Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Fall! I have not been cooking much, dealing with a mouse issue. Everything that has a "mouse bite" I tossed. I scrubbed the kitchen with bleach, have set tons of traps...no food at all in the kitchen that is not in a can, or the fridge.

Shudder. I hate this. And our cat is a nice, old gal..not a mouser.

Hopefully, will get this done, and back to cooking. For now, the kitchen is closed. We are eating yogurt, out, frozen pizza but nothing that requires prep...I just can't.

Happy Fall! I have not been cooking much, dealing with a mouse issue. Everything that has a "mouse bite" I tossed. I scrubbed the kitchen with bleach, have set tons of traps...no food at all in the kitchen that is not in a can, or the fridge.

Hopefully, will get this done, and back to cooking. For now, the kitchen is closed. We are eating yogurt, out, frozen pizza but nothing that requires prep...I just can't.
Ugh! I sympathize with your mouse issue. When I was 22 my (former) husband and I bought our first home, moving from the city to a very rural area. It was an older home and apparently there were many mouse-accessible holes.

We had only lived there a short time when we experienced a mouse infestation. There wasn’t a pantry in this old home, only open shelving, and every bag, box, and package was chewed open.

I had never experienced mice before and it was beyond distressing!

The problem was solved when I adopted a semi-feral cat. We had a cat already but she was totally uninterested in mice.

Would it be possible for you to adopt another cat? Calico kitties are great mousers.

Also, if you know where the mice are entering you can plug holes with steel wool. Mice hate steel wool and stay far away from it.

Our last house was a very old Victorian. I had good luck with those sonic plug-ins (the sound tells them to leave). My dogs were unbothered by it; don’t have cats. I know some people use the smaller battery-operated versions to keep critters out of antique vehicles or vehicles in more rural areas that don’t get daily use. I got our original ones from Rite-Aid.

Ugh! I sympathize with your mouse issue. When I was 22 my (former) husband and I bought our first home, moving from the city to a very rural area. It was an older home and apparently there were many mouse-accessible holes.

We had only lived there a short time when we experienced a mouse infestation. There wasn’t a pantry in this old home, only open shelving, and every bag, box, and package was chewed open.

I had never experienced mice before and it was beyond distressing!

The problem was solved when I adopted a semi-feral cat. We had a cat already but she was totally uninterested in mice.

Would it be possible for you to adopt another cat? Calico kitties are great mousers.

Also, if you know where the mice are entering you can plug holes with steel wool. Mice hate steel wool and stay far away from it.

Yes, we had Pest Control over the other day, he stopped up every single place a critter could come in. This is a brand new house! I am just sick!

Apparently, the area from the air conditioning compressor was literally a "mouse to house freeway". Stopped up!

I have considered another cat, still thinking, but what if I end up with another stupid one?

Our last house was a very old Victorian. I had good luck with those sonic plug-ins (the sound tells them to leave). My dogs were unbothered by it; don’t have cats. I know some people use the smaller battery-operated versions to keep critters out of antique vehicles or vehicles in more rural areas that don’t get daily use. I got our original ones from Rite-Aid.

Thanks. I literally bought out Lowes the other day, a full cart of every single mouse deterrent, trap, and everything else. I plugged in those sonic things into every plug in every single room. The kitchen has three.

I didn't even think about my car, I better go get one for my car today. TY

Yes, we had Pest Control over the other day, he stopped up every single place a critter could come in. This is a brand new house! I am just sick!

Apparently, the area from the air conditioning compressor was literally a "mouse to house freeway". Stopped up!

I have considered another cat, still thinking, but what if I end up with another stupid one?
A brand new home?! That is just crazy!

Thanks. I literally bought out Lowes the other day, a full cart of every single mouse deterrent, trap, and everything else. I plugged in those sonic things into every plug in every single room. The kitchen has three.

I'm sorry for you Mickey and dont blame you for chucking so much stuff. I am paranoid about having mice indoors too. Hope you have a good take out or delivery tonight.

IIRC, your new home is a condo. Is your unit part of a larger building with connecting units or is it a site condo (individual lots with common areas)? Are other homes experiencing similar rodent issues? If the problem impacts other homeowners, perhaps it should be brought to the attention of the management company.

Yikes!!

Reactions: JDG
I'm sorry for you Mickey and dont blame you for chucking so much stuff. I am paranoid about having mice indoors too. Hope you have a good take out or delivery tonight.

Thanks. Panda for dinner. . I deep cleaned the kitchen again, no sign of mice. I will make a pot roast tomorrow in the crockpot.

IIRC, your new home is a condo. Is your unit part of a larger building with connecting units or is it a site condo (individual lots with common areas)? Are other homes experiencing similar rodent issues? If the problem impacts other homeowners, perhaps it should be brought to the attention of the management company.

We share a common wall, townhouse. Our neighbor has not seen any mice, however she has a dog, terrier, maybe he caught them? She had pest control come over and mouse proof her place.

I called the developer and the management of our condos, they are considering having pest control for everyone now. We live in a new area, constant building everywhere here. And now, colder weather. Dang. Hate mice.

Hoping this is just a blip. Well, there isn't any food here!

Just a thought, back from when I lived in an old, old Victorian. It isn’t enough to secure food; you need to secure edibles like play-doh and even some kinds of bar soap (speaking from experience on the bar soap - unscented coco butter and hemp oil soap, if I recall).

Just a thought, back from when I lived in an old, old Victorian. It isn’t enough to secure food; you need to secure edibles like play-doh and even some kinds of bar soap (speaking from experience on the bar soap - unscented coco butter and hemp oil soap, if I recall).
They hate Irish Spring though. We put unwraped bars in our farm trucks and semis that are parked outside to keep them out. They aren't fond of scented dryer sheets either.

They hate Irish Spring though. We put unwraped bars in our farm trucks and semis that are parked outside to keep them out. They aren't fond of scented dryer sheets either.

Yeah, I don't know about that dryer sheet thing...I put tons of them in the pantry, and I saw a mouse dropping on one!!! So, again, I deep cleaned everything.

This deep cleaning is driving me crazy. I am wiping everything down with bleach water. I have set glue traps, spring traps, have sonic things going...

I have really cleaned out my house, that is for sure. It was clean before, now, it is spotless. Zero clutter. Zero food. My cat gets no food or water at night.

I think (hope) that there is just one mouse, because if there were more, I would have caught one by now. Ugh!!!!

Please make sure your poor ol' kitty has water available.

Reactions: JDG
Yeah, I don't know about that dryer sheet thing...I put tons of them in the pantry, and I saw a mouse dropping on one!!! So, again, I deep cleaned everything.

This deep cleaning is driving me crazy. I am wiping everything down with bleach water. I have set glue traps, spring traps, have sonic things going...

I have really cleaned out my house, that is for sure. It was clean before, now, it is spotless. Zero clutter. Zero food. My cat gets no food or water at night.

I think (hope) that there is just one mouse, because if there were more, I would have caught one by now. Ugh!!!!
Mr HKP left an apple in our conservatory one night a couple months ago. In the morning I found it gnawed, looked around and found mouse droppings. The next night a bag of bird food I'd forgotten about had been opened. We used a humane trap and the following day a little mouse was inside it, which Mr HKP released away from our house. Point is, there has been nothing further and I check daily still, so hopefully for us it was just a lone mouse and you'll find the same.

We have a terrier but he is spooked by salt and vinegar crisps (barks at them :D) so not sure how he'd deal with a confrontation!!

Hello all, it’s been a bit since I posted here but I do check in daily. Sounds like you all have been busy!

Thanks for sharing some good recipes, Anneg , Trudie and Iceice9! I really like tried and true recipes. How is the air fryer treating you? I am I intrigued every time I see the one in Costco.

Happy belated birthday, Mr BDE. The last time we went to a Ruth Chris’s was a few years back in Vegas. It was a good. I am sorry it was not so great on his special day.

PayrollNerd, I hope you are enjoying your trip. Sorry about the restaurant. It’s hard sometimes to get a good meal out. Seems more so now with Covid and the staffing issues.

Mickey2942 sorry about the mice. Sounds like you are taking the steps to rid them. We had them back when we lived in the country and a pest service did the trick.

HongKongPhooey, I hope your mice or mouse is gone for good. Mr. Pirate says there is never just one, LOL. I hope he is wrong for your sake.

You are all so inspiring. I look forward to your posts each time I check in.

Today we are going to visit the grandkids. First time in a while after Willa’s brush with COVID. They all came through quarantine now and nobody else got it. Doctors are sure Willa had it as they actually tested for antibodies. They figured the whole family probably had it prior and didn’t know. They all tested negative via PCR but didn’t get their antibodies tested. So who knows. We are going to have a good old spaghetti dinner tonight. Pasta with a marinara sauce, garlic bread and salad. I even made some vegan meatballs!

Have a great Sunday!
ps I apologize for not linking the posts I was replying to! I did this all on my iPhone with the itty bitty keyboard. It’s a miracle I got this much typed out. :D

Mr HKP left an apple in our conservatory one night a couple months ago. In the morning I found it gnawed, looked around and found mouse droppings. The next night a bag of bird food I'd forgotten about had been opened. We used a humane trap and the following day a little mouse was inside it, which Mr HKP released away from our house. Point is, there has been nothing further and I check daily still, so hopefully for us it was just a lone mouse and you'll find the same.

We have a terrier but he is spooked by salt and vinegar crisps (barks at them :D) so not sure how he'd deal with a confrontation!!

I left a 500+ calorie sports bar in a purse and left the purse on the floor of the closet for a few weeks - this was when I lived in a city rowhome. I wasn’t sure if it was a mouse or a furry softball - either way, glad it wasn’t a family.

Hello all, it’s been a bit since I posted here but I do check in daily. Sounds like you all have been busy!

...Happy belated birthday, Mr BDE. The last time we went to a Ruth Chris’s was a few years back in Vegas. It was a good. I am sorry it was not so great on his special day...

Today we are going to visit the grandkids. First time in a while after Willa’s brush with COVID. They all came through quarantine now and nobody else got it. Doctors are sure Willa had it as they actually tested for antibodies. They figured the whole family probably had it prior and didn’t know. They all tested negative via PCR but didn’t get their antibodies tested. So who knows. We are going to have a good old spaghetti dinner tonight. Pasta with a marinara sauce, garlic bread and salad. I even made some vegan meatballs!...

<respectfully snipped>

Thanks for the belated birthday wishes for Mr. BDE. When I received a survey following our visit to Ruth's Chris, I couldn't bring myself to say anything bad despite the disappointing service. Many restaurants are having staffing issues, and it's understandable that newly-hired tag-team waitstaff are a bit overwhelmed. Ruth's Chris has always been one of our favorite special occasion restaurants, and I can't imagine not ever dining there again.

I am so happy to hear that your little granddaughter is well again. Sounds like the perfect comfort dinner :) Enjoy your family gathering.

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing some good recipes, Anneg , Trudie and Iceice9! I really like tried and true recipes. How is the air fryer treating you? I am I intrigued every time I see the one in Costco.

Happy belated birthday, Mr BDE. The last time we went to a Ruth Chris’s was a few years back in Vegas. It was a good. I am sorry it was not so great on his special day.

PayrollNerd, I hope you are enjoying your trip. Sorry about the restaurant. It’s hard sometimes to get a good meal out. Seems more so now with Covid and the staffing issues.

Mickey2942 sorry about the mice. Sounds like you are taking the steps to rid them. We had them back when we lived in the country and a pest service did the trick.

HongKongPhooey, I hope your mice or mouse is gone for good. Mr. Pirate says there is never just one, LOL. I hope he is wrong for your sake.

Today we are going to visit the grandkids. First time in a while after Willa’s brush with COVID. They all came through quarantine now and nobody else got it. Doctors are sure Willa had it as they actually tested for antibodies. They figured the whole family probably had it prior and didn’t know. They all tested negative via PCR but didn’t get their antibodies tested. So who knows. We are going to have a good old spaghetti dinner tonight. Pasta with a marinara sauce, garlic bread and salad. I even made some vegan meatballs!

Have a great Sunday!
ps I apologize for not linking the posts I was replying to! I did this all on my iPhone with the itty bitty keyboard. It’s a miracle I got this much typed out. :D

Using our new air fryer oven is definitely a learning experience! Pretty much trial and error so far. It did a good job of crisping up some French fries that were pretty limp when we got back from picking food up at a restaurant.

Your dinner sounds good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member