FL - Terri Schiavo Court Case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
spclk said:
Maybe I am crazy, but I have NEVER starved any animal to death! Big difference between euthanizing them and starving and thirsting them to death! Had Terri put in writing that she would not want to live this way, then ending her misery in a much more humane way would have been acceptable....but that was NOT the case.

Argue with me if you like, but I believe that God created life to be honored and cruelty such as starving a human is EVIL!

I refuse to walk the politically correct line and not speak my opinion. I respect that others disagree, and that's okay.

I hope they reep what they sow even if that does make me a fanatic.
Hey, blame the state for starving her to death, since they decided it was illegal to put her to sleep. I wouldn't want to starve my dog to death either, but then I'd be allowed to put him to sleep because, you know, that's more humane.

To jog memories, Teri died from dehydration. Upon autopsy, her brain was found to be almost completely "gone", and it had been gone a long time.

Kidney failure is one of the easiest ways to die, much easier than cancer, heart failure or pneumonia, or car accident, the ways most of us with functioning brains will unfortunately have to suffer.

Teri was let go in as humane way as possible, given her tragic condition IMO.

Marthatex said:
To jog memories, Teri died from dehydration. Upon autopsy, her brain was found to be almost completely "gone", and it had been gone a long time.

Kidney failure is one of the easiest ways to die, much easier than cancer, heart failure or pneumonia, or car accident, the ways most of us with functioning brains will unfortunately have to suffer.

Teri was let go in as humane way as possible, given her tragic condition IMO.
Have you ever watched someone die of kidney failure????? It is not a pretty sight. At all. My grandfather just passed in July of kidney failure, and that poor man was extremely miserable. My cousin died of cancer a few years ago. Her death was much easier on her then my grandfather's was on him. So, until you have kidney failure....you won't know how painful it might be. :twocents:

spclk said:
Maybe I am crazy, but I have NEVER starved any animal to death! Big difference between euthanizing them and starving and thirsting them to death! Had Terri put in writing that she would not want to live this way, then ending her misery in a much more humane way would have been acceptable....but that was NOT the case.

Argue with me if you like, but I believe that God created life to be honored and cruelty such as starving a human is EVIL!

I refuse to walk the politically correct line and not speak my opinion. I respect that others disagree, and that's okay.

Amen!

spclk said:

Kudos to you for such a good post!

GreenEyedGirl said:
Have you ever watched someone die of kidney failure????? It is not a pretty sight. At all. My grandfather just passed in July of kidney failure, and that poor man was extremely miserable. My cousin died of cancer a few years ago. Her death was much easier on her then my grandfather's was on him. So, until you have kidney failure....you won't know how painful it might be. :twocents:

The point is Teri didn't feel pain anyway. I'm watching my father die of cancer right now, thanks very much. My grandfather died of kidney failure. I'm sure no death to a functioning person is without some pain.

Nope I haven't died yet, and hope not to for awhile. :cool:

yeah...I applied for one last year and it wasnt on the news.

What's the big deal about his? Quite frankly I dont care to hear anything more about Michael Schivo.

spclk,

right, but that's the whole point. we DO NOT live in a society that is humane enough to euthanize such people. it's such a taboo subject... everyone automatically thinks "slippery slope" and "nazis" and such. therefore, until that day arrives when we become a more enlightened society and can deal with death maturely... the only choice left is to LET A PERSON DIE NATURALLY-- which in her case was to take out the artificial feeding tube... which the majority agreed in the end was the best, most humane and dignified choice... and since she was not aware of much, it was understood that whatever suffering she may have had was minimal, and certainly nothing compared to the suffering she may have already endured and would definitely endure in years to come.

<Argue with me if you like, but I believe that God created life to be honored and cruelty such as starving a human is EVIL!>

OK, i will: is it not your belief that your god also created DEATH which should also be honored?? and is not forcing a person with only a brain stem left in their head to remain alive by having a plastic tube stuck in them, with NO chance of recovery, stuck in a room, having to have their diapers changed every day like a baby, with only a future of wasting away with increasing bedsores, infections, and other afflictions... is that not even more CRUEL and EVIL than letting someone pass away peacefully?? why are you so terrified of death?? and since when did religious people fall in love with medical technology to the point where they would rather abuse it than use it wisely???

and, what ever happened to the whole "if it happend it was meant to be, it's what god wanted, god wanted to take her home",, etc... viewpoint...?

if i was in her state, i would rather someone put me out of my misery as quickly as possible once they are sure that there's nothing going on upstairs, than leave me to waste away like that. i'm not afraid to go to the other side, i would look forward to the journey, and trust that those taking care of me are sure it's the best thing for me.

I predict that as the baby boomers retire and start to die there will be more euthanasia, as in Oregon. Maybe other states will start to allow it. Our Medicare system and health care system, with its already huge costs and shortage of nurses, soon to be shortage of doctors will not be able to support keeping everyone alive who are terminally ill.

It's going to be mind boggling.

man, i sure hope so. i hope that someday we will be an enlightened enough society to support death with dignity. it seemed as if we were getting to that point, but then all of a sudden things kind of went back to the dark ages.

advances in medical technology are great-- but not to the point were it makes a mockery out of life. then you end up with some kind of futuristic sci-fi horror scene where people beyond any hope of survival or quality life are kept artificially alive JUST BECAUSE WE CAN DO IT-- but that doesn't make it right. i envision some kind of "matrix" meets "brave new world" scene, and it ain't a pretty one.

reb said:
man, i sure hope so. i hope that someday we will be an enlightened enough society to support death with dignity. it seemed as if we were getting to that point, but then all of a sudden things kind of went back to the dark ages.

advances in medical technology are great-- but not to the point were it makes a mockery out of life. then you end up with some kind of futuristic sci-fi horror scene where people beyond any hope of survival or quality life are kept artificially alive JUST BECAUSE WE CAN DO IT-- but that doesn't make it right. i envision some kind of "matrix" meets "brave new world" scene, and it ain't a pretty one.

I'm finding that medical care now, tho' sometimes miraculous almost, is kind of impersonal and downright uncaring. Everything is oriented toward "hurry,hurry", and record keeping. Everyone's overworked and burned out.

Well, it's late. Time for my transfusion. :)

Terri couldn't feel pain? Hogwash and BS to that. I guess many decent hard working nurses and the girl's own parents and familiy were just lying. People better realize what "the state" and even hospice is doing and telling people. My sister in law recently died of cancer after being in the hospital only one day. Hospice already had some plan they were going to implement which would deny her any feedings and hydration. They are telling people that hydration can cause bloating and is not needed. Sorry, my grandmother died of liver cancer 30 years ago. She had hydration, was heavily sedated, and did not have any bloating at all. There was no seizures, bleeding eyes, mouth, etc. The bottom line is that they think that the poor patient will die a few days quicker. My grandmother lived about the same amount of time as poor Terri did and she was 90 years old. It just was not as gruesome but some sort of lethal injection would have been better and just as honest as letting someone lay there and starve and dehydrate. We wouldn't do that to stupid animals or convicts but will allow it to be done in a backwaard way to patients. Americans are so backward and just play follow the leader. I plan to decide for myself based on the circumstances and will not allow any euthanistic type family members within 10 feet of my or my immediate family's deathbed.

txsvicki said:
Terri couldn't feel pain? Hogwash and BS to that. I guess many decent hard working nurses and the girl's own parents and familiy were just lying.

That's 100% correct. The autopsy proved they were lying, although that word is a bit strong. IMO, they were misleading themselves into believing something that wasn't true.

Teri could not feel pain because the parts of her brain that allowed her to feel pain were gone. Not damaged, gone. As in *not there*. She did not feel anything at all.

GatorMom said:
That's 100% correct. The autopsy proved they were lying, although that word is a bit strong. IMO, they were misleading themselves into believing something that wasn't true.

Teri could not feel pain because the parts of her brain that allowed her to feel pain were gone. Not damaged, gone. As in *not there*. She did not feel anything at all.
I agree, she felt nothing. However it's just WRONG to starve someone to death, a simple lethal injection would have been far more humane for the rest of us.

As for her husband, if indeed he was telling the truth and she did indeed make her wishes known to him....God bless him for the ability & strength to see it through despite the wrath and hatred of half the nation. It could have been so much easier for him to just divorce her and place her in the hands of her parents.

I can't seem to muster the give a chit. I don't know what happened and never will. All I can say is KARMA. If he's got something coming to him, he'll get it. I have no doubts about that.

Reb,

I do not disagree with you that we should learn to respect death at all! I do respect it and am not afraid to die. I also believe that every person should have a living will that specifies what they want to happen should this become a situation for them. Therefore, I also respect the fact that if it happened to you then you would want to be put out of your misery.

What I do have a problem with is the fact that you would be charged with a crime if you did that to a dog, but you can do it to a human being. I also have a problem with the fact that this man had moved on with his life....why couldn't he leave her with her parents to decide what she would have wanted. Even criminals are not found guilty if there is "reasonable doubt", and there was certainly doubt as to whether Terri would have wanted to die this way. I know, as a parent, that I know my daughter better than anyone on this earth and NO man will ever be able to read her the way I do. I feel that her parents were more equipped to decide her fate than a husband who had moved on and had children with someone else.

I do find peace in the fact that Terri is with God now. I just believe that we have set the stage for our government and courts to decide whose life has value and whose doesn't and this is VERY SCARY to me.

reb said:
spclk,

right, but that's the whole point. we DO NOT live in a society that is humane enough to euthanize such people. it's such a taboo subject... everyone automatically thinks "slippery slope" and "nazis" and such. therefore, until that day arrives when we become a more enlightened society and can deal with death maturely... the only choice left is to LET A PERSON DIE NATURALLY-- which in her case was to take out the artificial feeding tube... which the majority agreed in the end was the best, most humane and dignified choice... and since she was not aware of much, it was understood that whatever suffering she may have had was minimal, and certainly nothing compared to the suffering she may have already endured and would definitely endure in years to come.

<Argue with me if you like, but I believe that God created life to be honored and cruelty such as starving a human is EVIL!>

OK, i will: is it not your belief that your god also created DEATH which should also be honored?? and is not forcing a person with only a brain stem left in their head to remain alive by having a plastic tube stuck in them, with NO chance of recovery, stuck in a room, having to have their diapers changed every day like a baby, with only a future of wasting away with increasing bedsores, infections, and other afflictions... is that not even more CRUEL and EVIL than letting someone pass away peacefully?? why are you so terrified of death?? and since when did religious people fall in love with medical technology to the point where they would rather abuse it than use it wisely???

and, what ever happened to the whole "if it happend it was meant to be, it's what god wanted, god wanted to take her home",, etc... viewpoint...?

if i was in her state, i would rather someone put me out of my misery as quickly as possible once they are sure that there's nothing going on upstairs, than leave me to waste away like that. i'm not afraid to go to the other side, i would look forward to the journey, and trust that those taking care of me are sure it's the best thing for me.

Marthatex,

Exactly my point in the above post. Where do we draw the line as to who gets to live and who gets to die? This case set a standard that could have implications that reach much deeper than we ever thought!

Marthatex said:
I predict that as the baby boomers retire and start to die there will be more euthanasia, as in Oregon. Maybe other states will start to allow it. Our Medicare system and health care system, with its already huge costs and shortage of nurses, soon to be shortage of doctors will not be able to support keeping everyone alive who are terminally ill.

It's going to be mind boggling.

You have to remember that the real story with Terri fell somewhere in between the parents and Michael's story. We really don't know what happened. They were both fighting for 2 completly opposite things and stuff was said to benifit each party whether it was from Michael, the parents, lawyers or the media. I agree with whoever made the post about karma. If he did anything wrong he will get his in the end otherwise I wish the best to both of them and hopefully he really didn't do anything to harm Terri b/c I'd hate to see the new wife hurt.

spclk said:
Reb,

I do not disagree with you that we should learn to respect death at all! I do respect it and am not afraid to die. I also believe that every person should have a living will that specifies what they want to happen should this become a situation for them. Therefore, I also respect the fact that if it happened to you then you would want to be put out of your misery.

What I do have a problem with is the fact that you would be charged with a crime if you did that to a dog, but you can do it to a human being. I also have a problem with the fact that this man had moved on with his life....why couldn't he leave her with her parents to decide what she would have wanted. Even criminals are not found guilty if there is "reasonable doubt", and there was certainly doubt as to whether Terri would have wanted to die this way. I know, as a parent, that I know my daughter better than anyone on this earth and NO man will ever be able to read her the way I do. I feel that her parents were more equipped to decide her fate than a husband who had moved on and had children with someone else.

I do find peace in the fact that Terri is with God now. I just believe that we have set the stage for our government and courts to decide whose life has value and whose doesn't and this is VERY SCARY to me.
Perhaps there was no reasonable doubt in her husbands mind. Perhaps they did have the conversation he clams they had. Then it was his legal decision, no one else's. If that's the way it went down, then I have nothing but respect for the man.

I have nothing but the up most empathy for her parents, can't even begin to imagine how they feel .

lynie said:
....basically in some folks eyes this guy can't get anything right!

Ummm.... basically !!

He is a .... nevermind.. I am backing out NOW...
I swear the topic of this, um.. creature, gets brought up just to get a rise outta me!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back