GUILTY FL - Three women, 6yo girl shot to death at Jupiter Thanksgiving dinner, 26 Nov 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I actually went to high school with the twins. I was not particularly good friends with them bc they were not in my same year, but I was in one class with Carla that was an intensive tough course that required a lot of out of school work. Anyhow, I often read about crime stories and most of the family murder suicide just don't hit home for some reason. I didn't even bother to read the story until the day after and then I recognized the names. The twins were very sweet girls and were talented singers. So sad. Especially Lisa being pregnant, but also because he killed his two sisters. How after for the parents. Of course, it is quite odd that he would go after a six year old asleep in bed. Unfortunately, too many websleuths story made me wonder if this had something to do with an abuse/molestation allegation. The Miami Herald is reporting that there are at least two injunction orders/domestic violence issues against him (which were later dropped) due to threatening behavior to one of the twins, Carla. How very sad is all I can say.

Never mind. It looks like the gunman has been estranged from the family at least the little girl's side for 15 years (from before her birth), so I doubt it has anything to trying to cover up abuse or a crime. No, apaprently the gunman is just THAT evil that he would kill a 6 year old at point range that he doesn't even know. How awful! I think I would just die if I was her mother.

Never mind. It looks like the gunman has been estranged from the family at least the little girl's side for 15 years (from before her birth), so I doubt it has anything to trying to cover up abuse or a crime. No, apaprently the gunman is just THAT evil that he would kill a 6 year old at point range that he doesn't even know. How awful! I think I would just die if I was her mother.

To lose your own mother AND your child at the same time. That is unimaginable pain! It seems like she has a very strong relationship with her husband and that makes me glad. I am sending prayers for her healing and comfort.

Wow ... I don't post a lot here anymore b/c m job takes up a lot of my time.

I'm actually a news reporter/anchor. I've been following this since I first heard of this story, because it's just so tragic and horrific. But I can't imagine being on that news team and reporting that story. News teams are very close -- reporter, photogs, anchors, producers, etc. -- we all support each other and become a close knit family.

My heart goes out to the entire family. I hope the is caught. Last I heard, they thought he was on his way to Michigan. Think he may trying to go to Canada?

<snip>

JUPITER, FL -- Among the four killed in Thursday night's quadruple murder in Jupiter was 6-year-old Makayla Sitton, daughter of longtime WPTV photojournalist Jim Sitton and his wife, Muriel.

http://www.wptv.com/mostpopular/sto...im-makayla-sitton/o4dQzBCDU0eXmlvrsRWYhw.cspx

there's a video here, too

Wow ... I don't post a lot here anymore b/c m job takes up a lot of my time.

I'm actually a news reporter/anchor. I've been following this since I first heard of this story, because it's just so tragic and horrific. But I can't imagine being on that news team and reporting that story. News teams are very close -- reporter, photogs, anchors, producers, etc. -- we all support each other and become a close knit family.

My heart goes out to the entire family. I hope the is caught. Last I heard, they thought he was on his way to Michigan. Think he may trying to go to Canada?

BBM
With Birmingham, MI and I-75 being in such close proximity to the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel and Ambassador Bridge, this is a very plausible possibility. I hope Customs and Border Patrol Agents are on high alert. This maniac needs to be brought to justice.

I haven't seen it said anywhere and I certainly hope they were away on a private Thanksgiving getaway or something, but... I imagine the parents of MM and the twins were at this family gathering of 17 and witnessed their own son doing this to their daughters, unborn grandchild and other family members. To add insult to injury, Raymonde Joseph, Makayla's Grandmother, is quite possibly a sibling to one of MM's parents. My heart is absolutely sick for this hurting family.

I hope he doesn't take any more lives, including his own. He needs to be caught and held accountable for this massacre. The loved ones of the deceased deserve answers for why this had to happen.

Suspect in Jupiter killings had troubled relationship with sister

Authorities broadened their search over the weekend for the Miami man they say shot and killed four relatives in Palm Beach County during a family gathering on Thanksgiving Day.

Meanwhile, details have surfaced that provide background into a troubled relationship with one of the victims.

Jupiter police say Paul Michael Merhige, 35, fatally shot his 33-year-old twin sisters, Carla Merhige and Lisa Knight, both of Miami, along with two other relatives -- Raymonde Joseph, 76, and 6-year-old Makayla Sitton. Authorities said Knight was pregnant. The shooter also injured two others, including Patrick Knight, Lisa Knight's husband, police said.

