FL FL - Wendy Huggy, 16, Clearwater, 7 April 1982

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Pasco Sheriff's Office posted Wendy's case on their Facebook page today.

https://www.facebook.com/pascosheriff/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf
Thanks ladygator for noticing the PCSO FB post today about Wendy Huggy. It’s approaching the 35[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary of her 1982 disappearance.

I’m copying the official PCSO FB post:
https://www.facebook.com/pascosheri...881115950107/1360410477330492/?type=3&theater
On 4/15/1982 Wendy Huggy was reported missing by her grandfather to the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office. Wendy was last seen on 4/7/1982 when her grandfather had dropped her off at the Patricia Apartments located at the corner of Belcher and Nursery Road in Clearwater Florida. Wendy was supposed to have visited her friend. Her grandfather received a phone call from her later in the evening indicating she would be home later. Wendy was never heard from or seen again.

If you have any information please contact Sgt. Hatcher at jhatcher@pascosheriff.org, Det. Koenig at tkoenig@pascosheriff.org or Det. Harris at tharris@pascosheriff.org. To be eligible for up to a $3,000 reward, please contact the Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay, Inc. at 1-800-873-TIPS or submit a tip online – https://www.tipsubmit.com/WebTips.aspx?AgencyID=615

17554193_1360410477330492_3185580676107987906_n.jpg

I'm sorry there's still no word about your friend.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Thanks. It's just so sad to think it's been so many years. It was the same weekend that my dad's female friend was murdered. Bad memories. I didn't even know about Wendy until years and years later. Recognized her name on national missing kids many years ago and then realized it was the same weekend. So long ago yet still unanswered as to what happened to her.

My father used to tell me that I had a gift, a photographic memory. I've always considered it a curse. I have all these memories all the way back to when I was 2 years old stuck in my head. They are vivid memories. I can tell you the exact layout of our house when I was 2 down to the color of the furniture. There they are stuck in my head like it was yesterday. I try to forget, honestly I do. When I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis I thought great maybe the lesions will make me forget. Nope.
I can tell you what Wendy was wearing the last time I saw her as well the band's name we where all watching and that she had a deck of tarot cards she was playing with sitting on the ground by the storage units where the band played as she told me about her "old man" and I stood there in awe at 15 thinking wow someone could be married at our age?
I also remember Countryside mall well. My mother worked there at a travel agency, shortly after the mall opened around 1975, and so did I years later at Morrisons across from Aladdin's Castle and then I moved to JCPennys. The game room was my second home really. It also sucked up most of my pay checks lol. I was your true mall rat even spending my off days there.

<modsnip: Do not discuss individuals who are not officially named POIs or suspects>

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you remember the name of the park? What road it's off of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Long story short, I was inspired to look around for articles about possible missing persons being in the Gulf of Mexico, and stumbled across this article from 2014. It just happens to mention Wendy, but it's also about Amy Hurst's discovery. I thought I'd post a link because it's been nearly a year since anyone has posted anything here and it could use a bump.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wendy-huggy-amy-hurst-missing-could-florida-cold-cases-be-connected-2/

(apologies if this has been posted before, I searched the thread and didn't find it at first glance)

I hadn't thought about this case in awhile. I know the area a bit, I lived right off of Clearwater-Largo rd and ponce deleon and worked at the Largo Walmart on Missouri back in the early 2000s. This case is definitely an enigma! Wish we had more facts to work with.

I hadn't thought about this case in awhile. I know the area a bit, I lived right off of Clearwater-Largo rd and ponce deleon and worked at the Largo Walmart on Missouri back in the early 2000s. This case is definitely an enigma! Wish we had more facts to work with.
Yes, it's quite a mystery. Though, I think if Pasco Sheriff's take a fresh look at her case they could maybe find something that they could have over looked or didn't seem important at the time. I see it on crime shows where this happens.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
New Charley P. link for Wendy Wendy Lynn Huggy – The Charley Project

huggy_wendy3.jpg
huggy_wendy4.jpg

In the file:
Medical Conditions: Wendy was pregnant at the time of her disappearance.

Details of Disappearance
Wendy was last seen in Clearwater, Florida on April 7, 1982. Her grandmother dropped her off a few blocks from the Patrician Apartments at Nursery and Belcher Roads, where her uncle lived. Huggy was supposed to meet him that day.

At some point she met a female friend who lived in the same apartment complex, and she, her friend and her friend's mother went to Clearwater Beach. Wendy, who didn't have a car of her own, got a ride from the beach to the Countryside Mall. From there, she called her grandfather to say a man named Don would be driving her home.

Wendy was scheduled to return to her grandmother's house later in the evening, and start a new job at a fast food restaurant the next day. She never arrived home and her family never saw or heard from her again.

