Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I make chicken liver pate a couple of times a year. Not a fan of plain chicken livers, and I don't like calf or beef liver. It's funny that I will eat raw or very rare red meat but no raw fish or seafood other than ahi tuna (Tuna Tartare or seared ahi tuna).

My late MIL introduced me to Steak Tartare at The London Chop house. That's also where I had foie gras for the first time.
Ah yes, the London Chop House: Used to go there for business lunches many years ago! Loved it!

It’s 39 degrees this morning and comfort food is on the menu. Dug thru the fridge and freezer to see what we had on hand for veggie soup. Thought I’d use up as much as possible before Wednesday’s produce pickup.

The house smells good.

Attachments

• 6DD0C239-DD64-4FD8-ACCF-2CA5422BB17D.jpeg
    6DD0C239-DD64-4FD8-ACCF-2CA5422BB17D.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 16
veg.jpg

Dinner tonight is a tray of stuff! Carrot, parsnip, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, swede, and potato, cooked in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and partner is cooking steak in a pan on the stove to go with.

Since DH and I will both be home all day, we're going to make beef stew. My PTs advised me not to stand for long periods of time as it aggravates the bursitis in my hip, so I can do some of the prep, and DH can do some, as well. Nino's is featuring stewing beef this week, so we got a little over a pound, to which I'll add Yukon Gold potatoes, carrots, white mushrooms, and cippolini onions, beef stock, and red wine. While we were waiting at the meat counter, bottles of Original Zip Sauce caught my eye, so I put one in our cart; I'll use it to flavor the stew. Think I'll go all out and make Bisquick dumplings to top the stew - this might be the only time I make beef stew this winter.

Even though we're going to Picano's for their 38th anniversary celebration on Saturday, we went last night because we haven't been out to dinner since Christmas Eve. We planned to go two weeks ago and decided to stay home because it was raining. We had a lovely meal even though our regular Sunday waitress had the day off. Picano's is back to their regular menu following the holidays, and there were some awesome specials yesterday. DH had swordfish with fruit salsa, and I had salmon with sundried tomato pesto. It was so good, and I have leftover fish and veggies for lunch. I also got a cannoli to go to enjoy later today.

We've started organizing clothing, etc. for our cruise and hope to finish next weekend. We both needed toiletry items and took care of that last week. We'll set aside an hour or two for "power packing" on Saturday or Sunday, go through our travel checklist, lock the bags, and put luggage straps on the two bags that are checked. We'll arrive in Fort Lauderdale @ 5:30 on the 27th, unwind after our flight, then enjoy a couple of appetizers and wine in the Renaissance hotel lounge. We're scheduled for embarkation at 11:30 on Saturday. Ship sails @ 3:30PM. Looking forward to some nice dinners on the ship.

Last edited:
Since DH and I will both be home all day, we're going to make beef stew. My PTs advised me not to stand for long periods of time as it aggravates the bursitis in my hip, so I can do some of the prep, and DH can do some, as well. Nino's is featuring stewing beef this week, so we got a little over a pound, to which I'll add Yukon Gold potatoes, carrots, white mushrooms, and cippolini onions, beef stock, and red wine. While we were waiting at the meat counter, bottles of Original Zip Sauce caught my eye, so I put one in our cart; I'll use it to flavor the stew. Think I'll go all out and make Bisquick dumplings to top the stew - this might be the only time I make beef stew this winter.

Even though we're going to Picano's for their 38th anniversary celebration on Saturday, we went last night because we haven't been out to dinner since Christmas Eve. We planned to go two weeks ago and decided to stay home because it was raining. We had a lovely meal even though our regular Sunday waitress had the day off. Picano's is back to their regular menu following the holidays, and there were some awesome specials yesterday. DH had swordfish with fruit salsa, and I had salmon with sundried tomato pesto. It was so good, and I have leftover fish and veggies for lunch. I also got a cannoli to go to enjoy later today.

We've started organizing clothing, etc. for our cruise and hope to finish next weekend. We both needed toiletry items and took care of that last week. We'll set aside an hour or two for "power packing" on Saturday or Sunday, go through our travel checklist, lock the bags, and put luggage straps on the two bags that are checked. We'll arrive in Fort Lauderdale @ 5:30 on the 27th, unwind after our flight, then enjoy a couple of appetizers and wine in the Renaissance hotel lounge. We're schedule for embarkation at 11:30 on Saturday. Ship sails @ 3:30PM. Looking forward to some nice dinners on the ship.
That swordfish sounds amazing.

Since I am no longer able to go camping nor have a fire pit, I gave the roasting sticks to my oldest. So this is what her and her friends are doing with them. LOL!

S’mores with waffles & Reeses peanut butter cups. The oldest isn’t allergic to nuts, lucky girl.

Attachments

• E91846ED-62F7-44DC-BA53-05CDF53C8A26.jpeg
    E91846ED-62F7-44DC-BA53-05CDF53C8A26.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 16

We've started organizing clothing, etc. for our cruise and hope to finish next weekend. We both needed toiletry items and took care of that last week. We'll set aside an hour or two for "power packing" on Saturday or Sunday, go through our travel checklist, lock the bags, and put luggage straps on the two bags that are checked. We'll arrive in Fort Lauderdale @ 5:30 on the 27th, unwind after our flight, then enjoy a couple of appetizers and wine in the Renaissance hotel lounge. We're scheduled for embarkation at 11:30 on Saturday. Ship sails @ 3:30PM. Looking forward to some nice dinners on the ship.
Your beef stew is much like mine. I looked up Zip Sauce and found this article that makes me want to go to Michigan and sample the special foods there: Just Add Butter: What the Heck Is Michigan Zip Sauce?

So my question is, do you actually add butter to Zip Sauce?

Your beef stew is much like mine. I looked up Zip Sauce and found this article that makes me want to go to Michigan and sample the special foods there: Just Add Butter: What the Heck Is Michigan Zip Sauce?

So my question is, do you actually add butter to Zip Sauce?
I won't be adding butter to my Zip Sauce when I add it to the beef stew, but when it's served in a restaurant, it looks greasy. I assume the greasy appearance is from the butter. I don't care for Zip Sauce because it is very salty and tends to overwhelm whatever you're eating. Some restaurants actually serve steak in the Zip Sauce, but I always ask for mine on the side if it's included; I wouldn't pay extra for it.

I remembered that the latest Ina Garten cookbook - Modern Comfort Food - has an "ultimate" beef stew recipe. The recipe calls for pancetta, but I will use bacon. She also adds canned diced tomatoes and tomato paste, both of which I have. Cognac and red wine. Ina's recipe uses short ribs, but I'm using Nino's beef stew meat. Prep is done, and I have the cippolini onions blanching in hot water so the skins peel easily. I'll get the meal going at @ 3:00.

I always take the “Most Popular in Every State” lists with a grain of salt. They miss the mark so often that I wonder where they come up with their information.

Today I saw another “Most Popular” list and this one was about tailgate food. For the state of Indiana they claimed that French Onion Soup was the most popular. Couldn’t believe it!

I have been a frequent tailgater ever since childhood, as my parents were both sports fans. My dad was a sports photographer. And I have continued frequent tailgating as an adult. So I can’t begin to count the number of tailgating parties I have attended.

I have never seen French onion soup at a tailgate. Not one time.

Chili, yes. Ham and been soup, yes. But never French onion soup.

^ Fun read. Thanks for sharing. That's some pretty fancy tailgating grub :D

There's a food map with each state's favorite "dip" in the February issue of Food Network Magazine. Spread out over all 50 states are these six dips: Spinach-Artichoke, Blue Cheese, Salsa, Ranch, Cheese, and Guacamole.

Last edited:
I won't be adding butter to my Zip Sauce when I add it to the beef stew, but when it's served in a restaurant, it looks greasy. I assume the greasy appearance is from the butter. I don't care for Zip Sauce because it is very salty and tends to overwhelm whatever you're eating. Some restaurants actually serve steak in the Zip Sauce, but I always ask for mine on the side if it's included; I wouldn't pay extra for it.

I remembered that the latest Ina Garten cookbook - Modern Comfort Food - has an "ultimate" beef stew recipe. The recipe calls for pancetta, but I will use bacon. She also adds canned diced tomatoes and tomato paste, both of which I have. Cognac and red wine. Ina's recipe uses short ribs, but I'm using Nino's beef stew meat. Prep is done, and I have the cippolini onions blanching in hot water so the skins peel easily. I'll get the meal going at @ 3:00.
I gave that cookbook to my DIL for Christmas….I should have photographed some recipes first!

Your stew will be divine!

A true and funny story about the Dairy history of Wisconsin....

Wisconsin has long been considered the Dairy State. Many working family Dairy farms still remain and are trying to survive the pressure of large companys.This article is worth a read! Just how hard Wisconsin has fought the introduction of any and every "dairy-substitute"

JMO

Last edited:
A true and funny story about the Dairy history of Wisconsin....

Wisconsin has long been considered the Dairy State. Many working family Dairy farms still remain and are trying to survive the pressure of large companys.This article is worth a read! Just how hard Wisconsin has fought the introduction of any and every "dairy-substitute"

JMO
Interesting!

Enjoy your trip. It sounds lovely. We're hoping to escape the cold Idaho winter in a few weeks and enjoy some sun and golfing in Arizona. I still have to do all the cooking though.

I always take the “Most Popular in Every State” lists with a grain of salt. They miss the mark so often that I wonder where they come up with their information.

Today I saw another “Most Popular” list and this one was about tailgate food. For the state of Indiana they claimed that French Onion Soup was the most popular. Couldn’t believe it!

I have been a frequent tailgater ever since childhood, as my parents were both sports fans. My dad was a sports photographer. And I have continued frequent tailgating as an adult. So I can’t begin to count the number of tailgating parties I have attended.

Never been to a tailgating (?) in my life but I might like to some time before I die, lol!

This comment is about the article above regarding Wisconsin’s wacky butter laws.

We only use real butter. We buy whatever brand is on sale. I stocked up during holiday baking season last year (2022) when Kroger was having there baking sale. I paid 1.99 a pound for most of my stock pile. The Kroger brand is currently $5 a pound in Indiana.

Now, I am craving a steaming hot baked potato with melted butter!

Language is funny. In Australia, tailgating means driving way too close to the car in front, right up someone's patootie, and you can get fined for it if a police officer catches you at it.

Enjoy your trip. It sounds lovely. We're hoping to escape the cold Idaho winter in a few weeks and enjoy some sun and golfing in Arizona. I still have to do all the cooking though.
Thank you. So far, our winter hasn't been too bad from the standpoint of snowfall, but most days are dark and dreary with little sunshine. That is what I most look forward to on our cruise. It will be nice to not have to plan meals or cook, but we will be very particular about where we eat while onboard. We basically avoid the main dining rooms because they are usually crowded with little spacing between tables, very noisy, and slow service that makes meals last too long. We prefer to enjoy dinner in the specialty dining facilities (upcharge) or room service for breakfast and/or midday snack. We completely avoid the buffet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay