GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@HayleyMasonTV
Now that jury is gone, Kevin Gough is back up asking Judge to consider his request to block notable African Americans from courtroom. "Just trotting in pastor after pastor including pastors from other parts of the country they have no apparent relationship with is inappropriate."

He asks the courts to identify every seated in the gallery throughout the trial. "We are trying to keep a record here."

Last edited:
Oh my Stars!
Gough is ranting again on his motion about inappropriate people in gallery, i.e. Arbery black pastors.
what is wrong with him, he just won't let it go, only thing i can think is he hopes for a mistrial and not getting that he is preserving the record so that he can assert bias as an appeal issue

what is wrong with him, he just won't let it go, only thing i can think is he hopes for a mistrial and not getting that he is preserving the record so that he can assert bias as an appeal issue
I don’t care for the tactics being offered up by the Defense. I also don’t care for known activists being in the audience. I believe our court of law deserves more respect in both regards.

Thanks everyone. I knew he deferred opening. So strange my mind forgot I guess.

I don’t care for the tactics being offered up by the Defense. I also don’t care for known activists being in the audience. I believe our court of law deserves more respect in both regards.

Our system is designed so that anyone can attend. IMHO, if this family derives comfort from these attendees then it is fine by me. No one is making a spectacle or a scene. Gough has been unable to point to anything that they have done that draws attention to themselves.
Furthermore, this is why anyone can attend a trial and no exclusions should be made:

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis summed it up when he said, "Sunlight is the best disinfectant." There are a number of public policy reasons that favor conducting legal proceedings in public:

Ensuring a fair trial. Public trials allow the general public to see that the justice system is functioning properly and treating defendants fairly.

Holding the criminal justice system accountable. The presence of interested spectators is thought to keep the judge, jury, and courtroom staff mindful of their responsibilities and actions. Plus, in jurisdictions where judges are elected, voters can observe the performance of their elected judges up close.

Encouraging witnesses to come forward. Historically, public trials were needed to make proceedings known to potential witnesses.

Discouraging perjury. Witnesses are considered less likely to lie in a public tribunal, in the presence of not only the court, but also members of their community. Criminal Trial Publicity

For appeals and/or for public attention and/or perhaps he's covering his long shot base of a juror/s violating the admonition.

opening at closing? The defendant testifying as to conditions of his detainment, this trial has been an unusual one. I've followed a lot over the years but I am just as lost as you @Kristin Esq.

I've heard of defense attorneys making their opening after the State rests their case, but this speedy trial stuff - I'm so lost. What did he expect? He's in jail! Also, it's not the State's fault that there was a pandemic and so rules adjusted to consider that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prettylaydie