Wendy resided in Holiday, Florida at the time of her 1982 disappearance. She was born in Illinois. Her mother, a flight attendant, was often unable to care for her due to the demands of her job, so Wendy spent a lot of time in Florida with her grandparents.

She had gotten married in Illinois, but her marriage was unhappy and she left her husband and moved back to Florida in 1982. She had dropped out of high school, but received her GED certificate and hoped to attend cosmetology school.

Her grandparents reported her missing a week after she was last seen, but the police decided she was a runaway and closed her case after only fifteen days. Although Wendy was under eighteen, the fact that she was married made her a legal adult and free to leave home if she wanted.

Three years later, when she still had not returned home or contacted her loved ones, her grandparents filed a second report and the police began looking into other theories as to the cause of her disappearance.

Authorities exhumed the body of an unidentified female in Tampa, Florida in June 2001, hoping that they would be able to identify Wendy. The woman had been tied to a concrete block and dumped off of Anna Maria Island on the Gulf Coast of Florida in 1982. Wendy's dental records did not match the victim. In 2011, the dead woman was identified and her husband was charged with murder.

Wendy's mother and her grandparents have all died. She does have an aunt living as well as a half-brother, born after her disappearance, who both hope for resolution in her case. Investigators believe Wendy is probably deceased, but no suspects have been named in her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.

Very. The only relatives I read she has left living are an aunt and a half brother. Not sure why they would ask to take it down so I wonder who did and who set it up.

Sadly I didn't save it....maybe somebody did and we can pull the text up?

I posted this in the thread about a young unidentified girl found in Tampa in the 90's. Almost no stats for her, no PMI, only partly remains.
FL - FL - Tampa, WhtFem UP61522, 11-15, most likely 12-14 years old, Jan'94
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Could she be Wendy Huggy? Wendy was a little older, (16) then the age estimates for Jane Doe (11 -15), when she went A drive from Clearwater, FL. to Tampa is approx. 29 minutes. Wendy Lynn Huggy – The Charley Project

upload_2020-12-26_11-23-38-png.276961
upload_2020-12-26_11-23-52-png.276962

@Sleuthster Do you still have contact with the detective? Would you be willing to send him this suggestion?

Wendy Lynn Huggy
wendy_lynn_huggy_1.jpg
wendy_lynn_huggy_2.jpg
huggy_wendy3.jpg
huggy_wendy4.jpg
wendy_lynn_huggy_3.jpg

Wendy, circa 1982; Age-progression to age 52 (circa 2017)

• Missing Since 04/07/1982
  • Missing From Clearwater, Florida
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 07/21/1965 (55)
  • Age 16 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8 - 5'9, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Turquoise jewelry.
  • Medical Conditions Wendy was pregnant at the time of her disappearance.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Wendy has a circular dog bite scar on the outer center of her left thigh. She may use the last name Freeman.
Details of Disappearance

Wendy was last seen in Clearwater, Florida on April 7, 1982. Her grandmother dropped her off a few blocks from the Patrician Apartments at Nursery and Belcher Roads, where her uncle lived. Huggy was supposed to meet him that day.

At some point she met a female friend who lived in the same apartment complex, and she, her friend and her friend's mother went to Clearwater Beach. Wendy, who didn't have a car of her own, got a ride from the beach to the Countryside Mall. From there, she called her grandfather to say a man named Don would be driving her home.

Wendy was scheduled to return to her grandmother's house later in the evening, and start a new job at a fast food restaurant the next day. She never arrived home and her family never saw or heard from her again.

Wendy resided in Holiday, Florida at the time of her 1982 disappearance. She was born in Illinois. Her mother, a flight attendant, was often unable to care for her due to the demands of her job, so Wendy spent a lot of time in Florida with her grandparents.

She had gotten married in Illinois, but her marriage was unhappy and she left her husband and moved back to Florida in 1982. She had dropped out of high school, but received her GED certificate and hoped to attend cosmetology school.

Her grandparents reported her missing a week after she was last seen, but the police decided she was a runaway and closed her case after only fifteen days. Although Wendy was under eighteen, the fact that she was married made her a legal adult and free to leave home if she wanted.

Three years later, when she still had not returned home or contacted her loved ones, her grandparents filed a second report and the police began looking into other theories as to the cause of her disappearance.

Authorities exhumed the body of an unidentified female in Tampa, Florida in June 2001, hoping that they would be able to identify Wendy. The woman had been tied to a concrete block and dumped off of Anna Maria Island on the Gulf Coast of Florida in 1982. Wendy's dental records did not match the victim. In 2011, the dead woman was identified and her husband was charged with murder.

Wendy's mother and her grandparents have all died. She does have an aunt living as well as a half-brother, born after her disappearance, who both hope for resolution in her case. Investigators believe Wendy is probably deceased, but no suspects have been named in her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Pasco County Sheriff's Department 727-844-7755
Source Information

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member