through the parking lot on my way to the entrance of a grocery store. I walked by a mother and 3 children. Two were walking and she carried the third. She and I were almost even but I was a bit ahead. Up ahead the reverse lights for a car came on. The mother told her son to stop and wait.

The kid didn't hear her or didn't care. So I grabbed his arm with my left hand, and pushed back gently until he had stopped. I think I made a comment like "listen to your mother"

There are basically two ways this could have gone. The first would be to say "Thank you!" The next would be to scream "Don't touch my kid!" which would be hugely embarrassing to anyone in public.

Fortunately I had touched the kid of a woman with sound reasoning skills. Not only did she thank me but added "I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't grabbed him."

What I did was completely instinctual. I didn't give not doing it a gajillasecond of thought and just acted out. If I'm in the same position again I probably will do the same thing, but had I been publicly embarrassed by a mother I'd probably think a lot before doing it again.

For some reason a lot of people only see the bad in people. I think the fact that his mother was with him and the fact he was coming back to the store with the child is enough for me to believe human compassion was going on and now because of this national attention people are probably going to think twice about things more often. I believe that is a very bad thing.

IT SEEMS TO ME THE ARRESTING OFFICER HAS A RECORD HIMSELF THAT SPELLS "PROFILING" "PRJODIST".

IMHO any police officer with a record of prejudice behaviour should not have the right to arrest anyone of the opposite color.

Yes the boy should have gone to a store manager, but he is just a 14 year old boy. I am not sure that most 14 year old boys would know to do that.
I think the mother of this child is a ding bat, first she alerts the cops, then she does not file charges. WAS she more worried of being called negligent caregiver????? What is up with her? :waitasec:
I am glad the store had all the cameras.
I think the boys mother should have stopped him from going outside, and told him to get a store clerk/manager.
A bunch of stupid adults all around both of these kids.
I hope the boy is set free with no record.
A record can follow you all the days of your life. :(
I hope that cop retires - they can retire at age 40 - this cop is not out to protect the public at all IMHO.

ok i wish the poll hadnt closed, so i could register my resounding NO.

is this what we've become now? a paranoid country? why is we will sit here and say 'why doesnt anybody help? why dont people call the police when they see kids in a pedo's back yard? why dont we do something when someone is beating his wife? why wont people search for missing kids or adults?"

because from what i've seen, when people help, people run after them with pitchforks and torches. it doesnt even have to be crime. people that perform the heimlich manuver to save someone's life end up getting sued by that person, cause of a cracked rib. kronk and the tes searchers are being used as scapegoats by the defense in the anthony case. james king rescued nadia from a mudpit before she starved to death and yet people villified him in the newspaper comment sections.

and now this.

i think some of it is obviously that he is black. part of it is hes big. and most of it is cause he's male. if this was a 14 year old girl, white black, whatever, do you think we'd be sitting her debating this? if a white male or female had taken that girls hand and lead her out the store, no one would have even noticed. but now we got some so called 'sex offense expert' (and how is he an expert may we ask?) judging this kid from 2 minutes of video tape.

when the mom went out and found them, there was no altercation. she did not as the police claim 'hold them in the store till police came.' no, in fact he and his mom went back and went shoe shopping. she, from my conjecture, went back to the person who alerted her that he had walked off with her daughter. what ensued then? the mom most likely had said 'thanks' to the kid when she found them. now she is telling the store employee to call police? im assuming the store employee fillled her head with his/her pre concieved prejudice of what the kid had supposedly had in mind. and what happens next? the police come. store employee and mom both want kid arrested. kid is arrested pretty much on nothing.......i mean NOTHING. just a PERCEPTION of what MIGHT have happened. so then the cops parade him out to the media. then they question him for 6 hours and try to break him.....and fail. then they hold him anyways.

what happens next? girls mom says 2 days later she doesnt want to press charges. why the change of heart? most likely her daughter verified most or all of the kids story. but ALAS! the police hear none of it. the girl is 'too young to understand what happened!" of course, what that really means is 'the girl isnt backing up our garbage charges so we're not listening to her or her mom.' and now he is facing bogus felony charges cause he tried to do the right thing.

and then we wonder, 'why dont kids care about other people?"

it is inconievable to me that, if he really was trying to kidnap the girl and got busted, that him and his mom would just go back and go shopping. absurd, nobody is that stupid.

our country is falling apart.

