Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
People on Facebook have been talking about a lot of food shortages, paper goods, and extremely high prices on food.

I have noticed the high price of meat, but nothing else here...have you guys noticed anything where you live?

Target’s spice section was completely bare except for black pepper.

There was no can cat food of any size or brand at our local grocery store. Petsmart had a decent supply of the high end brands but limited selection in others.

For wet cat food, I get a Chewy delivery every three months. Nothing fancy, just Friskies, but a wider variety of flavors than my smalltown grocery offers. Delivery just arrived today, no delay, so I'm good for months.

For kibble, I get them fancy "Taste of the Wild" stuff. I'm almost out and will need to go to the farm supply store for it within a week or so -- will see if they're having shortages or not. Hope not!

New FDA guidance aims to drastically cut salt in food supply (nbcnews.com)

The recommendations are intended to cut rates of heart disease, the No. 1 killer in the U.S.

The Food and Drug Administration is asking food manufacturers and restaurants to cut the salt in their products over the coming 2½ years, hoping to reduce Americans' overall sodium intake by 12 percent.

The sweeping recommendation, announced Wednesday, is expected to cover a wide variety of foods — from chain restaurant meals to processed food on grocery store shelves and even baby food.

"What we'd like to see is the food industry gradually lower the sodium content" in the most common foods, Dr. Janet Woodcock, the acting FDA commissioner, told NBC News...

Last night I met up with a friend at Metro Diner. They have a new chicken dinner item on the menu. And, it didn’t have anything I’m allergic to in it. I was so excited I had to try it. It was $11.99 and you could choose white meat or dark meat. I chose white meat. It had a full boneless chicken breast as in the two sides were still connected. They used red potatoes with skins and the green beans had garlic. It was so delicious.

Now I have to try to reproduce it at home. The topping has peppers in it and I picked them off. I’m not a pepper fan. I need to get some oregano. I think most of my spices moved out with the kiddo.

Attachments

• 28920203-3108-4F1C-ABEC-B73FC58917EA.jpeg
    28920203-3108-4F1C-ABEC-B73FC58917EA.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 24
Last night I met up with a friend at Metro Diner. They have a new chicken dinner item on the menu. And, it didn’t have anything I’m allergic to in it. I was so excited I had to try it. It was $11.99 and you could choose white meat or dark meat. I chose white meat. It had a full boneless chicken breast as in the two sides were still connected. They used red potatoes with skins and the green beans had garlic. It was so delicious.

Now I have to try to reproduce it at home. The topping has peppers in it and I picked them off. I’m not a pepper fan. I need to get some oregano. I think most of my spices moved out with the kiddo.
Sounds delicious. I love recreating restaurant meals!

I had honey walnut shrimp for the first time today (not sure why I haven't had it before, lol. I'm late to the party) and it was SO good! I was very surprised to hear that honey walnut shrimp typically has mayonnaise in it, as I hate mayonnaise and couldn't taste any in it. I assume it's for texture or binding or something. Either way, I'm craving more honey walnut shrimp! I need to find an easy way to make it at home, or a frozen version.

I had honey walnut shrimp for the first time today (not sure why I haven't had it before, lol. I'm late to the party) and it was SO good! I was very surprised to hear that honey walnut shrimp typically has mayonnaise in it, as I hate mayonnaise and couldn't taste any in it. I assume it's for texture or binding or something. Either way, I'm craving more honey walnut shrimp! I need to find an easy way to make it at home, or a frozen version.

I just read several recipes for Honey Walnut Shrimp, and they all require mayonnaise. I think you could substitute sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for the mayo. Both have tang and texture similar to mayo. Best Honey Walnut Shrimp Recipe - How To Make Honey Walnut Shrimp (delish.com)

I think the prior mouse-talk cursed me. Went into the basement the other day and smelled something stinky. Yesterday worse. Something died. I put it off but went down today to look for a dead mouse. We have had mice prior, probably because our condo backs up to a wooded area. I figure they come in to keep warm. Traps were still set so I looked around. No mouse. Smells just awful. Strong smell of death. Closest to where our condo shares a wall with the neighbor.
Ok, I think when is the last time I heard noise over there or saw the single lady that lives there? I cannot believe my Websleuths mind went there. Mr Pirate rolled his eyes and said he would find the mouse.
I keep putting my ear to the condo wall we share. Call me crazy.
More traps set. The basement is where my COVID pantry is.
:eek:

I think the prior mouse-talk cursed me. Went into the basement the other day and smelled something stinky. Yesterday worse. Something died. I put it off but went down today to look for a dead mouse. We have had mice prior, probably because our condo backs up to a wooded area. I figure they come in to keep warm. Traps were still set so I looked around. No mouse. Smells just awful. Strong smell of death. Closest to where our condo shares a wall with the neighbor.
Ok, I think when is the last time I heard noise over there or saw the single lady that lives there? I cannot believe my Websleuths mind went there. Mr Pirate rolled his eyes and said he would find the mouse.

