Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We usually have clam chowder (New England style!!) for Christmas Eve and it looks like there’s a ham in the fridge for Xmas day.
The clam chowder is kind of an ode to Feast of the Seven Fishes - Wikipedia
Some years we’ll have a pot of chili instead.

Also ended up getting this for the spouse’s Xmas gift - did not pay full price,it was like 22$ on sale. (Sized up to this 3 cup version )

Last edited:
we did our grocery shopping yesterday, and just got back from getting paper products at DG. Hopefully we won’t have to darken the door of any store until after Christmas.

christmas Eve we will go to candlelight service then return to vegetable beef soup and baked cornbread.
Christmas Day we will have bbq hash, a dish DH’s granny always made and DD who never met her requests each year. Sides will be rice and slaw with lots of baked goodies for dessert.

I haven't read back, but has Christmas dinner been discussed yet? What's on your menu?

We went away from the traditional turkey/ham/sides a few years ago. Just so much work and tons of leftovers that would be thrown out, so we switched it up.

This year, we're doing Broccoli Cheddar, Ham and Corn Chowder and Chicken Gnocchi. Plus fresh loaves of bread. Last year, we each made an appetizer and a dessert. Year before, we did a huge pot of Chili.

Christmas breakfast is coffee cake, muffins and fresh fruit. Something light and not a lot of time spent in the kitchen.
Recipe for Broccoli Cheddar, Ham and Corn Chowder PLEASE!!!

We don’t have a menu yet. I went to the food pick up this morning but most of the produce was too far gone. Lots of apples tho which we love. A butternut squash, limes, baby greens. Santa was there!

My uncle gave me two big salmon filets in Oct and vacuum sealed them. We may thaw & grill those Christmas Eve. We make white rice, black beans and sometimes peas, to go with it.

I’m going to Detwilers to see if there is a small ham. We rarely buy it but we’re in the mood for it.

Attachments

• IMG_2459.jpeg
    IMG_2459.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2460.jpeg
    IMG_2460.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2461.jpeg
    IMG_2461.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2455.jpeg
    IMG_2455.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2454.jpeg
    IMG_2454.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2457.jpeg
    IMG_2457.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 26
We've been doing homemade individual pizzas the last few years on Christmas Eve. Fun, easy, and good. Christmas brunch is quiche, fresh fruit with fruit dip, and toast made with good bread. And usually Mimosas. Then later on Christmas Day we do a beef tenderloin, baked potatoes, asparagus, rolls, deviled eggs, and pomegranate jello salad.

I have come to really love having some traditional meals for the holidays, although we often do introduce different items around the main, “every-year” foods. Our Christmas tradition for the main dish several years ago became “Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Shallot Sauce”, served with mashed potatoes to soak up the delicious sauce. Other parts of the meal vary, although I think another tradition is going to become Fig and Panettone Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce. It has to have been the best dessert I’ve ever had, and it seems very festive and “Christmassy”, so I think that’s going to be a set Christmas dessert going forward.

Something I’ve always wanted to do and never have is a Bouche de Noel. That would be another good idea for the traditional, every-year Christmas dinner menu. I’m going to try to start that tradition this year!

I have come to really love having some traditional meals for the holidays, although we often do introduce different items around the main, “every-year” foods. Our Christmas tradition for the main dish several years ago became “Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Shallot Sauce”, served with mashed potatoes to soak up the delicious sauce. Other parts of the meal vary, although I think another tradition is going to become Fig and Panettone Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce. It has to have been the best dessert I’ve ever had, and it seems very festive and “Christmassy”, so I think that’s going to be a set Christmas dessert going forward.

Something I’ve always wanted to do and never have is a Bouche de Noel. That would be another good idea for the traditional, every-year Christmas dinner menu. I’m going to try to start that tradition this year!I think we all might need the recipe for the best dessert you',ve ever had. I'm intruged and I love bread pudding.

Last edited:
155etta: Cats! What is it about cats and keyboards? It would be one thing if they ever got down to actual business and did something constructive- wrote the thank-you notes, did the taxes, etc. Um, no. They just walk all over it (us) lie on it, stand in front of the screen…..

Come to think about it, this makes me miss my own keyboard-walking friend, long in the grave now. Perhaps it’s finally time to find another one to break my heart…

I shall find the bread pudding recipe this evening and put it here. I made it up myself, as we were starting the evening with Figtinis, and I thought it would be a great way to tie everything together- starting and finishing on a “figgy” note. It was also a good way to use some of the panettone largesse on hand.

The basic principle is that I infused the milk/cream with dried figs and used panettone instead of regular bread or brioche. It turned out really well, with a complexity and depth of flavor that even our “bread pudding expert” raved over.

Recipe incoming…

155etta: Cats! What is it about cats and keyboards? It would be one thing if they ever got down to actual business and did something constructive- wrote the thank-you notes, did the taxes, etc. Um, no. They just walk all over it (us) lie on it, stand in front of the screen…..

Come to think about it, this makes me miss my own keyboard-walking friend, long in the grave now. Perhaps it’s finally time to find another one to break my heart…

I shall find the bread pudding recipe this evening and put it here. I made it up myself, as we were starting the evening with Figtinis, and I thought it would be a great way to tie everything together- starting and finishing on a “figgy” note. It was also a good way to use some of the panettone largesse on hand.

The basic principle is that I infused the milk/cream with dried figs and used panettone instead of regular bread or brioche. It turned out really well, with a complexity and depth of flavor that even our “bread pudding expert” raved over.

Recipe incoming…
Cats! Mine is right next to me, staring and saying "meow". He loves typing! It's always RRRrrrRR tho, don't know what that means.

My gran used to make that pudding! I have memories of her lighting it and the flame on the plate would be blue from the sauce :)

For Christmas eve I'm doing chicken pot pie with broccoli and dinner rolls on the side. Nothing special for breakfast, just eggs with buttered toast, orange juice and coffee. Probably just a light soup or ramen for lunch.

I'm making a charcuterie board with veggies, hummus dip and other bits on the side to munch on while making dinner.

We are doing a simple, traditional Christmas dinner for two. Turkey breast, garlic mashed potatoes, roasted root vegetables (turnip, squash, carrot, red onion), roasted smashed brussels, dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce. Served with chardonnay, of course!

Pumpkin pie with whipped cream, mini cheesecakes for dessert. Along with eggnog or Irish coffee ;)

I'm going to add wild garlic to the mashed potatoes, rosemary to the root vegetables, cracked pepper and cheddar to the smashed brussels. Oh and butter on everything! Maybe a splash of white wine in the turkey gravy for fun :D

I'd also like to make cranberry and turkey biscuits with the left overs! Put some cheddar in there too.

If there are enough veggies left, I might mix them all together and put them into a pie crust for a little veggie and potato pie. Again, put some cheddar and butter in there too!

I was looking for this German "cut rock candy", it's like Murano or Millefiori fruit candy with patterns. You can melt them down into a disc and make edible ornaments that look like stained glass! It's so good and such nostalgia.

Here is a video of how they make the candy:
Primrose Cut Rock Candy

I should give credit where it is due. The cookbook where I got this recipe was a joint venture by Hudson's, Dayton's, and Marshall Field's Department Stores in 1995. The collection of customers' recipes was illustrated by children's author/illustrator Tomie DePaola who visited various stores to sign purchased copies of the book. I no longer have my signed copy of the cookbook but made several recipes from it. I am frequently asked for the Potatoes Dauphin recipe because it is always popular.

I love and collect local/regional cookbooks. No one ever submits a recipe (with their name on it) that isn't their premier recipe. I have found so many great recipes that way. I have them from all over the US.

I recently looked through my vast collection and realized I had a very old local cookbook from Plaines, GA. There was an entire chapter devoted to recipes from the Carter Family. There was even a recipe from Rosalynn Carter's grandmother.

My favorite recipes are still those of my mom's and grandmother's. They tend to be simple recipes with long cooking times and few spices. My parent's were children raised during the Depression. The recipes typically called for tough cuts of meat cooked for hours. They are great recipes though I do try to reduce the fat content and salt. They used a lot of salt during those days, it was a economical way to enhance flavor. Clearly they didn't link salt and high blood pressure back then.

Christmas Eve is spent with family, but Christmas Day is spent at home. As a kid, I attended events at many relative's homes' all dressed up from early Christmas Eve to midnight Christmas day, spending little hours of sleep and many driving hours.

As an adult, I've made a rule. Christmas Day will be spent at our home, no driving. Dress code is sweats and jammies.

We open gifts that morning, make omelets and Bloody Marys'. Then after our afternoon nap I throw a Stouffer's Lasagna in the oven, make a salad and garlic bread and we watch a Christmas Movie or two. It is such great relaxing time spent with my family.

Wishing you all a great Holiday Season!

Last edited:
I finally got a stove so I can cook Christmas dinner. We are doing prime rib, scalloped potatoes, asparagus and fresh rolls. Just the 3 of us so nothing too crazy. I’ve made 2 different batches of no bake cookies that are in freezer and I’ll make some millionaire’s short bread. Husband wants a pumpkin pie. Stepson is coming up later in the week so we’ll do something more extravagant then. Christmas Eve we do football food. Wings, queso, jalapeno poppers, it’s sort of a tradition at this point.

Nino's was busy yesterday, but not crazy-busy like it will be today and tomorrow. The only wait might have been at the deli counter, but we opted for some pre-sliced Swiss cheese instead of Lorraine Swiss so we could avoid standing in line. Got everything we needed for the holiday weekend. We're going out on Christmas Eve (after the Lion's game) and will have ham, Potatoes Dauphin, and asparagus on Christmas Day.

We always get a Panettone for the holidays. I've made Panettone Bread Pudding, and we also enjoy Panettone French Toast. The Italian fruit bread is also wonderful on its own - rich and buttery with little pieces of dried fruits that look like jewels. Buon Natale! Panettone Bread Pudding with Amaretto Sauce

Some of you mentioned salmon patties earlier in the week. I've never made them myself, but we have had salmon cakes from Nino's seafood counter. Haven't had them for a while but got them for dinner last night. The salmon cakes didn't have the usual "Old Bay" kick, but they were delicious on a bed of baby spinach with Remoulade.

I know that many of you have cats, but we are not "cat" people. Our housekeeper feeds stray cats and got bit on Tuesday morning before she was to come here for our bi-monthly cleaning. She said that the bite didn't pierce skin, but she canceled her clients in case she had to get a rabies shot. She is fine and will come to clean this afternoon.

If you are traveling over the holiday weekend, please be safe.

Last edited:
Recipe:
Fig & Panettone Bread Pudding with Hard Sauce​
Ingredients
  • 2 ¼ cups milk
  • 2 T butter, plus more for greasing pan
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • Pinch salt
  • 5 – 6 cups cubed panettone –day old
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup dried figs, roughly chopped
Directions
  • In a small saucepan, add figs, sugar, and milk and set over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, then turn off heat. Add vanilla. Let steep until cool. Strain milk of figs. Set figs aside for use in another dish.
  • Melt butter on stove over low heat. Remove and set to cool (but not harden again).
  • Butter a 4 – 6 cup baking dish and fill it with the cubed panettone.
  • Add melted butter and eggs to cooled infused milk mixture and whisk. Pour over panettone, making sure that the all the cubes of panettone are covered in milk.
  • Let panettone and milk sit for 20 minutes.
  • Heat oven to 350°.
  • Bake for 30 – 45 minutes or until custard is set, but still a little wobbly and edges of panettone have browned.
  • Serve warm or at room temperature with Hard Sauce.
Hard Sauce
½ cup butter, softened
  • 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
  • 2 T brandy
  • ½ tsp. vanilla extract
Beat butter with a mixer until pale and fluffy (several minutes).
  • Add sugar and continue to beat until smooth. Avoid over-beating; otherwise, the brandy butter will become oily.
  • Add brandy one tablespoon at a time, beating between additions, along with vanilla. Beat until just combined.
  • Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving, preferably overnight for maximum flavor.
  • Remove from fridge at least two hours before serving, allowing it to come to room temp.

I haven't read back, but has Christmas dinner been discussed yet? What's on your menu?

We went away from the traditional turkey/ham/sides a few years ago. Just so much work and tons of leftovers that would be thrown out, so we switched it up.

This year, we're doing Broccoli Cheddar, Ham and Corn Chowder and Chicken Gnocchi. Plus fresh loaves of bread. Last year, we each made an appetizer and a dessert. Year before, we did a huge pot of Chili.

Christmas breakfast is coffee cake, muffins and fresh fruit. Something light and not a lot of time spent in the kitchen.
We were planning to do grilled steaks with baked potatoes and Caesar salad, with miniature crab cake appetizers.
But unfortunately I just tested positive for Covid. So though delayed, we will hopefully be doing that over New Years weekend instead.

My DH and I still have to do something for Christmas , I mean, we have to eat, lol. Maybe something like appetizers for Xmas Eve. And thinking of maybe shrimp gumbo Christmas Day . I really don’t know as I don’t have a lot of appetite. :(

Last edited:
We were planning to do grilled steaks with baked potatoes and Caesar salad, with miniature crab cake appetizers.
But unfortunately I just tested positive for Covid. So though delayed, we will hopefully be doing that over New Years weekend instead.

My DH and I still have to do something for Christmas , I mean, we have to eat, lol. Maybe something like appetizers for Xmas Eve. And thinking of maybe shrimp gumbo Christmas Day . I really don’t know as I don’t have a lot of appetite. :(
Sorry to hear that you have Covid. Steaks with baked potatoes and salad sounds perfect for NYE. That's probably what we'll do unless we decide on Prime Rib. I love making Mushroom Barley soup with leftover roast beef. When DH was still working, we sometimes got the company hockey tickets for NYE, but now that he's retired, we just stay home.

Appetizers sound lovely for Christmas Eve while watching holiday movies. I'm sure you make wonderful shrimp gumbo that will be perfect for Christmas. I hope your symptoms aren't too bad and that you recover quickly. Be well.

Last edited:
For the day before Christmas eve, I wanted easy, so decided on a salad bar. Box of spring mix washed, cut tomatoes, grated carrots, purple onion, diced celery, chopped hard boiled eggs, red beans, shredded cheese. Put 2 chicken breasts in the instant pot, when done chopped into chunks. All the ingredients are in prep containers. I can prep a little, go rest, rinse and repeat. Can fill the plate according to likes. , I do the same thing to make taco bars meals.
It is the labor intensive meals that wear me out diminish my joy of cooking.

Salmon Dinner was delicious!! Perfect weather today too. It is supposed to rain all day tomorrow and the cold front is expected next weekend.

The crockpots with green beans and Lima Beans are done and cooling off. The GF Chocolate Cream pie is done. Tomorrow we will roast the rest of the veggies.

Merry Christmas Eve!

Attachments

• IMG_2486.jpeg
    IMG_2486.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2488.jpeg
    IMG_2488.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2489.jpeg
    IMG_2489.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2485.jpeg