Police say Paul Merhige had been at the home in Jupiter, where more than a dozen relatives were celebrating the holiday. Makayla -- Merhige's cousin -- had recited Psalms 100 from memory and the twins had sung Via De La Rosa. At the end of the night, while the family said their goodbyes, he left and returned about 10 p.m. and began shooting.

Appearing on Good Morning America Saturday, Makayla's father, Jim Sitton, recounted the incident. Sitton said the evening was coming to an end and the family was saying their goodbyes. Then, Sitton said, Merhige left through the front door, went to his car, returned through the back door and opened fire.

GUNSHOTS HEARD
Sitton heard gunshots and saw Carla Merhige -- who was at the front of the house -- drop to the floor. Sitton ran out the back door, thinking the shots were coming from the front of the house and that he was being chased by an unseen gunman.

After exiting, Sitton heard gunshots from inside the house. From outside, he heard shots fired from inside a room where his daughter was in bed.

``I came in the front door and he was gone and she was dead,'' he said.
Sitton -- a South Florida photo and video journalist -- added that while he was aware that Merhige had ``past problems,'' when he was told Merhige would be at the family's Thanksgiving dinner he assumed he ``was getting better.''

``I sat two seats down from him [during dinner],'' Sitton said.
He told The Palm Beach Post his daughter's alleged killer was ``evil'' and ``deranged,'' but that during the evening he had kept mostly quiet.

It's unclear what happened to send Paul Merhige on the rampage, but he and Carla Merhige had previously gone to court in connection with charges of domestic violence, records show.

In 1996, Paul Merhige accused Carla Merhige of domestic violence in a family court case. According to court documents, an injunction was filed, although neither the details of the injunction nor the incident that led to it were available. The case and the injunction were later dismissed.

COURT PETITIONED
In April of 2006, court records show that Carla Merhige accused Paul Merhige of domestic violence. A month later, Carla Merhige petitioned the court to drop that injunction. No criminal charges were filed in either case.

The manhunt for Merhige has been broadened as far as Birmingham, Mich., where police there have issued a Be On The Lookout -- or BOLO -- alert for Merhige and his royal-blue Camry, license plate W42-7JT.

Merhige may have spent time in Michigan, perhaps to seek medical treatment. At least one source who knew Merhige said he had a history of mental problems and suicide attempts.

Police ask that anyone with knowledge of Paul Michael Merhige's whereabouts call 800-458-TIPS.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflorida/story/1356480.html

Jupiter family back home in wake of shootings

Jim and Muriel Sitton returned to their Jupiter home Sunday afternoon for the first time since a Thanksgiving shooting spree killed their 6-year-old daughter and three other relatives.

``They're just trying to get their heads around it,'' said family friend Shannon Cake, a co-worker of Jim Sitton at WPTV-NBC 5 in West Palm Beach, who was at the house with the Sittons on Sunday.

The Sittons hosted a Thanksgiving meal for 17 people at their house. At 10 p.m., police say, Paul Michael Merhige opened fire, killing his aunt, Raymonde Joseph, his twin sisters Carla Merhige and Lisa Knight, and 6-year-old Makayla Sitton.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflorida/story/1357644.html

Funeral tonight for 2 of Thanksgiving Day shooting victims, as nationwide manhunt continues

JUPITER &#8212; Friends and family of four victims of a tragic Thanksgiving Day shooting here are expected to memorialize two of them tonight.

Meanwhile, the manhunt continues for Paul Michael Merhige, who police allege, that on Thanksgiving night opened fire, killing his aunt, Raymonde Joseph, his twin sisters Carla Merhige and Lisa Knight, and 6-year-old Makayla Sitton. Two others attending the dinner also were shot.

Police said Sunday they hope a $10,000 reward will yield tips that lead them to Paul Michael Merhige. The U.S. Marshals Florida Regional Fugitive Task Force offered the reward for information leading to Merhige's arrest. The Palm Beach County State Attorney's Office has issued an arrest warrant for Merhige for four counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder.

