Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I know a little about spices but almost nothing about herbs. I do have oregano, maybe I'll add a pinch to the last couple of servings.
Also, thyme goes well with carrots, so give that a go sometime. The reason I suggested basil is because that's our go-to replacement in a lot of things. All our tomato pasta sauces have rosemary, sage and basil rather than marjoram or oregano. Works for us!

DH and I both get horrible heartburn from oregano, so I rarely add it to anything. There's a lot of oregano in Little Caesar's pizza sauce, so we never get their pizza any more.

Last edited:
DETROIT – Buddy’s Pizza, a Metro Detroit staple best known for inventing the Detroit-style pizza, is now ranked among the 50 best pizza places on the planet.

Buddy’s has long been a favorite for locals who love Detroit-style pizza, but now, a company has officially named it one of the best pizzerias in the world.

Big 7 Travel did a ranking of the top 50 pizza places globally, and Buddy’s checked in at No. 25...

DETROIT – Buddy’s Pizza, a Metro Detroit staple best known for inventing the Detroit-style pizza, is now ranked among the 50 best pizza places on the planet.

Buddy’s has long been a favorite for locals who love Detroit-style pizza, but now, a company has officially named it one of the best pizzerias in the world.

Big 7 Travel did a ranking of the top 50 pizza places globally, and Buddy’s checked in at No. 25...
I just recently had Buddy’s for the first time, the Woodhaven location, when I was working in the area.

It was really good, loaded with Wisconsin brick cheese.

Pequod’s in Chicago is on the top 50 list this year too. I know it is a matter of opinion but Pequod’s isn’t my favorite Chicago pizza.

On the 2020 list an Indianapolis pizza place, Divola, made the list. That surprised me because in my opinion it isn’t even the best pizza in Indianapolis. It isn’t even the best pizza in the neighborhood.

I love pizza and I've tried it all... Thin crust, Deep Dish, New York style, Detroit style, etc.
My Midwest favorites are Lou Malnati's and Rocky Rocco's.

Lou Malnati's is real old time Chicago pizza known for it's deep dish, but their thin style is also very good. My favorite is their Deep Dish Sausage. Ordering tip. Make sure to order the Butter crust and ask to have the sausage broken up. Their Deep Dish Spinach pizza is also quite good (with butter crust!)

If your travels ever take you through Wisconsin, look for Rocky Rocco's. I would best describe it as Detroit style. It is really good.

Thanks for all of the seasoning tips on veggies, I have lots to try next year.

Sending Blessings to all for a very Healthy and Happy 2023!

Last edited:
I love pizza and I've tried it all... Thin crust, Deep Dish, New York style, Detroit style, etc.
My Midwest favorites are Lou Malnati's and Rocky Rocco's.

Lou Malnati's is real old time Chicago pizza known for it's deep dish, but their thin style is also very good. Ordering tip. My favorite is their Deep Dish Sausage. Make sure to order the Butter crust and ask to have the sausage broken up. Their Deep Dish Spinach pizza is also quite good (with butter crust!)

If your travels ever take you through Wisconsin, look for Rocky Rocco's. I would best describe it as Detroit style. It is really good.

Thanks for all of the seasoning tips on veggies, I have lots to try next year.

Sending Blessings to all for a very Healthy and Happy 2023!
Lou Malnati’s is my absolute favorite pizza, like you mentioned order the butter crust. The Malnati salad is excellent too, and their house-made dressings too especially the creamy lemon garlic.

Like you, I love pizza and have tried it all. I have seldom met a pizza I didn’t like. I suppose the only style I don’t care for is St. Louis pizza, not a fan of the provol cheese. Provol is a white processed cheese food product and doesn’t belong on pizza in my opinion. YMMV of course

Lou Malnati’s is my absolute favorite pizza, like you mentioned order the butter crust. The Malnati salad is excellent too, and their house-made dressings too especially the creamy lemon garlic.

Like you, I love pizza and have tried it all. I have seldom met a pizza I didn’t like. I suppose the only style I don’t care for is St. Louis pizza, not a fan of the provol cheese. Provol is a white processed cheese food product and doesn’t belong on pizza in my opinion. YMMV of course
Agree on their salads also! I especially like their house Ranch, I've realized they add a hint of horseradish which adds so much to the flavor.

Agree on their salads also! I especially like their house Ranch, I've realized they add a hint of horseradish which adds so much to the flavor.
Once I ordered a salad with creamy lemon garlic dressing, and the when the server brought my salad he apologized and said they had just run out of creamy lemon garlic.

I must have had a very disappointed expression because he said he’d be right back, and returned with two small carryout containers of dressing. He told me he took it from a large catering order, swapping it out with another dressing

The Detroit-Style Pizza legacy began at Buddy’s Rendezvous Pizzeria on Six Mile and Conant street on Detroit’s eastside when in 1946 Gus Guerra and Concetta “Connie” Piccinato made their first square-shaped pizza. Baked in forged-steel pans borrowed from local automotive plants, they were able to produce a very light and crispy crust which is now known as Detroit-Style Pizza. This was the first known square pizza in the U.S. and now, more than 75 years later, the pizza style has become a national favorite...

With all this talk about pizza, I was craving Lou Malnati’s so I brought it home for dinner last night.

A perfect deep dish butter crust pizza and a Malnati salad, creamy lemon garlic dressing and ranch.

Attachments

• E8EE9196-92D2-4960-9F6E-C7E7B93AECF7.jpeg
    E8EE9196-92D2-4960-9F6E-C7E7B93AECF7.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 18
With all this talk about pizza, I was craving Lou Malnati’s so I brought it home for dinner last night.

