Found Deceased France - Maëlys De Araujo, 9, Pont-de-Beauvoisin, 27 Aug 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So do I! The sentence is certainly quite convoluted in the original. I *think* that if it were saying that it hasn't been confirmed whether he was alone or not, I'd have written it differently ("seul à bord", or similar rather than "au volant uniquement"), but that's JMHO :).

And thank you for working so hard to keep the thread updated with the media links.

Another thing I noted from a different Dauphiné article is that his (closed) Facebook account had many pictures at the lake: hopefully this will give police & divers some ideas of places to concentrate on.

This is what makes translating so interesting! It doesn't work like a cookie factory, despite the online translators, you are in it with your own knowledge, preconceived ideas and tunnel vision. *selfdescription here* ;)
For me, the idea that he might have taken someone else's car was too new to be credible at first sight. IMHO this would have merited a new report: BREAKING: Did alleged abductor of young Maëlys borrow his mother's car? always assuming that there are probably not many people from whom he might borrow a car in the middle of the night.

Can't remember seeing anything about other cars being investigated, but I may have missed that.

VOLUNTEERS SEARCH FOR MAËLYS EVERY DAY

France Bleue
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/fai...us-les-jours-en-isere-et-en-savoie-1504692803

Eleven days since Maëlys, 9 years old, disappeared at a wedding party in Isère, the search for the missing girl has never been wavering. While the gendarmes are interested in a 34-year-old man, who has been under investigation and remanded in custody, volunteers are checking a large area in Isère and Savoie.

Eleven days after Maëlys' disappearance, on the night of August 26th to 27th in Pont de Beauvoisin (Isère) during a wedding party, the search continues. The gendarmes are interested in a 34-year-old man, who was put under investigation and remanded in custody at the Grenoble-Varces detention centre, and cover the wider area of the Pont-de-Beauvoisin, and other places such as Lake Aiguebelette. At the same time, volunteers are scouring a large area of tens of square kilometres in Isère and Savoie, an area that may contain clues to finding the 9-year-old girl.

Wearing a yellow vest, these walkers come from all over the valley. Every day, they focus on a new area. This time, it's in Savoie, about fifteen kilometres from the Pont-de-Beauvoisin, the Isere community where Maëlys disappeared. "We're in Aiguebelette, next to a campsite called Le Sougey," explains one participant with a stick in her hand. The area was not chosen at random. "It's full of forests, full of woods. If we look closely at what was said about the suspect... He had scratches on his arms and legs, so apart from the brambles, he couldn't have gotten those any other way," the participant concludes.

Walking in a bush, along a river, close to a pond or an area of groves. Citizen investigators exchange this type of information all day long in Facebook discussion groups dedicated to their investigations. One was launched shortly after the girl's disappearance. The other was launched during the first major citizen action campaign on September 2, when more than a thousand participants toured the Pont-de-Beauvoisin area.

On the social network, volunteers are offering themselves for the morning or afternoon. "You have to be organized. In principle, there is a single leader who says 'such and such a day at such and such an hour, we meet in such and such a place'. We choose the place and after we make an appointment, the leader gives some instructions" says one volunteer.

"We're here to look for clues, and Maëlys. Afterwards, the police and gendarmerie can deal with the suspect, with the further investigation. We're here as civilians. We make sure we do what we can do, we don't go beyond that. The gendarmes are not against these volunteer scourings, "everything action to find the girl is good," the investigators explain.

Of course, the volunteers talk about the suspect, but no commentary about the man is recorded on the microphone nor about Tuesday's search. All of them are there for Maëlys alone. "We're all someone's children, it can happen to anyone. I think the person who disappears will only be waiting for one thing: to be found. As long as there's no news, we'll keep going."

BBM

Bless them all. :takeabow:

So he wore these "shabby" shorts to this party...but then thought "oh, they are too old" and dashed home to change them?
As my grandmother used to say: "Be sure your sins will find you out".

Selon nos informations, le suspect a affirmé aux enquêteurs l'avoir jeté dans une poubelle sur la voie publique. "Au moment où il s’est changé, il a constaté que ce short était relativement détérioré (...) et indique l’avoir jeté", précise son avocat.

According to this article he threw away his stained shorts in a public bin! Why would he do this if he got changed at home?! Why would he wear old shorts to a wedding?

http://www.bfmtv.com/police-justice...ttendus-dans-les-prochains-jours-1250171.html

Another update from http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-nord/2017/09/06/maelys-le-lac-d-aiguebelette-sonde

"the divers have surveyed/probed the waters of the Aiguebelette lake in certain areas, close to the banks of Lépin-le-Lac. This is an area the suspect is known to have frequented before his incarceration Sunday night. According to our information, he spent his time in a cabin located on a plot overlooking the lake. His family even has a small boat."

Divers have also been searching the Guiers river in Saint-Beron. According to the following report, there have already been several searches here. It's also an area frequently visited by the subject.
http://france3-regions.francetvinfo...rs-sondent-nouveau-guiers-savoie-1322933.html

According to this article he threw away his stained shorts in a public bin! Why would he do this if he got changed at home?! Why would he wear old shorts to a wedding?

http://www.bfmtv.com/police-justice...ttendus-dans-les-prochains-jours-1250171.html

Doesn't necessarily have to be a public bin.

une poubelle sur la voie publique = a garbage can on the public road

The area is rural, and Domessin is a small village, it probably doesn't have many public bins. So he surely must remember where that bin was.

I am sleuthing the village now with Google maps ..... what looks like bins here:

domessin.jpg

They have these bins on various places in the village. Could it be that you have to take your garbage there? I see no garbage bins near the houses.

domessin2.jpg

domessin3.jpg

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/73...2!3m1!1s0x478b04a45656c97d:0xa1b8075ba921c3fb

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/73...2!3m1!1s0x478b04a45656c97d:0xa1b8075ba921c3fb

Is he suggesting that he lured her into his car with the promise of seeing dogs? And is he suggesting that another child may have been in his car at one time as well?

Pretty easy to ask that other child if that ever happened, right?

Si aucune trace d’ADN de la fillette n’a été retrouvée sur ses chaussures et sa chemise, le short reste lui introuvable.

No trace Or DNA was found on the suspect's shoes or shirt (not the girl's). And yes, he claims to have thrown his shorts away.

My husband and I have gone to a lot of weddings in the past 35 yrs of marriage. He has never once, gone home during the reception, taken off his shorts and thrown them away, then returned in new ones. Never. :no:

Doesn't necessarily have to be a public bin.

une poubelle sur la voie publique = a garbage can on the public road

The area is rural, and Domessin is a small village, it probably doesn't have many public bins. So he surely must remember where that bin was.

I am sleuthing the village now with Google maps ..... what looks like bins here:

View attachment 122746

They have these bins on various places in the village. Could it be that you have to take your garbage there? I see no garbage bins near the houses.

View attachment 122748

View attachment 122749

Haha! I'm right now reading up on garbage collection & bins in the village(s)!!

Tuesday is garbage pick-up day in the village where the suspect lives, and there are both the bins you posted AND individual ones for residences.

Garbage pick up is Monday in Pont de Beauvoisin.

ETA: there are three garbage dumps in the area, all managed by the same company, which also manages pick-up in both villages.

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-nord/2017/09/06/maelys-le-lac-d-aiguebelette-sonde

18:20: "While the search continues in the canyon of the Chailles gorges, straddling the communes of Saint-Béron and Saint-Franc, the Dauphiné Libéré has learned that the trunk of the suspect's Audi A3 was "cleaned" by high-pressure spraying with a product usually used to clean rims.
It would be a particularly effective product to remove any type of dirt and especially would affect the scenting capacity of [sniffer] dogs. A new troubling element in view of the suspect's military past [as a dog handler]".

BBM.

Hoping the garbage guys are on alert to look into the bins!!!

Hoping the garbage guys are on alert to look into the bins!!!

I've found an unofficial FB group of people who have been on the searches. I've just messaged the organizers to ask that very question.

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-nord/2017/09/06/maelys-le-lac-d-aiguebelette-sonde

photo-le-dl-michel-gandon-1504704368.jpg

photo-le-dl-michel-gandon.jpg

The divers surveyed the waters of Lake Aiguebelette in certain areas, near the banks of Lépin-le-Lac. That's where the 30-year-old habitually went before he was incarcerated Sunday night. According to our information, he was spending his time in a "hut" on a plot of land overlooking the lake. His family also owns a small boat.

BBM

Small boat on a deep lake.....

View attachment 122755

View attachment 122756

The divers surveyed the waters of Lake Aiguebelette in certain areas, near the banks of Lépin-le-Lac. That's where the 30-year-old habitually went before he was incarcerated Sunday night. According to our information, he was spending his time in a "hut" on a plot of land overlooking the lake. His family also owns a small boat.

BBM

Small boat on a deep lake.....

Yes :(. And used a cleaning product known to throw sniffer dogs off a scent :(.

So far, IMO, he *thinks* he's been very clever with all his "explanations". However, I think he's going to trip himself up.

I've spent a lot of time researching today, this is one case that has "grabbed" hold of me, although I usually try to avoid missing children's cases.

One positive, peripheral piece of information I have picked up today:

The lawyer representing Maelys' family (Maitre Fabien Rajon) has a very very good reputation, and is described as "ferocious" & "extremely tenacious" when he takes on a case.

He's ALSO a local mayor, and has EXCELLENT contacts, not only in legal, law enforcement areas but also politically: locally, regionally and right up to national level.

Yes :(. And used a cleaning product known to throw sniffer dogs off a scent :(.

So far, IMO, he *thinks* he's been very clever with all his "explanations". However, I think he's going to trip himself up.

Hmmm .... I am not so sure. I have dogs too and if I were to sell my car, I would have to go to great lengths to get rid of that smell. So perhaps this is a case of yet another innocent explanation.

Still, makes me wonder why someone who is so fussy about a little wine on some shorts would have dogs as a hobby and walk them near the muddy banks of a lake.

*sarcasm mode off*

I still don't think that he could have driven very far. Unless all he did was driving, but then he would not be in custody IMHO.
If he used the boat, isn't it more likely that he would have done that some time after his return to the party?

Hmmm .... I am not so sure. I have dogs too and if I were to sell my car, I would have to go to great lengths to get rid of that smell. So perhaps this is a case of yet another innocent explanation.

Still, makes me wonder why someone who is so fussy about a little wine on some shorts would have dogs as a hobby and walk them near the muddy banks of a lake.

*sarcasm mode off*

I still don't think that he could have driven very far. Unless all he did was driving, but then he would not be in custody IMHO.
If he used the boat, isn't it more likely that he would have done that some time after his return to the party
?

My sarcasm-metre agrees with yours ;).

BBM: this bothers me too. I'd like to pin down the timeline more precisely.

I've been combing through reports, and *think* that:

- the last confirmed sight of Maelys was ~1am (possibly in the parking lot?)
- the alarm was raised & people (wedding guests) started searching ~3am
- LE were called & arrived on site ~4am
- the wedding photographer (who had left ~9.30pm/21:30) was called to come back with his photos ~5am

- It was noticed & reported that NL left "around the time" Maelys went missing
- It isn't clear to me whether he returned before or after the alarm was raised
- it also isn't clear whether "around the time" Maelys went missing refers to last sighting (1am), or alarm raised (3am): there's a possible >2 hours right there!

So, depending whether he left the party closer to 1am or 3am, and depending on whether he arrived back at the party before or after 3am, the window of time/distances/what he might have done changes considerably and (unpleasantly) broadens the possibilities.

I'd also like to know what time he got home the second time, & what time he was up and about and washing the car, and what he was up to between that morning & being taken in for questioning on Thursday 31st. Also what he did/where he went during his brief release from questioning/custody.

(I'm sure that the gendarmes have worked a lot of this out & know a heck of a lot more than we do).

I'm going to clean this "thinking out loud" list up and try and turn it into a semblance of a timeline with relevant links, this evening.

ETA: Nearly forgot, I REALLY want to know whether the dogs were in his car or not, at the party. That's pretty huge, IMO, and if they weren't, his "explanation" for the DNA in his car is bovine doodoo, again JMO.

ETA2: because I've got too much running around my brain and it's turning into a sieve, do we know/has it been reported what year his Audi 3 is? I'm thinking about onboard electronics/GPS. Also wondering about the cellphone(s) & the possibility of google timeline... I guess the gendarmes & investigators know that too...

I am sure this has to do with translation issues---but something has me confused about the dogs and his car.

He said the kids went in the back seat to look in his trunk, to see if the dogs were there.

Who puts dogs in their trunk?

ETA:

BFMTV
http://www.bfmtv.com/police-justice/...e-1248816.html

The 34-year-old man claims that the girl had climbed into the car with another child to see if there were any dogs in the trunk.

The imprisoned man, who had a dog training business in the past, explains that Maëlys and another child would have entered his car in the backseat to see if his dogs were in the trunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member