Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not forget about foie gras (which I have never eaten):

Foie gras (English: /ˌfwɑːˈɡrɑː/ (listen), French: [fwa ɡʁɑ]; French for 'fat liver') is a specialty food product made of the liver of a duck or goose. According to French law,[1] foie gras is defined as the liver of a duck or goose fattened by gavage (force feeding).

Foie gras is a popular and well-known delicacy in French cuisine. Its flavour is rich, buttery, and delicate, unlike an ordinary duck or goose liver. Foie gras is sold whole or is prepared into mousse, parfait, or pâté, and may also be served as an accompaniment to another food item, such as steak. French law states, "Foie gras belongs to the protected cultural and gastronomical heritage of France."[2]
I've mentioned several times on this thread that I love liverwurst, and I also like chicken livers. I've had pate de foie gras several times in high-end restaurants and always order it when it's on a menu. I also like Steak Tartare that is very rare or raw beef tenderloin with seasonings, usually topped with a poached egg. I look forward to having Steak Tartare at the Crown Grill aboard Enchanted Princess. Steak tartare - Wikipedia

Beef fat seems like it would cause flames! I have never heard of that before. I like them when they’re rolled in the big pieces of salt & baked. Not that I should be eating that much salt tho. I picked up 2 big ones to bake this week.
When I bake potatoes at home I use the huge baking potatoes that I get at Costco. One potato makes a meal!

I rub the potatoes in olive oil then roll in sea salt flakes. They sizzle in the oven a little while they are baking.

I split the potatoes and top with sour cream, snipped green onions, and bits of cheese. I will use fresh broccoli, peppers, or other vegetables if I have them too.

I found out the “recipe” for Texas Roadhouse baked potatoes some time back when I mentioned to a server their potatoes were always perfect. She is the one who told me they coat the potatoes in beef fat before baking, and bake at 550 degrees.

I have also seen “copycat” recipes for Texas Roadhouse baked potatoes that mention you can substitute bacon grease for the beef fat that they use in their cooking method. We don’t eat bacon or any other meat so I just use olive oil to coat my potatoes before baking.

Nice! I had chips last night, by which I mean, I scrubbed a bunch of dirty potatoes just to get the dirt off, cut them into quarters or sixths according to size in wedge shapes, coated them in oil, stock powder, white pepper, smoky paprika, thyme and sage, and cooked them in the oven in a tray at 180C for about an hour and twenty minutes, then covered them in cheese, cooked them a few minutes longer, and ate them. :)

Not quite baked potatoes, but baked potatoes-adjacent. :D

(They're a sometimes-food, because it is literally potatoes and cheese. Delicious, delicious potatoes and cheese.)
You can’t go wrong with potatoes and cheese.

I have always said that if I have potatoes and cheese I can make a meal with those ingredients plus anything random I can find in the pantry and refrigerator.

I have always said that if I have potatoes and cheese I can make a meal with those ingredients plus anything random I can find in the pantry and refrigerator.
Potatoes and cheese, or dried pasta and cheese, plus anything from the veggie drawer of the fridge that's on the edge = dinner, 90% of the time in my house. :D

Meat prep is done. I combined the 3 packages of ground meats. (Turkey, chicken, pork) Split it into 3 parts. The pork provided just enough fat. I didn’t need to add oil or drain the meat.

Taco meat, chili meat and spaghetti sauce with meat. I will divide it up into 2 batches for each flavor and freeze it.

Attachments

• C5557729-3013-44E1-A09E-24A53CC0880F.jpeg
    C5557729-3013-44E1-A09E-24A53CC0880F.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DCF885EA-3B60-4052-90CF-4C130BADD88C.jpeg
    DCF885EA-3B60-4052-90CF-4C130BADD88C.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 7
Meat prep is done. I combined the 3 packages of ground meats. (Turkey, chicken, pork) Split it into 3 parts. The pork provided just enough fat. I didn’t need to add oil or drain the meat.

Taco meat, chili meat and spaghetti sauce with meat. I will divide it up into 2 batches for each flavor and freeze it.
Ooh, speaking of, that's another thing that goes great in baked potatoes - savoury mince. Now I want some!

Things can go wrong with cheese when you're lactose intolerant :eek: I used to love cheese and probably atesome type of cheese every day until it started to cause digestive issues. I can tolerate small amounts of some cheeses, but I avoid it for the most part. Lactaid helps sometimes but not always, so it's best not to press my luck. I love a baked potato with a dab of butter, salt, and pepper - definitely among my favorite comfort foods.

