GA - 8 dead after shootings at three spas, Atlanta, 16 Mar 2021 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just came across this article from earlier last year. Georgia does have the death penalty for murder, but this article says must have factors. (Come to think of it, this is from January 2020.... and the hate crime statute hadn't been passed at that time.... will need to look up more later)

5 things to know: Death Row and the death penalty in Georgia

2. Only three crimes in Georgia are punishable by death: Treason, aircraft hijacking and murder (with one of the aggravating circumstances listed below):

1. The offender has a prior capital conviction.
  2. The offender was in the process of committing another capital crime, aggravated battery, burglary, or arson.
  3. The offender used or possessed a weapon or device capable of causing significant harm to more than one person simultaneously.
  4. The offender committed offense for monetary gain.
  5. The victim was or had been a judicial officer, district attorney, or solicitor general, and was murdered for reasons relating to their employment as such.
  6. The offender hired another to commit the murder or committed it for hire.
  7. The victim was tortured.
  8. The victim was a law enforcement officer or firefighter and was performing his/her official duties.
  9. The offender was in the custody of, or had escaped from, law enforcement or a correctional facility.
  10. The offender was resisting arrest.
  11. The offender had a prior conviction for rape, aggravated sodomy, aggravated child molestation, or aggravated sexual battery.

I am thinking that if my son was a racist misogynist with killer tendencies, I would probably kick him out.

But that’s just me.

Well, true. But I haven't seen any evidence that they knew he was a racist misogynist potential killer the night before.

It makes me wonder if the kicking out was the stressor that provoked the shootings.

Well, true. But I haven't seen any evidence that they knew he was a racist misogynist potential killer the night before.

It makes me wonder if the kicking out was the stressor that provoked the shootings.

I don’t buy into “snapping” and suddenly murdering 8 people. We snap and kick the wall or yell at the kids or the dog.

This level of hate and depravity started long before the night his parents kicked him out.

jmo

I don’t buy into “snapping” and suddenly murdering 8 people. We snap and kick the wall or yell at the kids or the dog.

This level of hate and depravity started long before the night his parents kicked him out.

jmo

I agree that the hate and depravity started long earlier, but something made him act on it at this particular moment.

Slain spa worker toiled tirelessly to support her family

“The situation has been harrowing for Park, who said he has not been able to claim his mother's body from the medical examiner's office because of a complication with her last name, which is legally Grant. Park said that name is from a marriage he does not recall, and he can't find papers showing a separation to prove that he is the next of kin.”

How horrible. Such a tragic situation for her two sons and an unknown marriage issue to straighten out so they can claim their beloved mother’s body.

Would Mr Grant be the legal beneficiary in that case? I think the crowdfunding is over $2 million now.

Last edited:
I agree that the hate and depravity started long earlier, but something made him act on it at this particular moment.

We do know the parents made the 911 call to report that the shooter might be their son. I don’t get the feeling they had turned their backs on him. If we are exploring recent triggers in Long’s life, I would look at the recent collapse of his relationship with his girlfriend due to his frequenting of massage parlors.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...97cdca-87fe-11eb-8a8b-5cf82c3dffe4_story.html

I am thinking that if my son was a racist misogynist with killer tendencies, I would probably kick him out.

But that’s just me.

How do we know he was racist? Could he have simply used these message parlors because they were convenient to his home, work, therapy sessions?
Killer - Yes
Misogynist - Yes.
Racist - Unknown until proof is available.
Hate crime - Unknown until proof is available.

While the discussion of the challenges facing Asian women, the dismissive stereotypes, and the hardships the Asian community faces, especially Asian illegal immigrants, is very important...

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno, I think being kicked out of my parents' house would make me think they'd turned their back on me.

Not placing blame on the parents. I'm very curious to know why they kicked him out of the house.

We really don’t know if he was kicked out. That was reported by an anonymous caller. From the WaPo article:

Moments later, another, anonymous caller told police that Long “was kicked out of his parents’ house last night,” according to a log of 911 calls. The caller added that Long “was emotional.”

Other 911 calls soon trickled in. Some callers said they knew the shooter by name. A woman called police shortly before 8 p.m. to say the suspect looked like Aaron Long, her old co-worker. As a result of the coronavirus pandemic, he had been furloughed from a company that installs trade show exhibits, the 911 call log noted. Reached by a reporter, the woman declined further comment. The company did not respond to requests for comment about Long.

How do we know he was racist? Could he have simply used these message parlors because they were convenient to his home, work, therapy sessions?
Killer - Yes
Misogynist - Yes.
Racist - Unknown until proof is available.
Hate crime - Unknown until proof is available.

While the discussion of the challenges facing Asian women, the dismissive stereotypes, and the hardships the Asian community faces, especially Asian illegal immigrants, is very important...

It is also very important that people in positions of power (Mayor of Atlanta/Biden/Harris) do not use this case to weaponize a discussion of racism. Since that has not been proven yet, to be associated with this case.

Why are you concerned that people in positions of power are invoking a discussion of racism?

We really don’t know if he was kicked out. That was reported by an anonymous caller. From the WaPo article:

Moments later, another, anonymous caller told police that Long “was kicked out of his parents’ house last night,” according to a log of 911 calls. The caller added that Long “was emotional.”

Other 911 calls soon trickled in. Some callers said they knew the shooter by name. A woman called police shortly before 8 p.m. to say the suspect looked like Aaron Long, her old co-worker. As a result of the coronavirus pandemic, he had been furloughed from a company that installs trade show exhibits, the 911 call log noted. Reached by a reporter, the woman declined further comment. The company did not respond to requests for comment about Long.

Thanks! Somehow I missed the "anonymous caller" part.

Interesting! I've been waiting for his employment info. Thanks.

jmo

The first spa targeted in the Atlanta-area killings this week was in an area familiar to Robert Aaron Long. It is within a mile of an evangelical treatment facility where he spent time for what he described as “sex addiction."

https://washingtonpost.com/religion/2021/03/19/robert-aaron-long-evangelical-treatment-facility-sex-addiction/?tid=ss_tw…

For researchers like Nicole Prause, there is another reason to be skeptical of his self-described “sexual addiction”: There is no scientific consensus that such a diagnosis exists.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/18/sex-addiction-atlanta-shooting-long/

I don’t know a lot about the intricacies of medically diagnosed addictions, but I do know that there’s a significant amount of ambiguity about how the DSM characterizes a repetitive behavior as an addiction. For example, pathological gambling is recognized by the DSM as an addiction (aka “Gambling Disorder”) but pathological internet, video gaming, and sexual behaviors are not recognized as addiction disorders.

I also know there are some rehab facilities that treat “sex addictions” using the same methods they use to treat drug and alcohol addictions. Sex Addicts Anonymous is also a thing. And while the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11) doesn’t recognize impulsive sexual behavior as an addiction, the WHO added Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder (CSBD) to their list of Impulsive Control Disorders in 2019.

With that said —
I don’t know this guy from Adam. I don’t know if he’s been diagnosed with CSBD. (Although, somehow I doubt it.)

I just thought I’d share the above information. Personally, I’m on the fence about the legitimacy of sex addiction — although, I do think addictions to *advertiser censored*, the internet (in general), and video gaming exist. That’s just my two cents.

Last edited:
Slain spa worker toiled tirelessly to support her family

“The situation has been harrowing for Park, who said he has not been able to claim his mother's body from the medical examiner's office because of a complication with her last name, which is legally Grant. Park said that name is from a marriage he does not recall, and he can't find papers showing a separation to prove that he is the next of kin.”

How horrible. Such a tragic situation for her two sons and an unknown marriage issue to straighten out so they can claim their beloved mother’s body.

Would Mr Grant be the legal beneficiary in that case? I think the crowdfunding is over $2 million now.

‘All I Can Think About Is Her’: Families Grieve for Victims of Atlanta Attacks

“On Friday morning, the brothers were at home, looking through photo albums for their mother’s upcoming memorial.

This was a new place for them, relatively. They had moved into the house, a rental, from an apartment last year, a moment of celebration because it was a step closer to Ms. Grant’s dream of buying a home.

But Ms. Grant had not spent as much time in it. She was gone for days and weeks on end, Randy Park said. She often stayed at Gold Spa or at a friend’s place near the business, he said, because she did not have a car and the commute to work was lengthy and tedious.”

:(

The son of an Atlanta-area shooting victim says he's not buying the suspect's sex addiction excuse

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back