France - 5 shot, 4 dead in French Alps, may have int'l ramifications, 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In one of many unexplained twists in the case, it emerged that Ikbal’s previous husband, an American dentist, died from a heart attack on the same day as the shootings, although police have said the deaths were not connected.

Hilli’s then seven-year-old daughter, Zainab, was pistol-whipped and badly beaten during the attack, possibly after the killer ran out of ammunition, police have suggested. Her sister Zeena, then four, hid in the footwell of the vehicle.

French police re-arrest suspect over 2012 gun massacre of British family in the Alps | Daily Mail Online

Haute-Savoie. Tuerie de Chevaline : un homme placé en garde à vue, les précisions de la procureur d'Annecy

"It is a case of custody as there have already been many in this case, we must not get carried away," prosecutor Line Bonnet-Mathis, somewhat "surprised by the speed of the circulation of information", cautioned. "I won't say anything more about the person being questioned. We have already had a suicide at the end of police custody in this case, we must remain prudent and measured about its outcome. I do not want to give any identification or location of this person," according to the prosecutor who will inform on her twitter account of a possible extension of the custody, which began at 8 am on Wednesday.

Searches have been carried out.

BBM

Probably it is indeed the motorcycle man, various details fit his description.

On air on BFMTV, he is referred to as a 'chef d'entreprise'
It was also mentioned (earlier) that the house searched is located in the outskirts of Lyon.

Story 2 : 10 ans après la tuerie de Chevaline, une garde à vue - 12/01

In 2015, @Muy Curioso wrote:

The motorcyclist for who they were looking for two years can not be the same as was seen by Martin. And if he is the same, then he lied. This man was seen near the scene of the crime before or about 15:00, and left the place at that time, according to his testimony. Martin saw a motorcyclist about 15:30 hours, three to five minutes before arriving at the scene. Almost certainly the motorcyclist seen Martin was the killer, or one of them.

Forestry workers saw the motorcyclist withe the strange helmet before three in the afternoon. Brett Martin saw him about half past three. Three to five minutes before arriving at the crime scene.

Fingers crossed, though surely this must have been known before?

https://twitter.com/ThomasCUNY/status/1481340570085867528

@ThomasCuny reporter @france2tv, @france3tv

FTV INFO: The man taken into police custody this morning in the case of the #Chevaline killing in 2012, is the biker seen at the scene

Already heard in 2015, he was released, without charge

13767822.jpg

BBM

Haute-Savoie. Tuerie de Chevaline : le motard, témoin clé, placé en garde à vue

Chevaline murders: the biker, key witness, placed in police custody

A man was taken into custody on Wednesday January 12 in connection with the Chevaline massacre on September 5, 2012 on a forest path near Lake Annecy, in Haute-Savoie. Ten years later, the investigation rebounds and rekindles the hope of unraveling the mystery of the quadruple murder of a British family of Iraqi origin and a French cyclist.

BBM

CHEVALINE | Qui est l’homme placé en garde à vue dans l’affaire de la tuerie ?

This Wednesday 12 January 2022, a man was placed in police custody in the case of the mysterious Chevaline massacre and its quadruple murder of 5 September 2012.

The Annecy prosecutor's office, who announced the custody on Wednesday morning, did not want to make public the name of the witness already heard before.

In front of the premises of the SR [Section de Recherche, Investigative Unit] of Chambéry this Wednesday evening, Jean-Christophe Basson-Larbi, lawyer of the motorcyclist who was sought by sketch-robot, confirmed that it was indeed his client: "strong, but in absolute terror of a judicial error."

The man was summoned for a "time verification" and is still in police custody on Wednesday evening, and the public prosecutor's office says that a possible prolongation, has not yet been decided.

Sought after the publication of a sketch on November 4, 2013, the man had finally been found in 2015 through his mobile phone, after combing through 4,000 phone records. This company director from the Lyon region, owner of the famous GPA and ISR type helmet, had said that he had come to paraglide in the region when he was stopped by the two guards of the National Forestry Office

BBM

He is in custody for "assassination and attempted assassination".

An assassination is a murder (voluntary homicide) committed with premeditation or other circumstances considered as aggravating.

This act has been considered the most serious of crimes against the person and for which the penalties are the most severe, such as life imprisonment (or, in some countries, the death penalty).

The whole shebang. Good.

Last edited:
Tuerie de Chevaline : le motard, vu près de la scène de crime, placé en garde à vue

Chevaline massacre: the motorcyclist seen near the scene of the crime taken into custody

The man placed in custody since Wednesday morning in Chambéry as part of the investigation into the Chevaline massacre is the motorcyclist who was seen near the scene of the crime and who had already been heard in 2015. According to our information, his custody should be extended.