I think that any judge presiding over this case if it goes to court will be able to see and evaluate that this teenage (a young one at that) was doing what he had been taught to do by his Mother. To help and have compassion for other people. I think it will be thrown out if LE doesn't drop the charges first.

Actually, unless it is proven otherwise, I'm glad we have kids out there like this teen who is watching and trying their best to also protect those younger than him. We can't change the behavior of the monsters out there that prey on children and we can't keep them in jail long enough, we need more adults and kids like him to help us protect everyone.

I send him a pat on the back but suggest to him next time---go immediately to a store employee.

What troubles me the most is that when a good kid trying to do a good deed ends up traumatized and with a potential record.
Yes, that is very troubling to me. Sometimes innocence is not bliss.

This is the case of a prejudice cop doing damage. not a teen ager.

im not sure exactly what the judge found they had probably cause to arrest him on. i dont see one iota o actual evidence just speculation.

and the sherrif's office is putting it into the state attorney's hands. in other words 'were washing our hands of it, so whatever happens, blame them!" im guessing the sherrif is up for re-election.

totally disgusted. 'refsue to answer several questions about the case' right. why?

"The 14-year-old boy charged with false imprisonment for taking a 3-year-old girl outside a Burlington Coat Factory store had discipline problems in school and failed a lie-detector test about the incident, WFTV.com is reporting.

The boy is expected to appear in juvenile court at 8:30 a.m. today.

WFTV.com is reporting that the boy was "suspended once for insinuating something sexual in front of other students.''

The report does not provide details."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-attempted-kidnapping-hearing-20100624,0,4908286.story

It is inconceivable to me that this boy has been charged. How often do similar scenarios happen all across the country, when children slip away from their parents in a store? I have many times done the same. I don't think I have ever actually left the store, but he made an assumption that one of those women was the mother of the child and he went to find out. I doubt I would even think twice about doing the same thing, if I had identified someone who left the store as the possible parent. It was an honest mistake on his part. I find it frightening that trying to help a child find her mother could even remotely lead to arrest. Many of us are always hollering that people should look out for the children of others and get involved. Now we must fear arrest if we do? This is insane.

BBM...ITA

No good deed goes unpunished!

How many will now step forward to help a child who seems lost?

This is pause for concern...:furious:

failed polygraph on a 14 year old who was just questioned for 6 hours means nothing. i didnt even know it was legal to give a 14 year old a polygraph.. never even heard of it in murder cases where the suspect is a juvenile.

what exactly was the sexual thing he did/said in class? is this sex offender type stuff or a normal 14 year old hormoronal boy stuff?

I just don't know what to make of this whole situation. At first I thought LE was way off base for arresting him for doing a good deed. Know I don't know what to think:

"At the hearing, prosecutors told Judge Turner that the teenager has faced 18 different disciplinary actions both in Orange and Lake County schools and that three of them were sexual in nature. The prosecutor also told Judge Turner that McFarlane failed a lie detector test.

Prosecutors had asked the judge to keep McFarlane on home detention as long as possible.

“These are things that are very relevant. What is happening in his life? Is he a risk?” prosecutor Terri Mills stated in court."

"...WFTV found out Edwin was disciplined at school for simulating a sex act in class, then doing it again on the bus. He was also disciplined for threatening and spitting on a student after the student told him to stop spreading sexual rumors about two girls."

http://www.wftv.com/news/24018080/detail.html

i bet if the poll was reopened it would shift drastically.

im not to sure myself anymore

It's had an effect on me but I wouldn't be prepared to call it beyond reasonable doubt right now.

"The 14-year-old boy charged with false imprisonment for taking a 3-year-old girl outside a Burlington Coat Factory store had discipline problems in school and failed a lie-detector test about the incident, WFTV.com is reporting.

The boy is expected to appear in juvenile court at 8:30 a.m. today.

WFTV.com is reporting that the boy was "suspended once for insinuating something sexual in front of other students.''

The report does not provide details."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-attempted-kidnapping-hearing-20100624,0,4908286.story

How in the world did that media station get that information I wonder?

That child is a minor and his school record should be confidential. Good grief. (not attacking the messenger RC :D)

all charges were dropped. kid has alot of support from sports teams (he wants to be an nfl draft pick one day). no word on whether his arrest record will be expunged though.

i really need to stop doubting myself. kyrons case might be the first case in awhile i've been wrong about. but that sure is painful :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pearl lemon
Back