GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange that his transcript, closer in time to the incident, is not correct, but his statements now are? Nice try, TM. You're more likely to remember closer in time. Not after your attorney has coached you.
I think the prosecutor is setting a good tone. She's pointing out the discrepancies in TM's statements, but she's even helping him find the pages and where she's referencing. Pointing out where his written and verbal statements to the police on 2/23 are consistent with each other but now are inconsistent with his current testimony is compelling, in my opinion.

take away from this morning's testimony so far - you can't believe anything TM said on the day of because he was flustered, scattered, disjointed, confused, misspoke. But we should believe what he says today.

um, mmmkay
Yes, but he never gives AA that benefit of being scattered, disjointed, etc, does he?

I think the prosecutor is setting a good tone. She's pointing out the discrepancies in TM's statements, but she's even helping him find the pages and where she's referencing. Pointing out where his written and verbal statements to the police on 2/23 are consistent with each other but now are inconsistent with his current testimony is compelling, in my opinion.

Oh I agree. And once she puts it all together in the closing, it'll just make it that much more compelling.

defense complaining about the sleeping juror. want her excused

state objects, hasn't noticed anyone not giving her cross their attention.

JUDGE I haven't noticed 12 sleeping, I will keep an eye on it but I have noticed her seeming tired.

I'm confused by TM saying that when he saw AA interacting with the truck, TM realized that there was "something to" his suspicions. I thought they had already decided who AA was and why they were chasing him and what crime he committed? Now, AA has to "commit" another "crime" in front of TM during the chase for TM to know there was something to his supposed suspicions?

Gough AGAIN complaining about the reverend Jesse Jackson being present. at what point does the judge shut this down? Gough is effectively MAKING their presence a problem. Their presence isn't the problem, but he needs it to be so he is creating it.

talking heads are breaking it down

How does the shotgun become unwedged from between the seats and on the floor or the truck? Who drives around with a loaded shotgun pointed at their feet anyway?

TM claims he was driving all slow and careful, so I don't get how the Shotgun gets unwedged. Then he says he put the shotgun "back onto the seat." I thought it was between the seats, pointed down?

Also, yesterday, he even said he put the shotgun "back on the door" at one point.

ETA -- how can AA "engage" with Roddie's truck unless Roddie is driving at the pace of a jogger?

Okay, yesterday, he said AA was keeping pace with the truck and trying for the handle. Today, the truck is stopped?

Last edited:
for Thursday, Nov. 18th:

Veronica Waters
@MissVWaters
·
1h
Good morning. The arguments today before Travis McMichael continues being cross-examined involves the defense asking Judge Walmsley to bar the State from asking whether he uttered a racial expletive over #AhmaudArbery's body.

Sheffield.jpg

Judge Walmsley says he won't decide now based on these cited cases, but will decide before the testimony is done. Defense said the slur ("f'ing n-word") was heard only by co-defendant Roddie Bryan, who's not expected to testify.

Judge.jpg

Kevin Gough says he's raising a 3rd motion asking the judge to prevent intimidation or influencing of jurors by excluding Revs. Sharpton and Jackson from court unless and until they show a pastoral relationship to #AhmaudArbery's family. Jason Sheffield agrees.
[me: this guy doesn't give up... :rolleyes: ]

Gough.jpg

{^^looks like the Judge fell asleep while listening to Gough repeat his motion...]

Jury's back in. Travis McMichael is on the stand. ADA Linda Dunikoski hands him his transcript of his interview with Det. Nohilly, which was from about 3:12-5:30 PM.

Travis.jpg

Travis McMichael said: 1. He thought the man on Feb. 11 might have been the one who ran by. Then, 2: that Matt Albenze'd seen him. Then, 3: He may have broken in. Then, 4: Maybe Larry English is on his property. Then, 5: Maybe #AhmaudArbery had been caught.

ADA & Travis.jpg

Then, 6: Maybe #AhmaudArbery had been running from police. Travis McMichael says no, he didn't hear any sirens. Now, ADA begins asking about probable cause definition he knows.

State says McMichael's definition is only 1/2--you need 2 parts: Reasonable suspicion of an actual crime, AND that person you're arresting is who committed it. TM: That makes sense. That's the person I assumed was committing the crime. The probable cause was him.

Travis McMichael: #AhmaudArbery had been there several times, I saw him sneaking thru a yard, he reacted like he was going for a gun, we had our altercation, Albenze said it was the same guy on video, Albenze pointing--all led to probable cause.

T McMichael says all that meant, it's the guy breaking into house where stuff's been stolen. The totality of the circumstances led him to go down there and see if that was him.

T McMichael says on his stolen gun, there was suspicion that it was tied to an unfamiliar truck that'd come thru. Dunikoski asks him about a man; TM says he doesn't know him. She says, isn't he your FB friend? TM says he doesn't know him.

McMichael's memory's refreshed w/FB post. He'd said he'd IDed the person who'd stolen his gun and gone to his house and this may be the 1 causing trouble here. It was not #AhmaudArbery So why, State asks, 2 hours after the homicide, he posted about his Jan 1 gun theft?

State: So there was no probable cause to believe #AhmaudArbery stole your gun? McMichael: No. S: Any evidence he'd ever taken anything from English's house/boat? TM: Other than he'd been there a lot.

State: You knew the white couple had gone in in Nov.? McMichael: I did. S: And shady guy under the bridge? TM: I did. S: And suspected guy with truck as gun thief and neighborhood thief? Didn't Kim B say she suspected that guy of stealing purse? TM: Don't recall

T McMichael says his mother never told him English suspected contractors. State asked about his claim that he thought #AhmaudArbery reached into his pants to indicate he had a gun. Like this? TM says no.

Travis & video.jpg

State played videos from English property of Feb. 11. T McMichael IDs his car's headlights outside. He says no, he doesn't see #AhmaudArbery with a bag, or anything in his hands.

Video.jpg

State: Ofc. Rash told you the homeowner said this guy had never stolen anything? T McMichael: He hadn't SEEN him steal anything. S: So you're basing yoru probable cause on your mother's rumor? TM: Based it on Feb 11 and neighbors talk.

Travis McMichael insisted things HAD been stolen from the boat. State asks, wasn't the boat moved b/t here & Douglas? Asks what he'd heard Ofc. Rash testify that he as a law enforcement officer would do? TM didn't investigate that. Defense objected. Judge overruled.

Objection.jpg

State: When you saw #AhmaudArbery on Burford, he didn't have a bag/box? T McMichael: No. S: Shorts and tee. You didn't know him personally, anything about him. TM: Nothing. State: You just knew he was the guy at the unsecured construction site. Reach into pockets? Yell? TM: No

State: Did #AhmaudArbery threaten? Brandish weapon? Reach for anything? Just ran? T McMichael: No, he was just running. He says he didn't "startle" Arbery, just pulled up to him, stayed with him

Travis2.jpg

T McMichael says he told #AhmaudArbery Stop, what happened back there, why're people pointing down the road. State: What exactly did u say? TM: "I want to talk to you." AA turned, went the other direction. S: That indicates he doesn't want to talk to you and won't stop? TM: Yes.

State: So you chose to reverse your truck & back up at #AhmaudArbery? McMichael: Back along with him. S: He's trying to get away, doesn't want to stop or talk, & you're going along with him. TM: I asked again, I want to talk. What happened down the road?

State: Are you wearing any sort of uniform? In a marked patrol car? Wearing a badge? Travis McMichael: No.

Travis McMichael told police he told #AhmaudArbery "Stop right there, stop where you're at." You're ordering him to stop? TM: Not ordering, asking. At first it was polite, he agrees, nice, calm. State: He's already decided he doesn't want anything to do w/u & runs back? TM: Yes

State showed video showing Travis McMichael's truck backing up and #AhmaudArbery running away from the truck, then video showing McMichael putting truck into different gear and going back toward Arbery. You could've just stopped, right? Let him run? TM: I could have.

Truck.jpg

State: You know 5th Amendment says no one has to talk to anyone they don't want to, right? McMichael says yes. State: You said you thought there could've been someone hurt, or a break-in, but you didn't go THAT way? TM: I wanted to ask him what happened.

link: https://twitter.com/MissVWaters

Veronica Waters
@MissVWaters
·
21m
Jurors appear attentive to Travis McMichael's testimony. Not clear if anyone's taking notes. Also attentive is #AhmaudArbery's mom, who's next to Rev. Jesse Jackson today. Meanwhile, McMichael said again he assumed his dad Gregory had called police.

Travis3.jpg

Travis McMichael: He told police that he'd told #AhmaudArbery, I called the cops. He ran. State: You told jury yesterday you told your dad, "Call the cops! There he is?" TM: I believe I said Have you called the cops yet.

McMichael: I was all over the place giving that statement. Stressed, nervous, scared. This is what I meant. I'm probably choppy talking 2 him. LD: What're u nervous about? TM: I just killed a man. Had blood all over me. Most traumatic experience of my life

Travis4.jpg

State: You were nervous because you thought you were going to jail? McMichael: No. State: No? TM: I was going thru an investigation. S: You've just shot #AhmaudArbery 3 times with a shotgun? TM: Correct. He's unarmed? Correct.

State: On bodycam your dad says You had no choice you had no choice? McMichael: Yes. You're covered in #AhmaudArbery's blood and you go down to police station. Nohilly doesn't threaten or force you? TM: No

State: But you're telling this jury you're all confused and can't get facts straight telling police why you shot and killed a man. McMichael: I tried to best of my ability but it was the most traumatic event of my life.

Back to map. #AhmaudArbery runs this way to get away frm you? McMichael: Correct. State: He hasn't threatened you, pulled gun or knife, hands at sides? TM: Yes. I was letting him run away. S: Wasn't it intention to go around block and cut him off? TM: To see where he's located

T McMichael says he thought there was something to his suspicions and he was going to be able to tell police where #AhmaudArbery went at that point. State: Your father said Cut him off, cut him off? TM: IDK. He said There he is, that's the guy. Not sure.

T McMichael: I was not yelling at him on Burford, no ma'am. I got out of the truck when he was turning and running away and not a threat. State: Why would #AhmaudArbery be a threat to you?

Travis5.jpg

T McMichael: I recognized him as guy from 11th, how he reacted then, he was obviously caught sneaking through yard where he's not supposed to be several time, reaches into pants like he has a gun. Now here he is. He may be armed but he didn't show me that

T McMichael: So I got out to watch him. State: You testified that you weren't going to go after someone you thought was armed. Yet you want this jury to believe now that #AhmaudArbery was a threat to you yet you continued to chase him down Burford?

ADA.jpg

Travis McMichael: I didn't know if he was a threat. He never reached in his pockets and I wanted to see what was happening, figured I could get up and talk to him. State: But hadn't he demonstrated three times at this point he doesn't want to talk to you? TM: Yes.

State: He's also demonstrated he's no threat. Hasn't pulled a weapon, threatened you, not swearing. McMichael: Didn't talk. S: U get out of truck w/shotgun. M: No, when father got out to get in back. Gun'd slipped down--no need to grab it when #AhmaudArbery was right there

McMichael talked about #AhmaudArbery's engagement with the black truck. State: Dad wanted you to go that way but you wanted to cut him off? TM: No. State: You told police black truck tried to stop Arbery? TM: Yes

Going back over his statement Travis McMichael says again that he was bouncing back in forth, had it wrong trying to explain. "I misspoke." #AhmaudArbery's mom is heard saying "Oh, my God," in a low, frustrated tone.

Mom.png

link: https://twitter.com/MissVWaters

Gough AGAIN complaining about the reverend Jesse Jackson being present. at what point does the judge shut this down? Gough is effectively MAKING their presence a problem. Their presence isn't the problem, but he needs it to be so he is creating it.

talking heads are breaking it down

Gough is trying to make a record for it for appeal.

So TM witnessed Roddie trying to run AA off the road. Why else were AA and the truck coming into TM's lane?

I hope she calls him out on the “he was a big scary angry black guy running at him “like a running back”, and he was attacking me” bs

Ahmaud was 5’10” tall (average for men in the USA is 5’9”, so tall but not towering) and 164lbs - not 6’ tall, and nowhere near the average 215-225 lbs of a running back.

Travis is bigger than him and had a shotgun, yet he says that Ahmaud was overpowering him and he had no choice but to shoot. He put himself there, Ahmaud is the one who had no choice. He had ample opportunity to make different choices but chose to antagonise AA, who is minding his own business and had done nothing to him. And still has the nerve to spew those racist tropes, that AA was an angry and aggressive big black guy and he’s nothing but a innocent guy who never meant any harm. Complete lack of self awareness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState