FL - Trenton Giachetti, 5 mos, drowned in bathtub, Ormond Beach, 6 April 2009

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Many mothers I've spoken with had thoughts of "deep sixing" the kiddies at one point or another, those who were honest enough to talk about their feelings. Having negative feeling about your children isn't a crime - acting on it is where the problems come in.
yeah that is true

I respectfully disagree. You love your child, your dress her all up pretty. Others do NOT want their children - and that IS ok. No one should be forced by society or otherwise to give birth to, or keep, a child they do not want. When society understands, wonderful, perfect mothers included, THEN, and only THEN, will our society become one that is workable. Until THEN there WILL be dead children and there will be "perfect" parents screaming for the blood of those who are less than perfect.

Edited to add: I respect YOUR motherhood. The motherhood, or lack thereof of others, needs to be RESPECTED also by others.

My opinion only

I respect that 'motherhood' doesn't come naturally to some. I, myself, do not know any 'perfect' parents.

I understand the struggles of motherhood as well. I only have 3 boys, ages 4, 3 & 3. They have all pushed me to my limits, but, NEVER have I thought of killing them. When I am feeling overly stressed, I reach for the phone, to just talk or ask someone to come over and give me a break.

When children are killed by their parents, a definite 'line' has been crossed. Do I think all parents are capable of killing their own child? I don't think so, but I am not 100% sure.

The fact is, everyone is responsible for their own actions, regardless of their circumstances. For all the excuses out there for killing your child, I can think of more excuses to not.

I applaud you for raising 6 children, I'm sure it was alot of work.

Many mothers I've spoken with had thoughts of "deep sixing" the kiddies at one point or another, those who were honest enough to talk about their feelings. Having negative feeling about your children isn't a crime - acting on it is where the problems come in.

Great statement. I have had negative feelings, I can't think of a mother I know that hasn't.

I respect that 'motherhood' doesn't come naturally to some. I, myself, do not know any 'perfect' parents.

I understand the struggles of motherhood as well. I only have 3 boys, ages 4, 3 & 3. They have all pushed me to my limits, but, NEVER have I thought of killing them. When I am feeling overly stressed, I reach for the phone, to just talk or ask someone to come over and give me a break.

When children are killed by their parents, a definite 'line' has been crossed. Do I think all parents are capable of killing their own child? I don't think so, but I am not 100% sure.

The fact is, everyone is responsible for their own actions, regardless of their circumstances. For all the excuses out there for killing your child, I can think of more excuses to not.

I applaud you for raising 6 children, I'm sure it was alot of work.

Bolding mine.

You're very fortunate to have someone who will help you, who will listen to your feeling without being judgmental. Not all parents have that luxury, and luxury it is because most people will come across as properly shocked that there is a mother in this world who gets stressed and cannot cope at any given point. I think this is where I'm really coming from. If there was more help and less judgment, one-upmanship, if you will, this would be a better world and less children would be hurt/killed. But, alas, there are too many people needing to put others down in order to make themselves feel better. If the day ever comes when truth and honesty can be respected this might be a better, safer world.

But, this is only my opinion.

Maybe the answer is to force someone who has a baby prove that the baby is indeed wanted and they can care for the baby after they are born. People who want to adopt have to jump through all kinds of hoops to show they are worthy, yet anybody (if possible) can give birth and they can then call the baby their own. If you can't support the baby then you don't get to take them home, if you are a druggie then you can't take them home, if you can't show you have adequate common sense then you can't take them home. If you aren't willing to put forth a bit of effort to show you want the child, then you don't get to keep them.
I'm sick of hearing of so many babies who it appears were not loved and treasured the way they deserve. I don't understand why the mothers do this when there are so many other choices.

VB

But, alas, there are too many people needing to put others down in order to make themselves feel better.

I'm sorry, but in the context of this conversation I think that's ludicrous.

I don't have to be a perfect mother to put this woman down. I put her down because she drowned her five month-old son. She couldn't wait to give him to a friend or drive to the closest hospital. She took a little, helpless boy, a boy that might have thought he was going to get a bottle or interacted with, and let him die an awful death.

I have never once contemplated killing my babies. There have been days where I want to let them go to grandma's for a few hours, but never has the thought of infanticide crossed my mind. That doesn't make me a perfect mother. It just makes me a mother. I think women who entertain the thought need to explore therapy and quickly.

Probably not politically correct to say, but my mind boggles at the implication that you're an elitist person if you don't make excuses for someone who would commit the most heinous of crimes. There are no victims more defenseless.

I'm sorry, but in the context of this conversation I think that's ludicrous.

I don't have to be a perfect mother to put this woman down. I put her down because she drowned her five month-old son. She couldn't wait to give him to a friend or drive to the closest hospital. She took a little, helpless boy, a boy that might have thought he was going to get a bottle or interacted with, and let him die an awful death.

I have never once contemplated killing my babies. There have been days where I want to let them go to grandma's for a few hours, but never has the thought of infanticide crossed my mind. That doesn't make me a perfect mother. It just makes me a mother. I think women who entertain the thought need to explore therapy and quickly.

Probably not politically correct to say, but my mind boggles at the implication that you're an elitist person if you don't make excuses for someone who would commit the most heinous of crimes. There are no victims more defenseless.

I totally agree with you. :clap::clap:

From Lovejac's link:
"The Department of Children and Families has joined the Volusia County Sheriff's Office in the investigation. Family and friends said they have called DCF regarding concerns of neglect and drug use as recent as Monday morning before Trenton's death. DCF will neither confirm nor deny that it has received calls about drugs or Trenton's safety, but the Volusia County Sheriff's Office said it has received prior complaints alleging drug activity at Trenton's home."

I looks like people tried to do right by the baby...

Also there are more interesting comments after the Daytona News Journal's article:
http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/frtHEAD02040709.htm

Edited to Add:
"Autopsy reveals infant's death accidental"
http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Local/newEAST01040809.htm

I'm totally lost on how this could be an "accident" and hope it doesn't mean the so called "mother" is going to get by with murder. And I'm sorry but considering the age of the child that's exactly what I call it. Murder. You don't put a baby in a bathtub, turn the water on and LEAVE!!! Not to go get a diaper, not to go get more drugs, not for any reason! Again, I'm seriously hoping this is listed (only) as the COD and has nothing to do with the criminal investigation??

I was being pretty silent on this subject. Postpartum mood disorder originally entered my mind when first reading the headline. And no, I'm not trying to excuse what's happened here. As a previous sufferer of postpartum psychosis I understand more than the average person who hasn't suffered from a PP mood disorder. Now ME has ruled it an accident. I wonder what the details are? :confused:

I still won't rule out some type of postpartum mood disorder at this point.

I completely agree with the last sentence. We as a society need to let all mothers know it's okay to get help. Admitting to intrusive thoughts of harming your child is one of the hardest things a mother can do. With proper support surrounding the mother and family a favorable outcome is achievable.

Oh my heart breaks for the Aunt and Uncle. This is just sad. They will have to live with the feeling that they did not do enough soon enough (no I don't blame them).
This girl was probably getting really high one last time before she left for NY. So sad this baby suffered do to the mother's problem.

It looks like the friend is real clear about not being the one in charge of the baby...

"The mother of an infant who drowned in a bathtub earlier this week blames her best friend for leaving the child unattended the morning of the accident.

But that best friend and another woman who slept over at Christal Giachetti's home the night before the 4-month-old boy drowned said they were asleep when the tragedy occurred and that Giachetti was the only one handling baby Trenton Giachetti before he died.

The accounts from the two women shed new light on the frantic moments Monday morning inside the mobile home on Avenue H when the baby's body was discovered in the tub. "

Much more at link:
http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/frtHEAD02040909.htm

and at least the child's death is being investigated...

"Sheriff's investigators would not release further information concerning the case, saying it is still under investigation.

However, a person at the scene disclosed Wednesday that investigators took several items from Giachetti's mobile home. They included six empty pill bottles, three carpets, baby formula and a pink bag containing syringes. Giachetti said investigators had a blood sample taken from her."

WOW! snipped from article:

The first thing I knew is that Christal was screaming my name and I woke up," 22-year-old Amanda Budgen said Wednesday. "She was holding the baby and I grabbed him and began doing CPR. I was able to get some water out of his mouth.

"At one point she (Giachetti) said to me, 'I don't know how he got into the bathtub,' " Budgen said.

As Budgen tried to revive the infant, she said a frantic Giachetti told her to go get Giachetti's mother, who lives two blocks away in the same subdivision known as Daytona Pines.

"She sent away the only person who knew how to do CPR," Budgen said. "I had no idea she didn't know how to do CPR."

===============================================

This is even more heartbreaking, her friend might have been able to save him!

On the comments under the article, people keep commenting on her MySpace page. I would LOVE to see it. However, I'm having trouble finding it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I don't know much about MySpace. Facebook's my thing!

ETA: found it http://www.myspace.com/christal5

On the comments under the article, people keep commenting on her MySpace page. I would LOVE to see it. However, I'm having trouble finding it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I don't know much about MySpace. Facebook's my thing!

ETA: found it http://www.myspace.com/christal5

Dang it! She set her profile to private! I hope you guys got to see some of her pics last night.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back