Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Speaking of weird fast food combos, Wendy's saltine crackers (that they give you with their chili) are good dipped in their chocolate frostys. Go figure.
That is so funny because if I have a frosty, I dip the fries in it!! I don’t eat much of either and toss out the rest. I apparently did not get the french fry or the ice cream gene. LOL!

Breakfast with my friend today at KeKe’s Cafe. They put too much pepper on the potatoes. I was able to eat about 1/4 of my Greek omelette, a triangle of toast and a few potatoes. I’m going to sauté the potatoes in butter tomorrow and that should dilute the pepper. I have enough left over for 2 meals!

Dinner was carrots with a different hummus. The ingredients were about the same with the exception of the oils used. The Sabra has soybean oil and I find the taste is rather strong for me. The brand from Aldi’s has sunflower oil. It is milder and more to my liking. I ate the entire little dish which I don’t do with the Sabra brand.

Attachments

• IMG_5966.jpeg
    IMG_5966.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5963.jpeg
    IMG_5963.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5965.jpeg
    IMG_5965.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 14
Breakfast with my friend today at KeKe’s Cafe. They put too much pepper on the potatoes. I was able to eat about 1/4 of my Greek omelette, a triangle of toast and a few potatoes. I’m going to sauté the potatoes in butter tomorrow and that should dilute the pepper. I have enough left over for 2 meals!

Dinner was carrots with a different hummus. The ingredients were about the same with the exception of the oils used. The Sabra has soybean oil and I find the taste is rather strong for me. The brand from Aldi’s has sunflower oil. It is milder and more to my liking. I ate the entire little dish which I don’t do with the Sabra brand.
I love having veggies for dinner! Unfortunately, DH does not.
A big bowl of steamed broccoli and cauliflower with a bit of butter and Parmesan cheese, it doesn't get much better!

ETA - well it does, just add some toasted almond slivers!

RBBM: Thank you for pointing this out! I'd never have realized that's probably why I don't like some brands over others, it must be the oil.
Speaking of weird fast food combos, Wendy's saltine crackers (that they give you with their chili) are good dipped in their chocolate frostys. Go figure.
I have to draw the line at mixing chili with a Frosty though, just in case anyone is considering it lol!

What is this “Frosty” you all are talking about?
ylinlove.gif

Is it much different from a milkshake?

(I think I don’t get out enough…
blush.gif
)

(I think I don’t get out enough
blush.gif
)
Welcome to the club :D I sorta figured that a "frosty" was similar to a Dairy Queen "Blizzard" which I have had. There was a DQ near our previous home. We would ride our bikes there, with our beagle in tow. We would each have a Blizzard, and the workers always gave Max a little bowl of water. He enjoyed tasting our Blizzards, too, and even ate from our spoons! Fun times, for sure.

Boar’s Head will close the Virginia plant that produced deli meat tied to a deadly listeria outbreak, the company said on Friday.

The move is part of several changes made following what it called a “dark moment in our company’s history.” Boar’s Head said it will permanently discontinue sales of liverwurst after an investigation found its production process was the root cause of the listeria contamination. It will also implement a companywide food safety program, appoint a new food safety officer and bring on food safety council made up of independent industry experts, including former officials from the US Department of Agriculture and Food and Drug Administration.

US Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety Inspection Service reports from the facility have described insects, mold, “blood in puddles on the floor” and a “rancid smell in the cooler” at various points since 2022. Another report from 2022 cited “major deficiencies” with the plant’s physical conditions — rusty equipment, peeling and flaking paint, loose caulk, holes in walls, product residue on surfaces and dripping condensation — that posed an “imminent threat.”

We're having a heat wave here in southeastern Michigan with daytime temperatures in the 80s instead of the 70s. Overnights are cooler but above normal. We composted our dragon wing begonias on the porch and wall planter and replaced the urn with a lovely yellow mum. We'll keep the geraniums on the deck for another week or so as they still look fresh. Sprinklers getting blown out on Monday. Fall and winter are coming eventually.

Even though it's going to be quite warm today, I plan to make Pasta Fagioli (soup). I'll cheat a little on the prep and use food processor for the carrots, celery, garlic, and onion. Other ingredients include Italian sausage, chicken stock, canned diced tomatoes, cannellini beans, orecchiette pasta, and fresh basil for garnish. I will add a Parmesan rind to thicken the soup and provide additional flavor and richness. We'll enjoy the soup with crusty Asiago bread and a nice Chianti.

