Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Y'all, I am going to be on a tear for the next few days with quesadillas and hot dogs. We've got tons of franks in the freezer, summer's here, and they're going to be consumed, LOL. Gonna do reg Chicago style hot dogs, maybe some Coneys, if anyone has any cool hot dog recipes, let me know because we've got a lotta hot dogs here, lol.

On the quesadillas, I usually just do the Chihuahua cheese, that's it. Chicken sometimes. Lettuce & sour cream on the side. But I have some pickled banana pepper rings, I was wondering if maybe I should try something with those. Hmm, I've still got some country style pork chops, I could maybe spice those up and use those in there somehow. If anyone has any cool quesadillas ideas, lemme know!
Hot dog recipes from my youth. As a Japanese-American, these were things that were commonly eaten!

Satojoyu Weenies (kinda like teriyaki sliced hot dogs, over rice)

Weenie Royale (onions, soy sauce, eggs, sliced hot dogs, over rice)

I hadn’t made a breakfast skillet in a long time. I hadn’t eaten one of the big baked potatoes yet. I cubed it, fried it with minced garlic, butter, salt & pepper. Added cheese on top and set it aside.

Made scrambled eggs with powdered garlic, salt & pepper. Sprinkled cheese on top and let that melt. I am out of spinach and forgot to use tomatoes.

I put the eggs on top of the potatoes. I cooked my bacon separate. Kiddo came by to start laundry and took a plate to go. Still have enough for tomorrow too.

I made the second box of brownies the other day. I used a 10” x 10” pan this time. It was better than the 11” x 7” pan. I noticed the box is 16 oz now.

Attachments

• IMG_4932.jpeg
    IMG_4932.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4933.jpeg
    IMG_4933.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4929.jpeg
    IMG_4929.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 14
So we had the Brood X Cicadas in 2021. I actually participated in the research and mapping of the Brood X research, and thought they were fascinating. Just the fact that the eggs hatch, then the hatched nymphs burrow underground, to emerge in 17 years.

I took videos when the cicadas were out in full force and sent them to friends who lived in other areas so they could experience how incredibly loud they were.

My friends who raise chickens said that the chickens loved eating the cicada carcasses.
Unlikely that they would hatch after so long.

Burning eucaliptus leaves may help to smoke them out.

I guess I'm not a 17 point exotic Foodie, but it was fun to learn about these dishes. :) I knew about Huitlacoche, but never got to try it.

Spatula Desserts US
You Are A Real Foodie If You Know These 17 Exotic Dishes

Those exotic foods above had some unappetizing ones. These might be more appealing.

14 Exotic Dishes Every Foodie Should Try
Provided by Lifestyle Trends

Exploring exotic dishes can be a thrilling adventure for your taste buds, offering a peek into the culinary traditions and cultures of far-off places. For food enthusiasts looking to expand their gastronomic horizons, here are 14 exotic dishes from around the world that promise an unforgettable eating experience. From spicy treats to unique flavors, this...

Those exotic foods above had some unappetizing ones. These might be more appealing.

14 Exotic Dishes Every Foodie Should Try
Provided by Lifestyle Trends

Exploring exotic dishes can be a thrilling adventure for your taste buds, offering a peek into the culinary traditions and cultures of far-off places. For food enthusiasts looking to expand their gastronomic horizons, here are 14 exotic dishes from around the world that promise an unforgettable eating experience. From spicy treats to unique flavors, this...
I’ve only tried a few things on the list: sushi, kimchi, and baklava.

Our favorite way to eat hot dogs is to split them lengthwise and fry them in a frying pan until they are crispy. I like them with fried eggs or will put them on a bun sometimes. Oven baked ranch quesadillas are a staple here. Shred some chicken, add some grated cheese and mix in enough ranch dressing to bind it all together. Put a generous amount on half a flour tortilla, spread it out and fold in half. Bake on parchment paper at 375 until they start to brown, about 15ish minutes.

I had a difficult time just looking at the first list but have tried several foods on the list of 14. I've had sushi but don't really care for raw fish/seafood. I've had ceviche a few times while traveling in Mexico, escargot on cruise ships (not a fan), and Peking duck in a Chinese restaurant we used to go to in Royal Oak, MI. I had tagine at the Moroccan restaurant at WDW and haggis when we visited Scotland. I'm not really into sweets but would consider baklava one of my favorite desserts. I don't like fermented foods and would probably never eat kimchi.

We hadn't been out to eat for almost three weeks and went to Picano's (Troy, MI) last night. The menu is extensive, but I usually order one of the nightly specials. Last night I got lake perch with luxurious lemon-butter sauce, capers, and chopped tomatoes. Such a simple dish but absolutely delicious. Tonight we're having orange roughy with salad.

Nino Salvaggio's Brownie recipe (just received email for weekend specials)

Fabulous Chocolate Brownies! Makes a 9” x 13” Pan or About 24 – 2” x 2” Brownies​

2 Sticks Melted Butter
½ cup Light Brown Sugar, Packed
1 ½ cups Granulated Sugar
4 Eggs, Beaten
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
¾ Cup Dark Cocoa
1 TBSP Pure Vanilla Extract
½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Sea Salt
1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 Cup Toasted Slivered Almond or Walnuts

1) Beat together melted butter and both sugars with paddle attachment on medium speed 3 minutes.
2) Add 1/2 of the eggs and beat on medium speed 2 minutes
3) Add last half of eggs and beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
4) Add flour, cocoa, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Mix on low speed 2 minutes, scrape down, and mix again 1 minute.
5) Add chocolate chips and nuts and mix on low speed 30 seconds.
6) Grease and flour a 9” x 13” casserole dish.
7) Pour batter into pan and level evenly edge to edge with a spatula.
8) Bake at 350 F for approximately 25 minutes.
9) Cool and cut.

Nino Salvaggio's Brownie recipe (just received email for weekend specials)

Fabulous Chocolate Brownies! Makes a 9” x 13” Pan or About 24 – 2” x 2” Brownies​

2 Sticks Melted Butter
½ cup Light Brown Sugar, Packed
1 ½ cups Granulated Sugar
4 Eggs, Beaten
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
¾ Cup Dark Cocoa
1 TBSP Pure Vanilla Extract
½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Sea Salt
1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 Cup Toasted Slivered Almond or Walnuts

1) Beat together melted butter and both sugars with paddle attachment on medium speed 3 minutes.
2) Add 1/2 of the eggs and beat on medium speed 2 minutes
3) Add last half of eggs and beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
4) Add flour, cocoa, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Mix on low speed 2 minutes, scrape down, and mix again 1 minute.
5) Add chocolate chips and nuts and mix on low speed 30 seconds.
6) Grease and flour a 9” x 13” casserole dish.
7) Pour batter into pan and level evenly edge to edge with a spatula.
8) Bake at 350 F for approximately 25 minutes.
9) Cool and cut.
Great timing! I am making brownies this weekend and would love a new recipe to try.

I have several favorite brownie recipes that I use, depending if we want fudgy brownies, cake-like brownies, coffee flavored brownies, etc.

We have this new place in town called Maple Street Biscuit Co. I had to have a tire fixed first thing this morning and it is nearby. So I decided I'd check it out.

I found the menu confusing. I even asked for help and it made no sense. I finally looked at the guy and said, just give me a chicken biscuit to go. It took 20+ minutes and then they didn't have any mustard. What restaurant doesn't have mustard???

It's like they're trying to be "trendy" when it's perfectly fine to call breakfast, well, breakfast. Anyway, I wanted to compare their chicken biscuit with Chik-fil-A's chicken biscuit.

I'm not sure what kind of biscuit it was but it was not at all what I was expecting. I did not like the breading on the chicken. It was definitely bigger (both biscuit & chicken) than Chik-fil-A's but not near as good. If and when I can get a grip on the menu, I'll try something else.

Attachments

• IMG_4940.jpeg
    IMG_4940.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 14
Easier scroll down format. This article may be right up your alley if you live or are from the Midwest. I'm not, and so I wonder if these foods really are that popular in the Midwest.

Cheese Curds- super popular in Wisconsin
Chicago Deep Dish pizza- yes very popular
Ravioli Puffs - I have seen them at a few restaurants, not many
Beer Brats with Kraut - popular
Raspberry Custard Kuchen - never heard of it
Kansas Style Ribs - popular in Kansas
State Fair subs - often called hoagies or grinders, or just subs - popular. Never heard them called “State Fair”
Michigan cherry pie- very popular in Michigan
Coney hot dogs - popular throughout the Midwest
Polish pierogi - popular in Chicago and Detroit
Grilled corn on the cob- popular
Sugar cream pie- popular in Indiana, it is the state pie of Indiana
Walking Tacos - very popular especially at fairs, festivals, sporting events.
Hot Dishes of all sorts are popular in Minnesota
Cincinnati style chili is very popular in Ohio but not in other states
Giardiania - popular at Midwest sandwich shops especially in Chicago area
Custard- incredibly popular in Wisconsin
Bloody Mary with lots of garnishes are popular especially in Wisconsin
Chocolaty Chips - not very popular as far as I know
Breaded tenderloin- super popular in Indiana

Buckeyes - extremely popular in Ohio. The first recipe every Ohio girl learns to make

Our favorite way to eat hot dogs is to split them lengthwise and fry them in a frying pan until they are crispy. I like them with fried eggs or will put them on a bun sometimes. Oven baked ranch quesadillas are a staple here. Shred some chicken, add some grated cheese and mix in enough ranch dressing to bind it all together. Put a generous amount on half a flour tortilla, spread it out and fold in half. Bake on parchment paper at 375 until they start to brown, about 15ish minutes.
I have fond childhood memories of KD Mac and cheese with fried hotdogs! As a "grown up" it was more sophisticated, white cheddar mac and cheese with bacon. No wonder I have hypertension :rolleyes:

...Polish pierogi - popular in Chicago and Detroit...
Thanks for the heads up great list, @IceIce9. I just got home from Grocery Outlet, and want to go over your list more in a minute. I keep spending more there everytime I go. They have a great cheese selection, and lots of new things to try out.

Got a lovely looking Lemon Meringue Pie for only $3.99. Oh, I got a box of frozen Potato Pea Samosas (like an empanada) just to try them.

This thing happens to me all the time. If something stands out once, it will come to me again usually within the same day. So, when I posted that article, I noticed pierogis on the list. I thought to myself that I never had a homemade one, and only once frozen ones. Sure enough, I saw a bag of frozen Pierogis for only $1.99 so I bought some. Do you eat them with some kind of sauce?

Buckeyes - extremely popular in Ohio. The first recipe every Ohio girl learns to make
Really? Wow. I've never even heard of them.
m01102.gif
What's something (one food) you would miss if you moved away and couldn't find that food elsewhere? Brought up in upstate NYS, and moved to SoCal many, many years ago. Still miss the Italian foods of my childhood unique to that area. I think there's a lot of exciting foods in that Midwest food list.

Really? Wow. I've never even heard of them.
m01102.gif
What's something (one food) you would miss if you moved away and couldn't find that food elsewhere? Brought up in upstate NYS, and moved to SoCal many, many years ago. Still miss the Italian foods of my childhood unique to that area. I think there's a lot of exciting foods in that Midwest food list.

Attachments

• IMG_6166.jpeg
    IMG_6166.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 5
Ohio is known as the Buckeye State and Buckeye candy resembles the nuts on the Buckeye tree.

The nut parts looks somewhat familiar, but I didn't know that tree by name or that it's your state's nickname. Interesting. I got curious as you can see. :) Getting hungry now. I just made both from scratch Cornbread Muffins today, and Mac & Cheese yesterday, for my Chili dinner tonight.

1717811825350.png1717811581094.png1717811540640.png1717811485251.png

1717812318407.png Oooh! I know these! I thought they were chestnuts as a kid, long ago now. lol Not sure if they were or not.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back