Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s ok Anneg, I don’t dictate the content. I just can’t bear any form of animal suffering. I’ve unfollowed the thread now, its fine really.
Animal suffering is an anathema to me as well and NOT what I tolerate at any point any place. That said, once I saw the responses to the article, I refused to subject myself. I realize much evil is done to animals in the name of "food" but, as HongKongPhooey pointed out, that is not what I come to this thread for. God knows the people suffering on this site is hard enough. But please don't leave, Phooey, we love and need you here.

I currently have 14 hens, 1 rooster. Furthermore I have 5 drakes, 18 female ducks, 2 geese and 2 ganders. I spend roughly $225 per month on bird food. ~$75 on chicken and ~$150 on fancy waterfowl food. During the winter months I’m lucky to get 1 chicken egg a day from all of that. Furthermore we just moved to central TX where I was worried about predators much more than suburbs of Houston and spent roughly $15K on a coop and run that should be predator proof up to a bobcat in weight. My overnight coop is metal building on cement pad with spray foam insulation. There is only one door that is accessible to the pen, all other doors and windows are secured inside the pen. My birds are my pets so I make sure they are protected and taken care of well but all that money could have bought ALOT of eggs.

Attachments

• 53346AE0-7931-4A6E-A4A6-067157CAE742.jpeg
    53346AE0-7931-4A6E-A4A6-067157CAE742.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 9D8CE626-F4B0-4E83-8EB6-13DB142D161F.jpeg
    9D8CE626-F4B0-4E83-8EB6-13DB142D161F.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 19
  • 8D3A4C13-4413-45B8-BF1D-DB08AF2D4060.jpeg
    8D3A4C13-4413-45B8-BF1D-DB08AF2D4060.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 19
I’ve always wanted some chickens. However, at this point in my life, where I have the time to enjoy having some, I’ve come to realize that I don want or need anything else depending on me to feed them. DH’s cousin has several hens that are her pets. we care for them and gather eggs while they go out of town. That will have to be enough. They are fun to care for.

I currently have 14 hens, 1 rooster. Furthermore I have 5 drakes, 18 female ducks, 2 geese and 2 ganders. I spend roughly $225 per month on bird food. ~$75 on chicken and ~$150 on fancy waterfowl food. During the winter months I’m lucky to get 1 chicken egg a day from all of that. Furthermore we just moved to central TX where I was worried about predators much more than suburbs of Houston and spent roughly $15K on a coop and run that should be predator proof up to a bobcat in weight. My overnight coop is metal building on cement pad with spray foam insulation. There is only one door that is accessible to the pen, all other doors and windows are secured inside the pen. My birds are my pets so I make sure they are protected and taken care of well but all that money could have bought ALOT of eggs.

Thank you for sharing the pics. They put a smile on my face.
I love animals, also. I am unable to face anything sad/am sensitive when it comes to them.

I enjoy my friend’s chickens. No roosters are allowed (by the city mandate) and one of her baby chicks turned out to be a rooster. She didn’t know it if course until he was almost fully grown and she was devastated, knowing she had to get rid of him. But one of the nurses she worked with lives on a farm, and she is giving the rooster a good home.

I'd like to apologise to the thread. I didn't meant to upset anyone, and I certainly didn't mean to upset anyone so badly they'd leave. I went to bed and I've only just seen this. I strongly object to animal cruelty. Though I eat animal protein, all my eggs are organic, my meat is high welfare. My house is full of rescue pets nobody else wanted. Please don't believe I in any way think that a cruel relic of Tudor era excesses is the way anybody should be eating now. It really really isn't, and I hate that people are still doing it.

