GA - 8 dead after shootings at three spas, Atlanta, 16 Mar 2021 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
FBI Director Christopher Wray told NPR Tuesday’s Atlanta-area shootings that killed eight people — six of whom were Asian-American — do not seem to be linked to race, backing up local police who say the alleged shooter was probably motivated by a sex addiction rather than racial animus, a theory that’s drawn skepticism and pushback from some corners.

FBI Director Says Atlanta Shooting ‘Does Not Appear’ Racially Motivated

FBI Director Christopher Wray told NPR Tuesday’s Atlanta-area shootings that killed eight people — six of whom were Asian-American — do not seem to be linked to race, backing up local police who say the alleged shooter was probably motivated by a sex addiction rather than racial animus, a theory that’s drawn skepticism and pushback from some corners.

FBI Director Says Atlanta Shooting ‘Does Not Appear’ Racially Motivated

Welcome to Websleuths @yahaint

Thanks for sharing the article. I am glad the FBI is looking at this case and assisting in the determination of whether or not these senseless murders were a hate crime.

From the article:

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said it’s hard to ignore most of the victims were Asian, especially considering that nationwide reports of anti-Asian hate crimes spiked last year, though she noted the matter is still being investigated.

CHIEF CRITIC
“He claims that it was not racially motivated, that this was based on some sex addiction, but I'm taking that with a grain of salt,” Bottoms told CNN Wednesday. “This is a man who murdered eight people in cold blood, so it's very difficult to believe what he says.”

If he went there specifically to shot the Asian women working at the spas - why did he shoot customers? The contractor installing a shelf? The man in critical condition that wasn’t even inside the place but walking to another business?

Was he in such a rage that he shot anyone in his path?

Last edited:
Without making this a political debate or bringing up other cases, do we think the shooter thought he would get out of this alive? Or was he expecting to be killed by police during one of his shootings? The more I read about how he just unloaded on everyone in these shops it seems really unhinged.

Without making this a political debate or bringing up other cases, do we think the shooter thought he would get out of this alive? Or was he expecting to be killed by police during one of his shootings? The more I read about how he just unloaded on everyone in these shops it seems really unhinged.
I think he consciously or unconsciously was ending his life - which a long prison sentences essentially does.

It's a "suicide" of sorts, destroying his current failed life (in his eye) for a new life where he can't fail because he'll be a prisoner with every move dictated to him.

jmo

Last edited:
MOD NOTE:

This thread is about a heinous crime that took the lives of 8 people.
This is NOT the place to opine or debate the political motivations of the suspect UNTIL it is established, most likely during the trial. Discussing and debating the words and actions of former and current political figures are NOT PERMITTED. That sort of discussion will derail this thread and will be shut down.

If you come upon posts that do that, please report them as violations of Websleuths TOS that we all agreed to when we joined. Please DO NOT reply to those posts to debate them as that perpetuates the violations that you too will be guilty of. Members who ignore the TOS will find themselves with a loss of posting privileges.

THANK YOU for participating in a responsible respectful way that these victims deserve.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

How do we know he was racist? Could he have simply used these message parlors because they were convenient to his home, work, therapy sessions?
Killer - Yes
Misogynist - Yes.
Racist - Unknown until proof is available.
Hate crime - Unknown until proof is available.

While the discussion of the challenges facing Asian women, the dismissive stereotypes, and the hardships the Asian community faces, especially Asian illegal immigrants, is very important...

It is also very important that people in positions of power (Mayor of Atlanta/Biden/Harris) do not use this case to weaponize a discussion of racism. Since that has not been proven yet, to be associated with this case.
6/8 victims being Asian, targeting Asian businesses while bypassing non-Asian strip clubs, an eyewitness reported by Korean news to have heard him yell that he wanted to kill Asians and racist social media posts make it very clear to me that this was a racist hate-crime, and he can have more than one motive at a time such as misogyny as well.

Welcome to Websleuths @yahaint

Thanks for sharing the article. I am glad the FBI is looking at this case and assisting in the determination of whether or not these senseless murders were a hate crime.

From the article:

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said it’s hard to ignore most of the victims were Asian, especially considering that nationwide reports of anti-Asian hate crimes spiked last year, though she noted the matter is still being investigated.

CHIEF CRITIC
“He claims that it was not racially motivated, that this was based on some sex addiction, but I'm taking that with a grain of salt,” Bottoms told CNN Wednesday. “This is a man who murdered eight people in cold blood, so it's very difficult to believe what he says.
BBM. Bingo! Criminals usually lie about their motive, so it's not surprising.

If he went there specifically to shot the Asian women working at the spas - why did he shoot customers? The contractor installing a shelf? The man in critical condition that wasn’t even inside the place but walking to another business?

Was he in such a rage that he shot anyone in his path?
Seems like it. It appears to me that the other two were "collateral damage" to him, in the wrong place at the wrong time. They weren't who he was targeting, but that he was in a blind rage by then.

I think he consciously or unconsciously was ending his life - which a long prison sentences essentially does.

It's a "suicide" of sorts, destroying his current failed life (in his eye) for a new life where he can't fail because he'll be a prisoner with every move dictated to him.

jmo
Well he'll get housed and fed. I've heard the term referred to as "3hots and a cot". Doesn't ever have to provide for himself anymore.

Sources: Feds have no evidence yet for GA hate crime charge

Federal investigators have so far not found evidence that clears the high bar for federal hate crime charges against a man who has been accused of killing eight people at three Atlanta-area massage businesses, two law enforcement officials told The Associated Press.

Though investigators have not ruled out ultimately filing hate crime charges, they face legal constraints in doing so. Federal statutes require prosecutors to prove that the victims were targeted because of specific factors, like race, gender identity, religion, national origin or sexual orientation, or the suspect infringed on a federally or constitutionally protected activity. To successfully prosecute a hate crimes case, prosecutors typically seek tangible evidence, such as the suspect expressing racism in text messages, in internet posts or to witnesses.

As a person who is also in danger of violence just by virtue of my appearance these days, and who doesn't have a murderous child, I sympathize.

I'm terribly sorry you are experiencing that fear. I respect you and your commitment to your ethics on this board. It's always a pleasure to read your responses.

BTW...In response to your previous post. Please link a MSM that state this killer shouted something about killing Asians. I remember it being posted somewhere on the day of this attack, but I can't seem to find it. Perhaps it was retracted?

Last edited:
I'm terribly sorry you are experiencing that fear. I respect you and your commitment to your ethics on this board. It's always a pleasure to read your responses.

BTW...In response to your previous post. Please link a MSM that state this killer shouted something about killing Asians. I remember it being posted somewhere on the day of this attack, but I can't seem to find it. Perhaps it was retracted?
Thanks for your kind words, and I do mean that.

Here's an MSM link: Atlanta shootings put spotlight on surging anti-Asian sentiment in America | KXAN Austin
It's important to note that this MSM source is quoting reporting from a South Korean language newspaper. That in and of itself is not making the eyewitness less credible, if that witness spoke Korean and only felt safe speaking to a reporter who also speaks Korean.

But suppose he didn't say it, and I was wrong. That doesn't mean race wasn't a factor, and it definitely doesn't excuse the very deferential tone taken by law enforcement towards this "bad day". It's possible to be blind to your own biases, especially in an environment where hatred, blame, and ridicule against one country was normalized at the highest level of government, and not many people bother to tell the difference between ethnic groups. Double this blindness if you grew up accustomed to thinking of a group of women as being "dolls" who serve men. Triple it if you have contempt for sex workers, period. Quadruple it if "boys will be boys" is a motto you grew up with, especially if that grace was only extended to one group of boys, while others got punished.

Last edited:

It was reported in a Korean newspaper in Atlanta, which makes sense to me. It's entirely possible the witnesses might not be comfortable talking to reporters outside the Korean community.

Here's the quote:

"A total of eight people were killed and one injured in a series of shootings in Atlanta, Georgia, and three nearby Asian massage parlors on the afternoon of the 16th (local time). A local Korean media reported that he made a remark of 'I will do this.'

On the 17th, the Hankook Ilbo, Atlanta, quoted an employee A, a member of the 'Gold Massage Spa', a massage parlor where the shooting took place, and said that the suspect at the time of the crime said that he would 'kill all Asians'. It is known that Mr. A was in the store at the time of the shooting, but managed to evacuate and then conveyed the information to a nearby Korean business."

“애틀랜타 총격 범인, 아시아인 다 죽이겠다 말해”

The original publication( the r*ddit and blogs and a few minor MSM have picked up) is this one if you drill down to find the source that went "mini-viral" in some areas of the net. There have been no other references other than "according to a Korean site" in US MSM. MOO.

“애틀랜타 총격 범인, 아시아인 다 죽이겠다 말해”

(I googled the media outlet: "The Chosun Ilbo (Korean: 조선일보; Hanja: 朝鮮日報) is a leading daily newspaper in South Korea and the oldest daily newspaper in the country. and Hankook Ilbo is another Korean daily"

This is through Google translation of a portion of the above article:

On the 17th, the Hankook Ilbo, Atlanta, quoted A, an employee at the “Gold Massage Spa,” a massage parlor where the shooting took place, and said that the suspect at the time of the crime “will kill all Asians”. It is known that Mr. A was in the store at the time of the shooting, but managed to evacuate and then conveyed the information to a nearby Korean business.

According to the media, the police visited a nearby Korean business and advised business owners to close the door, saying that it may be a hate crime targeting Asians........"

ETA: I see that @Inthedetails cross posted.. JINX! . so we're both on target MOO

Last edited:
Yelp is showing Hankook Ilbo, Atlanta as "location closed". Korea Times website is not showing an Atlanta or Georgia location. The phone # listed on websites referencing Hankook Ilbo, Atlanta is inactive.

Pretty poor source if you ask me. If there was any validity to the claim you would think the mainstream media would have verified the source, the witness and their story by now not to mention the authorities.

Last edited:
Yelp is showing Hankook Ilbo, Atlanta as "location closed". Korea Times website is not showing an Atlanta or Georgia location. The phone # listed on websites referencing Hankook Ilbo, Atlanta is inactive.

Pretty poor source if you ask me. If there was any validity to the claim you would think the mainstream media would have verified the source, the witness and their story by now not to mention the authorities.

You have a point, and the Chosun Ilbo is comparable to Fox News from what I hear, so again - credibility is an issue here. However, if there are immigration issues, lack of translators willing to talk to the press or police, it may take a while to verify. But take the statement away for now. Still concerning that he shot up three separate Asian businesses instead of other, non-Asian businesses that might provide "tempting" services. Still concerning that the police were so nice and understanding about it. And while his hairstyle may have nothing to do with it, it doesn't help that the long hair with shaved sides is a Richard Spencer (and Hitler) style.

However, he may just be a regular guy with a hipster hairstyle - who killed 8 people at 3 separate Asian businesses.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back