GA - 8 dead after shootings at three spas, Atlanta, 16 Mar 2021 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My general understanding is that hate crime charges in general are rare because proscecutors must prove the assailant's state of mind.

Unless the assailant vocalizes the reason for the attack, or has social media posts it is difficult to establish a hate crime charge. For example, despite clear evidence of probable bias, the following crimes were not charged as hate crimes in my city:

A- Group targets Hispanics for violent street robberies- and eventually home invasion / murder. Victims claim that group was violent- even when they rapidly complied. Victims were beaten to the point of over kill if they did not understand English. Surveillance video shows gang scouting for Hispanic victims, but passing on whites and blacks.

The defense: Hispanics were targeted because they were more likely to carry cash. Non English speakers frustrated gang as they were forced to remain on site longer- thus more violence.

B- Group establishes a "crash pad." Black residents feel intimidated from walking by the house (a stuffed monkey is hung in a tree, certain rap music is played loud- only when black pedestrians pass). Black tow truck operator repossesses a resident's car and is shot to death. Shooter was reported to fly into a rage after he learned the driver was black.

The defense: My client did not hang the monkey in the tree as it was there before he moved in and does not personally play rap music for any reason. He was enraged because a particular car was being towed- not by who was towing it.

Last edited:
You have a point, and the Chosun Ilbo is comparable to Fox News from what I hear, so again - credibility is an issue here. However, if there are immigration issues, lack of translators willing to talk to the press or police, it may take a while to verify. But take the statement away for now. Still concerning that he shot up three separate Asian businesses instead of other, non-Asian businesses that might provide "tempting" services. Still concerning that the police were so nice and understanding about it. And while his hairstyle may have nothing to do with it, it doesn't help that the long hair with shaved sides is a Richard Spencer (and Hitler) style.

However, he may just be a regular guy with a hipster hairstyle - who killed 8 people at 3 separate Asian businesses.
My husband has family that lives in Woodstock, and that whole area has a bit of a hipster vibe. So, I think either (or both) reasons could be a real possibility.

PS. I would also like to note that my husband’s family does not know this guy. :D

This was an interesting article on why the Atlanta shootings is so hard to talk about:

It has become usual in many protests to say out loud the name of the one taken. “Apparently, family members have asked for that not to happen”. The article guesses it may be because they don’t want strangers speculating about their work at the massage spa. I’m thinking it could be cultural, too, where the family just wants to grieve in private.

The fact that if sex work has been going on, it’s an underground industry that is difficult to confirm. Those on the inside may not be forthcoming due to the illegality or of being shamed.

This community of victims (Asian women working in massage spas) “doesn’t necessarily garner the same kind of outrage and policy organization as other groups we’ve seen that face gun violence” (“other groups” who do garner more attention, examples given: white school children, or Black men in the streets being gunned down by police officers.)

Why the Atlanta Shooting Is So Hard to Talk About

Last edited:
This was an interesting article on why the Atlanta shootings is so hard to talk about:

It has become usual in many protests to say out loud the name of the one taken. “Apparently, family members have asked for that not to happen”. The article guesses it may be because they don’t want strangers speculating about their work at the massage spa. I’m thinking it could be cultural, too, where the family just wants to grieve in private.

The fact that if sex work has been going on, it’s an underground industry that is difficult to confirm. Those on the inside may not be forthcoming due to the illegality or of being shamed.

This community of victims (Asian women working in massage spas) “doesn’t necessarily garner the same kind of outrage and policy organization as other groups we’ve seen that face gun violence” (“other groups who do garner more attention, examples given: white school children, or Black men in the streets being gunned down by police officers.)

Why the Atlanta Shooting Is So Hard to Talk About
Also, there might be survivors working in the business who do not want any attention on their work or living conditions as they fear getting in legal trouble. I think there might be circling of wagons, to use an American expression for a universal practice.

jmo

MOO - It feels like because yet another shocking mass shooting has now occurred (King Soopers, Boulder, CO) this one in Atlanta with its difficult to cover victims is already being overshadowed in the news by the one in Boulder.

Two mass shootings within a week. Just as I was beginning to feel more hope for us for coming out of the pandemic, back to normal in the way of shootings seems to have come back, too. How can we feel safe? - MOO

Article in Korean:
애틀랜타 총격 용의자, 아시안 관련발언 안했나? - 애틀랜타-미국 뉴스 Atlanta K

Put through Google Translate:
Google Translate

The translation via Google Translate is kinda clumsy, so it’s difficult to get a clear idea of what the article is stating at times.

So, WHAT I THINK THE ARTICLE IS SAYING (all caps just to warn since I am not certain, just trying to understand the translated version) is that there is question on whether or not the shooter stated what was reported in some reports, something about the shooter saying he wanted to kill Asians as he carried out his attack.

There was 2 survivors at the Gold Spa. One, Kim Mo, did not hear the shooter say anything at all. The other (who I guess is the one quoted in the media about the killing Asians comment by the shooter) has immigration status issues and isn’t speaking.

There are two women survivors at the Aromatherapy spa, one of whom called 911 (named Mina), and so it is expected they should provide information as to whether or not the shooter said anything.

And from the same Korean news site, which is called AtlantaK, is an account from Kim Mo, survivor from Gold Spa. Really poor translation, yet I could tell and feel how terrifying it was and now this person is suffering survivors guilt.

From the article, thru Google Translate:
“Mr. Kim said, “All three of my favorite people were killed in the shooting.” “Especially, I was really like a sister with my older sister (Kim Hyun-jung), who has two sons. I can't bear it because I think I built it,” he cried.”

note: I’m not sure whether Kim Mo is a woman or a man. I think Google Translate has trouble with it and mixes up gender. That’s part of why it’s hard to follow, IMO.

original, in Korean:
https://atlantak.com/단독-골드스파-총격-생존-한인여성-인터뷰/

Google Translated page:

Google Translate

By Wednesday, Atlanta K had reported that the four victims of Korean descent were in their fifties, sixties, and seventies. Of the four, only one woman provided massage services to customers. The other “old-time workers” performed secondary tasks: opening doors, keeping up the space, and providing food for colleagues. Some of the women lived, ate, and slept at the spa, and not all carried US citizenship. Subsequent coverage from Korea Daily revealed they were mostly “subsistence workers,” some of whom didn’t have relatives in the US. Such details hinted at their shared isolation and insecurity. They were so close to one another that their children would call their mothers’ colleagues “aunties.””
https://www.cjr.org/local_news/atlanta-shooting-local-korean-news.php
Covering the Atlanta massacre from inside the Korean community

So interesting an article for its discussion on the Korean local news’ coverage of the Atlanta shootings, and how it differed from the national media outlets.

Dept of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Northern District of Georgia

Friday, March 26, 2021

here’s one paragraph of their statement:
With respect to the tragic and horrific shooting of eight victims in Atlanta, the FBI, the USAO for the Northern District of Georgia, and the Civil Rights Division are fully supporting the state investigation into the tragic events of March 16th, while independently assessing whether the shootings involved a federal hate crime. Experienced civil rights prosecutors and agents are assessing all of the evidence and will continue to examine all evidence related to the shooter’s motivation.”

Federal law enforcement leaders address hate crimes and racism targeting the AAPI community

I’ve been trying to find U.S. Chinese media news reports. I found this one from the World Journal, which is Taiwanese, which Wikipedia says is the largest Chinese language newspaper in the U.S.

translation of the beginning:
The Asian women who were killed in the Atlanta massage shop and spa shooting came to the United States in search of a better life. Several of them followed the path of women who had immigrated to the United States and took multiple jobs to develop their lives in the United States.”

There was one woman who even was awarded the Presidential Volunteer Service Award once for her service towards the homeless and other public welfare! What a stellar person.

These sounded like kind women. Of course, no one ever deserves what happened to them. But when you read these stories to learn a bit about these victims’ lives, it all the more makes me sad, smh and think, “They really did not deserve this.”

original
亞裔女性亞城槍案遇害 凸顯艱難移民之路 | 世界新聞網

Through Google Translate
Google Translate

(note: I thank those of you looking at my posts on this thread. I know I’m about the only one still posting on this thread, but I am just trying to do my bit to not let these people be forgotten. :(:oops:)

Last edited:
Atlanta spa owner Xiaojie Tan remembered for kindness
xiaojie-tan-25.jpeg

Xiaojie Tan, victim of the massage parlor shooting.
''Xiaojie “Emily” Tan was saving for a dream retirement that included traveling the world. Bullets ended that dream when Tan was gunned down two days before her 50th birthday in the spa she owned outside Atlanta.

Tan was one of eight victims, six of whom were Asian women, killed in a rampage across three day spas. The accused shooter, 21-year-old Robert Aaron Long, who blamed the rampage on his “sex addiction,” is now facing charges including “malice murder” for the attacks.

A few dozen friends and relatives of Tan gathered at the Catholic Church of St. Ann in Marietta, Georgia, to say farewell earlier this week. The service was streamed online.''

Some of the women lived, ate, and slept at the spa,

That is not a good sign at all.

"Employees" being forced or coerced to live at, and rarely leave their place of employment " is a red flag indicator for trafficking.

In short, some of these victims could well have been dual victims in that they were both trafficked and later murdered in a shooting rampage.

There is nothing said about being forced or coerced. Where are you getting your information?

The O/P MOO was just stating that there is a situation of such which has been linked to trafficking. (forced/coerced)

I don't believe that the poster said this has been in the media that it is a definite to this case nor has been said by LE to be the case. They stated "could have".

MOO O/P just offered a consideration for WSers. Which yes, it is perhaps a red flag from stats as to trafficking.

""Employees" being forced or coerced to live at, and rarely leave their place of employment " is a red flag indicator for trafficking."

Employers sometimes offer accomodations at their businesses for no or little rent. Other than it makes it hard to call in sick I always found it a wonderful option. One of the victims was the owner of one of the establishments.

This article is from 2019 and NOT about the GA spas, but more in general. Very interesting and revealing read! IMO

A couple of quotes from it regarding the issue of workers living at the spas:

“Brad said workers sometimes live in his spa, but that he only lets them if they don't have anywhere else to stay. They usually pay about $10 a day, he said.”

“John, a jack-of-all-trades who provides everything from chauffeur services to tax help to several Asian massage parlors in southern California, estimated that about a quarter of massage workers in the Los Angeles area sleep in the parlors.Workers live at the spa, willingly, because it is cheaper than typical rent and it doesn't lock them into a long term commitment," he said.”
https://www.vice.com/en/article/ywa...ndings-give-these-sex-workers-a-decent-living
What Really Goes on Inside 'Happy Ending' Massage Parlors

Employers sometimes offer accomodations at their businesses for no or little rent. Other than it makes it hard to call in sick I always found it a wonderful option. One of the victims was the owner of one of the establishments.
I am assuming the accommodations were more like a cot in a back room.

jmo

And from the same article, re the assertion of the workers being forced to do this work:

“Despite Lisa's broad assertions, some people are forced to do this work against their will. The New York Times reported that a 60-year-old Taiwanese worker "was lured into working at a massage parlor in New York," had her passport taken away, and was forced to provide sexual services. But there's very little evidence it's as widespread as media depictions might suggest.”

What Really Goes on Inside 'Happy Ending' Massage Parlors

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artificiallife86