FL - Tracey Nix, two of her grandchildren died in her care in separate incidents (7mo in hot car Nov '22 & 16mo drowned Dec '21)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For context. This is what Kalia said:

...The I-Team contacted Kaila after the hearing and she said, "I chose to hug her to say goodbye to my mother because things are too far gone, and so while it might've looked as a hug of support, I don't know when and if I will ever touch or look or be near her in such a way again. So I treated her like I treated my son as I removed him off of life support. I hugged her and I told her that I loved her regardless because I knew it was goodbye. I knew it was goodbye."...

For context. This is what Kalia said:

...The I-Team contacted Kaila after the hearing and she said, "I chose to hug her to say goodbye to my mother because things are too far gone, and so while it might've looked as a hug of support, I don't know when and if I will ever touch or look or be near her in such a way again. So I treated her like I treated my son as I removed him off of life support. I hugged her and I told her that I loved her regardless because I knew it was goodbye. I knew it was goodbye."...

Reading that broke my heart even more for Kaila.

What a horrific situation. Cannot imagine.

Just saw ^ abcactionnews.com article, w a link to this:
13 pages pdf of reports from Hardee County Sheriff's investigation of drowning death of toddler in Dec. 2021.
G'ma Tracey tells LE about her meds.
LEO checks door lever (lever) height, asks MedExam'r about toddler reach.
And more.

Jumping into thread at low 100 posts, w'out reading any other posts. Sorry if already linked & discussed.

Last edited:
I can’t find any comments. :(
ETA: I do see them now, on the Blackberry website.

Just checking it out, the facility seems to specialize in treating mental illness, as well as substance abuse/ addiction. Is the specific facility she’s been admitted to?

30 days seems a long time just to evaluate for a diagnosis. JMO
The Google reviews on this facility leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't send anyone there for any type of treatment.
MOO

What a horrific situation. Cannot imagine.

Just saw ^ abcactionnews.com article, w a link to this:
13 pages pdf of reports from Hardee County Sheriff's investigation of drowning death of toddler in Dec. 2021.
G'ma Tracey tells LE about her meds.
LEO checks door lever (lever) height, asks MedExam'r about toddler reach.
And more.

Jumping into thread at low 100 posts, w'out reading any other posts. Sorry if already linked & discussed.

Hmmm, maybe there is a substance abuse problem? My grandmother fell, and was admitted to rehabilitation after the fall, it was then, that we found out her "real" problem was legally prescribed medications. She had been "doctor shopping", and had scripts filled from several different providers and pharmacies.

She was basically in rehabilitation to get off of all the meds she was taking. It was crazy.

My heart goes out to the parents who lost two children.

Just speculation until more is known - was the grandmother not really "up" for babysitting these children but didn't want to admit it? So she wasn't really engaging with them, and that, combined with whatever second issue it seems she has, led to tragedy twice?
Were family members aware of her issues?

As a teenager, I remember a few times that I was babysitting and exhausted but didn't know how to say no. I came very very close to falling asleep while babysitting three children once. I remember sitting there on the floor fighting to stay awake. So falling asleep can happen. I also think accidentally forgetting a child in a car can happen.
It seems like there's a lot more to this case, though.

1sr Death. Considered Collectively, What Do theseDetails Suggest?
Hmmm, maybe there is a substance abuse problem?....
snipped for focus @Mickey2492
Agreed, med abuse could be a factor or the biggest factor.
G'ma said she'd taken ___ for 15(?) yrs; names of meds (& side effects?) were redacted.

A few other things caught my attn.
G'pa said, when he left, Tracey was awake.
G'ma said: she was asleep, says, maybe the meds.

G'pa said he c/h/bn. gone "up to AN hour."
Later interview G'pa said, "about 2 hours.

G'pa said toddler could open (their) house doors.
Same day G'ma said toddler not able.
Q: did LE interview separately?

G'pa said he put "metal Dachshund doorstop behind the door," to prevent toddler from leaving, that day (& other times?).
G'ma said doorstop was to prevent cat from leaving. Toddler cannot open doors, so not needed for him.

G'pa said toddler does not like water, not like baths (w. brother).
G'ma said he loves baths.

G'pa said, would take him on "side-by-side" to see ducks & other animals at pond.

G'ma said, when she saw toddler was missing, she got in car, drove 343 ft down driveway, turned, drove 817 ft, then returned, thinking toddler could not have walked that far.
Hmm. Toddler was found about 340+ ft from garage door.

G'ma said, coming back in driveway, she does not know why, but she looked pond, saw something white. Thought it was not toddler, then knew it was.
Q: When waking up & not finding toddler in house, w his love of baths, why did she not immed.'ly think of toddler being in pond? A Per LE report: "A large pond that is stocked with ducks... within feet of their home." sbm

This series of reports in pdf has no interviews w Mother & Father about toddler's capabilities (reach) & likes (water? bath? ducks?). Seems odd imo if LE did not speak w them. Why not include info in reports?

Anyway horrid beyond imagination, that a second child died too.

Last edited:
1sr Death. Considered Collectively, What Do theseDetails Suggest?

snipped for focus @Mickey2492
Agreed, med abuse could be a factor or the biggest factor.
G'ma said she'd taken ___ for 15(?) yrs; names of meds (& side effects?) were redacted.

A few other things caught my attn.
G'pa said, when he left, Tracey was awake.
G'ma said: she was asleep, says, maybe the meds.

G'pa said he c/h/bn. gone "up to AN hour."
Later interview G'pa said, "about 2 hours.

G'pa said toddler could open (their) house doors.
Same day G'ma said toddler not able.
Q: did LE interview separately?

G'pa said he put "metal Dachshund doorstop behind the door," to prevent toddler from leaving, that day (& other times?).
G'ma said doorstop was to prevent cat from leaving. Toddler cannot open doors, so not needed for him.

G'pa said toddler does not like water, not like baths (w. brother).
G'ma said he loves baths.

G'pa said, would take him on "side-by-side" to see ducks & other animals at pond.

G'ma said, when she saw toddler was missing, she got in car, drove 343 ft down driveway, turned, drove 817 ft, then returned, thinking toddler could not have walked that far.
Hmm. Toddler was found about 340+ ft from garage door.

G'ma said, coming back in driveway, she does not know why, but she looked pond, saw something white. Thought it was not toddler, then knew it was.
Q: When waking up & not finding toddler in house, w his love of baths, why did she not immed.'ly think of toddler being in pond? A Per LE report: "A large pond that is stocked with ducks... within feet of their home." sbm

This series of reports in pdf has no interviews w Mother & Father about toddler's capabilities (reach) & likes (water? bath? ducks?). Seems odd imo if LE did not speak w them. Why not include info in reports?

Anyway horrid beyond imagination, that a second child died too.
I really suspect Grandma has cognitive issues, possibly complicated by whatever medications she is on. Perhaps there was alcohol use as well?
In combination can strongly affect one’s alertness, memory, judgment, decision making, etc. JMO
I can’t forget her mug shot. The look in her eyes gives me serious pause. JMO

I think grandma was abusing her medication, and grandpa knew it, but might have thought because it was from a dr, it was okay for her to keep taking. Or maybe he was codependent and tried to keep it behind closed doors.

I know others have mentioned this but it does seem odd that no one told grandpa that grandmom was going to be bringing the baby home from lunch with her. Especially since it was the first time watching her without the parents there. Not trying to assign blame in any way, just interesting to me. IMO.

I know others have mentioned this but it does seem odd that no one told grandpa that grandmom was going to be bringing the baby home from lunch with her. Especially since it was the first time watching her without the parents there. Not trying to assign blame in any way, just interesting to me. IMO.
That stood out to me also. He was given no heads up?

Her mental health stay has been extended ( interesting they don’t refer to it as psychiatric hospitalization, just “mental health stay”):

“Thursday's hearing focused on whether to extend her 30-day stay an additional 10 days after the Blackberry Center wrote a letter to the court asking for more time.

The state had no objection as long as Nix continued daily check-ins with the court. Nix joined the hearing remotely, sitting next to her therapist from the Blackberry Center.”

Sounds like detox to me.

I don't know anything about the Blackberry Center, but they claim they're a dual diagnosis facility. Not all inpatient psych hospitals are equipped to treat addiction and not all detox/rehab hospitals can treat general psych conditions, but dual diagnosis facilities are equipped to handle both. Just because someone lands in a dual diagnosis, it doesn't mean they have addiction problems. Dual dx hospitals also function as general psych hospitals. Really, the only difference is that if someone has an underlying addiction issue, they can treat both. But just being there doesn't mean you have an addiction issue.

"The hospital has programs that address a broad spectrum of mental health issues that can be tailored to patient needs, including dual diagnosis treatment and general psychiatric care."

I was just looking at the Hardee County circuit court website. Looks like the defense was granted a continuance on 10/19/23 and the next court appearance is scheduled 1/25/24.

The defense submitted a discovery document which lists 3 doctors as defense experts, along with a PA and various medical records custodians.

Dual Dx Facilities.
.... a dual diagnosis facility. Not all inpatient psych hospitals are equipped to treat addiction and not all detox/rehab hospitals can treat general psych conditions, but dual diagnosis facilities are equipped to handle both....
snipped for focus @BeginnerSleuther
Thx for once again shining light on an area that's ripe for confusion or misunderstanding by those of us who don't walk & talk in the world of modern medicine everyday. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back