The person placed in custody since 8:05am on Wednesday in the premises of the research section (SR) of Chambéry as part of the investigation into the Chevaline massacre, is the biker who was seen in the vicinity of the crime scene at the time of the facts, we learned on Wednesday, confirming a report by France 3. The man, who had already been heard in 2015 before being cleared, was again placed in custody for " assassination " and " attempted assassination ". On Wednesday evening, the man was still being questioned by investigators and according to our information, his custody is expected to be extended.

On 5 December 2012, three members of the same family of British citizens of Iraqi origin, and a cyclist from Savoie, were murdered in a car park in the Combe d'Ire. None of the leads explored so far have been successful.

We have to go back to November 2013, a little over a year after the quadruple murder, to see him appear in the file. The investigators of the research section of Chambéry broadcast at that time a sketch, that of a motorcyclist, helmeted and wearing a goatee. ONF [National Forests Office] agents said they had seen him in the area of the crime, on the day of the massacre. More than a year and a half passed before the man in the sketch was identified, in March 2015: he was a company director from the Lyon region. The man explained that he had come to go paragliding in the Annecy area and that he had passed by on a motorbike on 5 September 2012 in the Chevaline area. His story was verified: he was finally removed from the list of suspects.

For the time being, the Annecy prosecutor's office is confining itself to talking about "time verification" issues. Three months ago, at the end of September 2021, this same motorcyclist was one of the four key witnesses at the time, who were put back into the situation and timed on the basis of their statements. Inconsistencies would have appeared at that time.

"My client is entitled to respect for his private life, to the presumption of innocence," said the lawyer of the detainee, Jean-Christophe Basson-Larbi, to our colleagues of France 3 on Wednesday.

"The position of this gentleman is always the same: -I was walking, I went to this region for something specific-. The weather was good, he walked on paths that he did not know because he did not use a GPS. He crossed paths with motorists, maybe, but he didn't cross paths with this poor family," he said. The home of the motorcyclist, who lives near Lyon, was also searched.

BBM

I hope this case is finally solved. Is there speculation as to why the suspect killed these people?

I hope this case is finally solved. Is there speculation as to why the suspect killed these people?

It hasn't even been 24 hours! ;)

I haven't seen any serious source about a motive yet.

The other al-Hilli brother thinks that the in-laws of the French cyclist are behind the attack. But nothing has been mentioned about a link between that family and the man now in custody. He does not fit the profile of a hired killer either.

The other idea that floats around is road rage, or something similar. But based on what is known about the man, this seems far-fetched too, at least at first sight.

In 2015, when the biker finally was identified, questioned and released without charge, it was said about the man:

"His personal and professional profile excludes him from the list of suspects for 95%, but checks still need to be carried out," according to a source close to the case.

The man was found thanks to the analysis of his mobile phone's location and the use of video images, and was in fact there by chance. He explained to investigators that he had come to the Chevaline area, a place known for "free flight" sports,* to practice his passion, paragliding.

The man appeared wearing a goatee, and above all a helmet of a rare model, of which only 8000 were made. From then on, he appeared to be the number one suspect in the investigation.

Tuerie de Chevaline : le motard interpellé mais pas impliqué

It hasn't even been 24 hours! ;)

I haven't seen any serious source about a motive yet.

The other al-Hilli brother thinks that the in-laws of the French cyclist are behind the attack. But nothing has been mentioned about a link between that family and the man now in custody. He does not fit the profile of a hired killer either.

The other idea that floats around is road rage, or something similar. But based on what is known about the man, this seems far-fetched too, at least at first sight.

In 2015, when the biker finally was identified, questioned and released without charge, it was said about the man:

"His personal and professional profile excludes him from the list of suspects for 95%, but checks still need to be carried out," according to a source close to the case.

The man was found thanks to the analysis of his mobile phone's location and the use of video images, and was in fact there by chance. He explained to investigators that he had come to the Chevaline area, a place known for "free flight" sports,* to practice his passion, paragliding.

The man appeared wearing a goatee, and above all a helmet of a rare model, of which only 8000 were made. From then on, he appeared to be the number one suspect in the investigation.

Tuerie de Chevaline : le motard interpellé mais pas impliqué

Thank you! I thought maybe there was more (incriminating) info that I'd missed in prior years.

In one of many unexplained twists in the case, it emerged that Ikbal’s previous husband, an American dentist, died from a heart attack on the same day as the shootings, although police have said the deaths were not connected.

