Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have toasted them before but most times I just use them raw.

When I toast them I just stir in a skillet over low heat. I think the secret is to stir continuously, use low heat and watch them carefully. It doesn’t take very long to toast them.
This is how I toast other nuts, but I've never tried toasting pine nuts because they are so small and delicate. I'd be afraid of burning them and having to toss them because, as you noted above, they are pricey. I use your method when toasting other nuts and don't have a problem with burning them. I have also put nuts on a dry baking sheet in a 300* oven for about five to seven minutes or until they begin to emit their fragrance. Remove from oven, give them a stir, and allow to cool. There is some residual toasting while the nuts cool on the baking sheet.

Last edited:
I have toasted them before but most times I just use them raw.

When I toast them I just stir in a skillet over low heat. I think the secret is to stir continuously, use low heat and watch them carefully. It doesn’t take very long to toast them.
Yes, you have to stir them throughout the process. They're like onions that way, if you look away for a minute they'll burn but if you stand and watch them, time becomes irrelevant lol.

@BetteDavisEyes I'd prefer to toast the pine nuts in a pan on the stovetop. The oven seems too risky IMO :p

@Curious Me I had forgotten where the little bananas came from. They were not what I expected, I was hoping for a much sweeter fruit but it tasted nothing like that. They must be used for certain dishes or some other purpose aside from a "regular" banana.

I'm getting the sense that bananas are similar to a potato or an apple. Some varieties are meant for baking, some are grown for chips and fries etc.

Y'all, I am going to be on a tear for the next few days with quesadillas and hot dogs. We've got tons of franks in the freezer, summer's here, and they're going to be consumed, LOL. Gonna do reg Chicago style hot dogs, maybe some Coneys, if anyone has any cool hot dog recipes, let me know because we've got a lotta hot dogs here, lol.

On the quesadillas, I usually just do the Chihuahua cheese, that's it. Chicken sometimes. Lettuce & sour cream on the side. But I have some pickled banana pepper rings, I was wondering if maybe I should try something with those. Hmm, I've still got some country style pork chops, I could maybe spice those up and use those in there somehow. If anyone has any cool quesadillas ideas, lemme know!

Y'all, I am going to be on a tear for the next few days with quesadillas and hot dogs. We've got tons of franks in the freezer, summer's here, and they're going to be consumed, LOL. Gonna do reg Chicago style hot dogs, maybe some Coneys, if anyone has any cool hot dog recipes, let me know because we've got a lotta hot dogs here, lol.

On the quesadillas, I usually just do the Chihuahua cheese, that's it. Chicken sometimes. Lettuce & sour cream on the side. But I have some pickled banana pepper rings, I was wondering if maybe I should try something with those. Hmm, I've still got some country style pork chops, I could maybe spice those up and use those in there somehow. If anyone has any cool quesadillas ideas, lemme know!
How about hot dog quesadillas? :D

I was thinking you could wrap a hotdog in the corn tortilla, fry it or even bake it, and it’s a corn dog!

An easy hot dog recipe I make:

Use a medium sized pan with a lid. Fill it half full with either beer or vegetable broth.

Heat the liquid until it just starts to boil then turn off the heat. Place the hot dogs (regular or veggie hot dogs) in the hot liquid, and cover with lid. The hot dogs will absorb the beer or broth and will plump up.

Next, mix up a batch of your favorite corn bread. Pour the raw batter into a greased baking dish. Drain the hot dogs and push them down into the raw batter.

Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top. Then bake according to the corn bread recipe.

Cut into squares and serve with any toppings that you like: diced onions, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, mustards, etc. I like to set out different types of mustard because we all like different mustard varieties.

You can use Jiffy corn bread mix if you don’t want to make it from scratch. Sometimes I stir shredded cheese or sour cream into the cornbread batter.

I’m

Banana pepper relish? Maybe put some pineapple in there and add it to the porkchops? Sort of a Hawaiian kind of "fusion". Or deep fried peppers as a hot dog topping. I think that would be really good.

