Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A trick with feta cheese - buy in bricks when possible (not the crumbled stuff) and use a tiny bit of brine instead of salt. One of my favorite salads is Shepherd’s Salad: finely diced tomato, cucumber, and white onion mixed with feta and olive oil. I add the tiniest bit of apple cider vinegar and a dash of feta brine. Serve with really good, crusty bread. This recipe was my obsession when our favorite Turkish restaurant shut down about 15 years ago. Of course, it was easier (and much cheaper) back when I had the time to grow tons of heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers and play around with sourdough.

A trick with feta cheese - buy in bricks when possible (not the crumbled stuff) and use a tiny bit of brine instead of salt. One of my favorite salads is Shepherd’s Salad: finely diced tomato, cucumber, and white onion mixed with feta and olive oil. I add the tiniest bit of apple cider vinegar and a dash of feta brine. Serve with really good, crusty bread. This recipe was my obsession when our favorite Turkish restaurant shut down about 15 years ago. Of course, it was easier (and much cheaper) back when I had the time to grow tons of heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers and play around with sourdough.
We ate this in Bulgaria many years ago, they called it Shopska salad and had it on the side of most dishes at the time. Simple but really tasty. Thanks for the reminder, must make it soon.

Perfect fall day for a big pot of chili. Ground trimmings from whole beef tenderloin, onion (from Peru), green pepper, garlic, BTB chili base, beef stock, fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, red kidney beans. Served with sour cream, queso, avocado. tortilla chips.

Perfect fall day for a big pot of chili. Ground trimmings from whole beef tenderloin, onion (from Peru), green pepper, garlic, BTB chili base, beef stock, fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, red kidney beans. Served with sour cream, queso, avocado. tortilla chips.

My only onion is from Peru too! Checked yesterday before cutting into it.

We're having salmon tonight with rice, green beans, and delicata squash.

I only have a few onions left but fortunately they are from my local farmer's market so no worries about the recall.

I think I need to learn to grow more than a few onions in my garden (and store them well) but I know that conversation goes on the other thread :p

My morning work is done. Vegetarian Vegetable Rice Soup. I always toss in whatever I have on hand. I found a pack of pumpkin squash in the freezer that my uncle sealed for me. I did forget to use diced celery. I switched from black pepper to white pepper. I like it. Much milder flavor but still peppery.

Instead of only boiling the veggies, I started by sautéing the hard veggies in butter for 15 min. I added the white pepper, dried parsley and kosher salt at that point. I like this method and feel like it added to the flavor. It thickens up once it cools.

I used 3/4 cup of rice. In addition to the 2 cartons of veg broth, I added probably 4-5 cups of hot water as I was adding the veggies, then the rice. Added the tomato and spinach at the very end once the rice was soft.

The veggies used were mostly fresh:
Onion
Garlic
2 ears of corn, cut off the cob
Carrots
Frozen Lima beans
Green beans
Sugar snap peas & snow peas
Zucchini
Yellow squash
Tomato
Spinach
Pumpkin squash

Attachments

• 3F929205-6041-4839-9AC2-956DE338E0BB.jpeg
    3F929205-6041-4839-9AC2-956DE338E0BB.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 46A5E609-7250-4DA4-92D5-92650DD1C72A.jpeg
    46A5E609-7250-4DA4-92D5-92650DD1C72A.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 33
^ Looks like a bowl of comfort :)
After much testing, the doctors have discovered, so far, my youngest has a hiatal hernia, out of control asthma and super low Vit D. So Friday she is having an endoscopy and if it is possible, they’ll repair it. So I am in charge of the recovery foods, first up, veg soup. This should be soft enough for her post surgery.

I’m raiding the kitchen to see what else would be soft foods other than yogurt. I think a fruit salad since I have so much canned fruit.

That sounds very similar to a salad I have had in Bulgaria. The feta in Bulgaria is wonderful, and I ordered salad and bread in every restaurant I visited while I was there.

After much testing, the doctors have discovered, so far, my youngest has a hiatal hernia, out of control asthma and super low Vit D. So Friday she is having an endoscopy and if it is possible, they’ll repair it. So I am in charge of the recovery foods, first up, veg soup. This should be soft enough for her post surgery.

I’m raiding the kitchen to see what else would be soft foods other than yogurt. I think a fruit salad since I have so much canned fruit.
Oh my gosh, best wishes for her recovery!
Ex had one, had to watch the acid and spice!

Rice pudding? Kozyshack rice pudding in grocery stores is yummy, although I haven't had it for a long time.

DH has GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and a condition called Barrett's esophagus. He has had it for about 20 years and takes omeprazole. He has to have an endoscopy every couple of years.

Lately I'm showing signs of developing reflux too. Sigh. Being overweight doesn't help. So far I just take Tums as needed.

If your DD likes (and can digest) yogurt, you can make smoothies with the canned fruit and juices. I was first acquainted with yogurt in college (had never known about it before), and for years, yogurt with fruit and muesli or granola was my go-to breakfast. Alas! I can't do yogurt (and most other dairy) any more, and I miss it.

I'm surprised that your DD is Vitamin D deficient since you live in a warm, sunny climate. I've taken Vitamin D supplement for years and was even given a script for a megadose several years ago. My levels are tested annually and have stayed in a normal range with the lower dose that is available OTC. I hope your daughter's procedure goes well. I know you will take good care of her.

Best wishes to your daughter! Your soup looks delicious and sounds perfect for her recovery.

Kiddo left yesterday and took some veg soup with her. She did well and it will be a few weeks for the biopsy’s to result. In her drugged up state, she said they told her they didn’t find anything. Not sure what that even means. Hopefully, the doctor will be more detailed in the follow up.

Fall has arrived, for 2 days. Ha! 67 this morning and 58 tomorrow morning. Highs in the mid 70s. It feels great. I’ve been reading beef stew recipes. I took the beef out of the freezer. It is very thin so when I sear it, it will probably be cooked. I picked up tomato paste, unsalted beef broth, potatoes and sage. I have carrots and the other spices I’ve been reading about. Now to settle on a recipe that isn’t too weird.

Kiddo left yesterday and took some veg soup with her. She did well and it will be a few weeks for the biopsy’s to result. In her drugged up state, she said they told her they didn’t find anything. Not sure what that even means. Hopefully, the doctor will be more detailed in the follow up.

Fall has arrived, for 2 days. Ha! 67 this morning and 58 tomorrow morning. Highs in the mid 70s. It feels great. I’ve been reading beef stew recipes. I took the beef out of the freezer. It is very thin so when I sear it, it will probably be cooked. I picked up tomato paste, unsalted beef broth, potatoes and sage. I have carrots and the other spices I’ve been reading about. Now to settle on a recipe that isn’t too weird.

I used to make beef (or chicken) stew frequently but not so much any more. I tend to watch for Nino's specials on their stewing beef and make it then. Carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, tomato paste, beef stock, roux to thicken, and I cook dumplings on top. There are usually leftovers for days.

Crockpot beef stew disaster. I mixed all the spices and the tomato paste in the broth. I thought it would evenly coat the meat, potato and carrot better.

I dipped the meat in flour with garlic and onion powders. I felt like I was making cube steak. Anyway, I had way too much meat. But I cooked it briefly, then put the extra in the freezer.

It wouldn’t fit in my little crock pot. I put it all in a big pot and put it on the stove. I brought it to a boil then turned it way down. After the huge mess I made, this better taste good. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• 6D358226-9461-45B9-9F1B-CD5828208643.jpeg
    6D358226-9461-45B9-9F1B-CD5828208643.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 31
  • EE1D972F-84DB-41DC-A687-A254986EEAEA.jpeg
    EE1D972F-84DB-41DC-A687-A254986EEAEA.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 34
Update to my beef stew fiasco. I didn’t follow one specific recipe. I combined a few of them based on my tastes. I used too much beef broth. It tastes ok but a bit bland like I watered it down. To thicken it, I used a little corn starch. It took about an hour on the stove. The kitchen is mostly clean again. LOL!

Imo beef stew (and such) allllways tastes better after a day or two in the fridge. Mmm

Update to my beef stew fiasco. I didn’t follow one specific recipe. I combined a few of them based on my tastes. I used too much beef broth. It tastes ok but a bit bland like I watered it down. To thicken it, I used a little corn starch. It took about an hour on the stove. The kitchen is mostly clean again. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoshi Baehr