Found Deceased France - Émile S., 2, outside grandparent’s house, Le Vernet, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, 8 July 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Bodhi Thank you so much for your detailed & interesting answer. I had no idea as to the relevance of flying the Kingdom of Patagonia flag.

Always learning here on Websleuths!!
I went looking for the significance of Patagonia too and the Kingdom of Patagonia didn't seem relevant. Until I got to the Raspail connection. I still have no idea why Raspail declared himself the consul of a nonexistent kingdom. Why that kingdom, what use its flag? But at least I learned that it is used as an emblem of the far right in France. I would love to read more, if anyone has any suggestions.

I went looking for the significance of Patagonia too and the Kingdom of Patagonia didn't seem relevant. Until I got to the Raspail connection. I still have no idea why Raspail declared himself the consul of a nonexistent kingdom. Why that kingdom, what use its flag? But at least I learned that it is used as an emblem of the far right in France. I would love to read more, if anyone has any suggestions.
I don’t know that this has any bearing on the matter, but good old Wikipedia provide some details on this geographical region:

Patagonia - Wikipedia

Patagonia (Spanish pronunciation: [pataˈɣonja]) is a geographical region that encompasses the southern end of South America, governed by Argentina and Chile.”

“The future history depicted in Olaf Stapledon's Last and First Men includes a far future time in which Patagonia becomes the center of a new world civilization while Europe and North America are reduced to the status of backward poverty-stricken areas.”

This is a very sad case because a tiny little boy has disappeared. Doubtful that he could survive this long.

In MOO there are very few avenues, either he was over disciplined or it has to do with the political views of the family. It seems the grandfather is the only one from the original group that still belong to the SCI which apparently only covers the chapel now and not the housing from the original group. Also, according to he article there is very bad blood among the original members. In Europe, especially in France, people are very fanatic about their political views. This is something that we don’t really do in North America.

Bringing the graphic posted earlier:

emilesPurportedPath_July2023_300.jpg

Has anyone "walked" any of his possible route with Google Earth? Looked for places he could have fallen and maybe was missed by searchers and search dogs?

Just a thought.

JMVHO.

This is a very sad case because a tiny little boy has disappeared. Doubtful that he could survive this long.

In MOO there are very few avenues, either he was over disciplined or it has to do with the political views of the family. It seems the grandfather is the only one from the original group that still belong to the SCI which apparently only covers the chapel now and not the housing from the original group. Also, according to he article there is very bad blood among the original members. In Europe, especially in France, people are very fanatic about their political views. This is something that we don’t really do in North America.
No, no political fanatics in the US at all... /s

Can someone clarify the amount of time between when he was last seen and when his absence was discovered? It seems an awfully small chunk of time for him to have gone anywhere far, and a strange car would have been noticed. Animal attack? Hide and seek mishap? Sinkhole? Sending thoughts of comfort to this family.

Can someone clarify the amount of time between when he was last seen and when his absence was discovered? It seems an awfully small chunk of time for him to have gone anywhere far, and a strange car would have been noticed. Animal attack? Hide and seek mishap? Sinkhole? Sending thoughts of comfort to this family.

The Prosecutor statement quotes 5.15pm as the time when his absence was discovered and 6pm as the time when the police were notified.

There isn't - unfortunately - an acceptable MSM link that I can post here re the witnesses and the last sighting. Other means of discussion and information are of course available.

No, you haven't missed anything. The family has no connection to Patagonia except as a symbol. Flying the flag of the "Kingdom of Patagonia" is used by the far right in France in a symbolic way. There is not much information readily available online, but here is what I have pieced together. In the mid-1800s a French adventurer declared himself King of Araucania and Patagonia but the Kingdom was never a diplomatically recognized state. The indigineous Mapuche peoples in Patagonia opposed to colonial rule went along with the adventurer's claim; the speculation I read is they may have believed having a European as the head of the state could help them regain autonomy, that the colonial powers might accept an independent state with a European as king.

The families who were renovating Boulard into their summer paradise in the 1970s flew the flag of the Kingdom of Patagonia over the hamlet. That's the reason Patagonia comes up in articles about Emile's disappearance. French novelist Jean Raspail declared himself consul of the Kingdom of Patagonia. In the 1990s, Raspail and a few others twice attacked a deserted island called Les Minquiers, which is south of Jersey and under British control. He took down the Union Jack and hoisted the flag of the Kingdom of Patagonia.

The families summering in Boulard flew that flag of Patagonia as a declaration of their shared worldview. Raspail's 1973 novel "The Camp of Saints" depicts France and the West being overrun by hordes of non-Europeans. It is called "the racist anti-immigrant bible of the extreme right" in the article above; Raspail came to be considered the Prophet of far right extremism. The homage to Raspail in flying the flag over their summer sanctuary indicates support for extremist action and opposition to democracy and a rigid, patriarchal family life.

From the very limited information we have access to, the family's rigid beliefs and actions re democracy or immigration may not be as relevant to Emile's disappearance (although authorities are investigating all avenues) as what it suggests about their views on childrearing and strict discipline. That's my opinion. I fear that a little boy escaping out the gate on his first afternoon with his grandparents may have needed to "learn a lesson" on disobedience. MOO.
Thanks for your research and thoughtful posts, @Bodhi ! Very interesting and my thoughts are in line with your last paragraph, bolded above. Though their extremist beliefs could make the family a target and be very protective of others who share their beliefs.

