FL - Tracy Ocasio, 27, Orlando/Ocoee, 27 May 2009 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was awesome, Amytlake! I had no idea they were all so close together! If you have time again, can you pinpoint where the area was that Hataway said he was looking for his friend that is also missing? TIA!!!

:blowkiss:

at 4:30am there was an outgoing call FROM her phone. From what i have heard, the call was to a friend of hers (however that hasn't been made public so i don't know that for sure). I do know that whoever was called, didn't answer the phone. The police have not released the ping location or the identity of the person called. To me that's significant. Where did it ping? Was it identified to ping from the same tower by Hataway's house as it did when her parents called at 8:30am? I guess we have to wait to find out. I believe the last identified ping was from the 8:30am call - i assume her phone died after that or the battery was removed.
Either way the 4:30am call is odd. Who made the call, and why? was it to coverup something? was it an accidental call made by a stranger picking up the phone? Such an odd piece to the puzzle.

Wow Amy, you are good! Thanks for all the hard work and info! Was the ping a call from her phone, to her phone or a text incoming or outgoing? How do we know? I'm not the resident ping expert or anything but I thought a cell could ping for incoming or outgoing calls or texts. Could she have gotten a text from a friend at 4:30? Where the heck is the phone???

Battery probably dead now right? If off, GPS won't work right? sigh....

OH! and the map is awesome!:blowkiss:

Wow Amy, you are good! Thanks for all the hard work and info! Was the ping a call from her phone, to her phone or a text incoming or outgoing? How do we know? I'm not the resident ping expert or anything but I thought a cell could ping for incoming or outgoing calls or texts. Could she have gotten a text from a friend at 4:30? Where the heck is the phone???

Battery probably dead now right? If off, GPS won't work right? sigh....

OH! and the map is awesome!:blowkiss:

I don't know where I read this,and I cannot say if the info was accurate, but, I remember reading that even when the battery is depleted a cell phone's GPS still works. Remember the case in Kansas where the girl was taken from a Target parking lot? Her body was located because of her phone several days after her abduction. So, having said that, the location of Traci's phone remains a mystery. I have to think that LE would have located her phone if at all possible. There is so much not being said in this case. Hopefully, LE has a lot more info than is being released to the public at this time.

Amytlake - thanks again for all of your work. I get more info from you here on this thread than from anywhere else. This case has gripped me - and ITA about the 4:30 am outgoing call from her phone. It is significant, and could unlock the key to info that would help find her.

I don't know where I read this,and I cannot say if the info was accurate, but, I remember reading that even when the battery is depleted a cell phone's GPS still works. Remember the case in Kansas where the girl was taken from a Target parking lot? Her body was located because of her phone several days after her abduction. So, having said that, the location of Traci's phone remains a mystery. I have to think that LE would have located her phone if at all possible. There is so much not being said in this case. Hopefully, LE has a lot more info than is being released to the public at this time.
I read this too either off of a comment in the orlando sentinel or on blink soon after she went missing. I read exactly what you wrote - that it should be possible to locate the phone via GPS even if the battery is dead. I wonder why that isn't the case with this? I know the TES searchers searched in the area of her car/Hataway's house on Saturday tasked with "find the phone and the car keys".. so police do not have them - and TES didn't find them either. It's possible the keys/phone were thrown in a nearby trashcan/dumpster and the trash was taken that morning (or following morning). I was told by a TES leader that when dumped, trash is equipped with a GPS and so officals can locate the exact area in the landfill/dump where a specific dumpster/area of trash was dumped. I also was told that sanitation workers/dump personel are trained to smell decomposition and are supposed to alert someone when they smell it.
I don't think that Hataway is ever going to talk, so it's imperative that police continue to question his friends and I hope TES stays through the week.

I don't think you can still get a signal from a cell phone when its dead or if someone took the battary out if that were the case i think we would hear alot more about people being found or at least the phones being found like casey anthony's missing phone stuff like that.The 4am Phone call does sound suspiscious to me too but then i remembered she was at a bar drinking most of us can relate to making those kinda phone calls to a freind when out drinking for the night.

I read this too either off of a comment in the orlando sentinel or on blink soon after she went missing. I read exactly what you wrote - that it should be possible to locate the phone via GPS even if the battery is dead. I wonder why that isn't the case with this? I know the TES searchers searched in the area of her car/Hataway's house on Saturday tasked with "find the phone and the car keys".. so police do not have them - and TES didn't find them either. It's possible the keys/phone were thrown in a nearby trashcan/dumpster and the trash was taken that morning (or following morning). I was told by a TES leader that when dumped, trash is equipped with a GPS and so officals can locate the exact area in the landfill/dump where a specific dumpster/area of trash was dumped. I also was told that sanitation workers/dump personel are trained to smell decomposition and are supposed to alert someone when they smell it.
I don't think that Hataway is ever going to talk, so it's imperative that police continue to question his friends and I hope TES stays through the week.

I believe the gps doesn't exist on some types of cell phones, we don't know what kind she has do we? Also, battery removed will stop the gps IIRC but I may be wrong.

Sorry to keep on this but HOW do we know it was an OUTGOING call? Sometimes media will misconstrue news :eek: surprised? They hear "cell phone pinged" and report "outgoing call"...I was just wondering if this was a statement made to media through TES or LE or just a random report by a media station?

it was confirmed with phone records and i heard it from friends of the family as well.
I believe the gps doesn't exist on some types of cell phones, we don't know what kind she has do we? Also, battery removed will stop the gps IIRC but I may be wrong.

Sorry to keep on this but HOW do we know it was an OUTGOING call? Sometimes media will misconstrue news :eek: surprised? They hear "cell phone pinged" and report "outgoing call"...I was just wondering if this was a statement made to media through TES or LE or just a random report by a media station?

I don't think you can still get a signal from a cell phone when its dead or if someone took the battary out if that were the case i think we would hear alot more about people being found or at least the phones being found like casey anthony's missing phone stuff like that.The 4am Phone call does sound suspiscious to me too but then i remembered she was at a bar drinking most of us can relate to making those kinda phone calls to a freind when out drinking for the night.

She had already left the bar with Hataway and by his account, he last saw her at 2:30 am. I think that he made sexual advances to her in the car & she possibly thwarted his advances which ticked him off and imo strangled her out of anger! Maybe her phone was in her pocket and when she was dumped wherever, her phone did the butt dial. I certainly hope that the police are zero'ing by the pings at 4:30 am & 8:30 am. Wherever those pings are, she is most likely within a 3 mile radius. JMO

IIRC, the police reported it to the media that there was an outgoing call from her phone at 4:30 am and that they know who the call was made to and have already spoken to that person but will not release anymore details about it.

Found this from wftv.com
Investigators say Hataway claims that Ocasio left right away, around 2:30am. However, cell phone records show she was in the area until 8:30am Wednesday morning.

http://www.wftv.com/news/19629035/detail.html

Cocoamom asked if I could answer a few questions about cell phones and GPS:

Will the GPS on a cell phone work if the battery is removed?
No. The GPS function is implemented using an antenna and a microprocessor chip (I believe nowadays the function is integrated on the same chip as most of the remaining cell phone electronics). The transmitter / receiver and the microprocessor chip all require electricity to operate. With the battery removed, there is no source of electricity. Cell phones do not come with a big capacitor to maintain charge for a period of time after the battery is removed.
Will the GPS on a cell phone work if the phone is off?
No. When the phone is turned off, the electronics are really put into a "deep sleep" mode to conserve as much power (and battery life) as possible. The only electronics active when a phone is off is the sense circuitry for the on/off button.
A reported Ping can be incoming or outgoing right?
Yes. Incoming and outgoing pings (calls and texts) are both registered by the tower. The exception is a call that is never answered, even if it goes to voicemail. In that case the provider network will record the event, but no tower will be associated with it because no tower actually handled a call or text. A call that goes to voicemail does not do so through a cell tower. It does so through a central office computer.
Can a phone ping if it is not in use but on?
Yes. By not in use, I presume what is meant is that no calls are being made or texts being sent. An incoming text, which does not require the user of the phone to handle the phone, will cause a cell tower ping and this will show up in the tower records. (Incedentally, if a bunch of texts are sent to a cell phone while it is off will show up as a flurry of text pings when the phone is turned back on).

There are also roaming pings that occur periodically between a cell phone and a tower. By periodically, I mean about once per minute, maybe even once every 15 seconds or so. This ping is not associated with calls or texts. It is a "handshake" between the phone and a tower, basically letting the two know they are in contact. This ping is what tells your phone the signal strength (number of bars). The cell tower does record these pings, but because there are so many of them, it erases them (writes over them) very frequently. I recall reading at one point they would be kept for at most one day.
Hope that helps!

JWG :bow: glad to see your input!

Apologies up front. I'll ask and keep reading...

Are the following pieces of information available?

1) Last sighting of the victim - date/time & location
2) Last sighting of the POI prior to (1) - date/time & location
3) First sighting of the POI following the best determined time of the victim's disappearance - date/time & location

TIA!

3) First sighting of the POI following the best determined time of the victim's disappearance - date/time & location

TIA!

Bond, check the Astro thread:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Forensic Astrology - CASE BRIEFINGS only

Thanks,
Soulscape

And BondJamesBond too? :bow: Sorry I admire what you both bring to the boards! (JWG too) :)

I deleted my last post because TES has sent a different version they would like to use. I'll post it as a separate entry so it is easy to cut and paste for those who want to help spread the word. Thanks again for the help.

Do you wish you could help Texas Equusearch search for Tracy Ocasio and think you can't?
Even if you can't help search you can help Texas Equusearch just by passing this along.
Please post this information everywhere and post the tiny URL links to your twitter account. Please ask others to pass it along.

Texas Equusearch needs volunteer searchers! They will be searching again tomorrow Wednesday, 17 June. Future searches will be determined on a daily basis.
This link is to the Texas Equusearch website containing the latest updates on the Tracy Ocasio search plus a map
to the search command center.

http://tinyurl.com/mq3vvp

Thank you for your help!
Let's find Tracy Ocasio!

Tues. 5/26/09 around 1 AM Tap Room Bar, 6409 Raleigh Street, Orlando(media reports)
Monday. 5/25/09 evening dropped off at Tap Room Bar Orlando by friend Justin Sharpe - interviewed by police on Tues. morning (media reports)
Tues. 5/26/09 early AM approx 2:30 at home with father 147 Lyle St. Ocoee, FL (media reports of father's statements)

Father:
Virgil Dale H******
DOB 12/18/1952 (hope it's OK to post DOB) record in Hillborough County resides with POI.

TIA!

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members