Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy new year to you all.

Mr HKP is working throughout so we are low key this year. I have beef brisket in the slow cooker with some wine, onions, garlic and parsley. I’ll roast some potatoes and parsnips to go with it. I did make a trifle as a little festive nod. He will be in bed early so I’ll be seeing the new year in with my best pal (the dog) and one of us will be having a glass or two of Sauvi blanc ;)
Happy New Year! Tell the dog to save some for you. ;)

I cleaned out all the leftovers today. There was a little of this and a little of that. We’re tired of turkey & sides.

The produce pick up had a lot of good stuff. Today we made roasted cauliflower & honeyed carrots. Two huge bins of spinach that I steamed down with salt, pepper, onion & garlic powders and a little butter. I still have an acorn squash, another bag of carrots, some apples, key limes, and 3 big bunches of bananas.

Tomorrow we are going to open a can or two of black eyed peas and make cornbread. Maybe some rice to go with the veggies too.

My youngest wants to make tortilla egg wraps and freeze them. A quick breakfast for her on the way to work.

I’m in the mood for chili but it’s nearly 80 degrees during the day. The jury is still out on that.

Happy New Year!

I have Covid (recovering well) and have mostly lost the ability to smell and taste. Tonight's dinner was very simple based on leftover beef stew. I added some vegetable soup, leftover lima beans, and beef stock, and we had it with sourdough bread. DH said it was good.

Not sure what we'll eat tomorrow. It doesn't much matter much to me what I eat!

I have Covid (recovering well) and have mostly lost the ability to smell and taste. Tonight's dinner was very simple based on leftover beef stew. I added some vegetable soup, leftover lima beans, and beef stock, and we had it with sourdough bread. DH said it was good.

When I had COVID in July, I also lost a bunch of my sense of taste (thankfully, it gradually returned). What I found was things like texture and temperature became more important to me, and helped me eat when I needed to. So, go for that crunchy celery stick or creamy custard. Eat that piping hot soup or cold frozen yoghurt. You should still be able to feel the burn from chilis, even if you can't taste them, because that's not about your sense of taste. Good luck.

So sorry to hear you have Covid but v glad you are on the mend.

I was saddened to learn that you had Covid. It was just a week or so ago that I laughed when you referred to yourself as a "Covid virgin" :D I hope you're feeling better and that your sense of smell and taste will return shortly. DH and I remain Covid virgins as we look forward to our cruise in 27 days. I have already set out procedural masks that we will definitely wear whenever we're in a crowded situation. Long before Covid we started packing travel packets of Clorox wipes and will be sure to get some soon. While staterooms are cleaned well prior to new passengers, we always clean the phone, remote, door handles, faucets, etc. prior to using them and repeat several times while we're onboard. We're not OCD - we just like to do whatever we can to stay healthy.

My brother is coming over to watch football today and will bring swordfish for grilling. He likes shrimp with cocktail sauce and pierogis with sour cream, so those are both on the menu. The mushroom barley soup is awesome, so he can have a bowl of soup or a salad, if he prefers. Steamed asparagus, too.

Whatever your plans, enjoy this first day of 2023. Happy New Year!

Well I’m not sure if we ate the right foods for prosperity in the new year or not. But it was very good!!!

We seasoned the canned black eyed peas, warmed up some ham that had been frozen, made GF cornbread, in addition to the spinach & carrots we made yesterday.

My youngest was able to pack 2 lunch dishes, minus the ham, but added roasted cauliflower. We still have leftovers to eat on too.

Attachments

• B78262BA-0068-49F0-8B46-25D28B5CCAC6.jpeg
    B78262BA-0068-49F0-8B46-25D28B5CCAC6.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 24
I make Hopping John every New Year's Day to get our luck on. Hoping that 2023 is the best year EVER for everyone here.
I made Hoppin' John last New Year's Day after it was mentioned on this thread. Maybe it was you :) I had never heard of the custom and read about it. I found an easy recipe, and we enjoyed the black-eyed peas dish. Forgot about it this year :oops:

Late on, but I didn't have the photos on my phone, so here it is - the lovely dinner cooked by our friend when we visited at Christmas. It's pork, cooked outside in a Weber kettle over coal, and I think the veg was cooked out there too, in little aluminium trays. She served it with a kind of warm green bean and asparagus dish that had cherry tomatoes, anchovies, and olives in it? I don't have a picture of that. And we had a lovely bottle of fizz with it. The crackling was amazing, and even I think so, I am not a crackling person.

pork.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member