Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This time of year, we have this side salad a LOT. We sometimes slice up raw green beans into it. Or corn - the one from tonight actually had corn in it too, I just forgot when I posted. Sometimes my portion has sliced apple in it, too. (Partner can't have apple because FODMAP.) Often we dress it with a mix of pomegranate molasses and Chang's Crispy Noodle Salad Dressing, or just with balsamic like I did today.

What do you do with your cucumbers? Eat them fresh, or cook with them somehow? I know a lot of people make pickles, but I hate, hate gherkins, and dill. So, no pickles for me. Not dill pickles, anyway.
Hope you don’t mind me jumping in. We eat a lot of cucumber salads. It’s one of the few vegetables I can get my husband to eat. I make a creamy cucumber with apple, bacon and pickled onions that’s his favorite. It sounds weird but it’s pretty good. I also make one with mango and chilis that’s probably my favorite and an Asian style one with cilantro and peanuts that I’m a big fan of.

I like the crunchy texture of cucumbers and almost always include them in salads. I don't like pickles of any kind or anything that is "pickled" - sauerkraut, kimchi, etc. I'm allergic to mold, and foods that are "pickled" or highly acidic make me cough and/or make me feel like I'm choking.

Last night we had simple California BLTs on Kaiser rolls. Nino's is featuring sockeye salmon this week, so tonight we will have grilled salmon with a large salad - Romaine, baby spinach, Persian cucumbers, grape tomatoes, sliced white mushrooms.

My daughter is into pickled and fermented foods and so are most of my friends. They eat at least one serving of a fermented food every day, usually kimchi or fresh sauerkraut. I don’t like kimchi at all but I think fresh sauerkraut is good. I eat it on my veggie hotdogs.

I never like sauerkraut before but all I ever had was the canned variety. The fresh sauerkraut is a a little crispy and flavorful.

Sounds like a lovely trip- how long will you be on the cruise? getting away from dreary Michigan is a good thing!
We fly to Fort Lauderdale a week from today for a 10-night cruise on Enchanted Princess. I've been tracking our Delta flights and both are always on time or a little early. We watched the ship sail on Wednesday knowing that we'll be on the next voyage :) We're nearly packed and, in fact, spent over an hour today packing up our health/hygiene/beauty bags. All that's left is the garment bag with clothes on hangers. We'll finish that by Sunday.

In keeping with the topic of this "food" forum, these are the three places where we've enjoyed pre-cruise dinners. We've almost always stayed at the Renaissance near Port Everglades and find the dining spots convenient. We haven't decided what we'll do about dinner just yet: It will depend on how we feel after our flight and whether or not we want to walk to a restaurant or just hang out in the hotel lounge.

R Lounge - Fort Lauderdale, FL Restaurant | Menu + Delivery | Seamless

Menu - Carlos & Pepe's - Restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (carlosandpepesfl.com)

Last edited:
My daughter is into pickled and fermented foods and so are most of my friends. They eat at least one serving of a fermented food every day, usually kimchi or fresh sauerkraut. I don’t like kimchi at all but I think fresh sauerkraut is good. I eat it on my veggie hotdogs.

I never like sauerkraut before but all I ever had was the canned variety. The fresh sauerkraut is a a little crispy and flavorful.
I've read about the health benefits of fermented foods, but I don't want to risk a major coughing/asthma episode to add them to my diet. As the saying goes: "One man's meat is another man's poison".

For those who are interested in raising chickens, I saw a feature about renting chickens on Inside Edition a little while ago but the video isn't available yet. Here's the website for Rent the Chicken. Rent The Chicken
They were just talking about that on my chicken page. $565 for 6 months, includes food and shelter.

I wouldn’t lease my chickens without being able to keep an eye on them. Furthermore the stress of moving can cause them not to lay. It took a bit to get consistent eggs from my chickens after we moved. My ducks aren’t really laying yet, just the occasional.

They were just talking about that on my chicken page. $565 for 6 months, includes food and shelter.

I wouldn’t lease my chickens without being able to keep an eye on them. Furthermore the stress of moving can cause them not to lay. It took a bit to get consistent eggs from my chickens after we moved. My ducks aren’t really laying yet, just the occasional.
Here is a recent local feature about raising chickens: Are you considering owning chickens as egg prices soar?

They look yummy! I actually prefer thinner pancakes, not as thin as crepes, but not as thick and fluffy as most people like them. Somewhere in between.

Most of the breakfast restaurants seem to make pancakes super thick and fluffy. Those tend to lay like lead in my stomach.
Haha! This reminds me of a story my husband tells about going for a pancake breakfast with friends before they would go snowmobiling. His friend would say, "Let's stop and get a belly gasket before heading to the hills." Now we call pancakes "belly gaskets".

Hope you don’t mind me jumping in. We eat a lot of cucumber salads. It’s one of the few vegetables I can get my husband to eat. I make a creamy cucumber with apple, bacon and pickled onions that’s his favorite. It sounds weird but it’s pretty good. I also make one with mango and chilis that’s probably my favorite and an Asian style one with cilantro and peanuts that I’m a big fan of.
Oh! I would love recipes for all of those. I love cucumbers.

Here is a recent local feature about raising chickens: Are you considering owning chickens as egg prices soar?
I've been listening to these interviews, reading articles and watching videos about raising chickens. It's a lot of investment in money. Probably more than most people realize. It appears you need quite a few birds to really make it worth it. I'd enjoy it but I don't think my health could tolerate it. If I had property & a pond, I'd consider raising ducks for eggs tho.

Oh! I would love recipes for all of those. I love cucumbers.
They all come from America’s Test Kitchen. I love their app, it’s expensive but we don’t eat out. It allows me to make really good things at home so it pays for itself pretty quickly. A couple of websites have snagged their recipes and published them for free, not sure if these are on there.

Creamy cucumber salad with apple, bacon and parsley

Air fryer Ginger turmeric scallops with mango cucumber salad (one of my favorites)

Tuna steaks with cucumber peanut salad

They all come from America’s Test Kitchen. I love their app, it’s expensive but we don’t eat out. It allows me to make really good things at home so it pays for itself pretty quickly. A couple of websites have snagged their recipes and published them for free, not sure if these are on there.

Creamy cucumber salad with apple, bacon and parsley

Air fryer Ginger turmeric scallops with mango cucumber salad (one of my favorites)

Tuna steaks with cucumber peanut salad
I just purchased the app. You can get a whole year for $49.99. That's just a little over four bucks a month. Less than the price of one fast food meal or one fancy coffee. I think it will be totally worth it! :)

I just purchased the app. You can get a whole year for $49.99. That's just a little over four bucks a month. Less than the price of one fast food meal or one fancy coffee. I think it will be totally worth it! :)
Have fun! I have only found a couple of recipes that have sort of been let downs, everything else has been really good. I’ll type in a couple of ingredients I have and it will come back usually with something I can make.

Freeze dried eggs done and packaged. They had frozen fruit on sale so I bought some to try in the freeze dryer. Got some mango to try in the cucumber salad in the future. Sometimes it’s hard to find fresh around here. Sliced strawberries and bananas, pineapple and raspberries as well. Trying to find things on special as everything seems so expensive.

Tacos for dinner tonight with the ground beef from our butchered heifer. Fresh pico, refried beans, rice and some guacamole as sides.

So glad that Websleuths is back up! The only good thing about it was that DH and I finished packing for our upcoming cruise. We planned to finish today, and when I couldn't be on Websleuths, we decided that we'd use the time to finish packing and be done with it. DH has a recall visit tomorrow with our ophthalmologist following Yag laser procedure two weeks ago, and I have to have labs Tuesday prior to my annual physical on February 9. We have hair and nail appointments Thursday and leave for our trip on Friday. Ship sails at 3:30 on Saturday.

We enjoyed our dinner at Picano's last night as the restaurant celebrated its 38th anniversary. It was very festive with special menu items, valet parking, and $10 gift cards for each adult guest. Despite some amazing dinner options, we both decided on simple pasta dishes. I had Linguine Aglio e Olio with julienned grilled chicken, while DH had Pasta a La Christina that is baked vermicelli with meat sauce and mushrooms, topped with a medley of Italian cheeses. Our portions were huge and far too much to eat at one sitting, so we both had leftovers for lunch. I got a cannoli to go which I haven't eaten yet. Tomorrow I will make a frittata to use up mushrooms and spinach, and we'll do takeout the rest of the week.

Last edited:
Fruit did well in freeze dryer, sliced up some apples that I got for $1/pound and some yogurt for yogurt bites. Will be plating up my leftover chicken vindaloo, some leftover scalloped potatoes and some extra cilantro for the run after apples.

Making chicken noodle soup for my husband tonight so he has lunch for the week. Tonight he’ll finish off his beef and barley soup. I’ll probably have leftover calzone.

I don’t know what type of cabbage this one is either. We’ve been reading recipes for last weeks Chinese cabbage. Stir fry sounds like the best option.

I’ve never seen BBQ Green Onion before. I’m not sure if kiddo will peel & cube the mangoes. She’s stopped eating them too as a precaution. I can’t even touch them. I’ll have my youngest wash up the oranges for me since they touched the mangoes.

I’m going to reach out to my friend and see if she wants those drinks from last week and this lunchmeat I can’t eat.

Those little vacuum packed things of guacamole I’m going to freeze. Youngest doesn’t eat much avocado but the oldest will devour them.

Roasted Brussels sprouts are on the menu! I’m waiting for my Bibb lettuce & romaine in the garden to mature so these greens will be a great supplement for us.

I injured my thumb so I can’t do food prep nor wash dishes. Kiddo has been a big help.

Attachments

• 9B7CF06B-4525-4145-8D2C-3A3FE0C8A6C7.jpeg
    9B7CF06B-4525-4145-8D2C-3A3FE0C8A6C7.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 14
  • B781969C-5AE5-48DA-A26C-EAEFDB8810F6.jpeg
    B781969C-5AE5-48DA-A26C-EAEFDB8810F6.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 16BC8438-EB5E-44DE-8350-A0FFD84485BC.jpeg
    16BC8438-EB5E-44DE-8350-A0FFD84485BC.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.