Last edited:
Things can go wrong with cheese when you're lactose intolerant :eek: I used to love cheese an probably atesome type of cheese every day until it started to cause digestive issues. I can tolerate small amounts of some cheeses, but I avoid it for the most part. Lactaid helps sometimes but not always, so it's best not to press my luck. I love a baked potato with a dab of butter, salt, and pepper - definitely among my favorite comfort foods.
My partner is actually lactose intolerant. She has some dairy free stuff, but she can also take lactase tablets with any meal she has that has lactose. Seems to do the trick. Now if only there were pills for gluten or FODMAP, that'd be amazing!

When DH and I went to Alaska, we spent two pre-cruise nights in Seattle. The Marriott hotel where we stayed had a lavish breakfast buffet, but we prefer ordering from the menu. I had the same Dungeness crab omelet both mornings. It was so good! I like Maryland blue crab and soft-shell crab, but I don't care for Alaskan King crab legs which I had on the ship. Thank goodness there was delicious Alaskan salmon available :)
Salmon sounds so good! I usually bake it when my oldest is visiting. We take turns buying it at Detwilers. But she’s not due for a visit anytime soon. So I will wait. They do have flounder on sale…..

Potatoes and cheese, or dried pasta and cheese, plus anything from the veggie drawer of the fridge that's on the edge = dinner, 90% of the time in my house. :D
Pasta and cheese is great too. We always have several different varieties of cheese on hand and it is good to use the various bits of them in a baked pasta dish. And the 1/4 of red bell pepper, 1/2 of a yellow pepper, and the last stalk of broccoli.

My “recipe” for making a good meal from leftovers:

Bits of various fresh veggies from the veggie drawer +

Bits of various cheeses from the cheese drawer +

A sauce: marinara, white sauce, cheese sauce, etc. +

A base: pasta, baked potatoes, rice, flatbread, or pizza dough

= a great meal that doesn’t taste like leftovers

I think I finally got freeze dryer working. I’ve done werther’s soft caramels successfully and skittles. Time to get busy with what it’s purpose was. Tonight I put in thin sliced pork loin we smoked, wild turkey breast we smoked and some smoked ham. Goal is to package these for long term storage. If they work, raw eggs will be next on agenda.

I think I finally got freeze dryer working. I’ve done werther’s soft caramels successfully and skittles. Time to get busy with what it’s purpose was. Tonight I put in thin sliced pork loin we smoked, wild turkey breast we smoked and some smoked ham. Goal is to package these for long term storage. If they work, raw eggs will be next on agenda.
I don't quite understand what you'll be doing with the raw eggs and the dehydrator?

You're making jerky with the various meats, right?

We don't have a frezzedryer, we have a dehydrator. We haven't used it recently, but they're great for preserving a glut of stuff, or making snacks. My partner likes tomato slices sprinkled with nutritional yeast. I love dehydrating strips of citrus peel. If you get them really nice and leathery, and then, when you want to use them, blitz them in a coffee grinder, you can add citrus flavour to anything without adding liquid, at any time of year, which is fantastic for things with a limited season, like tangelos. It's great in shortbread, for example.

I've mentioned several times on this thread that I love liverwurst, and I also like chicken livers. I've had pate de foie gras several times in high-end restaurants and always order it when it's on a menu. I also like Steak Tartare that is very rare or raw beef tenderloin with seasonings, usually topped with a poached egg. I look forward to having Steak Tartare at the Crown Grill aboard Enchanted Princess. Steak tartare - Wikipedia

I love sauteed chicken livers- don't have them often though-
I cannot imagine eating raw beef (Steak Tartare)---
I had pate de foie gras once, that was in Washington many years ago at the Watergate restaurant!

I don't quite understand what you'll be doing with the raw eggs and the dehydrator?

You're making jerky with the various meats, right?
Freeze dryer is a bit different than dehydrator. It uses a vacuum and low temperatures to extract the water from food. When it comes time to use the food, liquid is added and the food should go back to similar taste and texture. Properly packaged food should last for a long time. It’s like Astronaut food or an MRE that I can make myself.

Freeze dryer is a bit different than dehydrator. It uses a vacuum and low temperatures to extract the water from food. When it comes time to use the food, liquid is added and the food should go back to similar taste and texture. Properly packaged food should last for a long time. It’s like Astronaut food or an MRE that I can make myself.
Ok...thanks.
It all make sense now.

I love sauteed chicken livers- don't have them often though-
I cannot imagine eating raw beef (Steak Tartare)---
I had pate de foie gras once, that was in Washington many years ago at the Watergate restaurant!
I make chicken liver pate a couple of times a year. Not a fan of plain chicken livers, and I don't like calf or beef liver. It's funny that I will eat raw or very rare red meat but no raw fish or seafood other than ahi tuna (Tuna Tartare or seared ahi tuna).

My late MIL introduced me to Steak Tartare at The London Chop house. That's also where I had foie gras for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flimflam