We’re going camping for a week, so I’ve been packing our food and supplies. The weather forecast shows temperatures in the 80s with lows in the mid-50s all next week.

I love camping in September but the weather can be unpredictable.

We're having a heat wave here in southeastern Michigan with daytime temperatures in the 80s instead of the 70s. Overnights are cooler but above normal. We composted our dragon wing begonias on the porch and wall planter and replaced the urn with a lovely yellow mum. We'll keep the geraniums on the deck for another week or so as they still look fresh. Sprinklers getting blown out on Monday. Fall and winter are coming eventually.

Even though it's going to be quite warm today, I plan to make Pasta Fagioli (soup). I'll cheat a little on the prep and use food processor for the carrots, celery, garlic, and onion. Other ingredients include Italian sausage, chicken stock, canned diced tomatoes, cannellini beans, orecchiette pasta, and fresh basil for garnish. I will add a Parmesan rind to thicken the soup and provide additional flavor and richness. We'll enjoy the soup with crusty Asiago bread and a nice Chianti.
The soup sounds great. We had a cool, gloomy, rainy day yesterday (thanks to effects of former hurricane Francine), and I made beef stew with onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, red wine and beef broth. It's one of my favorite things to cook and it hit the spot. We will have another meal from it. Tonight I made shrimp salad and served it on mixed greens with tomato, avocado, and pitted Kalamata olives. It was good too!

What is this “Frosty” you all are talking about?
ylinlove.gif

Is it much different from a milkshake?

(I think I don’t get out enough…
blush.gif
)

Welcome to the club :D I sorta figured that a "frosty" was similar to a Dairy Queen "Blizzard" which I have had. There was a DQ near our previous home. We would ride our bikes there, with our beagle in tow. We would each have a Blizzard, and the workers always gave Max a little bowl of water. He enjoyed tasting our Blizzards, too, and even ate from our spoons! Fun times, for sure.
A Frosty is sort of like a chocolate milkshake from Wendys'. It's not as creamy or chocolatey as a milkshake. To me it tastes like a chocolate popsicle.

We would ride our bikes to McDonalds for McFlurrys when I was a kid. They were cheaper and closer than the Dairy Queen!

I have no idea why I was still awake at 11pm but I finished off my carrots & an ALDIs hummus cup.

I’ve been craving biscuits & gravy. So I found a packet mix in the cabinet, 3 little frozen turkey sausage patties and just enough whole milk. Baked off some biscuits for the week. Made an egg too and had a filling breakfast.

I’m trying to keep less food in the house during hurricane season. I’ve been poking around to see what I can find to use up since it’s just me now. (Hurricanes Irma & Ian we lost $100s in food from the 2 fridges & 1 little chest freezer.)

I bought 4 gallons of water. I’ll sit those in the base of my chest freezer. If the power goes out, they can be put in the fridge. It takes them a while to melt but then we have fresh water.

Attachments

• IMG_6034.jpeg
    IMG_6034.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 14
So tonight’s creation was a crispy chicken quesadilla. I sauted a small chicken breast in butter, kosher salt and garlic powder. When it was done, I put the chicken aside. A tad more butter in the pan and added a gluten free flour wrap. A layer of Colby Jack cheese, the chicken, more cheese and folded it over. Flipped it to crisp the other side. Sour cream on the side. I should have diced up a tomato but forgot. It turned out much better than I expected. I am stuffed!

Attachments

• IMG_6040.jpeg
    IMG_6040.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 12
If your mouth is watering for a cheeseburger, you’re in luck!

It’s National Cheeseburger Day and fast-food chains are offering deals to curb your appetite, or you can stack your own.

According to “Checkiday,” adding cheese to burgers gained popularity in the late-1920s to mid-1930s.

The invention is thanks to Lionel Sternberger. According to “the spruce eats,” in 1924, Sternberger decided to slap a piece of American cheese onto a cooking hamburger at his father’s Pasadena, Cali. sandwich shop, the Rite Spot. They called it a “cheese hamburger.”

It was in 1934 when the first sandwich was called a “cheeseburger” at Kaelin’s restaurant in Louisville, Kentucky. The owner said he wanted to give the hamburger a little tang...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89
Back