Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
After having Covid, food is beginning to be appealing again. Breakfast was whole milk, a peach and a banana. Mid day meal was a bacon cheeseburger and coleslaw. I might have a little milk before bedtime..... which is coming up soon. I'm tired.

What The Helicopter is this crap? Why not just buy a loaf and call it a day? :rolleyes:
I wasnt aware that you contracted Covid---do you know how you got it?
Did you have a mild or severe case? I am so sorry you got that evil condition
Sounds like you are on your way to a full recovery
Please take care of yourself

I wasnt aware that you contracted Covid---do you know how you got it?
Did you have a mild or severe case? I am so sorry you got that evil condition
Sounds like you are on your way to a full recovery
Please take care of yourself
Maybe Publix. I always wipe the cart handle so was shocked when I started getting ill. It started with a dry cough on a Sunday, kinda like my allergies were acting up. (2 Sundays ago)

Monday I woke up with a slight sore throat. By the time I went to bed I figured it had to be Covid. Only because I was on my last day of 750mg of antibiotics. Tuesday morning I tested positive. Not sure if it was mild, but chaos ensued due to cancer treatment.

Post in thread 'Travis' Sidebar Friends #87'
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/travis-sidebar-friends-87.722771/post-19069305

My mom made succotash with frozen lima beans, fresh corn, green peppers, and tomatoes from my dad's garden. She cooked the veggies in bacon drippings, so there was bacon in the succotash, as well. I'm making succotash today to go with slow-roasted baby back ribs with homemade barbecue sauce. I will render a few slices of thick-sliced bacon then cook lima beans, corn, red onion, and grape tomatoes in the drippings. I have half a bag of baby spinach that I'll add, and I toss the succotash with fresh basil before serving.
Though I am not a succotash fan, I am a firm believer that anything is both delicious and edible with bacon added!

My first attempt at growing sweet potatoes. They repair your soil, allegedly. Not that my soil was broken. Just thought I’d try. I do not like them. My oldest does and my friends do. The corn was a bust.

The avocado seeds are sprouting roots. You’re supposed to put 3 seeds per pot.

The fall color sunflowers are coming up.

Attachments

• IMG_5949.jpeg
    IMG_5949.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5948.jpeg
    IMG_5948.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5941.jpeg
    IMG_5941.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 15
Maybe Publix. I always wipe the cart handle so was shocked when I started getting ill.
There are still some situations where I try to minimize touching public door handles etc, and use hand sanitizer afterwards, but overall remember that covid is airborne.

If you go unmasked indoors anywhere someone with covid has been in the last several hours/day, especially if you're inside for more than just a few minutes, and ESPECIALLY if it's somewhere where people are shouting/singing/breathing hard (ie dancing etc), you're much more likely to get it by breathing it in than by touching something.

I don't know if this helps but it seems to me like it might -- I gargle with a spoonful of hydrogen peroxide any time I think I've been even potentially exposed. Checked with my doctor to confirm it at least doesn't hurt.

I'm so sorry to read it got you and especially because of the complexities of the cancer treatment. Hope you have no lasting effects from it.

Maybe Publix. I always wipe the cart handle so was shocked when I started getting ill. It started with a dry cough on a Sunday, kinda like my allergies were acting up. (2 Sundays ago)

Monday I woke up with a slight sore throat. By the time I went to bed I figured it had to be Covid. Only because I was on my last day of 750mg of antibiotics. Tuesday morning I tested positive. Not sure if it was mild, but chaos ensued due to cancer treatment.

Post in thread 'Travis' Sidebar Friends #87'
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/travis-sidebar-friends-87.722771/post-19069305
Sorry to hear that. I always wipe my cart handles too but since many people think that COVID is over some of the stores no longer have cart wipes available. I always keep hand sanitizer with me though.

I see so many people coughing or sneezing into their hands, or touching their face or nose, and then put their hands on the cart handle that I always wipe them.

I rarely ever go inside a Walmart but had to pick up a few things for work at Walmart last week. So many people were coughing and sneezing that I quickly grabbed what I needed and got out in record time.

One of my friends wears disposable gloves to grocery store.

We're having California BLTs for dinner tonight. It's not the healthiest of foods, but bacon does make everything better.
Ooh…what’s a California BLT? Is it a BLT with avocado?
I call that a BLTA. Yummy
yum.gif

Sorry to hear that. I always wipe my cart handles too but since many people think that COVID is over some of the stores no longer have cart wipes available. I always keep hand sanitizer with me though.

I see so many people coughing or sneezing into their hands, or touching their face or nose, and then put their hands on the cart handle that I always wipe them.

I rarely ever go inside a Walmart but had to pick up a few things for work at Walmart last week. So many people were coughing and sneezing that I quickly grabbed what I needed and got out in record time.

One of my friends wears disposable gloves to grocery store.
I admit to not wearing a mask these days but when we go to the grocery store there are not many people there. Since the pandemic I have learned to never ever touch my face unless I have washed my hands- On occasion I have had my nose running ( I will spare you the rest); as uncomfortable as it was, I didn't touch my nose until I used hand sanitizer. When I leave the grocery store, or any store for that matter I immediately use a liberal amount of hand sanitizer.
I hadn't thought of wearing disposble gloves to the grocery store, but that is a pretty good idea.

I have always been a germphobe. I don’t do anything any different post pandemic than I did prepandemic. I never touch my face when out in public until I can wash my hands. As soon as I get home I immediately wash my hands. If we go out to eat, I wash my hands after touching the menu to order my food. I always avoid sick people. If I am out and about I never eat without first washing my hands. These common sense precautions have, and continue to serve me well.

Once in a while you just have to go for what tastes really good regardless whether or not it is healthy!
Enjoy!
We don't keep bacon in the house and only get a few slices of thick-sliced Amish bacon at the meat counter on occasion. Got six slices last week; used two for the succotash and had four for the BLTs. Same thing with red meat. We don't keep red meat in the house and only buy it when one of us gets a craving. If we want burgers, we'll buy 3/4# ground round. If I want to make Bolognese or meat sauce, we'll get 1.5# of ground round. When we want steak, we will share a small Porterhouse, T-bone, or NY strip steak. We occasionally get counter-cut beef tenderloins and ask for two that are smallish. We like lamb but it is too expensive right now, so we'll have ground lamb burgers once in a while. We rarely order red meat in restaurants unless it's a steakhouse, in which case, I usually order lamb chops if they're on the menu. It was DH's turn to have a red meat craving, so we're sharing a small Porterhouse tonight with baked potatoes and Michigan corn-on-the-cob.

It got so cold overnight that we could have turned on the furnace, but it is supposed to be in the mid-80s by the end of the week. Oh, the joys of Michigan weather!

We don't keep bacon in the house and only get a few slices of thick-sliced Amish bacon at the meat counter on occasion. Got six slices last week; used two for the succotash and had four for the BLTs. Same thing with red meat. We don't keep red meat in the house and only buy it when one of us gets a craving. If we want burgers, we'll buy 3/4# ground round. If I want to make Bolognese or meat sauce, we'll get 1.5# of ground round. When we want steak, we will share a small Porterhouse, T-bone, or NY strip steak. We occasionally get counter-cut beef tenderloins and ask for two that are smallish. We like lamb but it is too expensive right now, so we'll have ground lamb burgers once in a while. We rarely order red meat in restaurants unless it's a steakhouse, in which case, I usually order lamb chops if they're on the menu. It was DH's turn to have a red meat craving, so we're sharing a small Porterhouse tonight with baked potatoes and Michigan corn-on-the-cob.

It got so cold overnight that we could have turned on the furnace, but it is supposed to be in the mid-80s by the end of the week. Oh, the joys of Michigan weather!
We turned the heat on this morning. I don't eat meat all that much- my husband could eat red meat every day of the week. We purchased a New York Strip steak at Nino's last week and split the steak-- to be kind, it was awful: for me it was not eatable: it was so tough- This is the first time we had a bad steak from Ninos- Just surprised.

BLAT…I agree, @BetteDavisEyes , that does not sound good! Sounds like ‘Splat’! LOL
nea.gif

I’m sure I’ve mentioned before a favorite use for bacon in a recipe, and that’s in Bacon Fried Rice.

I don’t have a recipe for it, and I often change things up with the add-in ingredients. But I found a basic recipe online that seems pretty close to how I generally make it, if anyone is curious?
But I never measure anything, so I’m unsure of the measurements. My personal preference is to use Japanese white rice.

That would be so good crumbled over a salad!

I do something similar but without pecans: in the oven on a baking rack until the bacon starts to crisp around the edges. Then add brown sugar and maple syrup until it's caramelized and turns into delicious bacon candy. Does anyone else think this might be good on vanilla ice cream or is that too much?

That would be so good crumbled over a salad!

I do something similar but without pecans: in the oven on a baking rack until the bacon starts to crisp around the edges. Then add brown sugar and maple syrup until it's caramelized and turns into delicious bacon candy. Does anyone else think this might be good on vanilla ice cream or is that too much?
Doesn't sound too far afield from dipping McDonald's chips in your sundae, which my partner does, so, go for it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noseynellie1234
Back