Police are looking for Merhige, 35, in Florida and Michigan.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c...for-2-of-thanksgiving-day-shooting-91027.html
R.I.P. :rose: :rose:

RANT:This article says both domestic violence complaints were filed by Carla against PMM, but an earlier article said the complaint in the 90's was filed by PMM against Carla and in 2006 Carla filed one against PMM. So which is it? Did she file both complaints against him or did they each file one against the other? I really wish the media could keep the facts straight. I've seen some sources claiming Makayla is the niece of PMM, but she is his cousin. Also, in the Lakewood Police Ambush one article said "4 officers were shot and killed, 4 males and 1 female", uh, 4+1=5! It's very frustrating when media sources are more worried about being the first to get the info out there and not as worried about double checking their work and fact checking. If they can't get the simple facts right, how are we to believe that any of the information we recieve is the truth and factual? Really irritating and very irresponsible, IMO. End Rant

Jupiter Massacre Suspect Makes Most Wanted List

A man accused of killing four family members on Thanksgiving in their Jupiter home has now made the list of America's Most Wanted.

The FBI, the U.S. Marshalls Service and the Florida Highway Patrol are searching for 35-year-year old Paul Michael Merhige who until recently had lived in a Kendall home with his parents.

Merhige graduated the Gulliver Academy in Pinecrest with honors and went on to attend the University of Miami. Luis Sanchez, the family's long-time handyman, described Merhige as a "conflictive" person, as he spoke with reporters outside the family home.

http://cbs4.com/local/paul.merhige.jupiter.2.1340414.html

This link contains a pic that I haven't seen of PMM.

Suspect in Fla. killings could be in Michigan

State and local police are on the lookout for a man accused of gunning down four family members in Florida on Thanksgiving.

Paul Michael Merhige, 35, is accused of killing his twin sisters, his aunt and a 6-year-old cousin in a home in Jupiter, according to a news release from Jupiter police.

Jupiter police Sgt. Scott Pascarella said Sunday that Merhige had sought the assistance of a doctor at Botsford Hospital in Farmington Hills, and they were extending their search here.

http://www.freep.com/article/200911...Suspect-in-Fla.-killings-could-be-in-Michigan

Still no trace of holiday shooting suspect

JUPITER, FL-- Jupiter Police have now posted three photos of Paul Michael Merhige, the man suspected of pulling out a gun and shooting 6 relatives at a Thanksgiving party. Police say 4 people were murdered, including a six year old girl.

The youngest victim was the daughter of NewsChannel 5 photo-journalist Jim Sitton.

A former FBI profiler thinks it might be hard to track him down. "The more premeditation, more planning involved, credit cards. multiple vehicles, reservations, airplane flights...the more difficult this will be, said Cliff Van Zandt.

http://www.wptv.com/mostpopular/sto...ricas-most-wanted/9Rf_mk05Ek6ijO9D34TfnA.cspx

Man accused of killing four relatives in Jupiter had long history of mental illness, threats against

Merhige's troubled mental history — which included severe depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder — dated back to a nervous breakdown while he was an honors student at the University of Miami, said his mother, Carole Merhige.

"Everything was perfect until he was 19," she said in an interview today.

But since graduating, his mental illness had barred him from holding down a job, and he had an often-violent relationship with his family, one that his mother characterized as "16 years of problems."

Merhige appeared to have made preparations before Thursday's massacre, during which a witness recalled him saying: "I've been waiting 20 years to do this."

Last month, Merhige bought at least two firearms, his mother said, and last week he asked his parents for his passport, which they had kept at their home in the Miami area.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c...s-in-jupiter-91027.html?cxntcid=breaking_news

Michigan authorities told to beware of Florida shooting suspect

Within the past year, Merhige, 35, had sought treatment from a doctor at Botsford Hospital in Farmington Hills, Michigan, Pascarella said. He did not know the doctor's name or specialty, and he downplayed the magnitude of the risk.

"We don't have anything specific that says he is in fact heading to Michigan," he said.

A spokeswoman for the hospital, Nancy Dumas, said she was not aware of the link. Farmington Hills is located northwest of Detroit.

The doctor lives in nearby Birmingham, officials said.

"We've talked to the doctor and taken some precautionary measures, but there's nothing to indicate that he's coming to Birmingham or the state," Birmingham Police Chief Richard Patterson told CNN on Monday. "Apparently, they had developed some information a day after the homicide from either the family members or from a psychologist or psychiatrist that he was out to get everybody who ever touched his life."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/30/florida.shootings/

Court records reveal troubled relationship between suspected killer and slain sister

As Palm Beach County authorities continued their search for Paul Merhige, the Miami man accused of killing four relatives on Thanksgiving, court records show that the suspected killer had a troubled relationship with one of his slain sisters.

In 2006, Carla Merhige, Paul Merhige's younger sister, so feared her brother could turn violent that she went to court to ask a Miami-Dadejudge to keep him away from her.

