GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADA Ollivierre should have asked if "creeping" in the shadows of a yard warranted the death penalty. (You know, since that's today's version of TM's probable cause)

Honestly, I didn't expect her to go make that comment but dang I sure wanted someone to say it. Hope it doesn't get her sanctioned but it probably should.

On top of everything else, her comment suggests the State believes AA actually did steal something but just didn't deserve to die for it.

Additionally, her question really didn't apply in this case because Mr. Arbery did not steal anything. The entire case is premised on assumptions made and based on those assumptions that he was a criminal, he was shot and killed.

That's true. I have to go back and listen again to see if anything the witness said about the facebook posts indicated that someone thought that, though. I really wasn't listening too tough.

Veronica Waters
@MissVWaters
·
44m
Defense calls Mindy Cofer who's lived in Satilla Shores since 1976, "a rural, pleasant neighborhood. Families, all ages. We have a socioeconomic and ethnicity mix." She doesn't know the McMichaels.

She says neighborhood FB page has utility or crime issues, related according to people's opinions. Defense asked her about various posts/comments she saw or made. She was aware of a squatter and said after a theft, it could've been person under bridge

Cofer's carry permit is expired. ADA Ollivierre cross-exam: Ever a victim of crime? Cofer: Not in over 30 years. State: Do you believe someone stealing is worthy of the death penalty? Outcry from defense lawyers--objection objection we've got a motion

Laura Hogue asks that after lunch Judge admonish ADA Ollivierre for asking question she knew was impermissible. Also, ask jury to disregard question & any feelings it gave them. It's inappropriate, incendiary, it's prejudicial, improper. Sanction her.

Hogue.jpg

Kevin Gough says he doesn't know why no one made a mistrial motion. I don't know how you cure that. Given the time we've put into this trial. Wants to confer with other lawyers. Before break State noted Juror 12 was awake & attentive. Judge says same.

lunch...

link: https://twitter.com/MissVWaters

I think it’s more that TM was adamant that he thought he had stolen something and that’s why he acted the way he did

I get that interpretation. But she asked the question abruptly & outside of that or any other context, including what she'd just asked & the reply. It hit hard for me, anyway, in part because of the contrast to her colleague's elegant & highly controlled & precision targeting cross.

So what I gather from the neighbor's testimony, ( I went back and listened again and I don't know her name, sorry,) is that she NEVER talked to the McMichaels and they got that information about the person under the bridge from reading facebook. They NEVER talked to her about it, and then they took it upon themselves to go under the bridge and see about it. And it doesn't seem to have anything to do with a missing purse, like TM said.

Not sure why the defense let us know this. Or am I interpreting what she said wrong?

I wish the PA would have asked about that instead of asking what she asked. I think that was a wasted opportunity. Now that I've heard it again, I don't know why she asked what she asked. I was hoping they'd use the neighbors to draw out that no one was trying to be a viligante but the McMichaels.

I get that interpretation. But she asked the question abruptly & outside of that or any other context, including what she'd just asked & the reply. It hit hard for me, anyway, in part because of the contrast to her colleague's elegant & highly controlled & precision targeting cross.

That is true, it was pretty jarring. Hopefully they’ll clarify during closing

I'm going to go get lunch, but the most important question I think the PA asked TM was when she asked him what he had to do to ready the shotgun to kill someone. He said remove the safety and flip back some other thing. I don't remember what that thing is, but it seems like he had to do two things.

I don't think he could have done both things in the seconds that transpired in front of the truck. He had to already have done it before AA came around the side of that truck, and that is NOT consistent with shooting AA to keep him from taking the gun.

I'll further say that if he hadn't taken those two steps, then AA -- if he got the gun -- would have to figure out that he needed to perform those two steps. How do we even know AA knew how to operate a shotgun? I can say I don't know how to. I don't know how to remove a safety and whatever else was said.

The bottom line is TM came out there with a loaded shotgun to ask questions. He proved he's prone to walk around with guns just to ask questions.

I believe he had that shotgun ready to go, safety off and everything when he raised it up at AA because -- just like TM was trained -- you don't raise a gun at someone unless you're ready to shot it.

I'm going to go get lunch, but the most important question I think the PA asked TM was when she asked him what he had to do to ready the shotgun to kill someone. He said remove the safety and flip back some other thing. I don't remember what that thing is, but it seems like he had to do two things.

I don't think he could have done both things in the seconds that transpired in front of the truck. He had to already have done it before AA came around the side of that truck, and that is NOT consistent with shooting AA to keep him from taking the gun.

I'll further say that if he hadn't taken those two steps, then AA -- if he got the gun -- would have to figure out that he needed to perform those two steps. How do we even know AA knew how to operate a shotgun? I can say I don't know how to. I don't know how to remove a safety and whatever else was said.

The bottom line is TM came out there with a loaded shotgun to ask questions. And I believe he had that shotgun ready to go, safety off and everything when he raised it up at AA because -- just like TM was trained -- you don't raise a gun at someone unless you're ready to shot it.

I didn’t even think about that! I hope they bring that up in closing

@newsworthy17

Walmsley says council should've known that this is a question wasn't appropriate; the state is admonished by the court and subject not to repeat question. He does not grant mistrial.

Laura Hogue wants Walmsley to rule on residents' ability to testify to FB posts; says they can testify to safety in neighborhood and speaks to defendants actions. Says it'd be like excluding asking someone on what they read in The Brunswick News.

Jury is back; Walmsley acknowledged that an "improper question" was asked, says state was admonished and they are to disregard the question. The defense calls Cindy Clark.

Gough is "bringing to the courts attention" that someone in the foyer of the courthouse was wearing a Black Lives Matter mask. Jury is about to be seated.

Cindy Clark lives in Brunswick on Holmes Rd. Testifies she was aware crime was happening in the neighborhood, specifically petty crime, and that guns were being stolen and that ppl were walking around neighborhood at night. She put up a doorbell camera that she never hooked up.

Last edited:
The defense asked if Ms. Clark thought it was a good thing for neighbors to look out for each other. She agreed. I agree, too, but I don't want any of my neighbors chasing down someone and killing them over a property crime against me.

I have yet to hear that anyone was assaulted, raped, murdered. So why is it so serious in that neighborhood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ragnimom