FL - Tracey Nix, two of her grandchildren died in her care in separate incidents (7mo in hot car Nov '22 & 16mo drowned Dec '21)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I read this yesterday. It's so sad. Her daughter wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt and give her a second change. What do you think the grandmother was thinking??

The question is "What was the mom thinking?" Her mother might have been incompetent for many, many reasons.

I'm voting for incompetence rather than "hating the grandkids." Even their mom was fooled.

While it's unusual to have two such tragic accidents, all accidents could be prevented with additional care (I suspect we WSers are more than aware of that, perhaps a bit too vigilant). I watched a 2 year old dart across a parking lot while in care of his dad (there were cars moving in the parking lot - all turned out well, because the other drivers were watching). The 2 year old was relatively cautious - but, he was still a 2 year old. Some parents think their kids are able to avoid unsafe situations at age 2.

I think most accidents to small children are negligent, insofar as if the caretaker never let them near hazards (or out of their sight), they wouldn't have happened. But I have a high standard of caretaking (and so did my parents and so do my kids). We're all super vigilant. When grandparents take care of grandchildren, it's always a 2:1 ratio and both adults are engaged. But a person with memory issues is in a different situation.

IMO

I have an 11 year old Volvo. I fastened a plant into my back seat recently and my car beeped and a message on the dash said rear right belt in use. I was surprised by this but when I mentioned it to colleagues they also said their cars did the same.
Do we know what vehicle grandma was using?

Based on the articles and public interviews of the family, the grandfather was neither present at the time the first child drowned nor was made aware that the grandmother was watching the second child when the grandmother left the second child in the vehicle in the driveway. Based on those assertions, the grandfather is not at all at fault and should not be implicated.

Rather than a case based on generalized bias, this is a case of a specific grandmother being designated the sole individual responsible for two children’s care, and the children subsequently dying while under her care.

Thank you. I couldn't find an article that mentioned the grandfather's account of those two days.

Thanks! for some reason all the articles I find don't mention the grandfather's side of the story.
The thing is if grandpa has made the door secure how did the toddler get out to the pond . I know he was alone with only grandma when grandpa went shopping but is grandpa saying she opened the door for some reason and either forgot , or she opened the door and just lied about it afterwards.

The thing is if grandpa has made the door secure how did the toddler get out to the pond . I know he was alone with only grandma when grandpa went shopping but is grandpa saying she opened the door for some reason and either forgot , or she opened the door and just lied about it afterwards.

Exactly! I don’t think the police mentioned any other door as a possible egress point for the toddler other than the door into the garage. Very odd, IMO.

Last edited:
I’m not sure how the friends can ensure the baby is safe if Grandma was driving to and from lunch, with enough time for the poor infant to overheat in the yard? As well as make whatever driving decisions that could be irresponsible? (Not securing the baby properly, etc.) That explanation would make far more sense if the mom dropped off and picked up the baby at the restaurant. This whole situation is so incredibly tragic. I’m really leaning toward a dementia diagnosis. Jmo
Some with dementia can get mean. But I also wonder if there isn’t some other mental health issues.
If that mug shot says anything to me, it’s either:

She‘s completely unaware of what she’s done
or
She‘s completely aware, and not remorseful at all. Jmo

I'm one of those with a hyper-vigilant family that taught me to be the same way.

When my Grandma was 90+ years old she would forget to wear shoes or put the teakettle on and forget it, but when a small child entered the house she snapped to full adult caretaker mode like a soldier dodging live rounds.

When I was pregnant my Mom gave me all kinds of advice (lectures) that made me feel a bit angry and resentful...but...she was right, and I knew it. She raised six of her own and took care of all her grands, sometimes for months at a time. In our family broken bones just didn't happen until we were old enough to be off on our own or playing on sports teams.

Now? I only have dogs, but I know where every one of them is at all times, and I'm very careful about what they could get into or accidents that could happen.

I hope I'll still be the same way when I have grands to care for, and if not, I hope I've taught my children well enough they are strong enough to say "No, Mom, the baby can't stay with you".

While in court on Thursday, FOX 13 reported that Nix's husband asked Hardee County Judge Reinaldo Ojeda to allow her to go to an in-patient facility in St. Cloud for 30 days in hopes that she would open up and talk about what happened.

Nix's attorney Drew Davis also expressed concerns over her inability to discuss what happened after leaving Uriel in the car.

Nix will appear in court again on June 22. If she is found guilty of aggravated manslaughter, she could face a minimum sentence of 12 years and a maximum of 35 years.

While in court on Thursday, FOX 13 reported that Nix's husband asked Hardee County Judge Reinaldo Ojeda to allow her to go to an in-patient facility in St. Cloud for 30 days in hopes that she would open up and talk about what happened.

Nix's attorney Drew Davis also expressed concerns over her inability to discuss what happened after leaving Uriel in the car.

Nix will appear in court again on June 22. If she is found guilty of aggravated manslaughter, she could face a minimum sentence of 12 years and a maximum of 35 years.

This is so heartbreaking!

“As court adjourned, FOX 13 reported that Kaila embraced her parents – the words "I miss you so much" could be heard during the moment.”

“He said his wife is a “very smart and intelligent person,” but something is clearly off.”

“The attorney said;

“As we all very know, that could very well prove a competency issue down the line, judge. One of the main reasons why we are filing this motion is to nip that in the bud early.”

I’m a little confused— I know Neuropsychological testing can be done as an outpatient— do you think they haven’t had her tested yet for dementia?

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but I guess TN would be admitted to the psych facility as a private pay patient? That is very pricey!
Most insurance companies would not preauthorize a 30 day stay in a facility— they might preauthorize 3 days for severe symptoms ( suicidal/homicidal ideation for example) but then would require ongoing documentation that inpatient care is required.

I also understand someone from the state will call and check each day to make sure sure TN is there and hasn’t fled. I guess GPS monitors wouldn’t work at that distance?

Edit to add: I googled The Blackberry Center and some of the comments by former patients were interesting. Now I think I understand more of what is going on— possibly, not to jump to any conclusions.

IMO.

Last edited:
Also, not to beat a dead horse, but I guess TN would be admitted to the psych facility as a private pay patient? That is very pricey!
Most insurance companies would not preauthorize a 30 day stay in a facility— they might preauthorize 3 days for severe symptoms ( suicidal/homicidal ideation for example) but then would require ongoing documentation that inpatient care is required.

I also understand someone from the state will call and check each day to make sure sure TN is there and hasn’t fled. I guess GPS monitors wouldn’t work at that distance?

Edit to add: I googled The Blackberry Center and some of the comments by former patients were interesting. Now I think I understand more of what is going on— possibly, not to jump to any conclusions.

IMO.
I can’t find any comments. :(
ETA: I do see them now, on the Blackberry website.

Just checking it out, the facility seems to specialize in treating mental illness, as well as substance abuse/ addiction. Is the specific facility she’s been admitted to?

30 days seems a long time just to evaluate for a diagnosis. JMO

Last edited:
I can’t find any comments. :(
ETA: I do see them now, on the Blackberry website.

Just checking it out, the facility seems to specialize in treating mental illness, as well as substance abuse/ addiction. Is the specific facility she’s been admitted to?

30 days seems a long time just to evaluate for a diagnosis. JMO

I think so too… it’s hard to find main stream media articles that address this, but from general knowledge, I’ve heard a 30 day stay is pretty typical for alcohol or drug rehab. Here’s one article I found:

“Marvin Ventrell, executive director of the National Association of Addiction Treatment Providers, has studied the model's history. He says the month-long standard comes from the notion that when "someone is suffering from addiction — and in the days that this began, we're pretty much talking about alcoholism — it made sense to people that it took about four weeks to stabilize somebody.

And then, Ventrell says, "It became the norm because the insurance industry was willing to pay for that period of time."

Now the model has spread to treatment for opioid addiction, even though recovering from addiction to those powerful drugs may require a different method.”

So it looks 30 day stays are pretty typical for drug/alcohol rehab, and may be covered by insurance.I’m not saying that is why a 30 day stay is planned here, but a possibility? The attorney says it is “to get her to open up and talk” which could be a part of addiction treatment also. IMO.

Last edited:
This is so heartbreaking!

“As court adjourned, FOX 13 reported that Kaila embraced her parents – the words "I miss you so much" could be heard during the moment.”
Holy heck.
One can recognize loyalty to a relative.
But the lives of our babies (for those of us who are parents or caregivers here) matter, too.
Personally not sure I could utter those words.
Just saying.
Imo.

I have an 11 year old Volvo. I fastened a plant into my back seat recently and my car beeped and a message on the dash said rear right belt in use. I was surprised by this but when I mentioned it to colleagues they also said their cars did the same.
Do we know what vehicle grandma was using?
My Subaru dings and flashes a "check the backseat" message if I have opened the back doors before my drive. Doesn't matter if I put anything back there or not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back