Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It definitely felt like fall this morning, it was 48 degrees when I let my dog out a little before 7 am.

I am so jealous! I am South Central New Mexico, in the foothills of the Lincoln National Forest. It's beautiful, but the Summers are absolutely brutal. It's basically been between 97 and 101 degrees with a fair amount of humidity for several weeks. I am a cooler to cold weather lover. The fall just cannot get here soon enough.

Hi Everyone! :) I thought I'd let you know how I like the new frozen foods I mentioned to you that I got at Grocery Outlet a month ago. I got that big bag of frozen Potato and Cheese Perogies. I've mainly boiled them, and then tried them with different sauces. I like them in a Chicken Broth Soup with Pot Stickers and the Perogies, and a dipping sauce on the side.View attachment 525914

Lately, I've made perogies in my air fryer, makes them crispy but usually, I'll boil and melt butter on them with salt and pepper and just eat that way.

Lately, I've made perogies in my air fryer, makes them crispy but usually, I'll boil and melt butter on them with salt and pepper and just eat that way.

I boil and then put Encona West Indian hot pepper sauce on them. Kind of a fusion idea that works for me. Occasionally have them topped with fried mushrooms, so a bit less fusion.

We don't have pierogis during the summer but love them during the fall and winter. We like them sauteed in a little butter and olive oil, seasoned with salt, pepper, and paprika. Serve with sour cream. Yum!

We don't have pierogis during the summer but love them during the fall and winter. We like them sauteed in a little butter and olive oil, seasoned with salt, pepper, and paprika. Serve with sour cream. Yum!
Cold pierogies can be quite good! I like them with a side of cottage cheese and cucumber/tomato.

This was one of my first of frozen Pierogis, and this is only my take on the ones I bought frozen. Please don't take offense if this is a fond childhood memory food for you. Giving my first impressions as a new food for me.

MOO, they're filled much more compact and densely compressed than I expected. Are yours? Even boiling them, they seem harder filled. Not at all like a fluffy homemade Ravioli like my Mother used to make. Not at all like the softer Pot Stickers-- I've been eating them together in a Chicken Broth Soup with a dipping sauce on the side.

I should try sautéed with more salt and pepper on them maybe. I don't know if your Pierogis are stuffed with something more tasty, but the potato & cheese ones are a little bland. To me, I think they beg for some zesty side condiment. I was enjoying some types of side hot sauces with them until I realized I had to avoid spicy foods. I like Pierogis though and would buy them again.

Spring and summer were both "early" this year. Trees, plants, shrubs bloomed 2-3 weeks earlier than usual as evidenced by earlier-than-usual spring allergies. Michigan produce generally isn't available until early August, but we were already seeing Michigan "fall" vegetables in late July. Michigan corn and tomatoes were available earlier than usual, as well. We bought cherries several times in July but haven't had them lately. Michigan peaches are in season now and are delicious. We had some grilled last night with pork chops and corn. Haven't seen Michigan "honey rock" melons yet, but the cantaloupe we've had has been wonderful.

The cooler temperatures this week suggest that we are heading into fall earlier this year just as spring/summer arrived earlier than usual. We've been opening a few windows daily, and it was too cold overnight to leave our bedroom window open. We actually needed the comforter! Summer is my least favorite time of year, so I'm happy that it is coming to an end. I love fall and, here in Michigan, we are truly blessed with the beauty and bounty of the season.
I believe you are correct: plants, shrubs and fruit (like cherries), bloomed earlier this year. I was surprised to get fresh cherries in mid to end of May. My hubby and I love cantaloupe, but for the life of me, we have a terrible time finding sweet cantaloupe. In the past couple months we found a couple of sweet ones, then the last couple we actually threw away: It is just hit and miss no matter where we purchase cantaloupe. Love cantaloupe with whipped cream! Fall is nice but I don't like to see the leaves falling off the trees: the change of color of course is lovely, but then the leaves fall off the trees and naked trees are not very attractive LOL. Hoping to get back to Florida this winter, after not going there for the past two years!

This was one of my first of frozen Pierogis, and this is only my take on the ones I bought frozen. Please don't take offense if this is a fond childhood memory food for you. Giving my first impressions as a new food for me.

MOO, they're filled much more compact and densely compressed than I expected. Are yours? Even boiling them, they seem harder filled. Not at all like a fluffy homemade Ravioli like my Mother used to make. Not at all like the softer Pot Stickers-- I've been eating them together in a Chicken Broth Soup with a dipping sauce on the side.

I should try sautéed with more salt and pepper on them maybe. I don't know if your Pierogis are stuffed with something more tasty, but the potato & cheese ones are a little bland. To me, I think they beg for some zesty side condiment. I was enjoying some types of side hot sauces with them until I realized I had to avoid spicy foods. I like Pierogis though and would buy them again.

I use garlic powder on mine when I fry them. Sometimes other seasonings, it just depends. The perogi dough is not the same as a ravioli or dumpling so that's probably why you might find them a bit tough.

If you want more flavor I'd cook some bacon or onions and sausage in the pan and then fry the perogis in the drippings.

Spring and summer were both "early" this year. Trees, plants, shrubs bloomed 2-3 weeks earlier than usual as evidenced by earlier-than-usual spring allergies. Michigan produce generally isn't available until early August, but we were already seeing Michigan "fall" vegetables in late July. Michigan corn and tomatoes were available earlier than usual, as well. We bought cherries several times in July but haven't had them lately. Michigan peaches are in season now and are delicious. We had some grilled last night with pork chops and corn. Haven't seen Michigan "honey rock" melons yet, but the cantaloupe we've had has been wonderful.

The cooler temperatures this week suggest that we are heading into fall earlier this year just as spring/summer arrived earlier than usual. We've been opening a few windows daily, and it was too cold overnight to leave our bedroom window open. We actually needed the comforter! Summer is my least favorite time of year, so I'm happy that it is coming to an end. I love fall and, here in Michigan, we are truly blessed with the beauty and bounty of the season.
3 cool days here but word is that summer is coming back and fall will be hot so keep your fingers near the AC on switch I think and do not put away your light clothing yet

3 cool days here but word is that summer is coming back and fall will be hot so keep your fingers near the AC on switch I think and do not put away your light clothing yet
Here in Michigan I think we have learned to expect anything--- It will be nice to have summer back for a short time anyway-- we are lucky here in Michigan though, we had a really nice summer- unlike so many states around the country where there was extreme weather.

Last edited:
Here in Michigan I think we have learned to expect anything--- It will be nice to have summer back for a short time anyway-- we are lucky here in Michigan though, we had a really nice summer- unlike so many states around the country where there was extreme weather.
Mother Nature did her share with ample rain, so we didn't have to run sprinklers as often as usual :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kat1970
Back