Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With our trip coming up in two weeks from today, we are trying to cut back on food purchases and have been cautious about buying fresh fruits and vegetables. We had three meals from a Costco rotisserie chicken last week and dinner/lunch leftovers from a take-and-bake Buddy's pizza from Nino's. We both agree that we really do not like Buddy's original Detroit-style pizza and prefer Jet's; even Nino's pizza is better than Buddy's.

Eggplant (aubergine!) is featured at Nino's this week, so I will make Eggplant Napoleons to accompany fish (Orange Roughy on special this week). Beef stew meat is on sale, so that will be on our menu, as well. Nino's bacon is a Rewards weekend special; we haven't had BLTs for a while, so that's another meal. Bacon lasts in the fridge or can be frozen, so there is no waste.

My physical therapy (hip bursitis) is going well. I have a session this afternoon, and I think I will be discharged after my two sessions next week. Very little, if any, pain when walking, and my hip never bothers me otherwise. I have been diligent with my home exercise program and will continue while we are on our cruise. I bought some lidocaine patches to take on the cruise (just in case!), and Ziploc bags can be filled with ice cubes if I have discomfort.

We've been putting clothing, etc. on the bed in the guest room in preparation for packing. We have a lengthy list of everything that we need to pack and toiletry items that we need to purchase. We plan to pack next weekend as the week before we leave will be a bit hectic with hair and nail appointments and last-minute errands. Picano's will celebrate their 38th anniversary on Saturday, January 21, so we will be going out to dinner that evening.

I once dated a guy who refused to even take a bite of any eggplant dish because, as he stated repeatedly, “I don’t eat purple food” and “Anything purple can’t possibly taste good”

Eggplant is one of my favorite foods so this was a problem.

He sealed the deal by refusing to sample my homemade cheesecake, he actually shuddered when he told me he couldn’t believe anyone would put cheese into cake.

I decided that we weren’t culinarily compatible, lol.
I think you made a good decision.

When I was single and out there - used to go to dances (where I met my husband)- met all kinds of creepy guys but one stood out- because he alphabetized his canned goods--- that was enough for me--!!!!

With our trip coming up in two weeks from today, we are trying to cut back on food purchases and have been cautious about buying fresh fruits and vegetables. We had three meals from a Costco rotisserie chicken last week and dinner/lunch leftovers from a take-and-bake Buddy's pizza from Nino's. We both agree that we really do not like Buddy's original Detroit-style pizza and prefer Jet's; even Nino's pizza is better than Buddy's.

Eggplant (aubergine!) is featured at Nino's this week, so I will make Eggplant Napoleons to accompany fish (Orange Roughy on special this week). Beef stew meat is on sale, so that will be on our menu, as well. Nino's bacon is a Rewards weekend special; we haven't had BLTs for a while, so that's another meal. Bacon lasts in the fridge or can be frozen, so there is no waste.

My physical therapy (hip bursitis) is going well. I have a session this afternoon, and I think I will be discharged after my two sessions next week. Very little, if any, pain when walking, and my hip never bothers me otherwise. I have been diligent with my home exercise program and will continue while we are on our cruise. I bought some lidocaine patches to take on the cruise (just in case!), and Ziploc bags can be filled with ice cubes if I have discomfort.

We've been putting clothing, etc. on the bed in the guest room in preparation for packing. We have a lengthy list of everything that we need to pack and toiletry items that we need to purchase. We plan to pack next weekend as the week before we leave will be a bit hectic with hair and nail appointments and last-minute errands. Picano's will celebrate their 38th anniversary on Saturday, January 21, so we will be going out to dinner that evening.
Wow- your cruise is coming right up- glad the PT is working for you----- Enjoy your dinner at Picano's next week!!!!

Only keep fowl if you can handle the emotional stresses of them being taken by predators or just dying randomly for no reason. We've never kept birds, but our neighbour did. Our neighbour lived on a different property, the birds lived at their B&B business next door to us. It was... stressful, to say the least. Multiple incursions by foxes, some break and enter, some when they'd forget to put the geese and ducks away and we'd realise they were out still at ten at night when it was sleeting and trying to raise them on the phone when they'd had a couple of red wines while herding the survivours into their coops...

I'm sure others on here will have nontraumatic stories about keeping birds, and the fresh chicken, duck, and goose eggs were lovely, but it cemented for us that it would never be something we'd do ourselves.
My apologies for skimming your post, but that's exactly what I was doing (well, skimming all posts, not just yours!)

but I had to stop and read more carefully when I realized I was picturing you trying to call the chickens on the phone and they weren't answering because they were too busy drinking wine! :D

My apologies for skimming your post, but that's exactly what I was doing (well, skimming all posts, not just yours!)

but I had to stop and read more carefully when I realized I was picturing you trying to call the chickens on the phone and they weren't answering because they were too busy drinking wine! :D
I realised after I'd written it that I'd run all my thoughts together, and then I thought 'stuff it! I'll leave it, it captures the essence of the chaos, discomfort, gore, and frustration of the situations we found ourselves in, even if it is confusing'. :D

I"m glad to hear your PT and home exercises are working so well to relieve the hip pain!

I can imagine this as a cartoon!

Coq au vin on the hoof, so to speak. You get the bird drunk before you cook it.
You're all lolling at that like it's silly, and it was absolutely a joke, but I realised after I posted that that's essentially what ortolan is. Just much fancier and with a handkerchief over your head, and less stomping around in muddy, sleety paddocks trying to herd someone else's ducks in the pitch dark.

(And no, I never ate any of their birds, not even the fox casualties. Just lots of eggs.)

You're all lolling at that like it's silly, and it was absolutely a joke, but I realised after I posted that that's essentially what ortolan is. Just much fancier and with a handkerchief over your head, and less stomping around in muddy, sleety paddocks trying to herd someone else's ducks in the pitch dark.

(And no, I never ate any of their birds, not even the fox casualties. Just lots of eggs.)
Well, except without the part about the chickens refusing to answer the phone... :cool:

Maybe I should have chickens…… Sarasota County allows you to have 4. I wonder how many eggs that would be a week? I know zero about birds. They’d help my garden, right? They can’t be any noisier than the planes overhead, right? I’m in the landing path for SRQ. People visiting my house think it’s annoying. I have to remind them this is what affordable housing looks like here. Then they shut up.

Eggs: +59.9% annually; +11.1% from November

not allowed here but I recently saw some dozens of eggs for over $7.00 :(

(chickens can be a bit smelly if you are not cleaning up after them a lot)

Maybe I should have chickens…… Sarasota County allows you to have 4. I wonder how many eggs that would be a week? I know zero about birds. They’d help my garden, right? They can’t be any noisier than the planes overhead, right? I’m in the landing path for SRQ. People visiting my house think it’s annoying. I have to remind them this is what affordable housing looks like here. Then they shut up.

Eggs: +59.9% annually; +11.1% from November

I get all my eggs from a friend who has a chicken hobby. I say “hobby” because the eggs the chickens produce cost more than buying eggs at the grocery store. Of course, they taste much better.

I can’t remember the exact figures but when she decided she wanted to have chickens her husband kept track of her expense to see how long it took to recoup (no pun intended) her investment.

She ordered a custom built coop from the an Amish company, and it cost over $2,000. Then she had to have an area fenced around the coop to prevent foxes and hawks from being able to get the chickens.

Then she decided they needed more room to run so she had a much larger run put in.

Chicken feed is very expensive, especially when purchased in smaller amounts.

When she collected her first eggs her husband divided the number of eggs by her expenses and each egg cost hundreds of dollars.

She loves her chickens and treats them like pets.

She has a flock of 12 chickens, which is the limit that our city allows. I actually know several people who have “the city limit” of chickens, which is 12 chickens and no roosters allowed.

All of the people I know who have small flocks say it is because they love having chickens and fresh eggs, not to save money because it is not a cheap hobby.

Had to look up ortolan and I'm horrified!

I realised after I'd written it that I'd run all my thoughts together, and then I thought 'stuff it! I'll leave it, it captures the essence of the chaos, discomfort, gore, and frustration of the situations we found ourselves in, even if it is confusing'. :D
Your posts are always fun to read :)

Let's not forget about foie gras (which I have never eaten):

Foie gras (English: /ˌfwɑːˈɡrɑː/ (listen), French: [fwa ɡʁɑ]; French for 'fat liver') is a specialty food product made of the liver of a duck or goose. According to French law,[1] foie gras is defined as the liver of a duck or goose fattened by gavage (force feeding).

Foie gras is a popular and well-known delicacy in French cuisine. Its flavour is rich, buttery, and delicate, unlike an ordinary duck or goose liver. Foie gras is sold whole or is prepared into mousse, parfait, or pâté, and may also be served as an accompaniment to another food item, such as steak. French law states, "Foie gras belongs to the protected cultural and gastronomical heritage of France."[2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindyW1974