Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. So far, our winter hasn't been too bad from the standpoint of snowfall, but most days are dark and dreary with little sunshine. That is what I most look forward to on our cruise. It will be nice to not have to plan meals or cook, but we will be very particular about where we eat while onboard. We basically avoid the main dining rooms because they are usually crowded with little spacing between tables, very noisy, and slow service that makes meals last too long. We prefer to enjoy dinner in the specialty dining facilities (upcharge) or room service for breakfast and/or midday snack. We completely avoid the buffet!

Sounds like a lovely trip- how long will you be on the cruise? getting away from dreary Michigan is a good thing!

A helpful chart. Egg substations for baking!
My chickens are finally picking up egg production. We cleaned out the fridge and as long as it wasn’t moldy or rancid, the chickens get to eat it. After the smoked salmon filet I got 6 eggs the next day. Pretty sure the cost of salmon is greater than the cost of eggs but at least it didn’t go to waste.

Todays produce pick up. Always an odd item. This week it’s drinks. They have coconut so I can’t drink them. Not sure if my youngest can or not.

I’m thinking of making fries from the potatoes. We are not sweet potato fans and the oldest, who does like them, lives too far away now.

I washed, dried and cut up the carrots. Put half in the freezer. I didn’t blanch/ice, we will eat them soon, just not all in one week.

I’ve got the scallions draining over an upside down colander. They’re in reasonable shape. I picked off the bad areas. But I don’t want to take a chance with food poisoning.

I think that’s bok choy? I pulled off the outer leaves and washed it off. It’s draining too. Im pretty sure kiddo stir fries that.

All the tomatoes were smooshed so I had to toss them. They sure smelled good tho.

As always so grateful for the help!

Attachments

• B99F5BAB-C6D0-4235-ADB1-E5E39978BF30.jpeg
    B99F5BAB-C6D0-4235-ADB1-E5E39978BF30.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 59C99419-0A04-4ACC-8010-EAB868FF552C.jpeg
    59C99419-0A04-4ACC-8010-EAB868FF552C.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 1C0F0CE8-C5B4-4301-89B2-ED7C1AD410C4.jpeg
    1C0F0CE8-C5B4-4301-89B2-ED7C1AD410C4.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 20
  • D16C704D-DA8F-42D0-B0D7-11AAC8694940.jpeg
    D16C704D-DA8F-42D0-B0D7-11AAC8694940.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 51424A0D-245B-4BC5-ABE6-CADE015DC17C.jpeg
    51424A0D-245B-4BC5-ABE6-CADE015DC17C.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 25
  • BFEEFA86-EC11-40E5-968D-9D00B05D7259.jpeg
    BFEEFA86-EC11-40E5-968D-9D00B05D7259.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 27
Todays produce pick up. Always an odd item. This week it’s drinks. They have coconut so I can’t drink them. Not sure if my youngest can or not.

I’m thinking of making fries from the potatoes. We are not sweet potato fans and the oldest, who does like them, lives too far away now.

I washed, dried and cut up the carrots. Put half in the freezer. I didn’t blanch/ice, we will eat them soon, just not all in one week.

I’ve got the scallions draining over an upside down colander. They’re in reasonable shape. I picked off the bad areas. But I don’t want to take a chance with food poisoning.

I think that’s bok choy? I pulled off the outer leaves and washed it off. It’s draining too. Im pretty sure kiddo stir fries that.

All the tomatoes were smooshed so I had to toss them. They sure smelled good tho.

That's Chinese cabbage. In Australia we call it wombok. The thing we call bok choy is the same plant, but looks very different, like a little bunch of spinach. And yes, you can stirfry it.

That's Chinese cabbage. In Australia we call it wombok. The thing we call bok choy is the same plant, but looks very different, like a little bunch of spinach. And yes, you can stirfry it.
I call it Napa Cabbage in TX. I make a really good slaw with it with sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, honey, soy sauce, carrots and scallions. I also use it in what my husband calls “turkey neck soup”. It’s actually pork necks slow cooked in chicken stock with ginger and garlic. After a few hours of simmering I strain it and add Napa cabbage, bok Choy and scallions and some Chinese 5 spice. It’s pretty tasty and relatively cheap.

Re pic 5 and talking as we were about language differences - morning glory means something very very different in the UK :D

There's plenty of leftover beef stew, but we're having grilled pork tenderloin with Brussels sprouts tonight. I will marinate the pork in cranberry-blueberry jam and aged blueberry balsamic vinegar. Roasted Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, pepper, and freshly grated Parm.

I am quite sore after my Physical Therapy session yesterday, but it's "good" soreness and means that I'm really working those muscles. Both PTs have acknowledged my steady progress; I will be discharged tomorrow.

There's plenty of leftover beef stew, but we're having grilled pork tenderloin with Brussels sprouts tonight. I will marinate the pork in cranberry-blueberry jam and aged blueberry balsamic vinegar. Roasted Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, pepper, and freshly grated Parm.

I am quite sore after my Physical Therapy session yesterday, but it's "good" soreness and means that I'm really working those muscles. Both PTs have acknowledged my steady progress; I will be discharged tomorrow.
Serious dinner envy from me. Yum!

