Florida - Coronavirus Covid-19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to go to CVS on my way to treatment today. I found Easter candy too. Peeps!

A funny peep story: Last week I went to treatment, fed our foster dog Athena her calming treats. She cries when I leave. It irritates my kid who doesn’t want to dog sit at 6:00am. All of a sudden, Athena gets really quiet, my kid opens her door to look. Catches Athena snagging an open, almost empty box of peeps off the counter! Athena makes a beeline to the lanai and scarfs them down. So her and my kid “had a talk.” I’m not sure it was effective because it included belly rubs. But I could be wrong too. LOL!
Love this post...and the photo!!

Years ago we had the Halloween candy by the front door in a basket. My husband forgot to put the basket on the table...he caught our dog with a snickers wrapper hanging from her mouth. She was then called “snicker lips”!

(yes, I freaked about the chocolate...fortunately she was fine. Mr. BUF was put in the dog house for that!)

These models are always changing...

Florida may experience coronavirus resurgence if reopened before mid-June, data shows

State officials could jeopardize their constituents’ safety if they relaxed social distancing before June 14, the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington reported Wednesday. Even then, the target date is only viable with certain “containment strategies that include testing, contact tracing, isolation, and limiting gathering size” in place.

Analyzing the government-mandated social distancing measures’ impact on COVID-19 deaths led researchers to their mid-June projection. Their timeline is based on a complex estimate that is known as R0, pronounced R-naught, which is the estimated number of new infections projected to stem from a single case, also known as the basic reproductive number.

If the R0 falls below 1, then it’s estimated the number of new cases is shrinking, allowing governments to open up their societies.

If the R0 goes above 1, then it’s estimated the number of new cases is growing, which could lead to government lockdowns being re-instituted.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article242245106.html

Coronavirus in Florida latest: State passes 1,000 deaths, re-opening talks underway in Tampa Bay

Florida reached another grim milestone Thursday as the number of known coronavirus deaths surpassed 1,000. The number of known cases in the state is approaching nearly 30,000, with 80 new cases in the greater Tampa Bay region.

Two more people in the Freedom Square of Seminole retirement community have died of the coronavirus, bringing the COVID-19 death toll in that community to seven.

Daniel Lewis, 66, was one of those seven. He thought his stay at Seminole Pavilion Rehabilitation, the nursing home inside the community, would be temporary, his family said. Read more about his life and death here.

Much more @ link
Stay Safe
Pray

Reactions: BUF
Last edited:
Rick Scott says Americans would rather collect unemployment than go to work

Scott objects to jobless workers making more in benefits than from salaries. In Florida, that’s a mostly moot point considering that most claimants can’t get any benefits at all.

TALLAHASSEE — Sen. Rick Scott wrote in a campaign fundraising email sent Thursday night that Americans thrown out of work because of the coronavirus pandemic would rather collect unemployment than go back to work.

Businesses looking to reopen are telling us their employees don’t want to come back to work because they collect more on unemployment,” Scott‘s email said. “And who can blame them?”

JMO
This is a joke right? Fake news?
Funny not Funny
Am I missing something?
Everyone I know is essential or working from home.
Who is he talking about? The FL amusement parks. Golf courses ?

Scott objects to jobless workers making more in benefits than from salaries. In Florida, that’s a mostly moot point considering that most claimants can’t get any benefits at all.

TALLAHASSEE — Sen. Rick Scott wrote in a campaign fundraising email sent Thursday night that Americans thrown out of work because of the coronavirus pandemic would rather collect unemployment than go back to work.

Businesses looking to reopen are telling us their employees don’t want to come back to work because they collect more on unemployment,” Scott‘s email said. “And who can blame them?”

JMO
Funny not Funny
Am I missing something?
the bars and restaurants have skeleton staffs in my area - just enough to stay open and serve take out IMO. Theme parks are closed - hair and nail salons - closed. I am hearing from the interns that some want to be laid off now so they can collect the $600 federal weekly bonus for 4 months - then they want to return to work. The can collect as much as 975/week I'm being told. that's more than they make at their "real" jobs. But I think it's getting a bit skewed because they aren't really getting that money yet - from what I am hearing. and with the computers down - I don't know how soon they will get it either. When you shut non-essential business down for a month this is what you get- massive unemployment claims and the infrastructure doesn't support this IMO.

@oviedo
My bet is it's all smoke & mirrors.

Something that is described as smoke and mirrors is intended to make you believe that something is being done or is true, when it is not: The new budget isn't smoke and mirrors; it's an honest attempt to reduce the deficit.Apr 8, 2020

EBM TO ADD JMO OMO MOO

JMO
Funny not Funny
Am I missing something?
He’s a typical politician. Vote for it, then complain about it, then blame others.

Glad they are discussing possible hurricanes during this. Hope they come up with a plan.
Re-Open Florida: Industry working group mulls hurricane complications

How will Florida and its industry handle a hurricane if the coronavirus crisis still is demanding social distancing and is making supplies and outside help hard to attract?

It’s not going to be easy, and could require some unique strategies if Florida is hit with hurricanes this summer, Florida Division of Emergency Management Director Jared Moskowitz said in the third and final meeting of Gov. Ron DeSantis‘s Re-Open Florida Task Force Industry Working Group on Administrative, Education, Information & Technology, Manufacturing, Utilities and Wholesale Friday.

The unique demands of the coronavirus crisis are forcing emergency management officials to consider stay-at-home orders instead of evacuating people in a storm’s path, he told the group. If evacuations are required, individual Uber vehicles might be better than crowded buses. Hotels might be better than usual evacuation centers.

And in advance, the state intends to fill a warehouse with emergency masks and other personal protective equipment, along with additional generators and other equipment.
There’s a likelihood, he noted, that should Florida get hammered by a hurricane, the Sunshine State could not expect the same level of out-of-state support it has relied upon in recent storms and their aftermath. There won’t likely be long convoys of utilities trucks and volunteers streaming in from other states. Power could take longer to restore. Cleanup could take longer.

“That means obviously we’re going to have more requests to the federal government for equipment. We’re probably going to need to buy more generators in advance and put them in the warehouse,” he said.

“We have to make sure we have the supplies in advance of hurricane season,” he said.

More at link

ETA: taking Uber instead of crowded buses?? Going to hotels instead of shelters?? Who pays for this with the unemployment situation in the state? Hurricane season is quickly approaching.

Last edited:
Glad they are discussing possible hurricanes during this. Hope they come up with a plan.
Re-Open Florida: Industry working group mulls hurricane complications

How will Florida and its industry handle a hurricane if the coronavirus crisis still is demanding social distancing and is making supplies and outside help hard to attract?

It’s not going to be easy, and could require some unique strategies if Florida is hit with hurricanes this summer, Florida Division of Emergency Management Director Jared Moskowitz said in the third and final meeting of Gov. Ron DeSantis‘s Re-Open Florida Task Force Industry Working Group on Administrative, Education, Information & Technology, Manufacturing, Utilities and Wholesale Friday.

The unique demands of the coronavirus crisis are forcing emergency management officials to consider stay-at-home orders instead of evacuating people in a storm’s path, he told the group. If evacuations are required, individual Uber vehicles might be better than crowded buses. Hotels might be better than usual evacuation centers.

And in advance, the state intends to fill a warehouse with emergency masks and other personal protective equipment, along with additional generators and other equipment.
There’s a likelihood, he noted, that should Florida get hammered by a hurricane, the Sunshine State could not expect the same level of out-of-state support it has relied upon in recent storms and their aftermath. There won’t likely be long convoys of utilities trucks and volunteers streaming in from other states. Power could take longer to restore. Cleanup could take longer.

“That means obviously we’re going to have more requests to the federal government for equipment. We’re probably going to need to buy more generators in advance and put them in the warehouse,” he said.

“We have to make sure we have the supplies in advance of hurricane season,” he said.

More at link

ETA: taking Uber instead of crowded buses??
Yeah, like how many 4 wheel drive, high vehicles drive for Uber???

Hurricane season is a big concern for me. I am a cancer patient. I don't know that there is even a medical shelter that would be safe for me. I am not in a flood zone but that doesn't mean I'll be safe. I do have family on the east coast and I am on the west coast. I have a concrete block house with a new roof, they have a double wide mobile home.

It's generally not the hurricane that causes the damage per se. It's the water. People try to drive thru it, don't get away from it quick enough, etc. Home owners insurance doesn't cover flooding either. People with generators get their power turned on last. The county drives around and listens for them.

Lots in the article to read, but thought this part in particular was interesting.

Reopening Florida’s theme parks could be long, slow process

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...865bd4-8662-11ea-81a3-9690c9881111_story.html

Abigail Disney, the granddaughter of Walt Disney’s brother, Roy Disney, is astonished at the furloughs and expressed her outrage in a Twitter thread on Tuesday. The outspoken heiress blasted the company’s cutbacks while it was set to pay out $1.5 billion in shareholder dividends.

“That’d pay for three months salary to front line workers. And its going to people who have already been collecting egregious bonuses for years,” she said.

She went on to say the frontline workers had to fight for years to get a salary of $15 an hour, “but if you know the back story, which I do, you would be horrified to know just how hard they made it for the people asking for that $15.”

Disney, who does not have a role in the company, said it faces a rough couple of years, “But that does not constitute permission to continue pillaging and rampaging by management.”

Heard this from a friend: if traveling on 95 towards Jacksonville, all vehicles are being directed through the weigh station, stopped and asked where are you going & what are you doing?

It's sort of old news, started back at the end of March this year:

Cars must enter Florida weigh stations for COVID-19 checks, truckers told to bypass

I am surprised I-75 has not been included, maybe it has since then, but I've only been on that highway once since the start of quarantine.

And it's been raining all day here, I've been hearing sirens at least once an hour, where the h is everyone driving to with so many places closed.

Yikes, getting close to 1million cases in the US

30,533 cases
29,707 positive residents
4,817 in hospital
1,046 deaths

ArcGIS Dashboards
(This link also has county results. Click on county for info)
They now have race and ethnicity included in counties

All 67 counties have cases

United States Coronavirus: 917,347 Cases and 51,865 Deaths - Worldometer
Florida has about 21.4 million people (plus)
320,984 tests have been done

Additional info (may not be updated)
Home

It's sort of old news, started back at the end of March this year:

Cars must enter Florida weigh stations for COVID-19 checks, truckers told to bypass

I am surprised I-75 has not been included, maybe it has since then, but I've only been on that highway once since the start of quarantine.

And it's been raining all day here, I've been hearing sirens at least once an hour, where the h is everyone driving to with so many places closed.

Yes this has been happening for a while but they weren't stopping everyone, only those coming from NY (though it caused many hours long delays and a few times they shut down the checkpoint to get traffic flowing again). I don't know if the checkpoint is still open or not. No reference other than I live in Jax and my FIL is a short haul/local truck driver out of Brunswick, GA and goes back and forth from there to Jax almost daily and talked of the two - three hour waits on multiple days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298