GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what you mean. It appears that many African American jurors were stricken for cause because they said their minds were made up and that they couldn't be impartial. The court strikes for cause, not counsel, so Ms. Hogue is not responsible for them being removed -- the judge is. jmo

Quote from link, my bold:

Unlike a peremptory challenge (the number of which are limited by the court during voir dire, and unless a Batson challenge is raised the challenge is automatically granted) there is no limit to the number of strikes for cause that attorneys on either side of a case can be granted. However, also unlike a peremptory challenge, a strike for cause must state a specific reason (in the example above, the reason would be the juror's bias against a non-death penalty sentence) and be granted by the trial judge; often both attorneys and sometimes the judge will question the juror being challenged.

Strike for cause - Wikipedia
I hear you. I just meant that she’s fueling the fires for her defendant’s, IMO, which of course is her job. I’m just being biased myself as I am not on her defendant’s side.

I was reading who may be eligible for jury duty in the state of Georgia.

To be a juror picked from the master juror list you have to be:

-a US citizen
-a Georgia resident
-live in the same county of the court case
-understand and speak English
-be an adult 18 years of age or older

To get on the master jury list you have to:

-have a state registration card or
-a driver's license or
-be on a voter's list

Reasons for not being eligible for the master juror list is:

-be convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor
-have outstanding fees and fines related to your crime

Reasons for never getting on the master juror list:

-never being able to pay back the fees and fines
-living in a rural area where fines and fees are higher than those in urban areas

Links:

What Happens If I Don't Show Up To Jury Duty in Georgia?

PROBATION AND MONETARY SANCTIONS IN GEORGIA: EVIDENCE FROM A MULTI-METHOD STUDY

This system could account for people of lower economic means with a felony conviction to be ineligible for jury duty

Last edited:
'I’m not OK. I just killed somebody': Jury in Ahmaud Arbery killing hears first words after shooting

The state called its first witness Friday afternoon, Glynn County Police Officer William Duggan, one of the first officers to respond to the scene.

Duggan told prosecutors that when he arrived, he saw Travis McMichael covered in blood. The officer asked McMichael if he was OK, prompting him to quickly reply, ‘No, I’m not OK, I just ‘effing’ killed somebody,” according to Duggan.
skynews-ahmaud-arbery-william-roddie-bryan_5573112.jpg
William ‘Roddie’ Bryan listens to testimony

Prosecutors played dash camera video and graphic footage from Duggan’s body camera for the jurors. Duggan can be seen turning over Arbery’s body and attempting to apply pressure to his wound before saying: “There’s nothing I can do for this gentleman.”
skynews-ahmaud-arbery-brunswick_5573159.jpg
Video played in court

Duggan said he decided there was nothing he could do because of massive blood loss, the lack of rise or fall of Arbery’s chest, and the gaping wound.

At one point in the body camera footage, Duggan said he recognizes one of the McMichaels.

Duggan told Jason Sheffield, one of Travis McMichael's attorneys, that he could not resuscitate Arbery due in part to amount of blood loss and he observed Arbery's eyes were not reacting to light.

During cross-examination, Duggan confirmed that Travis McMichael was "very upset" and pacing but cooperative at the scene. Sheffield noted the officer previously likened McMichael's response was like the driver of a car that had just struck a child.

Last edited:
'I’m not OK. I just killed somebody': Jury in Ahmaud Arbery killing hears first words after shooting

During cross-examination, Duggan confirmed that Travis McMichael was "very upset" and pacing but cooperative at the scene. Sheffield noted the officer previously likened McMichael's response was like the driver of a car that had just struck a child.

RS&BBM

Except that most people who accidentally hit a child with a car have not been chasing the child down. Which, obviously the officer couldn't know at that time. Really twisting that to fit the narrative.

moo

for Friday, 11/5/21

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
15h
#AhmaudArbery - Kevin Gough, attorney for William Bryan, wants to waive his opening statement and reserve it until the end of the state's case. Judge said that's the first time he's heard of that. He's taken a break to research.

Gough.png

Kevin Gough, attorney for William Bryan, wants to waive his opening statement and reserve it until the end of the state's case. Judge said that's the first time he's heard of that. He's taken a break to research.

This is interesting. Must be something different in Georgia? We see defense teams opting to waive their opening statement in cases we cover all over the country. It suprised me that the judge said he's never heard of that.

Court is back in session. Judge Walmsley admits he's not an "excyclopedia" and after research he is aware of rule 10.2. Gough will defer is opening statement until the end of the state's case. State will now begin calling witnesses.

Judge Walmsley in #AhmaudArbery case asks anyone who may have a visible reaction to videos that will be shown in the case to step out of the courtroom.

-Office Duggan responded to the 911 call and arrived at the scene scene of the shooting. Jury will see his body cam footage.

Duggan.png

Graphic video being shown on the body cam footage. Arbery is on the ground in a pool of blood. One juror shields herslef with her notebook unable to keep watching it.

Video.jpg

Arbery's mom shared why she stayed in court as video showed her son being killed. "I decided to remain in so that I could get familiar with what happened to Ahmaud in the last minutes of his life. I avoided video for the last 18 months. I was glad I was able to stay strong."

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Didn't Laura Hogue, Gregory's attorney do an opening statement? Cathy did not mention that - IF she did.

TIA! :)

for Friday, 11/5/21

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
15h
#AhmaudArbery - Kevin Gough, attorney for William Bryan, wants to waive his opening statement and reserve it until the end of the state's case. Judge said that's the first time he's heard of that. He's taken a break to research.

View attachment 320695

Kevin Gough, attorney for William Bryan, wants to waive his opening statement and reserve it until the end of the state's case. Judge said that's the first time he's heard of that. He's taken a break to research.

This is interesting. Must be something different in Georgia? We see defense teams opting to waive their opening statement in cases we cover all over the country. It suprised me that the judge said he's never heard of that.

Court is back in session. Judge Walmsley admits he's not an "excyclopedia" and after research he is aware of rule 10.2. Gough will defer is opening statement until the end of the state's case. State will now begin calling witnesses.

Judge Walmsley in #AhmaudArbery case asks anyone who may have a visible reaction to videos that will be shown in the case to step out of the courtroom.

-Office Duggan responded to the 911 call and arrived at the scene scene of the shooting. Jury will see his body cam footage.

View attachment 320696

Graphic video being shown on the body cam footage. Arbery is on the ground in a pool of blood. One juror shields herslef with her notebook unable to keep watching it.

View attachment 320697

Arbery's mom shared why she stayed in court as video showed her son being killed. "I decided to remain in so that I could get familiar with what happened to Ahmaud in the last minutes of his life. I avoided video for the last 18 months. I was glad I was able to stay strong."

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Didn't Laura Hogue, Gregory's attorney do an opening statement? Cathy did not mention that - IF she did.

TIA! :)

Your Quote:

Frank Hogue, Laura Hogue's husband, did the opening statement.

Gregory McMichael's attorney, Frank Hogue, said the elder McMichael, a retired investigator for the Brunswick district attorney's office and a former Glynn County police officer, wanted to detain Arbery so he could be questioned by police.

"This case turns on intent, belief, knowledge, reasons for that belief whether they were true or not," Hogue said.

Attorneys for both men said Travis McMichael shot Arbery after he ran toward him.

Opening statements begin in the murder trial of 3 men accused in the killing of Ahmaud Arbery

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yesterday, we saw the testimony of Officer Duggan. Here are some of my thoughts/observations:

* The body cam video footage was difficult to watch.
* I really wish they would fix all the technical issues; it's rather frustrating
* It is reported that one of the jurors covered their face with their notebook
* Officer Duggan reported that Travis McMichael was upset. Travis' counsel is really harping on Travis being upset (trying to show that Travis did not intend to kill someone) and that he was compliant with Officer Duggan.

This really seemed like a foundational witness. I'm curious to see how things proceed Monday at 9am. I'll be back here for that!

Travis McMichael’s Confederate License Plate Deemed Fair Game in Arbery Trial

As legal teams prepared for opening arguments in the Ahmaud Arbery murder trial on Friday, the judge dealt an early blow to the defense, ruling that prosecutors can discuss a vanity Confederate license plate on defendant Travis McMichael’s truck the day of the killing.

Jason Sheffield, an attorney representing Travis McMichael, said on Thursday that a photograph of the truck that shows the flag was seen as a “symbol of racism” by many during jury selection.

48788651-10061031-image-a-1_1633440129223.jpg

Police bodycam footage shows the Confederate flag vanity plate on Travis McMichael's pickup truck

He argued that the court had been trying hard not to make the case about race, and that the admission of the vanity plate would be used as a “can opener” by prosecutors to discuss other things, like Facebook posts and text messages by Travis McMichael, his father Gregory, and co-defendant William "Roddie" Bryan.

But prosecutor Linda Dunikoski said the plate is something McMichael consciously chose to put on his truck after buying it in Jan. 2020. “He wanted the world to know this.” she said, arguing the plates are relevant to the case, because there is a point in the video of Arbery being chased and shot where the truck is coming toward him and he turns around.

“Whether he saw that on the truck or not, he was looking at the truck and that is what’s on the front of the truck,” she said,

Last edited:
Personally, I think it's a big mistake to hold the trial in Brunswick. It's impossible to get truly impartial individuals regardless what they say. Based on the comments of prospective jurors: they went to school with AA, they know the DA, they are LE, they know relatives of the accused or the victim, etc. etc. etc. just illustrates how the lives of those who live here are intrinsically woven together so much so to create latent biases that will have a negative effect on the tenor of the trial. And I don't believe for a minute that eleven white jurors have less of a bias than the lone AA juror.

Much as I would like to agree with you, isn't that what it means by a "a jury of your peers"?

Sorry to interrupt this thread. Does anyone know if there is a thread for Kyle Rittenhouse double-homicide and shooting trial?? I've been following livestream, but no thread on WS. And, this is an important case.

Sorry to interrupt this thread. Does anyone know if there is a thread for Kyle Rittenhouse double-homicide and shooting trial?? I've been following livestream, but no thread on WS. And, this is an important case.

There were a few people hunting a thread on-that a few pages back. I don’t think there is one unless it’s recent.

Much as I would like to agree with you, isn't that what it means by a "a jury of your peers"?

Peer means your equal. So your peers would be people who live in the community, be of similar age and economic wealth and education. I don't think gender needs to be an issue but in areas where race is a touchy subject, I believe the jury should also represent that aspect, too.

Trials in the past that have juries that are in no way representative of the accused, have been appealed and the verdict overturned. I don't think a jury of your peers means people you know and have had interactions with, negative or positive, which is why I believe it was a mistake to have this trial in a small community like Brunswick. Impossible not to be biased in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramsie101