Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

Deep fried Raviolis are very good, a St. Louis thing.

You have not lived until you have eaten real Wisconsin brats, cooked in a slow crock pot with beer and sauerkraut. If adventurous, add some brown spicy mustard.

You have not lived until you've had a Danish Kringle Pastry from the O & H Bakery in Racine, Wisconsin.

You have not lived until you have had Hot Giardiniera on an Italian Beef sandwich in Chicago.

In Chicago, Vienna Beef and Gonnella Bread are the Gold Standards. Gonnella Bread only supplies it's daily fresh breads to Deli's and Restaurants.

Bloody Mary's are an art form in Wisconsin. The Garnishes are over the top. At least a bit of beef jerky, cheese, kosher pickles and olives. Many times the garnishes overwhelm the actual drink..in a good way. Now if you want to be cool and act like a local, you will know to order your beer chaser at the same time you order the Bloody. Ask for one of the tap beers - they will come in a 2 -3 oz. shot glass.

Poutine is not mentioned in the article. It is basically french fries covered in a rich gravy, quite good.

The most glaring omission is fried cheese curds.

Oh, enjoy all!

ETA - I really want to try Breaded pork tenderloin, where are the best places?
My dad always cooked brats and hot dogs in beer. He always bought the “good” hotdogs made out of 100% beef or a combination of beef and pork, not the hot dogs that contained fillers and by products.

Then we would eat them with sauerkraut and mustard.

I cook my veggie dogs in beer, gives them great flavor.

You gotta use the caraway seeds on schnitzel!! To me, it's not even schnitzel w/o the caraway, but moo.
Australian schnitzel is its own thing, I think, which is why I specified. Just about every country seems to have their own version, some have many!

Most of the ones I've eaten have been chicken, usually from a butterflied breast hammered flat and breadcrumbed.

I was just about to ask what a hotdish was! But I know what a casserole is.
I've made this hotdish recipe several times. It has a lot of ingredients, and I can't have much due to the dairy overload, but it is delicious.

I guess I'm not a 17 point exotic Foodie, but it was fun to learn about these dishes. :) I knew about Huitlacoche, but never got to try it.

Spatula Desserts US
You Are A Real Foodie If You Know These 17 Exotic Dishes

I've had pupusas and liked them. Not particularly interested in any of the other ones!

Anyone know where I might find a good spicy chili oil? The type I am looking for specifically is called "chili oil crisp" in a jar. Cannot find it online or elsewhere (unless I pay $22 on Amazon and pay some kind of import fee ) :confused:

I know there are recipes for making this at home and it's fairly straightforward but I am lazy and don't want to search for a recipe and collect all the spices etc... I just want to eat spicy things!

Anyone know where I might find a good spicy chili oil? The type I am looking for specifically is called "chili oil crisp" in a jar. Cannot find it online or elsewhere (unless I pay $22 on Amazon and pay some kind of import fee ) :confused:

I know there are recipes for making this at home and it's fairly straightforward but I am lazy and don't want to search for a recipe and collect all the spices etc... I just want to eat spicy things!
We love Lao Gan Ma Hot Chilli Oil, but I don't know if that's available wherever you are.

We use this crunchy chili oil from Trader Joe’s. You can also find it on Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_6185.jpeg
    IMG_6185.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 2
We love Lao Gan Ma Hot Chilli Oil, but I don't know if that's available wherever you are.
That's the one on Amazon for $22 It's sold out locally :( We only have 2 or 3 Asian grocery shops where I live.

The place where I once used to get my favorite pad thai kept a massive jar of chili oil on the counter. It was probably not sanitary but wow, the chili would've killed anything it touched :D I miss that place lol.

1717977934797.png1717977788145.png1717977807776.png

It's readily available in my SoCal area. It's very popular. It does have a little MSG in it. They sell it in lots of stores around here, not just Asian. I got it first at my Ralph's regular grocery store. They were selling it at the 99 cent Only Stores that are closing out now. Cost about $3.79 - $4.79 here. Walmart sells a similar one, generic brand, for cheaper.

1717977859166.png I have the one with peanuts. I like it, but I like the Huy Fong Garlic Chili Sauce better. I'm not out to try the hottest chilis around or anything like that. I've been making a lot of Thai noodle dishes and have a spoonful on the side.

1717978197189.png They're the products that were in shortage and may have another shortage of supply. A tiny bit on the side of Perogies with Sour Cream might work for me.

That's the one on Amazon for $22 It's sold out locally :( We only have 2 or 3 Asian grocery shops where I live.

The place where I once used to get my favorite pad thai kept a massive jar of chili oil on the counter. It was probably not sanitary but wow, the chili would've killed anything it touched :D I miss that place lol.
Lao Gan Ma does at least three or four different varieties, the crispy is different from the hot. All the ones we've tried are nice, but we tends to go for the hot because it doesn't have gluten and it has Szechuan pepper in it, which we like.

We use this crunchy chili oil from Trader Joe’s. You can also find it on Amazon.
Ahh, good old Amazon! This is just like the grits problem I've had. Is this similar to the chili oil with garlic, the one with the hot oil and spices? I'm just wondering bc some of them look almost like jam in pictures. I also don't want the Thai kind, the one that's similar to the sweet and sour sauce, you know? Sigh...

Ahh, good old Amazon! This is just like the grits problem I've had. Is this similar to the chili oil with garlic, the one with the hot oil and spices? I'm just wondering bc some of them look almost like jam in pictures. I also don't want the Thai kind, the one that's similar to the sweet and sour sauce, you know? Sigh...
The Lao Gan Ma ones are very much an oil with chili flakes floating in it, not a jam consistency.

Lao Gan Ma does at least three or four different varieties, the crispy is different from the hot. All the ones we've tried are nice, but we tends to go for the hot because it doesn't have gluten and it has Szechuan pepper in it, which we like.
Good to know, thank you!!

Second post, also good to know :) I see they're not a jam whatsoever but I mean they have less oil and more "stuff". I'm not very sharp today, forgive me lol.

I don't mind a few bits of chili flakes or some seeds, some minced onion/garlic but the MSG is a drawback... I've seen it in a lot of recipes too. Maybe I will have to get over it and make my own. I am certainly not paying an import fee for chili oil...!

I want to add that the Lao Gan Ma ones in the oil have hard chili flakes. It's not sweet or like jam, but the chili flakes are hard to chew. There is a small amount of MSG in it.

Huy Fong Products don't have MSG. The one I like in the middle does have chili seeds, but the chili flakes seem much softer.

1717979287446.png

Just so you know about these products. Last year the shortage drove up prices if you could find it. Supply came back, but is threatened.
This was from last year:
Prices of Sriracha sauce are as high as $70 on eBay as people look to snap up the spicy sauce — and they’re even steeper on Amazon, up to $124.
This is this year in May 2024:

Last edited:
This one is definitely the consistency of oil. Hot and spicy too.

This one is definitely the consistency of oil. Hot and spicy too.
Ooh ok, this sounds promising :D I can't believe it's not the kind of thing that just lives on the shelf next to the iced coffee and avocados, seriously! The grocery stores don't know our impulse purchases at all... smh.

I want to add that the Lao Gan Ma ones in the oil have hard chili flakes. It's not sweet or like jam, but the chili flakes are hard to chew. There is a small amount of MSG in it.

Huy Fong Products don't have MSG. The one I like in the middle does have chili seeds, but the chili flakes seem much softer.

View attachment 509061

Just so you know about these products. Last year the shortage drove up prices if you could find it. Supply came back, but is threatened.
This was from last year:
Prices of Sriracha sauce are as high as $70 on eBay as people look to snap up the spicy sauce — and they’re even steeper on Amazon, up to $124.
This is this year in May 2024:
California Company Underwood Farms were once the sole providers of Chilies to Huy Fong for their Sriracha Sauce.

The two companies got into a ugly price dispute in 2019. Lawsuits were filed.

As I understand it, Underwood has now decided to to produce and distribute their unique Sriracha Sauce under their own label, Underwood Ranches
JMO

California Company Underwood Farms were once the sole providers of Chilies to Huy Fong for their Sriracha Sauce.

The two companies got into a ugly price dispute in 2019. Lawsuits were filed.
As I understand it, Underwood has now decided to to produce and distribute their unique Sriracha Sauce under their own label, Underwood Ranches
JMO
Thanks. It's good to know. Right under that article was another one of interest. These here are the Chili Wars Times we're living in.
m0136.gif

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohthatmakessense