GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Peer means your equal. So your peers would be people who live in the community, be of similar age and economic wealth and education. I don't think gender needs to be an issue but in areas where race is a touchy subject, I believe the jury should also represent that aspect, too.

Trials in the past that have juries that are in no way representative of the accused, have been appealed and the verdict overturned. I don't think a jury of your peers means people you know and have had interactions with, negative or positive, which is why I believe it was a mistake to have this trial in a small community like Brunswick. Impossible not to be biased in my opinion.
I agree. Brunswick is more than 55% black and less than 35% white so… I was involved in a trial once and the makeup of the jury was racially speaking not a jury of the defendant’s peers and it was an issue.

ADMIN NOTE:

Off topic re the Rittenhouse trial. We had to pull the general discussion thread because WS doesn't have the resources to deal with the amount of bickering that results in these types of racial / social justice cases.

If a member wishes to start a MEDIA ONLY *NO DISCUSSION* thread in the Trials forum, they are free do so. Members may also discuss the case in a private messaging group where up to 20 other members can be included. (Although WS staff don't have access to PMs to moderate, if bickering starts in PMs, member may report the message and we will see it and be able to

Any questions in that regard, please message a Mod or Admin rather than discussing on the thread. Thanks !!

Last edited:
Ahmaud Arbery’s Family Weighs In On Nearly All-White Jury, Prosecutors Accuse Defense Team of Subjecting Potential Black Jurors to More Scrutiny: ‘Intentional Discrimination’

Prosecutors also slammed the defense, who reportedly struck 11 potential Black jurors from the final jury pool of 48 during an unusual 11-day process.
Judge Walmsley stated that defense attorneys were justified in their strikes and that they had nothing to do with either race or ethnicity.
upload_2021-11-7_21-6-5.png
Prosecutor Linda Dunikoski during her opening statement

The defense attorneys said they struck jury pool members who were biased against the defendants, such as one woman who during the voir dire process said that the defendants “hunted Ahmaud down and killed him like an animal.” Another Black woman in the pool said when questioned, “No one needs to have their life taken. I believe it was wrong.”

Prosecutor Linda Dunikoski claimed that defense attorneys were “digging into” Black potential jurors’ personal lives and background — something white potential white jurors were not subjected to.
56cf5316-cbc6-43bc-9a7c-0c5d3039c850.jpg

Defense attorney Bob Rubin representing defendant Travis McMichael said his client acted in self-defense.

Dunikoski, who was trying to get Walmsley to restore some of the dismissed Black members back into the jury pool, told the court on Wednesday that Black potential jury members were asked “Well, have your kids seen it? And what did you talk to your children about? And how did you get into that?” according to the news station. However, their white counterparts were not asked those types of questions.

Attorney Laura Hogue, who represents Greg McMichael, one of the men accused of killing Arbery, confirmed that they were questioning Black jurors more thoroughly because of the racial element of the case.

“That argument pretends as if the reality is not what it is,” Hogue told the judge in response Dunikoski. Hogue went on to add, “So the idea that we would be questioning jurors who made very clear statements about their opinions about this case, and the role that race played in this case, those are the folks that we’re going to do the deep dive with. As we did with a number of white jurors who had strong opinions about race and the role that race played in this case."

Last edited:
Ahmaud Arbery’s Family Weighs In On Nearly All-White Jury, Prosecutors Accuse Defense Team of Subjecting Potential Black Jurors to More Scrutiny: ‘Intentional Discrimination’

Prosecutors also slammed the defense, who reportedly struck 11 potential Black jurors from the final jury pool of 48 during an unusual 11-day process.
Judge Walmsley stated that defense attorneys were justified in their strikes and that they had nothing to do with either race or ethnicity.
View attachment 320897
Prosecutor Linda Dunikoski during her opening statement

The defense attorneys said they struck jury pool members who were biased against the defendants, such as one woman who during the voir dire process said that the defendants “hunted Ahmaud down and killed him like an animal.” Another Black woman in the pool said when questioned, “No one needs to have their life taken. I believe it was wrong.”

Prosecutor Linda Dunikoski claimed that defense attorneys were “digging into” Black potential jurors’ personal lives and background — something white potential white jurors were not subjected to.
56cf5316-cbc6-43bc-9a7c-0c5d3039c850.jpg

Defense attorney Bob Rubin representing defendant Travis McMichael said his client acted in self-defense.

Dunikoski, who was trying to get Walmsley to restore some of the dismissed Black members back into the jury pool, told the court on Wednesday that Black potential jury members were asked “Well, have your kids seen it? And what did you talk to your children about? And how did you get into that?” according to the news station. However, their white counterparts were not asked those types of questions.

Attorney Laura Hogue, who represents Greg McMichael, one of the men accused of killing Arbery, confirmed that they were questioning Black jurors more thoroughly because of the racial element of the case.

“That argument pretends as if the reality is not what it is,” Hogue told the judge in response Dunikoski. Hogue went on to add, “So the idea that we would be questioning jurors who made very clear statements about their opinions about this case, and the role that race played in this case, those are the folks that we’re going to do the deep dive with. As we did with a number of white jurors who had strong opinions about race and the role that race played in this case."
This seems like it could be an appeals issue to me - I guess if there’s a conviction that is.

Monday, Nov. 8th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 9am ET) - GA – Ahmaud Marquez Arbery (25) (Feb. 23, 2020, shot while jogging in Satilla Shores neighborhood, Brunswick) - *Gregory Johns McMichael (64/now 65) arrested (5/7/20) & charged (5/8/20) with felony murder & aggravated assault. Indicted (6/24/20), charged & arraigned (7/17/20) with 1 count of malice murder, 4 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated assault, 1 count of false imprisonment & 1 count of criminal attempt to commit a felony. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond denied (11/13/20).
*Travis James McMichael (34/now 35) arrested (5/7/20) & charged (5/8/20) with felony murder & aggravated assault. Indicted (6/24/20), charged & arraigned (7/17/20) with 1 count of malice murder, 4 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated assault, 1 count of false imprisonment & 1 count of criminal attempt to commit a felony. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond denied (11/13/20).
*William “Roddie” Roderick Bryan, Jr. (50/now 51) arrested & charged (5/21/20) with felony murder & criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment. Indicted (6/24/20), charged & arraigned (7/17/20) with 1 count of malice murder, 4 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated assault, 1 count of false imprisonment & 1 count of criminal attempt to commit a felony. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial began on 10/18/21 with jury selection & ended on 11/3/21. Trial began on 11/5/21. Jurors: 5 men & 11 women with 4 alternates. 15 white/1 black jurors. 11/4/21: Juror #579 was excused, sick. Alternates now 3.
Court info from 5/8/20 thru 10/17/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-12) 10/18/21-11/3/21 reference post #671 here:
GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #3

11/5/21 Friday, Trial Day 1: 11/5/21 Update: Judge says not allowing fact that Arbery was on probation at time of fatal shooting in court, Judge also allowing photo of Travis McMichael's truck that has vanity plate of old GA state flag (defense didn't want it allowed).
Judge Timothy Walmsley seats the jury, swears them in and gives them their preliminary instructions.
Opening statements by prosecutor Linda Dunikoski. Opening statements by Travis Michaels' attorney Bob Rubin. Opening statements by Bryan's attorney Kevin Gough deferred until the end of State's case. Opening statements by Franklin Hogue, attorney for Gregory McMichael. State witnesses: Glynn County Police Officer William Duggan responded to 911 call. Prosecutors played dash camera video and graphic footage from Duggan’s body camera for the jurors. Trial continues on Monday, 11/8/21 @ 9am.

*Federal charges: *Travis James McMichael (34/now 35) & *Gregory Johns McMichael & *William “Roddie” Roderick Bryan, Jr. Next motions hearing on 11/19/21. Trial set to begin on 2/7/22.

10-15 minute break

@HayleyMasonTV
When Travis McMichael shot at Ahmaud Arbery, one bullet went through a neighbor's window and into the wall. These are images of the damage.

Attachments

• 57FB2C43-34AC-42FF-8F7C-C09C0424332B.jpeg
    57FB2C43-34AC-42FF-8F7C-C09C0424332B.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 2BD01700-BAA8-4716-A64B-5B88FEB8691F.jpeg
    2BD01700-BAA8-4716-A64B-5B88FEB8691F.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 9
  • A3DDF4A7-9163-44BF-B9A7-AE528F79F2CB.jpeg
    A3DDF4A7-9163-44BF-B9A7-AE528F79F2CB.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 10
OMG. After the witness answers questions on direct the the prosecutor then says "OK" almost every time before asking her next question. It's super annoying. Someone needs to tell her to stop!!! Ugh. I can barely listen anymore. Rant over.

Roddy stated in bodycam footage on five separate occasions that he had attempted to block AA's attempts to avoid the men.

Mr. Brian said in terms of his involvement: He said I mean this would have never happened you know? Should I have been chasing him? I don't know.

Brian's comments about AA trying to get into his truck: One time, when I cornered him up over here he tried to get in my truck, he tried to get in my door.

EMPHASIS by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member