In her request for a restraining order against him, Carla Merhige claimed that her brother had threatened to kill her -- as well as himself -- and refused to take medication for an unnamed mental illness.

(snipped)

http://www.miamiherald.com/459/story/1358474.html

If what the mother of the shooter and the twins said is true about him being normal until the age of 19, it sure sounds more like schizophrenia than depression/OCD.

It's just so sad that the family had been dealing with this guy for 16 years, and then it ends up with him shooting his family. If he was so depressed, why didn't he just shoot himself and be done with it! :furious:

JMO

911 calls, new photo of Thanksgiving murder suspect released

The woman knows first hand about what happened because Jim and Muriel Sitton had run over to her house pleading for help after Sitton says Mehrige gunned down his relatives, including his daughter 6-year-old Makayla.

The stunned father himself gets on the phone.

Dispatcher: "The person with a gun, is he a white, black or hispanic male?"

Jim Sitton: "He is a hispanic man. He shot a room full of people. I think he shot my 6-year-old daughter"

In all, 4 people were killed including Mehrige's aunt, twin sisters and the little girl.

Police released a new picture of Mehrige Monday night which they say represents what he looks like right now.

http://www.cbs12.com/news/thanksgiving-4722876-new-past.html

Police Chief: Thanksgiving Massacre 'Premeditated'

Jupiter Police Chief Frank Kitzerow said the massacre "was most definitely premeditated and it definitely wasn't spontaneous."

"He had a plan, so I think that makes it even more horrific," Kitzerow said.

Jim Sitton, Makayla's father, said the pain hasn't gotten any easier after a few days.

"You would hope that you'd wake up and it'd be over," he said. "(Instead), you wake up and it's just as bad or even worse as it was the day before."

Jim Sitton spoke to reporters outside the home where the shooting occurred.

"I was really dreading walking in this door for the first time 'cause I just thought Satan was there," he said. "You know, I mean, what kind of monster kills your baby?"

http://www.wpbf.com/mostpopular/21759055/detail.html

:rose: :rose:

Vigil Held For Thanksgiving Mass Murder Victims
Click Below To Listen To 911 Calls

MIAMI (CBS4)-A mass murder on Thanksgiving night led to hundreds of people crying, praying, and remembering twin sisters Carla Merhige and Lisa Knight. Their own brother, Paul Michael Merhige is accused of taking their lives.

The vigil at the twins' church, Our Lady-Lebanon Catholic Church in Miami, shed some light on who they were and the lives they touched. According to the reader at the church, Lisa was overjoyed when she recently learned that she was pregnant.

http://cbs4.com/local/Thanksgiving.Mass.Murder.2.1341981.html

Slain sisters' voices heard again

Four days after the slayings in Jupiter, the songs of twin sisters killed on Thanksgiving night floated from the ceiling of a church whose members had always said they sounded like angels.

Some of the 400-plus people who gathered Monday at Our Lady of Lebanon Maronite Catholic Church in Miami had known Carla Merhige and Lisa Knight for years. Others interacted with them for only three, four, five minutes -- however long it took them to get through the hymn.

Either way, parishioners thought it was most appropriate to play recordings of the 33-year-old sisters during a short vigil to celebrate their lives.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/story/1359268.html

Hundreds attend memorial for twins killed in Thanksgiving slaying in Jupiter

MIAMI &#8212; Father Elie Mikhael, pastor of Our Lady of Lebanon Maronite Catholic Church, seemed to say it best.

At a vigil tonight he said heaven would soon realize the true beauty and goodness of Carla Merhige and her sister Lisa Merhige Knight, who he compared to two roses

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/h...l-for-twins-killed-in-thanksgiving-92296.html

:rose: :rose:

It's so sad anyone had to die - but WHY did he have to go into the 6 year old's room and shoot her??????? she was just a baby.

Source: Father requested that Thanksgiving killer attend holiday meal

The man accused of killing four people at a Thanksgiving dinner in Jupiter was invited at the last minute by his father, who called their host to ask if their mentally troubled son could tag along, a source close to the family said.

Unbeknowst to his father, police say Paul Michael Merhige was already planning a bloody attack.

The 35-year-old Miami man, who had a history of threatening family members, had recently purchased guns and days earlier had reclaimed his passport from his parents, according to his mother.

Prior to Thursday's slayings, Merhige also bought a cover for his blue Toyota Camry, possibly to conceal the car from law enforcement after the attack, the family source told The Palm Beach Post.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c...thanksgiving-killer-attend-holiday-93282.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nothing67
Back