I'd like to apologise to the thread. I didn't meant to upset anyone, and I certainly didn't mean to upset anyone so badly they'd leave. I went to bed and I've only just seen this. I strongly object to animal cruelty. Though I eat animal protein, all my eggs are organic, my meat is high welfare. My house is full of rescue pets nobody else wanted. Please don't believe I in any way think that a cruel relic of Tudor era excesses is the way anybody should be eating now. It really really isn't, and I hate that people are still doing it.
It was nothing you said at all. I just don’t want to have to scroll past posts about animal cruelty when I come here for recipes, foodie pics and lighthearted chat, which has kept us upbeat through the pandemic. It’s more about me, and what I choose to avoid in real life and here, than about what anyone else wants to post.

Just wanted to clarify as I don’t want anyone to feel upset in any way.

My dinner tonight was bacon, a fried egg, boxed mac and cheese, and a raw mini corn cob. All the food groups. :D

What is everybody else eating tonight? Hopefully you're all doing better than me and had at least one leafy green in attendance.

My youngest took my vehicle (Honda Pilot) to Orlando for her vet conference. Her little "toaster" as we call it, Toyota Scion xB, is here in case I need wheels. Well, I forgot to get my driving glasses out of my vehicle before she left. Oh well.

My friend JK to the rescue! She wanted Patellini's Pizza downtown. I wasn't in the mood for pizza so I ordered Chicken Parmesan. It came with a garlic knot and spaghetti. I also had a small Cesar salad with it. It was good, fresh and very filling.

Even downtown it was very windy and cold to us. Usually we stroll for a bit but not last night. MLK weekend is typically our official winter. It is always cold in Jan. Not by anyone else's standards of course but to us Floridians.

Stay warm & well my foodie friends!

Last edited:
That is so cool to see. Quite an investment of your money and time too. Your birds are pampered and loved!

I have done some research into housing chickens but I agree with the others, there really isn't enough return for just eggs. Now the joy of raising birds is invaluable. But really not something I can handle on my own. I think it would be fun if my circumstances were different.

My dinner tonight was bacon, a fried egg, boxed mac and cheese, and a raw mini corn cob. All the food groups. :D

What is everybody else eating tonight? Hopefully you're all doing better than me and had at least one leafy green in attendance.
I have been craving baked potatoes but have been traveling for work this week and haven’t been home long enough to bake them.

So I ordered Texas Roadhouse, I love their baked potatoes. They bake them at a high temperature, and before baking they rub beef fat on the outside. The beef fat burns off while baking, and their potatoes are always perfectly baked and fluffy inside.

I have been craving baked potatoes but have been traveling for work this week and haven’t been home long enough to bake them.

So I ordered Texas Roadhouse, I love their baked potatoes. They bake them at a high temperature, and before baking they rub beef fat on the outside. The beef fat burns off while baking, and their potatoes are always perfectly baked and fluffy inside.
Nice! I had chips last night, by which I mean, I scrubbed a bunch of dirty potatoes just to get the dirt off, cut them into quarters or sixths according to size in wedge shapes, coated them in oil, stock powder, white pepper, smoky paprika, thyme and sage, and cooked them in the oven in a tray at 180C for about an hour and twenty minutes, then covered them in cheese, cooked them a few minutes longer, and ate them. :)

Not quite baked potatoes, but baked potatoes-adjacent. :D

(They're a sometimes-food, because it is literally potatoes and cheese. Delicious, delicious potatoes and cheese.)

Beef fat seems like it would cause flames! I have never heard of that before. I like them when they’re rolled in the big pieces of salt & baked. Not that I should be eating that much salt tho. I picked up 2 big ones to bake this week.

On a possibly more pleasant note, we are having Dungeness crab for dinner. DH grew up in Oregon and introduced me to this delicious type of crab. Time for me to go fix dinner!
When DH and I went to Alaska, we spent two pre-cruise nights in Seattle. The Marriott hotel where we stayed had a lavish breakfast buffet, but we prefer ordering from the menu. I had the same Dungeness crab omelet both mornings. It was so good! I like Maryland blue crab and soft-shell crab, but I don't care for Alaskan King crab legs which I had on the ship. Thank goodness there was delicious Alaskan salmon available :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liiinebecc