Hilli’s then seven-year-old daughter, Zainab, was pistol-whipped and badly beaten during the attack, possibly after the killer ran out of ammunition, police have suggested. Her sister Zeena, then four, hid in the footwell of the vehicle.

French police re-arrest suspect over 2012 gun massacre of British family in the Alps | Daily Mail Online
The whole case is sad, but, the child being pistol whipped and beaten is horrifying. Glad there's an arrest that's been made, however. The arrested individual was questioned as a witness initially according to French media reports.

Last edited:
Tuerie de Chevaline : le motard, vu près de la scène de crime, placé en garde à vue

Chevaline massacre: the motorcyclist seen near the scene of the crime taken into custody

The man placed in custody since Wednesday morning in Chambéry as part of the investigation into the Chevaline massacre is the motorcyclist who was seen near the scene of the crime and who had already been heard in 2015. According to our information, his custody should be extended.

The person placed in custody since 8:05am on Wednesday in the premises of the research section (SR) of Chambéry as part of the investigation into the Chevaline massacre, is the biker who was seen in the vicinity of the crime scene at the time of the facts, we learned on Wednesday, confirming a report by France 3. The man, who had already been heard in 2015 before being cleared, was again placed in custody for " assassination " and " attempted assassination ". On Wednesday evening, the man was still being questioned by investigators and according to our information, his custody is expected to be extended.

On 5 December 2012, three members of the same family of British citizens of Iraqi origin, and a cyclist from Savoie, were murdered in a car park in the Combe d'Ire. None of the leads explored so far have been successful.

We have to go back to November 2013, a little over a year after the quadruple murder, to see him appear in the file. The investigators of the research section of Chambéry broadcast at that time a sketch, that of a motorcyclist, helmeted and wearing a goatee. ONF [National Forests Office] agents said they had seen him in the area of the crime, on the day of the massacre. More than a year and a half passed before the man in the sketch was identified, in March 2015: he was a company director from the Lyon region. The man explained that he had come to go paragliding in the Annecy area and that he had passed by on a motorbike on 5 September 2012 in the Chevaline area. His story was verified: he was finally removed from the list of suspects.

For the time being, the Annecy prosecutor's office is confining itself to talking about "time verification" issues. Three months ago, at the end of September 2021, this same motorcyclist was one of the four key witnesses at the time, who were put back into the situation and timed on the basis of their statements. Inconsistencies would have appeared at that time.

"My client is entitled to respect for his private life, to the presumption of innocence," said the lawyer of the detainee, Jean-Christophe Basson-Larbi, to our colleagues of France 3 on Wednesday.

"The position of this gentleman is always the same: -I was walking, I went to this region for something specific-. The weather was good, he walked on paths that he did not know because he did not use a GPS. He crossed paths with motorists, maybe, but he didn't cross paths with this poor family," he said. The home of the motorcyclist, who lives near Lyon, was also searched.

BBM
Well, IMO there's two ways to go with this if the individual is guilty then time's passage (since 2012) could play into the person's memory and answers could falter, therefore LE would have to look at what the individual is stating now as opposed to then. Or is not guilty and is found by LE to be correct in statements made prior, then we are back to square one unsloved. In this case Geofencing made a connection. Its good they had the technology back in 2012 otherwise who knows where this case would be. IMO the Geofencing made a big difference to LE's efforts.

Could either of the girls have provided the clue that led to the re-staging last year?
I always wondered about the children, initially when it first happened I was concerned that they might be too traumatized in the future to want to relive the scene. But, at the same time they probably want justice so they probably got the courage to remember details of what occurred that awful day. But of course authoriites aren't going to say to protect them, which is the right action. MOO

I always thought it suspicious that the motorcyclist didn't contact police voluntarily, what with all the publicity of the crime, the sketch, his having been there only once, a place he'd never been before, just at the time of the crime, would have been memorable to him.

Police would need more than just confirming he was in the area, or even testimony from the child, which I doubt would count for much in court.

The best evidence would be the gun in his possession, or possibly proof that he'd had such a make and model gun.

Also his background, something solid to show he was an expert markman.

Last edited:
I always thought it suspicious that the motorcyclist didn't contact police voluntarily, what with all the publicity of the crime, the sketch, his having been there only once, a place he'd never been before, just at the time of the crime, would have been memorable to him.

Police would need more than just confirming he was in the area, or even testimony from the child, which I doubt would count for much in court.

The best evidence would be the gun in his possession, or possibly proof that he'd had such a make and model gun.

Also his background, something solid to show he was an expert markman.
I'm just speculating but perhaps CCTV footage further on the road as well (it was 2012 so I don't think dashcams were that widespread yet.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ribut1932
Back