France - Explosions and shooting in Paris, 13 November 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think quite the opposite and it demonstrates how wrong it is to place the blame on people who have nothing to do with it. We should have learned this by now. Blame those who are responsible. Understanding and admitting it happened before does not make it okay. It should help us recognize our mistakes and not repeat them.

Eta: Just saw your reply Bessie. I hope this doesn't read like another comparison. I'm trying to speak specifically to what is happening now.

I know who to blame as most of the world knows, it's not rocket science. jmo

I think quite the opposite and it demonstrates how wrong it is to place the blame on people who have nothing to do with it. We should have learned this by now. Blame those who are responsible. Understanding and admitting it happened before does not make it okay. It should help us recognize our mistakes and not repeat them.

Eta: Just saw your reply Bessie. I hope this doesn't read like another comparison. I'm trying to speak specifically to what is happening now.

bbm I really want to know what is meant by this, cause I started to reply then deleted, so I would like to know how you saw what?

I know who to blame as most of the world knows, it's not rocket science. jmo

No, making or using racial or religious generalizations or stereotypes is definitely not rocket science. And it's difficult to gauge what most of the world thinks. One might be surprised. Many things we take for granted in North America -- say, support for military incursions into areas of the middle east -- are actually quite unpopular in most of the world.

I really wish my government (US) would get with the program and light up, in French colors, one of the most universally cherished gifts ever given to Americans by another nation--our lovely Lady of Liberty, which was given to us by France.

statue of liberty.jpg

What is interesting is that most people (that I know) that have been affected by terrorism do not generalize. They do not wish harm on all Muslims. They are capable of separating the extremists from the Muslims.

Just something I have noticed.

"In a video, ISIL called on Muslims to attack France.

"As long as you keep bombing you will not live in peace. You will even fear travelling to the market," said an Arabic-speaking man, flanked by others.
Alain Gresh: Why is the war on terror not working?

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said that France and other Western nations were at least partly responsible for the attacks, criticising Holland for turning a blind eye to its allies which supported anti-regime groups in Syria.

Alain Gresh, editor of the French Le Monde Diplomatique magazine, told Al Jazeera that he expected critics to start speaking out publicly about France's foreign policies after a day or two of national mourning.

"I think after one or two days, the criticism will begin," he said.

"We have been in this war against terror for years and years and [yet] we have more terror - this is a real problem."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/paris-attacks-151114194600771.html

bbm Bessie this here reads to me that I replied to a post of yours, does it not? I then asked what was meant by this, and am still waiting to hear.

Great! So perhaps, to advance the discussion (and keep it on track) the focus should remain on edification by defining who is to blame NOW, and seeking an understanding of the motivation behind the actions.

bbm Bessie this here reads to me that I replied to a post of yours, does it not? I then asked what was meant by this, and am still waiting to hear.
No, it doesn't mean that you replied to a post of mine. My post was simple. Let's not venture off track with an endless list of historic comparisons. Rather, we should stick to the issue at hand. BS added the comment because she had not read my post before she posted her own.

I say this with the utmost respect, but would it be ok if we take the current debate to another thread. JMO but I think that is a topic for another place, and certainly another time. Thanks very much.

Last night I had posted about the "Open Door" hashtag. There's now an American addition:

"Parisians offered shelter to anyone caught up in or stranded in the chaos, setting Twitter alight with the hashtag #porteouverte — or “open door.” Americans echoed the charity with #StrandedInUS."

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/paris-attacks-france-hollande-blames-isis

Also from the above link:

Philip Bromwell*@philipbromwell
The front pages from across France #Paris
CTwZRWGWoAAHibP.jpg

Last night I had posted about the "Open Door" hashtag. There's now an American addition:

"Parisians offered shelter to anyone caught up in or stranded in the chaos, setting Twitter alight with the hashtag #porteouverte — or “open door.” Americans echoed the charity with*#StrandedInUS."

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/paris-attacks-france-hollande-blames-isis

Also from the above link:

Philip Bromwell*@philipbromwell
The front pages from across France #Paris
View attachment 84364

That's very neat. I saw news of the 'open doors', magz, and your other great posts from yesterday. Thank you. That's Parisians asserting their humanity, owning it, one could say. I don't think I've ever heard of anything like it before there, spontaneously too.

:heartbeat:​

I say this with the utmost respect, but would it be ok if we take the current debate to another thread. JMO but I think that is a topic for another place, and certainly another time. Thanks very much.

I have another suggestion. Let's not have a debate at all. A terrorist act is a crime. So why not sleuth this one out the way we would do in other cases of mass murder and serial killings. In those discussions, we don't harp on the nice, law-abiding neighbors who live in similar dwellings on the same street as the killer. We focus on the KILLER. Who is he? Why does he kill? What's his past? What might he do next?

"In a video, ISIL called on Muslims to attack France.

"As long as you keep bombing you will not live in peace. You will even fear travelling to the market," said an Arabic-speaking man, flanked by others.
Alain Gresh: Why is the war on terror not working?

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said that France and other Western nations were at least partly responsible for the attacks, criticising Holland for turning a blind eye to its allies which supported anti-regime groups in Syria.

Alain Gresh, editor of the French Le Monde Diplomatique magazine, told Al Jazeera that he expected critics to start speaking out publicly about France's foreign policies after a day or two of national mourning.

"I think after one or two days, the criticism will begin," he said.

"We have been in this war against terror for years and years and [yet] we have more terror - this is a real problem."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/paris-attacks-151114194600771.html

It's true we've been fighting this war for years and haven't fixed anything, have we? But how do we help people who are simply the victims of the mess we've made while also fighting the people who mean to do great harm and terrorize the world? Al-Assad says we're partly responsible but what exactly does he want us to do?

I don't think killing their leaders one by one is the answer. All I have are questions.

It's true we've been fighting this war for years and haven't fixed anything, have we? But how do we help people who are simply the victims of the mess we've made while also fighting the people who mean to do great harm and terrorize the world? Al-Assad says we're partly responsible but what exactly does he want us to do?

I don't think killing their leaders one by one is the answer. All I have are questions.

BBM
I agree.
Killing their leaders only allows someone more ruthless and evil to fill the void.
This is the reason Israel never harmed Yaasir Arafat. They knew him and what he was capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member