GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have missed it because I was dealing with something else, but why was the body cam footage not being shown?

I missed whatever the reason was for it too. I'm pretty sure the issue was litigated in a pre-trial motion, and the transcript was allowed in, but not the initial portion of (just this LEO's) bodycam.

Fwiw, the body cam video was available on YouTube many months ago, anyway. On it Roddy *laughs* when he says (paraphrasing) "this would never have happened" (if AA had just done what he was told) (as they all demanded & expected), and, "should they have been chasing after him? Who knows?" Hahahaha ..

I never have compassion for defense attorneys, and even less in this case-- this case involves defendants who not only have no remorse for what they did, but actually
feel it was the right thing to do- the attorneys who represent them are defending
the indefensible with a lot smoke and mirrors--- they make me sick

I understand how you feel. In this country, there is due process and everyone has a right to counsel, no matter who they are or what crimes they committed. Are there bad attorneys? yes. Are there attorneys who are slimey? Yes. But, these defendants have a right to attorneys and someone has to do it.

I understand how you feel. In this country, there is due process and everyone has a right to counsel, no matter who they are or what crimes they committed. Are there bad attorneys? yes. Are there attorneys who are slimey? Yes. But, these defendants have a right to attorneys and someone has to do it.
and as much as these defence annoy me it is part of the code of ethics for an attorney to defend their client to the best of their ability, and I would hate the family to have to have a do over because the attorneys were incompetent,

If Roddy didn't have a clue why the MMs were hunting AA down- and by his own admission, he didn't- why would he start videotaping because he thought AA would get away?

He wouldn't & didn't. IMO the real reason he did is reflected in his complete lack of surprise or response to AA being shot dead.

I missed whatever the reason was for it too. I'm pretty sure the issue was litigated in a pre-trial motion, and the transcript was allowed in, but not the initial portion of (just this LEO's) bodycam.

Fwiw, the body cam video was available on YouTube many months ago, anyway. On it Roddy *laughs* when he says (paraphrasing) "this would never have happened" (if AA had just done what he was told) (as they all demanded & expected), and, "should they have been chasing after him? Who knows?" Hahahaha ..

Thanks, I'll look it up.

defense trying to get witness to say that Roddy describing some 5 attempts at blocking AA was about a time that wasn't moments before AA was murdered. Attempting to distance Roddy from the McMichaels and their actions. Defense wants to make clear that the "blocking" by Roddy occurred longer than "moments" before the shooting and happened "before" Roddy's video begins.

Defense attorney is beginning to irritate the witness at this point. [MOO]

Defense wants to suggest that several attempts at "blocking" are in fact just Roddy circling the block and not "blocking"

defense trying to get witness to say that Roddy describing some 5 attempts at blocking AA was about a time that wasn't moments before AA was murdered. Attempting to distance Roddy from the McMichaels and their actions. Defense wants to make clear that the "blocking" by Roddy occurred longer than "moments" before the shooting and happened "before" Roddy's video begins.

Defense wants to suggest that several attempts at "blocking" are in fact just Roddy circling the block and not "blocking"

I'm a few minutes behind (my husband decided to talk to me)! Thank for this!

Yep. Plus, from earlier, the repeated emphasis on the fact the yards AA ran past weren't fenced in, implying he could have cut through any of them, therefore he wasn't blocked or trapped in any case, by any of the defendants.

LMAO at this redirect.

Pros to Minchen: The defense attorney asked you if you felt that Mr. Bryan was a threat, but Mr. Bryan didn't try to hit you with his truck did he? Did he try to corner you or chase you? [paraphrased]

No.

So now I'm at this point, but I'm even confused by some of Gough's questions.

I understand that --- the alternative to this trial is to admit what they did
and take their punishment, but of course that would never happen

So now I'm at this point, but I'm even confused by some of Gough's questions.

What's objectively true is that Roddy continued to try to hit/ block AA for the entire time after he saw AA on Burford until he actually did block him in between the 2 trucks on Holmes. The proof of that is on the 2 videos, and according to Roddy's own statements. The rest is semantics.

My guess is that it is a habit- and probably she has done this for a long time-
Yes, definitely seems like it is a habit -- a very inappropriate habit. As I said it sounds like she's agreeing with the witness. One time when she didn't totally like what the witness said, she replied "Ok but..." Intentional or unintentional, it's annoying and wrong IMO.

Yah, alot of curious people entered that home under construction.

Surveillance footage shows multiple people entering property that Ahmaud Arbery visited

t_618deafeac854d23884ee27fe42382df_name_image.jpg

Videos and surveillance photos show multiple people had wandered onto a property where a home was being built less than a mile from where 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery was fatally shot.

Haven't really followed this case to any great extent. But this whole looking at a house under construction is hardly something shocking or indicative of crime, at least in my neighborhood. We did a whole house reno before we moved into our house and neighbors were always "keeping track" and commenting on progress. I never felt the need to chase or shoot any looky loos. And AA was clearly not "stealing" anything as he was running without carrying anything as far as I recall.
I don't know what you mean. It appears that many African American jurors were stricken for cause because they said their minds were made up and that they couldn't be impartial. The court strikes for cause, not counsel, so Ms. Hogue is not responsible for them being removed -- the judge is. jmo

Quote from link, my bold:

Unlike a peremptory challenge (the number of which are limited by the court during voir dire, and unless a Batson challenge is raised the challenge is automatically granted) there is no limit to the number of strikes for cause that attorneys on either side of a case can be granted. However, also unlike a peremptory challenge, a strike for cause must state a specific reason (in the example above, the reason would be the juror's bias against a non-death penalty sentence) and be granted by the trial judge; often both attorneys and sometimes the judge will question the juror being challenged.

Strike for cause - Wikipedia

But cause was not the reason for many of the eligible black jury pool being dismissed (there were 48 "qualified" jurors, 12 were black). They were dismissed under preemptory challenges (The defense got 24 peremptory challenges and the prosecution got 12.). That's the reason the Judge had to review the selection process as the Prosecution made a Batson challenge due to the final racial makeup. So the defense had to identify race neutral reasons for their dismissal of otherwise eligible jurors. All cause related dismissals would have already been done.

I don't know the law in GA at all so not sure if there was a way for the Prosecution to argue the non race based reason(s) were "pretextual". It seems any offer of a non race based reason is just accepted in GA. The articles I've read indicate the Judge had limited ability to do anything so I assume there is not procedure or case law to permit the Prosecution to further argue that the Defense's race neutral reasons were "pretextual" or essentially not the real reason and were just made up to effectuate the actual goal of eliminating the black jurors.

It's true that at least one, if not all, of the reasons were a determination that the juror could not be impartial. I'd need to review the actual voir dire (which isn't possible as I don't believe there was audio of individual questioning) to see if all jurors were treated the same in regard to an impartiality determination as many, if not all, potential jurors had knowledge and some type of opinions about the case.

One defense attorney argued "Hogue said the defense had good reason to strike Black prospective jurors with strong feelings, even those who said they could set their opinions aside" https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/11/03/ahmaud-arbery-trial-jury-race/so would be interesting to see if white jurors who also had opinions were kept. It is quite common for jurors to express an opinion but also state they could be objective & set aside their feelings and that is generally acceptable and the juror is still considered "eligible".

I know the attorney for the Arbury family found a difference in the treatment of black versus white jurors:

“It’s disappointing to hear the bases that were articulated by the defendants for striking the Black jurors because my mind kept going from white juror to white juror who met the precise parameters that they were describing for omitting Black jurors.”
Ahmaud Arbery: judge seats nearly all-white jury in Georgia murder trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member