Last edited:
There's a chance with every missing person's case, particularly children, for the searchers to overlook a small area only accessible by a smaller body. With that said, it's puzzling that SAR were not able to locate Émile given the timeline that the public is privy to and how quickly authorities are said to have been alerted. IMO this is not a child nor a situation that would indicate kilometres and kilometres have been walked by him in his unsupervised absence from adults without detection. Again, IMO.

The drone that has been utilized is not your run-of-the-mill civilian drone. It has military applications and its detection abilities are top-notch. For them to come up empty handed using this drone during the day and night is another sign pointing to him not being in the search area. Again- not conclusive, but an indication.

I'm getting the sense that the electronic data they will gather from going over the phone records of people who pinged in the area that day will be crucial for the investigation.

What were the movements and timeline of the father and grandfather that day?

PLEASE FILL IN OR CORRECT ANY DETAILS AGAINST THE INFORMATION BELOW:

What time did his parents drop him off at his grandparents' house?

What time did Emile go down for an afternoon nap?

When did he wake up?

What time did the two witnesses see him walking along a path out of the house.

If those witnesses reported seeing him walking away, did they tell the family?

Were they family members (as ten members were there for a party)?

Emile disappeared at 5.15pm.

His disappearance was reported to police at 6pm.

Were his parents back in Marseille when Emile went missing and have an alibi?

If so, did the grandfather chase after him and severely discipline him and he died?

But how long would he have had to hide the body?

Are the family members covering up for a family member?

I cannot see how a stranger would lie in wait and know that Emile was there or that Emile would walk away on his own at that very time. Also it's a very isolated area.

I'm not sure whether their mobile phones would help solve this case if it was a family member except to prove that his parents were not in the vicinity.

If the village is in a mountainous area, I doubt whether a harvesting machine would be there.

All IMO

What were the movements and timeline of the father and grandfather that day?

PLEASE FILL IN OR CORRECT ANY DETAILS AGAINST THE INFORMATION BELOW:

What time did his parents drop him off at his grandparents' house?

What time did Emile go down for an afternoon nap?

When did he wake up?

What time did the two witnesses see him walking along a path out of the house.

If those witnesses reported seeing him walking away, did they tell the family?

Were they family members (as ten members were there for a party)?

Emile disappeared at 5.15pm.

His disappearance was reported to police at 6pm.

Were his parents back in Marseille when Emile went missing and have an alibi?

If so, did the grandfather chase after him and severely discipline him and he died?

But how long would he have had to hide the body?

Are the family members covering up for a family member?

I cannot see how a stranger would lie in wait and know that Emile was there or that Emile would walk away on his own at that very time. Also it's a very isolated area.

I'm not sure whether their mobile phones would help solve this case if it was a family member except to prove that his parents were not in the vicinity.

If the village is in a mountainous area, I doubt whether a harvesting machine would be there.

All IMO
I agree, it had to be family, one of the neighbors, or a mishap when he was hiding. Hoping he's alive in some cupboard somewhere in the house!

Are there mountain lions etc up in those parts?
There are no mountain lions in whole Europe, let alone in France, as these cats live only in both Americas. As for big carnivores that actually live in this area, there are wolves (who rarely, if ever, attack humans) and euroasian lynxes (who tend to keep away from human settlements). No bears in these parts.

Disappearance of Émile at Vernet: the mayor of the village suspects a "Machiavellian" person​

A full month after the disappearance of little Émile, which occurred on Saturday July 8, 2023 in the hamlet of Haut-Vernet (Alpes-de-Haute-Provence), the mystery remains unsolved. The mayor of the town of Vernet, François Balique, estimated with "Cnews" that the child had been "moved" by a "crazy".

“My feeling is anger. When we see that we have not found Émile in the town, it means that he has necessarily been moved. It cannot be otherwise. It could only have been moved by adults, by one or more adults. Either we are dealing with a madman, or we are dealing with someone Machiavellian , “said the city councilor at the microphone of Cnews .

Despite a major raking of the land, with "97 hectares of fields, woods or steep terrain carefully scrutinized" according to the prosecutor of Digne-les-Bains Rémy Avon, no trace of the child could be identified. The reinforcement of a canine brigade and drones to crisscross a wider area around the town did not help to elucidate the mystery of this disappearance either.

more nothingness.
It's alarming that authorities appear to have no clues at all or the mayor would not have spoken as he did in the above posts linked today..

Everybody local in such a small population will know the crazies and it is likely the known crazies have been extensively interviewed based upon the reported resources poured into this investigation.

Despite a major raking of the land, with "97 hectares of fields, woods or steep terrain carefully scrutinized" according to the prosecutor of Digne-les-Bains Rémy Avon, no trace of the child could be identified. The reinforcement of a canine brigade and drones to crisscross a wider area around the town did not help to elucidate the mystery of this disappearance either.

I wonder if they have used cadaver dogs yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1