You are definitely not crazy! You are a concerned neighbor, perhaps with good reason. A former next door neighbor of ours died in his home a few years ago. He was a retired attorney who moved back to Michigan (from Arizona) when he and his wife divorced. One son lives in California, and the other son lives in Warren. RR had a dental procedure that required sedation. His son had taken him to the appointment and brought him home. DH saw RR at the mailbox the day after the surgery and said he seemed fine. Evidently, the son was unable to reach his father by phone and called Oakland County Sheriff to do a wellness check. RR was lying on the floor in the master bathroom with his little Westie sitting beside him. If the odor worsens, and you don't find a mouse or other critter, please don't hesitate to report it. JMO

You are definitely not crazy! You are a concerned neighbor, perhaps with good reason. A former next door neighbor of ours died in his home a few years ago. He was a retired attorney who moved back to Michigan (from Arizona) when he and his wife divorced. One son lives in California, and the other son lives in Warren. RR had a dental procedure that required sedation. His son had taken him to the appointment and brought him home. DH saw RR at the mailbox the day after the surgery and said he seemed fine. Evidently, the son was unable to reach his father by phone and called Oakland County Sheriff to do a wellness check. RR was lying on the floor in the master bathroom with his little Westie sitting beside him. If the odor worsens, and you don't find a mouse or other critter, please don't hesitate to report it. JMO
My goodness, BDE. What a sad story. I will go back down and look some more. And make sure I call someone if it gets worse or I don’t hear my neighbor very soon.

Still craving that new Mediterranean Chicken dish. Finally got a tomato and oregano. Tuesday I’ll move the chicken from the freezer to the fridge. By Wed it should be thawed enough to cook. Now to decide what spices I want to roast it with. It’s a big pack of chicken. I’ll have to freeze some after it’s cooked. I’m thinking I should make the “salsa” in advance and let it meld. But then I’m worried the feta cheese will be soggy. So maybe not. I’m thinking out loud….

I have ripe pears. I need to make pear bread again. I’m down to 4-5 apples from GA. I cut up 4 today and ate half for breakfast and half for my afternoon snack. Maybe I need to go back to GA…. Ha!

It’s supposed to cool down tonight. Picked up the ingredients for chili but with the chicken, I’ll have to wait to make it. Too much food!

Still craving that new Mediterranean Chicken dish. Finally got a tomato and oregano. Tuesday I’ll move the chicken from the freezer to the fridge. By Wed it should be thawed enough to cook. Now to decide what spices I want to roast it with. It’s a big pack of chicken. I’ll have to freeze some after it’s cooked. I’m thinking I should make the “salsa” in advance and let it meld. But then I’m worried the feta cheese will be soggy. So maybe not. I’m thinking out loud….

I have ripe pears. I need to make pear bread again. I’m down to 4-5 apples from GA. I cut up 4 today and ate half for breakfast and half for my afternoon snack. Maybe I need to go back to GA…. Ha!

It’s supposed to cool down tonight. Picked up the ingredients for chili but with the chicken, I’ll have to wait to make it. Too much food!
I think def leave the feta out until last minute, although you do often see it in prepacked salads here just not with a tomato based salsa type.

Another idea for chicken while it comes to mind. I drizzle olive oil on chicken breasts and add Ras El Hanout seasoning then roast in the oven. Goes well with a tzatziki type side, if you dont mind mixing up your Moroccan with your Greek!

Last night I created a pasta dish based on one of our favorite appetizers from Picano's where we went on Friday night. The hot appetizer is called Carciofi Tosca and consists of four artichoke hearts dipped in an egg and cheese batter sauteed to a golden brown. We had about a third of a large jar of marinated artichokes that we get in a twin-pack at Costco. Marinated artichokes have always been a component of my pasta salad, but I rarely make it during the winter and wanted to use up the remainder of the artichokes.

I drained the artichokes in a colander and wrapped them in paper towels to remove as much of the marinade as possible. I chopped the artichokes (about two cups) and added them to beaten eggs with 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. We cooked linguine and saved some of the pasta water. Mixed the battered artichokes with linguine, adding pasta water and the juice of half a lemon. We had thawed the rest of a bag of frozen uncooked shrimp and added them to the linguine and artichokes. A splash or two of white wine would have been a nice touch but we didn't have any. The pasta dish was very good, and I will definitely add it to my repertoire. Need to stock up on frozen artichokes because the marinated ones are too oily and vinegary for the delicate pasta dish.

Last edited:
I made an apple spice sheet cake today. I’m homeschooling until covid is over and since one of my big kids is studying the nose, I decided to teach my littles about spices. Clove, cinnamon, ginger, etc. The first NYT recipe I haven’t loved, despite following it quite closely (I often cut the sweeteners in baking, but not here) and using fresh spices. I did not make the cinnamon cream-cheese frosting, which may have been it. Spouse is DF (and coconut-free) and there are no edible DF cream cheeses. I served with vanilla ice cream topped with applesauce and cinnamon for kids (mixed reviews) and applesauce and cinnamon for spouse (loved).

Apple Sheet Cake With Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

Oh dear. I have not smelled anything. Or found any dead mice. But any mouse in this house won't find much to eat or drink.

Hopefully, everything will be okay. Maybe go knock on your neighbor's door?

Strange, how we used to know everyone. Now, I have no clue of my neighbors names...sad.

My attempt at the Mediterranean Chicken dish. I baked the chicken yesterday. I only used ground oregano on the tomatoes and olive mix. I think a dash of ground white pepper would be good to replace the peppers. I added the Feta cheese after I put the mix on top of my warmed up chicken.

Overall, I like the dish but my timing was off. I should have done the tomato olive mix earlier so it was juicier. I think the warmed up chicken was fine but it would be better with fresh made chicken. It will not go to waste that is for sure.

I made honey buttered carrots with salt and pepper in the oven too. They turned out good. I had some frozen mashed potatoes that I had made last month. I was too full to even eat them!

Attachments

• 35B6742A-5E56-44BA-9368-AD3988151465.jpeg
    35B6742A-5E56-44BA-9368-AD3988151465.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics