Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Agreed. Some things cannot be "duped"! Lea & Perrins, HP Sauce and Kikkoman can't be replaced imo. Also Montreal steak spice. These are as necessary as salt and pepper!
I'm embarrassed to say this, but I've never done the Montreal spice mix (flush of shame, lol). I've got a lot of spices and I might be able to make my own version. Is it that good??

Actually, ok, I really can probably make my own, I've got all these/source...
Here’s what you’ll need to make this seasoning:

• 2 Tablespoons whole peppercorns
  • 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
  • 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons whole coriander seed
  • 2 teaspoons whole mustard seed
  • 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
  • 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

Trader Joe’s has some unique spices that we really like.

Their Fiery Honey Mustard isn’t really “fiery” but has a nice flavor. I add it to my macaroni and cheese recipe, broccoli rice casserole, scrambled eggs and many other things.

California Onion Powder is a little sweeter and has a better flavor than other onion powders I have tried. It’s great in mashed potatoes, sprinkled on baked potatoes, hash browns, etc.

Green Goddess seasoning is good sprinkled on salads, and in dips and dressing. Likewise the Ranch seasoning.

Hatch Chili Flakes are excellent for chili, tacos, fajitas, and casseroles. I like them in breakfast casseroles.

Ketchup Sprinkles and Everything But the Elote and other favorites.

Once I was shopping at Trader Joe’s and another shopper came along and began filling her cart with spice jars, taking literally every single jar of some varieties of the spices off the shelf. Completely filling her cart with spice jars. She was blocking the space in front of the spices so I said, “Excuse me” and picked up one jar of a spice I wanted, which happened to be one of the varieties she was filling her cart with. She gave me a not-so-friendly look so I grabbed my one jar of spice and left the area.

I wondered why she needed so many spices and mentioned to a friend who told me people sell Trader Joe’s products on eBay and Amazon at a huge profit, to people who live in areas where there are no TJ’s locations.

Not to get off the pasta thingy, but just a quick note on the sharp cheddar (which I love, and know many others on here do, too). Made little sausage muffins today and used sharp instead of mild cheddar. The sharp cheddar stands up way, way better to the sausages than the mild. From now on, I'm only doing sharp cheddar w/sausages because it really makes a difference.

Back to pasta, lol. There's nothing like a nice pasta salad in summertime!! They're so easy to make in a pinch. Just do some cavatappi and drench it in salad dressing. Sometimes I actually make the salad dressing, sometimes add all kinds of elaborate veg and/or nut surprises, maybe egg, cheese, too. If you can get the cavatappi, it's great for pasta salads because there's so much surface for the sauce to grab onto.
I'm going to make pasta salad today. I've been making the same pasta salad for decades - found the recipe in a magazine in the early '70s when I was a newlywed. I've never cared for mayonnaise-based salads of any kind (cole slaw, potato or macaroni salads) and was happy to find a pasta salad recipe that had an oil/vinegar-based dressing. The original recipe had scallions that I omit - not a fan of raw onion in most instances. My pasta salad includes fresh blanched broccoli florets, grape tomatoes, chickpeas, black olives, marinated artichoke hearts (with liquid), salt, freshly ground black pepper, Italian seasoning, and a bottle of Italian dressing or a simple homemade vinaigrette. I like farfalle (bow tie) or penne pasta for this salad, but you can use whatever pasta you like. When we have pasta salad as a main course like tonight's dinner, I add cubed deli salami and Provolone cheese.

Last edited:
I'm going to make pasta salad today. I've been making the same pasta salad for decades and found the recipe from a magazine in the early '70s when I was a newlywed. I've never cared for mayonnaise-based salads of any kind (cole slaw, potato or macaroni salads) and was happy to find a pasta salad recipe that had an oil/vinegar-based dressing. The original recipe had scallions that I omit - not a fan of raw onion in most instances. My pasta salad includes fresh blanched broccoli florets, grape tomatoes, chickpeas, black olives, marinated artichoke hearts (with liquid), salt, freshly ground black pepper, Italian seasoning, and a bottle of Italian dressing or a simple homemade vinaigrette. I like farfalle (bow tie) or penne pasta for this salad, but you can use whatever pasta you like. When we have pasta salad as a main course like tonight's dinner, I add cubed deli salami and Provolone cheese.
That sounds good, minus the cold pasta. I’ve never developed a taste for cold pasta. I don’t eat anything mayo based either. I don’t like raw onions but I’ll eat them cooked.

