GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gough on why his client shouldn't be found for malice murder. AA turning the other direction (to avoid capture) he created an intervening circumstance that breaks any causative chain here??? Second intervening factor is TM discharging his weapon. None of this is reasonably foreseeable from Bryan's POV. Motion for directed verdict for Bryan is in order per Gough.

Honestly, while disjointed, this is Gough best most coherent argument thus far in the trial. I think it's still hogwash but at least it's somewhat followable.

Last edited:
where Gough's argument loses steam is the fact that Bryan could clearly see GM in the back of the pickup with a weapon. He wants to argue that from Bryan's POV he was assisting in a lawful act and therefore is not guilty of the counts he is charged with.

Prosecution - Bryan continued to pursue even up to where he sees GM with a gun - he continues his involvement. all of Bryan's actions contributed to the death of AA - we requests you deny the directed verdict as to all counts against Mr. Bryan.

I disagree also. But in this case, I have a feeling the presence of people like Sharpton and Jackson will actually hurt rather than help the prosecution and, ultimately, the family of Arbery. But, imo, their not really there to help at all.

It's not placing much faith in this jury to believe their deliberations or verdicts could or will be influenced by who sat in the courtroom during trial.

Judge: Court denies motions of directed verdict of all defendants. Court has reviewed the demurrer. it raises slightly different issues than previous ones. In this case defendants are charged as parties to a crime. Language isn't conjunctive. after reviewing caselaw and considering arguments court denies the motion.

Defense wants court to make sure TM is aware of his rights and the danger of taking the stand. Apparently TM has not decided if he will take the stand or not :eek:

sigh, Gough is back on the topic of who is attending the trial and has been in the courtroom. 21 black pastors, a rabi, etc are allowed in the courtroom. because you won't take me seriously we aren't able to document who all is coming and going. the Right Rev. Jesse Jackson is back again. I again ask for a mistrial.

Broken record time.

It's not placing much faith in this jury to believe their deliberations or verdicts could or will be influenced by who sat in the courtroom during trial.

The jury won’t be influenced, but that may have been the intent. I trust they will do their civic duty

second motion by Gough, judge getting irritated.

Gough - record doesn't adequately document whether jury has been exposed to improper influences. wants to court to specifically inquire if the jury has been unduly influenced. He introduces a photograph of officer Rash - re litigation and whether or not it would affect his testimony. There is a federal civil lawsuit involving Rash and the defendants and Jackie Johnson and Thornhill filed on behalf of the estate of AA.

Gough argues that Rash is not credible as he is subject of a civil suit.

Judge where are we going with this?

Gough lots of resources out there and funds in play, lawsuit on George Floyd, and there is lots of money to be made. I feel it is appropriate to heighten the court's inquiry of the jury as to undue influence because of an unsequestered jury.

This is all for the record on appeal that Gough anticipates his client will need because he anticipates a guilty verdict. MOO

Court: I caution the jury every evening and every break about not discussing case, etc. I am satisfied with what I am doing as far as specific instructions to jury.

Veronica Waters
@MissVWaters
·
6m

Good morning, all. The arguments for directed verdicts of acquittal have been underway for some 90 minutes at the #AhmaudArbery shooting case, in a quiet gallery. They're now in a 10-minute recess.

attorneys.jpg

Judge Timothy Walmsley denies the motions for acquittal for Greg & Travis McMichael and Roddie Bryan in the #AhmaudArbery shooting case.

Judge.jpg

Defense attorney Jason Sheffield says they have informed client Travis McMichael of his rights and that he understands that he may choose to testify or not. Sheffield asks respectfully that the Court NOT ask him whether he plans to testify.

Sheffield.jpg

Judge swears in the three defendants. Now he's asking Travis McMichael questions to ensure he understands his rights.

Travis.jpg

Now, Judge Walmsley is doing the same with Greg McMichael.

Greg.jpg

Roddie Bryan's turn.

Bryan.jpg

All three defendants in the #AhmaudArbery shooting case say that they have discussed their rights to testify with counsel. Now, Bryan atty Kevin Gough is noting someone who matches the description of local pastor Mark Baker is here

...or at least was yesterday, as was a white woman who's a rabbi. He's not clear if Baker is part of the community social justice group that's been planning to gather pastors. He notes Rev. Jesse Jackson is here again. He moves for a mistrial.

Jackson.jpg

Defense atty Sheffield says they don't join the mistrial motion but because these visitors are part of a national conversation wanting convictions here, they should be made to watch the trial from another room so the jury can't see them, be reminded of that

Sheffield2.jpg

ADA Dunikoski says it assumes facts not in evidence to think these jurors are aware of any "national conversation." Judge Walmsley denies the mistrial. He notes jurors were asked deeply about their backgrounds and views on things like Black Lives Matter.

Judge says he's confident that vetting has resulted in a panel willing to listen only to court evidence. He's ruled upon presence of individuals in court & isn't going over that again. He has restricted what people can wear--no political buttons, etc

Gough's 2nd motion is about documenting whether jurors have been contacted or exposed to outside influences. There are so many ways maybe the jurors aren't even aware of it, he says.

link: https://twitter.com/MissVWaters

so Gough is starting with the argument that AA should have asked Bryan for help when he was running past being pursued by the Ms. It is actually AA's fault for not reaching out for help, and speak out ask for police.

I can't even. the black man didn't ask for help and AA assumed Bryan is a bad man so that's on AA.

I won't make it long with this - Guaranteed I will be screaming at the screen during this man's opening statement.

Mr. Bryan did not take his rifle or the hammer nearby, no butcher knife, when he joined the posse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asset Locator