Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many pounds of Pork do you use per seasoning packet?
The packet says 3 lbs. I buy pork tenderloin when it’s on sale. Sometimes it’s just under 3 lbs and sometimes a little over. But it still comes out perfect. I pull it apart after it’s done and bag it up. I put spoonfuls of the juice/broth over the meat. That keeps it moist and when I thaw it, it’s not dry.

About to crack open a brand new tub of THE BEST ice cream. (Connoisseur Cafe Grande. Coffee flavoured ice cream, chocolate coated almonds, Grand Marnier syrup. Bliss.)

I'm almost, ALMOST up to the arrest in the Moscow thread, and I need the fuel. (Still only a hundred threads in on Delphi. *sigh*. I'll get there by June, I hope.)

Have we done eggplant/aubergine yet? Or cilantro/coriander?! :p

Yesterday I made an apple crumble cake using a US recipe. I do have measuring cups but oh my word, that was a challenge! Our recipes are in grammes so we just measure everything out on scales.
I love eggplant by either name! It's among my favorite vegetables - actually, eggplant is technically a fruit (seeds) - and is a major component of Ratatouille that is my favorite vegetable dish. I don't like fresh cilantro - blech! - but use dried cilantro and coriander in chili.

I love eggplant by either name! It's among my favorite vegetables - actually, eggplant is technically a fruit (seeds) - and is a major component of Ratatouille that is my favorite vegetable dish. I don't like fresh cilantro - blech! - but use dried cilantro and coriander in chili.
I love it too Bette but Mr HKP doesn’t like it at all. Otherwise I’d use it a lot more to make parmigiana but also veg lasagne and moussaka as well.

I do love fresh coriander/cilantro though. I make a calorific “guacanaise” for a quick side or dip - avocado, lime juice, chopped chilli, mayo and …coriander.

I love it too Bette but Mr HKP doesn’t like it at all. Otherwise I’d use it a lot more to make parmigiana but also veg lasagne and moussaka as well.

I do love fresh coriander/cilantro though. I make a calorific “guacanaise” for a quick side or dip - avocado, lime juice, chopped chilli, mayo and …coriander.
Oh that sounds yummy!

Confession time: I never know exactly what people -- especially non-American people -- mean when they say "chilli".

I'm used to specific varieties of "chili peppers" being spelled out in recipes: "jalapeno peppers" or "cayenne peppers" or "serrano peppers" etc.

In my spice cabinet is something called "chili powder" but it's a blend and not especially spicy. In fact you can get it mild or medium or hot. It goes into the meal called chili -- the meat/beans/spices stew that goes so well with cornbread.

Which chilli is used in this tasty-sounding guaca-concoction? TIA!

Confession time: I never know exactly what people -- especially non-American people -- mean when they say "chilli".

I'm used to specific varieties of "chili peppers" being spelled out in recipes: "jalapeno peppers" or "cayenne peppers" or "serrano peppers" etc.

In my spice cabinet is something called "chili powder" but it's a blend and not especially spicy. In fact you can get it mild or medium or hot. It goes into the meal called chili -- the meat/beans/spices stew that goes so well with cornbread.

I don't know about other people, but in Australia generic chilis you buy from the supermarket tend to be of the Thai variety (bird's eye) if you're talking fresh. In a jar, powdered or dried, who knows? XD

If I have them in the fridge, I would use fresh chillis. I buy a small packet of mixed chillis every couple of weeks. It doesn’t say exactly what type they are, although they’re not birds eye because they are fatter! They are a mix of green and red and they are jalapeño sized, so maybe they are jalapeños. They are not hugely spicy but I only use one.

I also have dried chilli flakes on the shelf which I use a lot and I would use them in the “guacanaise” if I didn’t have fresh. Tajin (found that thanks to this thread) also goes well in it if I don’t have fresh.

If I’m making a pot of chilli, I’ll either use fresh chopped, or chilli flakes, or cayenne powder, and we also have chilli powder. Tajin often goes in, but that’s quite salty. I sometimes add smoked Paprika too for a change in flavour, but not for heat obvs.

If I could only have one of all of the above - I’d have the dried chilli flakes. I find them the most versatile and a small amount gives a good amount of heat.

I finished harvesting all my green beans and pulled the plants. Then I planted the rest of the seeds from the packet. In 55-60 days, I should have another batch but about half the size of this current batch. Yesterday I roasted a batch with olive oil, powdered spices (garlic, onion, paprika), kosher salt and black pepper. Then I sprinkled Parmesan cheese on them. 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees. They are delicious!!

Attachments

• E26DC5ED-3259-424E-81AA-B167A012811A.jpeg
    E26DC5ED-3259-424E-81AA-B167A012811A.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 8
  • EF5688B0-5059-4354-8FE9-4CA06BD204CC.jpeg
    EF5688B0-5059-4354-8FE9-4CA06BD204CC.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 073F06CC-D6EF-4739-B654-3ECEF571C42D.jpeg
    073F06CC-D6EF-4739-B654-3ECEF571C42D.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 8
I once dated a guy who refused to even take a bite of any eggplant dish because, as he stated repeatedly, “I don’t eat purple food” and “Anything purple can’t possibly taste good”

Eggplant is one of my favorite foods so this was a problem.

He sealed the deal by refusing to sample my homemade cheesecake, he actually shuddered when he told me he couldn’t believe anyone would put cheese into cake.

I decided that we weren’t culinarily compatible, lol.

I once dated a guy who refused to even take a bite of any eggplant dish because, as he stated repeatedly, “I don’t eat purple food” and “Anything purple can’t possibly taste good”

Eggplant is one of my favorite foods so this was a problem.

He sealed the deal by refusing to sample my homemade cheesecake, he actually shuddered when he told me he couldn’t believe anyone would put cheese into cake.

I decided that we weren’t culinarily compatible, lol.
*considers all the purple stuff I love*

Wow, weird hard no, but ok, you do you, dude.

My mum has a weird squick about chocolate in bread. She likes chocolate. Eats ridiculous amounts. Likes bread. Gets grossed out by the idea of combining the two. She pulls a face whenever someone makes, like, a chocolate pull-apart bread on the Bake-Off. I have no idea why.

My mum has a weird squick about chocolate in bread. She likes chocolate. Eats ridiculous amounts. Likes bread. Gets grossed out by the idea of combining the two. She pulls a face whenever someone makes, like, a chocolate pull-apart bread on the Bake-Off. I have no idea why.
A friend gave us a loaf of chocolate babka--awesome!

As a child, I was very picky about food. For example, I wouldn't eat tapioca pudding because it looked like mouse eyeballs to me. I think the reason for that was I'd seen my cat eat a mouse, which I thought was disgusting.

Now I want pain au chocolat for breakfast!!

This reminded me of Peter Kay’s comedy routine…” garlic - BREAD?!” :p

One of my friends has an old family recipe called “chocolate gravy.” It is a delicious chocolate sauce, not too rich but has a great flavor. She makes it when we go on camping trips and serves it over her fresh, hot homemade biscuits for breakfast.

To illustrate the importance of eating a variety of fruits and vegetables, health professionals often advise you to “eat the rainbow.”

You probably know that you should eat colorful fruits and vegetables, but you may wonder why it’s so important and if doing so truly benefits your health.

This article reviews the concept of eating the rainbow, its benefits, and how to do it...

At Fresh Market, I wandered around thinking I’d find dessert, maybe a single serving. Didn’t find anything appealing. I did see Apple Cider cake donuts sprinkled with sugar. They were remotely interesting but I didn’t buy any.

I found some Crusty Italian bread, for the Black Olive Tampenade I bought in St Pete. The bread is delicious. The olive dip is bland. It needs more black Greek olives. I’m going to cut up some and stir them in.

In the prepared food case they had creamed spinach. I got a dish to try it. It’s almost as good as Boston Markets creamed spinach.

I bought 2 huge Idaho Baking potatoes. I’ll bake them in the oven. I won’t do a potato in the microwave after the last fiasco. It caught fire, ruined the microwave, cost a dang fortune to replace.

Anyway, I can only eat half of a potato at a time. I need to get more sour cream. I think I need an entire container at times. I have “a little enchilada with my sour cream” kinda thing going on. Ha!

Attachments

• DD771DF4-EA79-47A5-B3C5-291DABBBC388.jpeg
    DD771DF4-EA79-47A5-B3C5-291DABBBC388.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 13
Maybe I should have chickens…… Sarasota County allows you to have 4. I wonder how many eggs that would be a week? I know zero about birds. They’d help my garden, right? They can’t be any noisier than the planes overhead, right? I’m in the landing path for SRQ. People visiting my house think it’s annoying. I have to remind them this is what affordable housing looks like here. Then they shut up.

Eggs: +59.9% annually; +11.1% from November

Maybe I should have chickens…… Sarasota County allows you to have 4. I wonder how many eggs that would be a week? I know zero about birds. They’d help my garden, right? They can’t be any noisier than the planes overhead, right? I’m in the landing path for SRQ. People visiting my house think it’s annoying. I have to remind them this is what affordable housing looks like here. Then they shut up.

I have thought of it, but ultimately don’t want the responsibility. I worry too much about things like avian flu, I’d be an anxious chicken mum!

I think the set up costs (would need a v fox proof housing solution here) and any vet fees etc would probs outweigh the savings for me. But we only use around 6 eggs a week anyway.

Only keep fowl if you can handle the emotional stresses of them being taken by predators or just dying randomly for no reason. We've never kept birds, but our neighbour did. Our neighbour lived on a different property, the birds lived at their B&B business next door to us. It was... stressful, to say the least. Multiple incursions by foxes, some break and enter, some when they'd forget to put the geese and ducks away and we'd realise they were out still at ten at night when it was sleeting and trying to raise them on the phone when they'd had a couple of red wines while herding the survivours into their coops...

I'm sure others on here will have nontraumatic stories about keeping birds, and the fresh chicken, duck, and goose eggs were lovely, but it cemented for us that it would never be something we'd do ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberts1979