I’m assembling my corn beef meal. I think I may have added too much onion. The corn beef, peppercorns and 1/2 a large onion are in the crockpot. Once that’s done, I’ll drain the liquid and put it in a big pot. Then I can add my veggies to cook. This is so much, I may have to freeze some of the meat if it doesn’t cook down enough.

Lucy’s last day here is tomorrow. Her pawrent, Jen will take her back to the northwest, FL panhandle that is. It’s not really much cooler there actually. She sure has had fun, running in and out like a toddler. Following me all over the yard while I garden. Sniffing every hole and weed I dig up. It’s back to apartment life & walks.

Attachments

• IMG_5262.jpeg
    IMG_5262.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5263.jpeg
    IMG_5263.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 11
That sounds good, minus the cold pasta. I’ve never developed a taste for cold pasta. I don’t eat anything mayo based either. I don’t like raw onions but I’ll eat them cooked.

I’m assembling my corn beef meal. I think I may have added too much onion. The corn beef, peppercorns and 1/2 a large onion are in the crockpot. Once that’s done, I’ll drain the liquid and put it in a big pot. Then I can add my veggies to cook. This is so much, I may have to freeze some of the meat if it doesn’t cook down enough.

Lucy’s last day here is tomorrow. Her pawrent, Jen will take her back to the northwest, FL panhandle that is. It’s not really much cooler there actually. She sure has had fun, running in and out like a toddler. Following me all over the yard while I garden. Sniffing every hole and weed I dig up. It’s back to apartment life & walks.
Lucy will miss your yard!

Wow! My dinner was delicious! I don’t think I’d ever used red potatoes before. But they definitely add to the dish.

It wasn’t too much onion either. It doesn’t taste too salty but I will drink extra water. I have to ensure I flush out any fluid retention. I have a lot of leftovers for the week.

Attachments

• IMG_5269.jpeg
    IMG_5269.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 6
Trader Joe’s has some unique spices that we really like.

Their Fiery Honey Mustard isn’t really “fiery” but has a nice flavor. I add it to my macaroni and cheese recipe, broccoli rice casserole, scrambled eggs and many other things.

California Onion Powder is a little sweeter and has a better flavor than other onion powders I have tried. It’s great in mashed potatoes, sprinkled on baked potatoes, hash browns, etc.

Green Goddess seasoning is good sprinkled on salads, and in dips and dressing. Likewise the Ranch seasoning.

Hatch Chili Flakes are excellent for chili, tacos, fajitas, and casseroles. I like them in breakfast casseroles.

Ketchup Sprinkles and Everything But the Elote and other favorites.

Once I was shopping at Trader Joe’s and another shopper came along and began filling her cart with spice jars, taking literally every single jar of some varieties of the spices off the shelf. Completely filling her cart with spice jars. She was blocking the space in front of the spices so I said, “Excuse me” and picked up one jar of a spice I wanted, which happened to be one of the varieties she was filling her cart with. She gave me a not-so-friendly look so I grabbed my one jar of spice and left the area.

I wondered why she needed so many spices and mentioned to a friend who told me people sell Trader Joe’s products on eBay and Amazon at a huge profit, to people who live in areas where there are no TJ’s locations.
When the sriracha shortage was raging, bottles were going on eBay for astronomically high prices.

Never again!! Please, lol.

I'm going to make pasta salad today. I've been making the same pasta salad for decades - found the recipe in a magazine in the early '70s when I was a newlywed. I've never cared for mayonnaise-based salads of any kind (cole slaw, potato or macaroni salads) and was happy to find a pasta salad recipe that had an oil/vinegar-based dressing. The original recipe had scallions that I omit - not a fan of raw onion in most instances. My pasta salad includes fresh blanched broccoli florets, grape tomatoes, chickpeas, black olives, marinated artichoke hearts (with liquid), salt, freshly ground black pepper, Italian seasoning, and a bottle of Italian dressing or a simple homemade vinaigrette. I like farfalle (bow tie) or penne pasta for this salad, but you can use whatever pasta you like. When we have pasta salad as a main course like tonight's dinner, I add cubed deli salami and Provolone cheese.

That sounds really good.

Your mention of Provolone reminded me of this recipe, which I have tried a few times and which we both really enjoyed. I have struggled to find Provolone locally but other sliced cheeses work well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meadams14
Back