*eta: I misunderstood the assignment... you wanted quesadilla ideas lol!

I was put off by this at first, I have a hard time picturing a hot dog in anything but a bun. But now, I think I'm gonna try it! Gonna wrap a dog in a flour tortilla (don't think I have corn). Shallow deep fry. Bring it out, top with chihuahua cheese and the banana peppers. Put in oven, get it all melty melty. Maybe sour cream, I'm outta sour cream and gonna have to run to the store for that, BUT do have some reserve green salsa, and that'll work.
Banana pepper relish? Maybe put some pineapple in there and add it to the porkchops? Sort of a Hawaiian kind of "fusion". Or deep fried peppers as a hot dog topping. I think that would be really good.

*eta: I misunderstood the assignment... you wanted quesadilla ideas lol!
Gonna try this, too, LOL.

I was put off by this at first, I have a hard time picturing a hot dog in anything but a bun. But now, I think I'm gonna try it! Gonna wrap a dog in a flour tortilla (don't think I have corn). Shallow deep fry. Bring it out, top with chihuahua cheese and the banana peppers. Put in oven, get it all melty melty. Maybe sour cream, I'm outta sour cream and gonna have to run to the store for that, BUT do have some reserve green salsa, and that'll work.

Gonna try this, too, LOL.
I've had tofu dogs in a tortilla wrap many times!

Here's how I like them: Grilled or pan fried (I put a slit in them first), spread a bit of salsa verde on the wrap, then some cheese. Add the hot dog (more cheese, obvs). Then some corn salsa! Roll it up, put in back into the pan or on the grill for a minute or two. I like this with jalapeno tabasco sauce and sour cream. You could even add some cheese into the pan first and melt it down before you put the tortilla wrap back into the pan but this is very unhealthy!

It’s a thing down here! We call it “Salchitaco”. Slice every frank in thirds. Then sliced corn tortilla wrapped around each, then fried. Kids love SalchitacosView attachment 507937
I was thinking that would be a perfect for gluten free hotdogs. My youngest buys the gluten free, vegetarian hotdogs. We will sometimes grill those for her.

It’s a thing down here! We call it “Salchitaco”. Slice every frank in thirds. Then sliced corn tortilla wrapped around each, then fried. Kids love SalchitacosView attachment 507937
That looks amazing!

Reminds me of a recipe thing I saw on TT. It was tortilla wraps rolled and cut into slices. Put into a muffin pan and then scrambled eggs poured into the muffin cups. They added cheese, peppers, onion etc. Could add some hot dogs in there like a sort of tortilla "quiche".

17 Year Cicada Report
They are driving me mad, much worse than they were 17 years ago. Their high pitch is so bad it hurts my ears. Lawn mowers don't even compare to their sound.
Today they have tested me to my limits. They have gotten down into our fireplace. We have glass fireplace doors so they can't get in, however the noise sounds like they are right here in our family room. I'm not opening those doors, so I guess I will have to wait until they die in there.
Now on the bright side, I'm making lemonade out of lemons. Apparently, there are a lot of good vitamins and minerals in Cicada carcasses, so I am taking advantage of that. I have added many Cicada carcasses to the soil in all of my potted plants this year. I'll let you all know how that works!

17 Year Cicada Report
They are driving me mad, much worse than they were 17 years ago. Their high pitch is so bad it hurts my ears. Lawn mowers don't even compare to their sound.
Today they have tested me to my limits. They have gotten down into our fireplace. We have glass fireplace doors so they can't get in, however the noise sounds like they are right here in our family room. I'm not opening those doors, so I guess I will have to wait until they die in there.
Now on the bright side, I'm making lemonade out of lemons. Apparently, there are a lot of good vitamins and minerals in Cicada carcasses, so I am taking advantage of that. I have added many Cicada carcasses to the soil in all of my potted plants this year. I'll let you all know how that works!
I'm in SWFL and I don't know if we should expect them here or not. However, I have read that I can add dead ones to my compost pile because "their potassium- and nitrogen-rich exoskeletons can improve organic matter."

Our food allergies make me very cautious. I never use any type of ivy like plant, any mushroom based debris, or plants we're allergic to.

My compost corner was a train wreck until this past weekend. I started building it a frame, then lined up the old wheelbarrow and spinning compost bin. If I get cicadas, I'll actually have an area to turn the soil to reduce the smell to aid in decomposition. I promise I won't bury any bodies! Ha!

Attachments

• IMG_4907.jpeg
    IMG_4907.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4908.jpeg
    IMG_4908.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4909.jpeg
    IMG_4909.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4912.jpeg
    IMG_4912.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4919.jpeg
    IMG_4919.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 10
I'm in SWFL and I don't know if we should expect them here or not. However, I have read that I can add dead ones to my compost pile because "their potassium- and nitrogen-rich exoskeletons can improve organic matter."

Our food allergies make me very cautious. I never use any type of ivy like plant, any mushroom based debris, or plants we're allergic to.

My compost corner was a train wreck until this past weekend. I started building it a frame, then lined up the old wheelbarrow and spinning compost bin. If I get cicadas, I'll actually have an area to turn the soil to reduce the smell to aid in decomposition. I promise I won't bury any bodies! Ha!

Omg I shouldn't have laughed so hard at the last part (rbbm) ;)

My grandparents used to have a compost bin and a large freezer. Back then, the local paper kept publishing stories of cold cases and unsolved murders around the county. That's when I became a detective LOL! For some reason I suspected my grandparents bc they went to a butcher outside town, they had a smelly compost bin and I thought they were hiding something in the freezer :rolleyes:

I've read that there is an increase in cicada populations this summer. Noise cancelling ear buds, head phones, AC, a fan... In the fireplace sounds like a nightmare, sorry!

17 Year Cicada Report
So we had the Brood X Cicadas in 2021. I actually participated in the research and mapping of the Brood X research, and thought they were fascinating. Just the fact that the eggs hatch, then the hatched nymphs burrow underground, to emerge in 17 years.

I took videos when the cicadas were out in full force and sent them to friends who lived in other areas so they could experience how incredibly loud they were.

My friends who raise chickens said that the chickens loved eating the cicada carcasses.

Attachments

• IMG_2676.jpeg
    IMG_2676.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 4
I made those hot dogs wrapped in flour tortillas, pretty yummy!

I see that cicada right above there. I see the chickens eat them. I'm adventurous, but not that adventurous. I know consumption of cicadas has to be a "thing" somewhere, but-- not here, lol. There's something about discussing food with a picture of a fat, predatorial cicada just above that creeps me out, LOL.

Once I found a wing and thought it was from something else. Pretty sure a bird caught a cicada, ate it and left its wing on the porch :confused:

A few years back we had an influx of grasshoppers. There were SO MANY, it got really weird at one point like "The Birds" but grasshoppers lol. They became invasive and would cling to the window screens and get their little feet caught. Drove the cat nuts :D

Last edited:
So we had the Brood X Cicadas in 2021. I actually participated in the research and mapping of the Brood X research, and thought they were fascinating. Just the fact that the eggs hatch, then the hatched nymphs burrow underground, to emerge in 17 years.

I took videos when the cicadas were out in full force and sent them to friends who lived in other areas so they could experience how incredibly loud they were.

My friends who raise chickens said that the chickens loved eating the cicada carcasses.
What is interesting to me is that Cicada's are picky and choosy about the trees they choose to lay their eggs under. They have absolutely no interest in our Locust, White Oak or 4 Ginkgo Trees.
But, they are losing their minds around the trunks of our Pin Oak and Beech Tree. All trees in our yard are at least 60-80 years old.

Three emergence's ago, my California cousins were here for a reunion. At the time they were all big high school football players. They screamed in terror when they saw the Cicadas. This was the first time they had been to the Midwest, what a welcome the Cicadas gave them!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inquiring_Mind78
Back