France - 5 shot, 4 dead in French Alps, may have int'l ramifications, 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
CHEVALINE | TUERIE DE 2012 : « Un gars qui voulait faire un carton ! » pour Dominique Rizet

PODCAST

CHEVALINE | 2012 Massacre: "A guy who wanted to have a go (on the rifle range)" according to Dominique Rizet

A few hours after the motorcyclist was released from police custody, Dominique Rizet, expert consultant on police and judicial matters for BFM TV and columnist for the programme Faites entrer l'accusé, comments on the Chevaline murder case for H2O. The opportunity for H2O to collect "his intimate conviction" on the quadruple murder of September 5th 2012, in an exclusive podcast.

Did you believe in the motorcyclist's trail?

Dominique Rizet asked himself questions but from the moment the lawyer said that the biker never held a weapon: "It can't be him.
Me Basson-Larbi denounced last week an abusive police custody. "I found it very harsh," replied the journalist. "48 hours of hell. You shouldn't exaggerate! It was normal to ask him questions.

Will we ever find the culprit(s)?

"It's strange, but I would have been disappointed if it had happened like that (that it was the biker). It means that the truth is still to come.

Dominique Rizet is convinced that the killer operated alone, that he is a local. As for the many successive leads: "There are far too many coincidences in the case.

"We have to go back to what is simple. What the hell is this gun? The weapon used does not fit with the hypothesis of a professional murder according to the journalist who has over 250 episodes of the programme 'Faites entrer l'accusé' on his record.

What does it take to get this case solved?

"A big stroke of luck. Maybe it's a case like that, where bad luck has set in." [...]
"The killer disappeared as quickly as he arrived. Possibly he came on foot, he was passing by, he left."

BBM

Snippets from the the podcast:

About the attack on the eldest girl who was hit with the gun: a professional hitman would have had another weapon, a knife as a back-up (in case he ran out of bullets, ~ but the Lüger isn't exactly a weapon for a pro anyway).

This perp has a gun, is maybe a member of a shooting club, or a hunter. Knows how to handle a gun. The weapon would have been 'in the family'. You don't throw away granddad's gun!

It would have been a bad encounter, a chance encounter. Maybe he was there wanting to try his weapon, and someone arrived and said something wrong.... this has happened before ... Dominique Rizet mentions another case (in Fontainebleau) and says he believes something similar has happened in Chevaline.

DR is also convinced that the name of the perp is not in the actual files. He wasn't meant to be there that day, he wasn't planning to kill a family or a cyclist, yet it happened and the person has disappeared as quickly as he arrived. Maybe he was a hiker, the type with a backpack. He disappeared into the woods, and no one saw him, or if they did see him, they thought he was a hiker.
IMO Dominique Rizet raises some really good points regarding this case. But one thing that I come back to is that it appeared to happen very quickly. On a side note I wonder how LE knows the cyclist was shot first. If the cyclist was shot first seven times at that then it was in quick rapid succession (the bullets hitting the cyclist) as if not to waste time. Maybe the killer also didn't want anyone to reach for a cellphone for a photo then if someone did that would add to the killer's wanting to do this quickly if the phone had to be retrieved by the killer. The family may have been to this particular location in past years so they may have known perhaps where good views were or beautiful flowers to see and the older daughter and father were heading there until the killer encountered them and said something unnerving or even made a frightening gesture and the cyclist happened to appear. Then the rampage began and the actions of the family trying to escape with the older daughter's situation as it happened. MOO.

Seeing that this is the DM, I checked with the French....

Haute-Savoie. Tuerie de Chevaline : Line Bonnet, procureur d’Annecy revient sur ses propos : « Il n’y a rien de nouveau »

Sometimes it only takes a small spark to light a big fire. On Thursday 17 February, our colleagues in La Tribune de Genève published an interview with the Annecy prosecutor, Line Bonnet, on the Chevaline massacre case. In this interview, conducted "a long time ago" according to the magistrate, she affirms that French investigators are "no longer very far" from solving this nearly 10-year-old mystery. A little sentence full of promise but unfortunately without foundation.

Contacted by us, Line Bonnet qualified these remarks: "They [the Tribune de Genève] got carried away, it's a total extrapolation. According to her, "we are certainly hopeful of solving this investigation", but "no more today than yesterday or the day before."

She added: "There is nothing new at the moment. There is no custody in progress or to come.

BBM

Why am I not surprised?

BTW the interview in La Tribune is subscription only

Haute-Savoie. Tuerie de Chevaline : Line Bonnet, procureur d’Annecy revient sur ses propos : « Il n’y a rien de nouveau »

Sometimes it only takes a small spark to light a big fire. On Thursday 17 February, our colleagues in La Tribune de Genève published an interview with the Annecy prosecutor, Line Bonnet, on the Chevaline massacre case. In this interview, conducted "a long time ago" according to the magistrate, she affirms that French investigators are "no longer very far" from solving this nearly 10-year-old mystery. A little sentence full of promise but unfortunately without foundation.

Contacted by us, Line Bonnet qualified these remarks: "They [the Tribune de Genève] got carried away, it's a total extrapolation. According to her, "we are certainly hopeful of solving this investigation", but "no more today than yesterday or the day before."

She added: "There is nothing new at the moment. There is no custody in progress or to come.

BBM

Why am I not surprised?

Sad.

BBM

Why am I not surprised?

Personally, I think that a crime where
-the victims were chosen at random,
- there was only one perp
- it hasn't been repeated somewhere else,
has very little likelihood of being solved after the first few days.

The only hope, IMO, is if a family member /close friend is suspicious and eventually goes to police, or, if the perp brags to someone.

JMO

Why didn't the mother, grandmother and youngest daughter get out of the car? Why only the father and the eldest daughter had gotten out of the car?
Why was the mother of the family in the back of the car? Shouldn't she have been in the passenger seat?

Why did the gendarmes only notice Zeena's presence 8 hours later?
Difficult to conceive. Even though she was squatting on the back floor of the car under her mother's legs. She was not, however, invisible.

Why didn't the mother, grandmother and youngest daughter get out of the car? Why only the father and the eldest daughter had gotten out of the car?
Why was the mother of the family in the back of the car? Shouldn't she have been in the passenger seat?

Am only guessing at reasons but potentially:

He was accompanying the child to go to toilet

The other passengers were asleep and they were looking at view/taking photos

They needed to stretch their legs and the others didn't want to leave car

I've sat in the back with my children on longer journeys to keep them entertained, or the child in the back could have been sick? The one in the front needed to sit there due to travel sickness

Yes, but here, the Al-Hilli family did not travel long distances. The family had just stopped in the village of Arnand located just before Chevaline. There everyone had come down to take pictures.
So they couldn't have fallen asleep within minutes. And how could they have taken pictures while staying in the car with the seat belt fastened, the car being parked facing the embankment.

Difficult to conceive. Even though she was squatting on the back floor of the car under her mother's legs. She was not, however, invisible.

How do you know that Zeena was not invisible? Source please.

I think it was said that she was under her mother's clothing, ie a long dress. She wasn't visible.
I seem to recall way back in the thread that it was said that it seemed that the mother had tried to hide Zeena.

IMO good quesions. I have thought that also, but I came to a conclusion that perhaps the father and daughter were onl going out for a short time. Maybe like 10 to 15 minutes to look at the flowers in the area. But before the father and duaghter could save themselves (actually the father tried to drive the car away) the shooter was upon the scene and it was fast and chaotic as the cyclist happened to arrive at the scene right then as the killer was about to start the rampage. That's how I imagined what happened.

Maybe she was car sick?
You mean the elder daughter. But it was stated that the elder daughter liked the flowers of the area. So I am assuming that. Car sick possibly, but she had been on this trip before and it wasn't mentioned that she was ever car sick.

Has no one on this chain not learned of Frederick Vaglio and his group of assassins? IMO hired to kill SM… obvious

This is it!
It could be the cyclist that he could have wanted to assasinate. The professional hitman aspect has been discussed before on this thread. So those of us who have been following the case are aware of this possibility. But the family its tough to say who would want this to happen. The grandmother obviously not (she had nothing of value other than her family), the father and mother possibly but it would have to be someone to gain something that would hire the hitman. That's already been covered and examined so we can't say. Then the children no reason to want them dead if its not for financial gain. So its hard to say for sure. The one thing IMO that hasn't been covered enough is the brutality of this crime. To me it seems this has been overlooked and could offer a clue as to a possible motive. MOO.

Is the Slain Cyclist the Key to the Perfect Murders in the Alps? Part Three
Maybe it was the cyclist Sylvain Mollier who was the target.

It makes sense when the story about the hitmen being reportedly hired by another factory owner is considered: Factory owner hires hit man in plot to take out union representative - nwLaborPress The hitmen decided not to follow-through on that murder because the man was the father of young children. You can imagine they had the Alps murder in mind when they declined to follow-through.

The story continues, because the French were continuing to investigate:

Last edited:
Is the Slain Cyclist the Key to the Perfect Murders in the Alps? Part Three
Maybe it was the cyclist Sylvain Mollier who was the target.

It makes sense when the story about the hitmen being reportedly hired by another factory owner is considered: Factory owner hires hit man in plot to take out union representative - nwLaborPress The hitmen decided not to follow-through on that murder because the man was the father of young children. You can imagine they had the Alps murder in mind when they declined to follow-through.

The story continues, because the French were continuing to investigate:

Maybe it was the cyclist? eeh what?!

From the link that you posted:

Maillaud [ investigating prosecutor at the time ] hasn’t been able to read everything published about l’affaire de Chevaline, but he’s aware of the basic theory: that Claire Schutz’s family had Mollier whacked for being a lout, and the al-Hilli family simply got in the way. Maillaud listens as it is explained again; then he shakes his head. This was investigated and dismissed long ago, he says.

BBM

The family of the cyclist's partner are NO SUSPECTS in this case, they are NO POI.

Neither the al-Hilli family nor the cyclist had planned to be on that spot on that time on that day. Now tell me how a hired hit killer would have planned an attack under those circumstances? He wouldn't!
If this had been a planned attack, ordered and paid for, the shooter would not have been alone, and he would not have relied on one single weapon with no back up.

The family of the cyclist's partner are victims too, and WS is a victim-friendly forum.

Zazara, as new information is discovered theories will change. We need to be open to re-evaluation of previously examined materials and theories.

You are obviously very close to this case. What are your best assessments? It would be useful to hear.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back