GA - 8 dead after shootings at three spas, Atlanta, 16 Mar 2021 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We closed our office March 2 and by March 15 Harvard closed, followed soon after by most colleges and major companies.

March 12 Yale Medical School put out a warning that calling COVID 19 the Wuhan Virus or China Virus was xenophobic and racist. Calling COVID-19 the “Wuhan Virus” or “China Virus” is inaccurate and xenophobic
Yes, shut down started in my area in mid March.

But regardless of any dates, it's never the right time to be racist. (That's a general statement, not specific to anyone's post.)

The press conference now looks like deliberate misdirection to the public about the case.

jmo

Well, that time is burned into my brain because I was caught out of state when the shut downs first started because of a loved one's funeral. Everyone was so confused, and there did not seem to be any reason to blame China that early on. My background is the Clinical Laboratory with an emphasis in Infectious Disease so I remember that time vividly. It just seems odd that someone would have had those racist t-shirts that early! I have learned to question everything I guess.

In your original post you said the picture was taken in April 2020, a month before "we'd" heard of the virus. Which would mean you are saying that this "we" hadn't heard of the virus until...May 2020?

As someone else pointed out, the lockdowns began a full two months before that, in March, and the first covid thread started here on WS in January 2020.

It seems like your timeline must be off.

Yes, shut down started in my area in mid March.

But regardless of any dates, it's never the right time to be racist. (That's a general statement, not specific to anyone's post.)

The press conference now looks like deliberate misdirection to the public about the case.

jmo

The PC was very odd in it seemed to take the defendant’s story as true. The defendant can say what he wants about what he did and why he did it but the state often has its own theory for what occurred and why based on the evidence they collect. And the different theories are then presented at trial. Rarely are prosecutors like “Ah he said it was an accident? He seems like a good guy, he had a bad day, we understand.” :eek:

Seems premature for LE to have an opinion before doing a deep dive on who this guy is.

Why does the date of the post matter? Its significance is the t-shirts.
Well, that time is burned into my brain because I was caught out of state when the shut downs first started because of a loved one's funeral. Everyone was so confused, and there did not seem to be any reason to blame China that early on. My background is the Clinical Laboratory with an emphasis in Infectious Disease so I remember that time vividly. It just seems odd that someone would have had those racist t-shirts that early! I have learned to question everything I guess.
In your original post you said the picture was taken in April 2020, a month before "we'd" heard of the virus. Which would mean you are saying that this "we" hadn't heard of the virus until...May 2020?

As someone else pointed out, the lockdowns began a full two months before that, in March, and the first covid thread started here on WS in January 2020.

We remembered the anniversary of the funeral a few days ago... the virus was in the news and shut-downs were just starting to happen. I was worried about being able to find a hotel to stay in on the way back home. I remember the news saying that all of this was precautionary and the virus was not supposed to be a huge threat to the United States, the shut downs were precautionary because of what was happening in nursing homes in the North West. Sorry for posting... it was a painful time back then, and the timeline just looked off to me from what I remember happening during those chaotic days. I'll quietly fade back into the shadows now and leave this conversation.

Robert Aaron Long: What we know about the suspect in Atlanta spa shootings - CNN

A law enforcement source said the suspect was recently kicked out of the house by his family due to his sexual addiction, which, the source said, included frequently spending hours on end watching *advertiser censored* online.

According to an incident report from the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office, a 911 caller said the suspect could possibly be his son and "does have a tracker on his phone." Another anonymous caller to 911 told dispatch the suspect was "kicked out of his parents' house last night."

Tyler Bayless said he shared a housing unit with Long at Maverick Recovery, a rehab facility in Roswell, Georgia, between August 2019 and January or February 2020. He said that most residents were suffering from drug or alcohol addiction, but Long was being treated for sex addiction.

"It was something that absolutely would torture him," Bayless said. He said Long was a "deeply religious person -- he would often go on tangents about his interpretation of the Bible," and was distraught about his addiction to sex.

Bayless said that on multiple occasions during his stay at the facility, Long told him that he had "relapsed" and "gone to massage parlors explicitly to engage in sex acts."

more at the link — but it appears he has a documented history w/ sex addiction.

Are you blaming

Very

We remembered the anniversary of the funeral a few days ago... the virus was in the news and shut-downs were just starting to happen. I was worried about being able to find a hotel to stay in on the way back home. I remember the news saying that all of this was precautionary and the virus was not supposed to be a huge threat to the United States, the shut downs were precautionary because of what was happening in nursing homes in the North West. Sorry for posting... it was a painful time back then, and the timeline just looked off to me from what I remember happening during those chaotic days. I'll quietly fade back into the shadows now and leave this conversation.
It was a world threat and a huge threat to the US. Why wouldnt it be?

Please don’t apologize for your post (which was based on your personal experience and memory) or fade into the background!

I think it’s so important to listen and understand the thoughts and opinions of others — because understanding the viewpoints of those who come from different backgrounds (and those who have experienced things that we haven’t) makes us all better people and cultivates an open mind.

Robert Aaron Long: What we know about the suspect in Atlanta spa shootings - CNN

A law enforcement source said the suspect was recently kicked out of the house by his family due to his sexual addiction, which, the source said, included frequently spending hours on end watching *advertiser censored* online.

According to an incident report from the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office, a 911 caller said the suspect could possibly be his son and "does have a tracker on his phone." Another anonymous caller to 911 told dispatch the suspect was "kicked out of his parents' house last night."

Tyler Bayless said he shared a housing unit with Long at Maverick Recovery, a rehab facility in Roswell, Georgia, between August 2019 and January or February 2020. He said that most residents were suffering from drug or alcohol addiction, but Long was being treated for sex addiction.

"It was something that absolutely would torture him," Bayless said. He said Long was a "deeply religious person -- he would often go on tangents about his interpretation of the Bible," and was distraught about his addiction to sex.

Bayless said that on multiple occasions during his stay at the facility, Long told him that he had "relapsed" and "gone to massage parlors explicitly to engage in sex acts."

more at the link — but it appears he has a documented history w/ sex addiction.

Well, I hope the rehab place is reputable and tried to teach him better than to blame this on sex workers. I suppose his religious background already predisposes him to view women as temptresses and extramarital sex as wicked. Pretty sure no relapsing alcoholic has ever traveled around shooting brewery workers after a "bad day", but I could be wrong.

MOO - Asians are rightfully jumpy and fearful with all the anti-Asian sentiment and attacks right now. They are saying please treat incidents, these killings—with sensitivity and respect for the target victims. Targets who were women; targets who were Asian; targets who work in the massage spa business. My feelings are that I don’t think that their being Asian can be taken out of the equation.

The sheriff Captain who said that the shooter was having a really “bad day” and so the shootings happened (paraphrasing) is an example of NOT treating this case with sensitivity and respect for the victims. It’s a very poor choice of words, at minimum. - MOO

You sure? Have a look at the Covid subforum on here: Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #42

Covid-thread #42 (!) was started on the 2nd of april last year!

Yeah. My God. I was standing in line at court in early March freaking out because we were still open and no one was wearing masks yet but the virus was already worldwide and everywhere. Trump started making official statements about it in January 2020!

Yes, I agree. I wonder how he feels right now about the information he gave at that press conference? Of course it’s his discretion what information is released, but many will think he attempted to minimize the intent of the suspect, down play it as not to cause a strong reaction from the community, the nation even. This is the beginning stages of an investigation, just because the suspect said it, doesn’t make it true. IMO

I feel like we have two systems of justice in this country. This is not the first time a massive crime like this has been downplayed. But it only ever seems to be downplayed when it's one type of criminal.

BBM. There is still no reason to 'blame' China. Any more reason than there is to blame the US for the 1918 flu pandemic that the US spread all over the world when they arrived in Europe when WW1 was almost over and armies were being demobbed to take it back with them to their home countries,

And you are assigning the label of prostitute to these women without any facts. It is victim blaming.
No, I never said that. Regardless of his motives, the victims did not deserve to die. But he didn't kill them because of their race or nationality.

For all we know, he may have wanted more and the victims refused.

No, the victims were not all one race. The majority were Koarean. Not all were.
And the race angle has now taken off the table. It seems the victims were targeted by their occupation, not their nationality.
Korean is not a race. Asian is. The race angle has not been taken off the table. Where did you learn that?

Korean is not a race. Asian is. The race angle has not been taken off the table. Where did you learn that?
I have been following the story.
Everything that has came out (except the original specification) has focused on this guy's sexual issues and addiction, not the race (or nationality) of the women.
He has been treated for sexual addiction. No evidence of hatred/bias against Koreans (or any other Asian nationality) has been discovered from looking into his past. My experience watching the background on shooters that hate a certain group of people enough to kill them speak about their hatred quite often before the crime. This guy spoke of sexual addiction, not bias.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RockList
Back