The meat I put in freeze dryer finally finished and now I have them stored in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. In theory I should be able to pull them out in the next 10 years or so, add some water and use them. Eggs are freezing now, 3 dozen chicken and 1 dozen duck. Leftovers for dinner since I was busy with other stuff. Tomorrow night calzones in the air fryer are on the agenda.

Oven baked Dutch Cream potato and sweet potato wedges, pan cooked salmon, side salad of spinach, rocket, cherry tomatoes and baby cucumbers. I salt and peppered the wedges when I put them in to cook, and finished the salad with a drizzle of balsamic and the rest with a drizzle of sweet chili sauce.
fish.jpg

Pancakes on the menu. Added bananas, strawberries, chocolate chips. They hit the spot. I had been craving pancakes for a week or more. I was given this box mix and the directions must have been printed wrong. It said add water but I used whole milk. They were very thin like crepes. So I mixed it up thicker. Much better.

Attachments

• A8FC6053-224C-46D5-BF3D-23D103B9F3F4.jpeg
    A8FC6053-224C-46D5-BF3D-23D103B9F3F4.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 10
  • E1BEE8B5-30E5-4F71-A18A-97CF52AB55A7.jpeg
    E1BEE8B5-30E5-4F71-A18A-97CF52AB55A7.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 10
  • D9707E5A-E07C-4663-9E8A-D8322A2F971C.jpeg
    D9707E5A-E07C-4663-9E8A-D8322A2F971C.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 10
Pancakes on the menu. Added bananas, strawberries, chocolate chips. They hit the spot. I had been craving pancakes for a week or more. I was given this box mix and the directions must have been printed wrong. It said add water but I used whole milk. They were very thin like crepes. So I mixed it up thicker. Much better.

Those look really good. I’ll have to do breakfast for dinner this week.

Oven baked Dutch Cream potato and sweet potato wedges, pan cooked salmon, side salad of spinach, rocket, cherry tomatoes and baby cucumbers. I salt and peppered the wedges when I put them in to cook, and finished the salad with a drizzle of balsamic and the rest with a drizzle of sweet chili sauce.
View attachment 396302
That meal looks delicious. I’m growing mini gourmet cucumbers. The plant looks awful but I am getting blossoms and tiny cucumbers. I just planted a second round but only 3 plants. My Roma tomatoes are doing good and so is the spinach and lettuces. Trying to get as much grown as possible before the heat kicks in.

Attachments

• 0F949228-4AEA-467B-820A-7B20BB0E0BBE.jpeg
    0F949228-4AEA-467B-820A-7B20BB0E0BBE.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 9
  • F207961C-F8A2-46C4-9EDC-7EFB4DC6D791.jpeg
    F207961C-F8A2-46C4-9EDC-7EFB4DC6D791.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 9
  • 8CB7D9A8-AF5D-472A-B065-23FF6AF4D2AA.jpeg
    8CB7D9A8-AF5D-472A-B065-23FF6AF4D2AA.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 9
That meal looks delicious. I’m growing mini gourmet cucumbers. The plant looks awful but I am getting blossoms and tiny cucumbers. I just planted a second round but only 3 plants. My Roma tomatoes are doing good and so is the spinach and lettuces. Trying to get as much grown as possible before the heat kicks in.
This time of year, we have this side salad a LOT. We sometimes slice up raw green beans into it. Or corn - the one from tonight actually had corn in it too, I just forgot when I posted. Sometimes my portion has sliced apple in it, too. (Partner can't have apple because FODMAP.) Often we dress it with a mix of pomegranate molasses and Chang's Crispy Noodle Salad Dressing, or just with balsamic like I did today.

What do you do with your cucumbers? Eat them fresh, or cook with them somehow? I know a lot of people make pickles, but I hate, hate gherkins, and dill. So, no pickles for me. Not dill pickles, anyway.

Last edited:
Those look wonderful! Our breakfast was waffles with banana, pecan pieces, and maple syrup. Waffles were frozen from Trader Joe's--very tasty!

This time of year, we have this side salad a LOT. We sometimes slice up raw green beans into it. Or corn - the one from tonight actually had corn in it too, I just forgot when I posted. Sometimes my portion has sliced apple in it, too. (Partner can't have apple because FODMAP.) Often we dress it with a mix of pomegranate molasses and Chang's Crispy Noodle Salad Dressing, or just with balsamic like I did today.

What do you do with your cucumbers? Eat then fresh, or cook with them somehow? I know a lot of people make pickles, but I hate, hate gherkins, and dill. So, no pickles for me. Not dill pickles, anyway.
We eat them fresh mainly. Altho I’ve been know to make a tomatoe & cucumber sandwich. I love pickles. I tried canning them but they didn’t turn out well.

Those look wonderful! Our breakfast was waffles with banana, pecan pieces, and maple syrup. Waffles were frozen from Trader Joe's--very tasty!
I have a waffle maker too because we have to make our own waffle recipe. A gluten free waffle mix has other things we are allergic to. One time I had to do 3 different recipes. I usually make a bunch then freeze them. Each of us has our own bag with our name on it.

They look yummy! I actually prefer thinner pancakes, not as thin as crepes, but not as thick and fluffy as most people like them. Somewhere in between.

Most of the breakfast restaurants seem to make pancakes super thick and fluffy. Those tend to lay like lead in my stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member