A perfect deep dish butter crust pizza and a Malnati salad, creamy lemon garlic dressing and ranch.
That salad looks amazing, but I'd pass on the deep-dish pizza with buttery crust. In the dozens of trips that I've made to Chicago, I don't recall ever hearing about Lou Malnati's. We tried Chicago-style deep dish pizza at Pizzeria Uno and didn't care for it. I don't particularly care for Buddy's pizza, but their antipasto salad is very good. I like Jet's pizzas - any style - and their salads are excellent. While we haven't been to Alibi in Troy recently, their pizza and salads are also top notch.

Last edited:
That salad looks amazing, but I'd pass on the deep-dish pizza with buttery crust. In the dozens of trips that I've made to Chicago, I don't recall ever hearing about Lou Malnati's. We tried Chicago-style deep dish pizza at Pizzeria Uno and didn't care for it. I don't particularly care for Buddy's pizza, but their antipasto salad is very good. I like Jet's pizzas - any style - and their salads are excellent. While we haven't been to Alibi in Troy recently, their pizza and salads are also top notch.
Pizzeria Uno was the first Chicago deep dish I had ever tried, and we waited in an hour-long line to even get in the door. Then we waited for service, waited for appetizer, and waited another hour for the pizza. Not a great experience.

But that was when we were visiting, we found better pizza after we moved there.

Interestingly, Rudy Malnati originally worked at Pizzeria Uno. He improved upon the deep dish pizza and his son Lou started Lou Malnati’s.

The “Big Three” of Chicago deep dish are Pizzeria Uno, Giordano’s, and Gino’s East. Gino’s East started when the founders hired another former Uno cook to create their pizza.

So both Gino’s East and Lou Malnati’s began with former employees of Pizzeria Uno. They took what they knew about deep dish pizza and improved it.

After we moved to Chicago we learned that the locals considered Uno, Gino’s East, and Giordano’s to be “tourist” pizzas. The locals patronized Lou Malnati’s.

I’ve been fortunate to receive “behind the scenes” invitations to the kitchens of both Lou Malnati’s and Giordano’s. I learned much about the history of Chicago pizza, and watched pizzas being made, baked, and served. Extremely interesting for a pizza aficionado like me.

I am certain this is more than anyone ever wanted to know about Chicago pizza, but I find the history fascinating.

Pizzeria Uno was the first Chicago deep dish I had ever tried, and we waited in an hour-long line to even get in the door. Then we waited for service, waited for appetizer, and waited another hour for the pizza. Not a great experience.

But that was when we were visiting, we found better pizza after we moved there.

Interestingly, Rudy Malnati originally worked at Pizzeria Uno. He improved upon the deep dish pizza and his son Lou started Lou Malnati’s.

The “Big Three” of Chicago deep dish are Pizzeria Uno, Giordano’s, and Gino’s East. Gino’s East started when the founders hired another former Uno cook to create their pizza.

So both Gino’s East and Lou Malnati’s began with former employees of Pizzeria Uno. They took what they knew about deep dish pizza and improved it.

After we moved to Chicago we learned that the locals considered Uno, Gino’s East, and Giordano’s to be “tourist” pizzas. The locals patronized Lou Malnati’s.

I’ve been fortunate to receive “behind the scenes” invitations to the kitchens of both Lou Malnati’s and Giordano’s. I learned much about the history of Chicago pizza, and watched pizzas being made, baked, and served. Extremely interesting for a pizza aficionado like me.

I am certain this is more than anyone ever wanted to know about Chicago pizza, but I find the history fascinating.
Love history as well. Thanks for sharing this.

Just to add one more classic Chicago pizza - Aurelios.

Last edited:
Love history as well. Thanks for sharing this.

Just to add one more classic Chicago pizza - Aurelios.
I like Aurelio’s too. Their spinach calabrese is my favorite thing on their menu.

So many great pizza places! My daughter used to say when she was little that she wished she had four stomachs like a cow :)

Happy New Year from the future! I'm in my pyjamas, watching the fireworks on tv.

EDIT: Mum has gone to bed, so partner and I are having a sneaky Berry flavoured Baileys and watching rage (music show) which is playing great tracks right now. Love to you all, wherever you are! *blows kiss*

Last edited:
After another grueling session of physical therapy on Thursday (during which time DH was swimming), we stopped at Nino's for this week's groceries and NYE treats. I always make mushroom barley soup during the holidays, so we got a small boneless rib roast that we enjoyed with baked potatoes and mushrooms that roasted in the meat drippings. I made a light gravy that was very flavorful. We each had a nice portion of roast beef, and there was enough for sandwiches yesterday. There is still plenty of meat left for the soup that we will make today with onion, carrots, mushrooms, and barley.

We bought a Panettone before Christmas and have been nibbling at it for a week. DH made French toast with the rest of it for breakfast this morning. Dee-lish! We will have shrimp with cocktail sauce, Brie with fig spread and pecans with toasted baguette, and liver pate with crackers tonight with Champagne. Bubbly tends to wipe us out, and we will probably go to bed long before the stroke of midnight :D

Best wishes for a safe and happy NYE celebration.

Last edited:
Happy new year to you all.

Mr HKP is working throughout so we are low key this year. I have beef brisket in the slow cooker with some wine, onions, garlic and parsley. I’ll roast some potatoes and parsnips to go with it. I did make a trifle as a little festive nod. He will be in bed early so I’ll be seeing the new year in with my best pal (the dog) and one of us will be having a glass or two of Sauvi blanc ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missinginfo541