FL - Terri Schiavo Court Case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lisag said:
Ummm.... basically !!

He is a .... nevermind.. I am backing out NOW...
I swear the topic of this, um.. creature, gets brought up just to get a rise outta me!!

You'll notice I am :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: too! :crazy:

txsvicki said:
Terri couldn't feel pain? Hogwash and BS to that. I guess many decent hard working nurses and the girl's own parents and familiy were just lying. People better realize what "the state" and even hospice is doing and telling people. My sister in law recently died of cancer after being in the hospital only one day. Hospice already had some plan they were going to implement which would deny her any feedings and hydration. They are telling people that hydration can cause bloating and is not needed. Sorry, my grandmother died of liver cancer 30 years ago. She had hydration, was heavily sedated, and did not have any bloating at all. There was no seizures, bleeding eyes, mouth, etc. The bottom line is that they think that the poor patient will die a few days quicker. My grandmother lived about the same amount of time as poor Terri did and she was 90 years old. It just was not as gruesome but some sort of lethal injection would have been better and just as honest as letting someone lay there and starve and dehydrate. We wouldn't do that to stupid animals or convicts but will allow it to be done in a backwaard way to patients. Americans are so backward and just play follow the leader. I plan to decide for myself based on the circumstances and will not allow any euthanistic type family members within 10 feet of my or my immediate family's deathbed.
Had your grandmother's brain shriveled to the size of a grapefruit? ( As Schiavo's had, upon discovery on autopsy.) That's the difference. Brainstems are not brains. Nothing that makes you human as you understand the term recides in them. In fact, they're refered to as "reptile brains". Meaning reflexive actions such as responses to warmth, cold, breathing, and that's about it. The reptile brain can feel pain, but not love, fear, memory or have an awareness of self or time. All that resides in the higher brain functions.
That's not life, it's living death.

The issue of starving or dehydration to the point of death keeps being brought up again and again like Michael is some demon but this is going on every day!! I am in contact with many folks suffering with cancer, especially children...and people die like this over and over...is it the nature of the brain injury. I have talked with parents whose little ones at first lost their balance, eyesight, ability to speak, go into intermittent coma states before going into a coma not able to eat or drink before they die. Their hearts may be strong, their livers functioning but the BRAIN has ceased activity.

Dang it hurts, it hurts bad...and not one of us can say we would act one way or the other unless we were there next to that bed of our loved one.

I am in Oregon where we do have death with dignity (thank you US Supreme Court!) but in the Schiavo case it would not have applied. There are many checks and double checks in order to carry out the death with dignity order. One of the stipulations is that the person seeking to end their life must be physically able to take the prescription. Terri would not have been able to carry this out, and no one could do it for her.

It was certainly a difficult no win situation....

I read that only 200 hundred or so have actually used the law in Oregon over the past years, and that it has worked pretty well. It would be nice to have a choice in case of a horrible, terminal illness.

I was wodnering where you were !! :doh:

I really want to comment... but I wont... :blowkiss:

Jules said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You'll notice I am :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: too! :crazy:

:D :D

lisag said:
I was wodnering where you were !! :doh:

I really want to comment... but I wont... :blowkiss:

I hear ya. Keeping my comments to myself. :silenced: :silenced:

Marthatex said:
I read that only 200 hundred or so have actually used the law in Oregon over the past years, and that it has worked pretty well. It would be nice to have a choice in case of a horrible, terminal illness.

That is true Martha...everyone wondered what would happen, would we see an influx of the elderly and infirm coming in to take advantage....hasn't happened.

In fact many of the folks that go through the tests leading up to the prescription, and actually get the medication do not take it...just having the choice gives them security they desire to make it to the end....

There also has not been abuse of the system...my best friend is the hospice administrator of a major healthcare system here and is pleased with the outcomes of the law....if you can be pleased with a situation like this? Kinda sounds weird huh!

No, doesn't sound weird. I have a friend who has been lying for 4 years on a respirator, feeding tube with ALS. Can't move anything but her eyes. I would definitely want a choice in a case like that.

Linda7NJ said:
Perhaps there was no reasonable doubt in her husbands mind. Perhaps they did have the conversation he clams they had. Then it was his legal decision, no one else's. If that's the way it went down, then I have nothing but respect for the man.

I have nothing but the up most empathy for her parents, can't even begin to imagine how they feel .

The decision to let Terri die was a tough one. My issues are the way that he treated her relatives and his actions after her death.

Do you respect a man who wouldn't even allow her relatives who dearly love her be with her when she died. This showed me the character of this man. He has no compassion whatsoever. The message that he put on Terri's tombstone also shows me that he has no class whatsoever.

No matter what the family did to me, I would empathy and compassion for them. They would be allowed to be with Terri in the end instead of his lawyer. I would not have engraved, "I kept my promise." on her tombstone either. We all know that it is her family who will visit her and keep up her grave.

nanandjim said:
The decision to let Terri die was a tough one. My issues are the way that he treated her relatives and his actions after her death.

Do you respect a man who wouldn't even allow her relatives who dearly love her be with her when she died. This showed me the character of this man. He has no compassion whatsoever. The message that he put on Terri's tombstone also shows me that he has no class whatsoever.

No matter what the family did to me, I would empathy and compassion for them. They would be allowed to be with Terri in the end instead of his lawyer. I would not have engraved, "I kept my promise." on her tombstone either. We all know that it is her family who will visit her and keep up her grave.

I couldn't have said it better (or more politely!!)

I totally agree! Terri is in a better place now, but her family has to deal with this day after day. He better be glad he didn't have my mother for a mother-in-law. She would have beat the *Chit* out of him and thrown him out on his ear!

The way he treated them was horrible!

nanandjim said:

nanandjim said:

You said it all. He treated her family badly and they are the ones who will love her forever.
My husband was all for this guy. We are getting divorced now, lol. I do know he would not want to be kept on life support and if I ever had to make the decision I would still do as he wanted. BUT I would give his family all the respect I could. IMO, Terri should not have been starved. That was cruel. And Michael should have gotten divorced as he had other priorities.

nanandjim said:

It cuts both ways. Since her parents were accusing him of murder and domestic abuse and all sorts of crap when there was no proof to any of their claims, I don't see why he should have to give a crap in a cocked hat how they felt or feel.

It would have just been common human decency to consider their feelings, as that was their little girl no matter what. That's why he should have given a crap in a cocked hat. What's done is done though, he got his way and she's in the grave and her parents didn't even get to tell her goodbye or have a chance to care for her. He has gone on his merry way and will continue to do so. It would suit me fine to never ever hear or see his name or face again.

Sleeping Pill May Reverse Comatose Patients, Study Says by Dawn Rizzoni
01 Jun, 2006

****(CNSNews.com) - Scientific researchers have revealed in the medical journal NeuroRehabilitation that a commonly-used sleeping pill, zolpidem (brand name Ambien), can be used to temporarily awaken patients in a persistent vegetative state (PVS), coma, or other brain-injured state.

The discovery has attracted the interest of The Terri Schindler-Schiavo Foundation for Health Care Ethics. The Foundation was named in memory of the brain-damaged Florida woman who died in March 2005 after her husband Michael Schiavo won a long legal battle to cut her off from all nutrition.

In light of the medical breakthrough, The Schindler-Schiavo Foundation has called for a moratorium of ...

ARTICLE CONTINUES... http://www.CNSNEWS.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=/SpecialReports/archive/200606/SPE20060601a.html

wondering22 said:
Sleeping Pill May Reverse Comatose Patients, Study Says by Dawn Rizzoni
01 Jun, 2006

****(CNSNews.com) - Scientific researchers have revealed in the medical journal NeuroRehabilitation that a commonly-used sleeping pill, zolpidem (brand name Ambien), can be used to temporarily awaken patients in a persistent vegetative state (PVS), coma, or other brain-injured state.

The discovery has attracted the interest of The Terri Schindler-Schiavo Foundation for Health Care Ethics. The Foundation was named in memory of the brain-damaged Florida woman who died in March 2005 after her husband Michael Schiavo won a long legal battle to cut her off from all nutrition.

In light of the medical breakthrough, The Schindler-Schiavo Foundation has called for a moratorium of ...

ARTICLE CONTINUES... http://www.CNSNEWS.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=/SpecialReports/archive/200606/SPE20060601a.html
Does it reverse brain death?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back