GA - 8 dead after shootings at three spas, Atlanta, 16 Mar 2021 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
<modsnip>

It’s weird how some are so vested in proving it’s not that big of a issue in our country. I think they’d be negligent if they didn’t discuss racism in connection with a mass murder like this. And again, they never said it was a hate crime. They were just explaining that at a time when there’s a lot of hate-based violence perpetrated against Asians, this massacre has caused a lot of concern.

I think that’s fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he went there specifically to shot the Asian women working at the spas - why did he shoot customers? The contractor installing a shelf? The man in critical condition that wasn’t even inside the place but walking to another business?

Was he in such a rage that he shot anyone in his path?

That’s so often how it goes with these cases. The murderer has a target and ends up mowing down whoever else is in the way.

Without making this a political debate or bringing up other cases, do we think the shooter thought he would get out of this alive? Or was he expecting to be killed by police during one of his shootings? The more I read about how he just unloaded on everyone in these shops it seems really unhinged.

I think most mass shooters expect to be caught and killed. Except snipers.

In my opinion this reminds me of the Diol family murders in Colorado. Even though investigators stated throughout their months long investigation there was no evidence of a bias motive those who were committed to the narrative, both community leaders and followers online, insisted it be labelled a hate crime. Even once the murderers were caught and motive finally revealed, drug-related retribution at the wrong address, some still struggled with the lack of bias, my opinion.

I think more often, people struggle with the reality of bias.

You have a point, and the Chosun Ilbo is comparable to Fox News from what I hear, so again - credibility is an issue here. However, if there are immigration issues, lack of translators willing to talk to the press or police, it may take a while to verify. But take the statement away for now. Still concerning that he shot up three separate Asian businesses instead of other, non-Asian businesses that might provide "tempting" services. Still concerning that the police were so nice and understanding about it. And while his hairstyle may have nothing to do with it, it doesn't help that the long hair with shaved sides is a Richard Spencer (and Hitler) style.

However, he may just be a regular guy with a hipster hairstyle - who killed 8 people at 3 separate Asian businesses.

It's been reported that this killer knew these businesses as a patron. If so, wouldn't that suggest a more personal reasoning, and I use that term loosely, on his part.
As far as his hair... It's like suggesting any black man with dreads is a Rastafarian.
I don't think anyone on this thread has defended the Sheriff's statement. Again, that doesn't mean first responders and anyone in LE, has been nice to him. After all, police men and women are human beings and to think of the carnage they saw when entering that kind of scene is beyond horrific and the stuff of nightmares.

Last edited:
It's been reported that this killer knew these businesses as a patron. If so, wouldn't that suggest a more personal reasoning, and I use that term loosely, on his part.
As far as his hair... It's like suggesting any black man with dreads is a Rastafarian.
I don't think anyone on this thread has defended the Sheriff's statement. Again, that doesn't mean first responders and anyone in LE, has been nice to him. After all, police men and women are human beings and to think of the carnage they saw when entering that kind of scene is beyond horrific and the stuff of nightmares.

I agree, though not to nitpick - being a Rastafarian is not an inherently bad thing, whereas being like Richard Spencer is, in my opinion. However, we don't know about this guy's affiliations.

I think more often, people struggle with the reality of bias.

I know that I reflect on my own self biases sooooooooooooooooooo much more in the last 20 years, and exponentially in the last year. Bias is inherent in all MOO. It's what makes us who we are. Nothing wrong with having a bias, unless the bias turns out to be so wrong and/or you feel the need to shake it.

I grew up in an environment that was from the 50's era in the south... 'nuff said without going into as I'm sure many can read between the lines.

I specifically moved into an area over 20 years ago which is one of the most diverse areas as to the demographics.... purposefully. I.just.love.it. here!!!! It's a wonderful eye opening experience to learn from and to respect others... and share commonalities.

Baby steps perhaps for the nation. And I just this am when I was going through one of my social media feeds... it is soooooooooooooooo apparent the algorithms that are fed to me. I just want to go to the times of general news, and not get reinforcements as to what I have looked up online, or sent an email on, or purchased in the recent past.

I really do think that social media algorithms, on TOP of the pandemic... have affected many who cannot discern what is happening. And yes, I do believe that there are t**lls from governments and others (as was cited in this weeks fed release) that are out there just to sway opinion. Heck, "influencers" have been paid for just mainstream commercial products for YEARS...

I could write so much more, but too much and I'm not good at communicating..... so ....

ETA: I've stopped watching one of the shows that was a long one daily with talking heads. I'm now watching a neutral fact only 30 minute show for news on television. If, from that, I want more, I'll search on my own terms. I want broad based facts from all areas of interest. I don't want algorithms that feed me MOO

Last edited:
<modsnip>

It’s weird how some are so vested in proving it’s not that big of a issue in our country. I think they’d be negligent if they didn’t discuss racism in connection with a mass murder like this. And again, they never said it was a hate crime. They were just explaining that at a time when there’s a lot of hate-based violence perpetrated against Asians, this massacre has caused a lot of concern.

I think that’s fair.
Thank you for your post.

I read a piece where a woman wrote on being Asian in the US, “Our world minimizes us and we minimize ourselves.” Too often, Asians feel left out of the conversation in this country when it comes to discussions of race relations. Many don’t want to speak out out of fear. Yet, they need to hear this country recognizes their concerns and fears, and not dismiss them. They need voices. IMO

I know that I reflect on my own self biases sooooooooooooooooooo much more in the last 20 years, and exponentially in the last year. Bias is inherent in all MOO. It's what makes us who we are. Nothing wrong with having a bias, unless the bias turns out to be so wrong and/or you feel the need to shake it.

I grew up in an environment that was from the 50's era in the south... 'nuff said without going into as I'm sure many can read between the lines.

I specifically moved into an area over 20 years ago which is one of the most diverse areas as to the demographics.... purposefully. I.just.love.it. here!!!! It's a wonderful eye opening experience to learn from and to respect others... and share commonalities.

Baby steps perhaps for the nation. And I just this am when I was going through one of my social media feeds... it is soooooooooooooooo apparent the algorithms that are fed to me. I just want to go to the times of general news, and not get reinforcements as to what I have looked up online, or sent an email on, or purchased in the recent past.

I really do think that social media algorithms, on TOP of the pandemic... have affected many who cannot discern what is happening. And yes, I do believe that there are t**lls from governments and others (as was cited in this weeks fed release) that are out there just to sway opinion. Heck, "influencers" have been paid for just mainstream commercial products for YEARS...

I could write so much more, but too much and I'm not good at communicating..... so ....

ETA: I've stopped watching one of the shows that was a long one daily with talking heads. I'm now watching a neutral fact only 30 minute show for news on television. If, from that, I want more, I'll search on my own terms. I want broad based facts from all areas of interest. I don't want algorithms that feed me MOO

Thank you for your post.

I read a piece where a woman wrote on being Asian in the US, “Our world minimizes us and we minimize ourselves.” Too often, Asians feel left out of the conversation in this country when it comes to discussions of race relations. Many don’t want to speak out out of fear. Yet, they need to hear this country recognizes their concerns and fears, and not dismiss them. They need voices. IMO

Really great posts, dixiegirl and slowpoke. I have been coming to my own reckoning, as a dark-skinned Asian-American educator who has to acknowledge the hate in this country AND who has to acknowledge my own privileges and the role I play in maintaining inequality. I have to think about how I can re-engage in better ways, so that relationships are better across ethnicities and across generations. Our young people - of all skin colors and ancestries - deserve our best effort to change the script and the power structures. I believe our future years as old folks will be better for it, too.

Without sincerity and facts, instead of opinions and suppositions being the foundation of an open dialogue about the problem of racism...then it will be a continuing issue.

I don't agree with "instead of" comment. At the outset of discussion... I believe that opinions and suppositions is EXACTLY what is needed with such.

MOO

And I also support this is indeed a continuing issue for discussion amongst many in rl.

But, I've learned..... best not to be out after midnight (on thread) as my mama used to say.

Without sincerity and facts, instead of opinions and suppositions being the foundation of an open dialogue about the problem of racism...then it will be a continuing issue.
Compassion for the oppressed goes a long way. There are times to open our ears, hearts, and minds....and keep our mouths closed while others tell their experiences. Quietly listening takes guts.

jmo

Couldn't agree more. I would add as a relevancy confirmation bias. Psychology Today:

Confirmation bias occurs from the direct influence of desire on beliefs. When people would like a certain idea or concept to be true, they end up believing it to be true. They are motivated by wishful thinking. This error leads the individual to stop gathering information when the evidence gathered so far confirms the views or prejudices one would like to be true.

Once we have formed a view, we embrace information that confirms that view while ignoring, or rejecting, information that casts doubt on it. Confirmation bias suggests that we don’t perceive circumstances objectively. We pick out those bits of data that make us feel good because they confirm our prejudices. Thus, we may become prisoners of our assumptions.

A good article about bias and misinformation some points of which were touched on by a previous poster:
Biases Make People Vulnerable to Misinformation Spread by Social Media

I agree. I don’t like having facts/news interpreted for me. I want it to be neutral as well. And it’s totally true that we are fed what the algorithms think we like. So it’s confirmation bias.

Luckily I have friends with a super wide range of beliefs/persuasions, etc. so I see what others are getting as well. But it’s easy to fall into the trap of taking opinion or memes or whatever, as fact. It happened to me. Now I know- check your source!

Thank you for your post.

Yeah. I think that was the point. Just letting a population know that they’re being heard and valued.

A full-blooded Chinese physician who was born in the US to immigrant parents saved my life 20 yrs ago. Without his brilliant medical skills, I would have died from a very fast spreading breast cancer that normally killed 80% of women in the first 5 years. Super doctor and researcher. It's not too much to ask people to do a little work and rid themselves of bias against people of other races and ethnicities.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imdoey
Back