GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former PD and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryptic

Reaction score
What is known is that Ahmaud Arbery was shot and killed after a confrontation with two suspects. There are evidently two very different versions of what led to the confrontation and shooting:

Ahmaud Arbery case will go to grand jury - CNN

A. Ahmaud Arbery was jogging while black. He was then chased down and murdered pursuant to the racist "a black male is a suspected criminal" line of "thinking".

B. Arbery resembled a burglar who had struck the neighborhood in the past / was in the act of fleeing from an attempted burglary. He then attacked an individual who tried to stop him and was shot only after repeatedly trying to get control of a weapon.

It appears that even with the suspects own admission, the chase was initiated because Arbery simply peered into a home under construction. In Georgia, private citizens, can only make citizens arrests for felonies that they have exact knowledge of.

Thus, even giving credence to possibility "B", the suspects had no lawful ability to detain Arbery.

IMO, this case is vitally important to Georgia as the olde school notion that one class of citizens has extremely broad rights of "self defense" over other classes of citizens and that they have some kind of endowed arrest / command authority over this group needs to end.

In short, these two men need to be prosecuted..... .

This cannot be allowed to stand. We cannot have cars full of self-styled vigilantes driving around hunting people down. These men should be detained, and it should go to a grand jury. Completely contrary to a civilized society.

I am glad to read this one's being remanded to a grand jury. I felt that way when I read about it a week ago (I live about an hour's drive from Brunswick so it was on the local Jacksonville FL news recently, though not when it first happened). I definitely do not yet have all the facts, but yesterday I saw the video I was stunned by how aggressive the 2 men claiming "citizen's arrest" were. There was absolutely no visible reason for them to attempt to take the law into their own hands; they had called 911 and were unable to tell the dispatcher what crime they even believed they had witnessed.

A couple of articles from that town's local newspaper here (not behind a paywall right now due to them dropping it for Coronavirus coverage): Dispatcher: 'What was he doing wrong?'

GBI announces official investigation into Arbery shooting

I hope to hear/read more about this in the coming months. From the little bit I've read it's only going before the grand jury because a video was put out to the public and they demanded the DA act on it. I really hope that isn't the case but I kind of doubt it.

What is known is that Ahmaud Arbery was shot and killed after a confrontation with two suspects. There are evidently two very different versions of what led to the confrontation and shooting:

A. Ahmaud Arbery was jogging while black. He was then chased down and murdered pursuant to the racist "a black male is a suspected criminal" line of "thinking".

B. Arbery resembled a burglar who had struck the neighborhood in the past / was in the act of fleeing from an attempted burglary. He then attacked an individual who tried to stop him and was shot only after repeatedly trying to get control of a weapon.

It appears that even with the suspects own admission, the chase was initiated because Arbery simply peered into a home under construction. In Georgia, private citizens, can only make citizens arrests for felonies that they have exact knowledge of.

Thus, even giving credence to possibility "B", the suspects had no lawful ability to detain Arbery.

IMO, this case is vitally important to Georgia as the olde school notion that one class of citizens has extremely broad rights of "self defense" over other classes of citizens and that they have some kind of endowed arrest / command authority over this group needs to end.

From the same CNN link :

"CNN had previously reached out to Gregory McMichael, who is also a former investigator for the district attorney in the Brunswick Judicial Circuit, for comment." "Two other district attorneys had recused themselves over possible conflicts of interest, one of whom wrote that Travis McMichael acted out of self-defense and their actions fell within Georgia's citizen arrest laws."

and later from the same link again,

"At best, the men had the authority to follow Arbery and send law enforcement to that location, Merritt said. The 911 calls show the call taker was asking the men what Arbery is doing that was of criminal concern, Merritt said.
"They didn't give any answer for that, they said, 'He's a black man running down our road,'" Merritt said." (Merritt is the attorney for the Arbery family).

I REALLY hope this loss of changes these laws that allow for this to happen, though I must admit I don't have much hope after seeing so many black men lose their lives without justice, but I will continue to hope. The fact that Gregory McMichael was an investigator for the DA along with the statement that one DA who recused themselves really worries me, and shows how knowledgable people are of this law permitting these crimes. Just awful. Really thinking of the family who have been silenced for so long while grieving without justice <3

This is absolutely horrible. It seems these two guys were stalking the victim for no apparent reason. They should have been charged already and I hope the grand jury indicts them.

I don't want to post a link to the video, as I'm sure many can find it themselves, but I really want to know why the person filming was filming, why they have no reaction and what is before and after in the video that has been released. My opinion only: it seems that person filming was aware of or involved in the vigilatism that day.

I am a long time lurker and don't comment much at all. I'm commenting to bump this thread. I really hope this won't go unnoticed on websleuths like this case has been for the last few months.

I didn’t realize that this horrible shooting took place in February. Awful timing with the pandemic that there hasn’t been much news coverage, and citizens weren’t able to protest the lack of charges due to the lockdown order. Now it won’t go to a grand jury until June, more delays.

The dad is ex LE, he knows better. Why not call 911 and let them sort it out?

I don't want to post a link to the video, as I'm sure many can find it themselves, but I really want to know why the person filming was filming, why they have no reaction and what is before and after in the video that has been released. My opinion only: it seems that person filming was aware of or involved in the vigilatism that day.

Good point about the audio....I just figured they muted the sound.

From the little bit I've read it's only going before the grand jury because a video was put out to the public and they demanded the DA act on it.
One of the suspects is a former peace officer and worked for the District Attorney's office. As a result, two DAs had to recuse themselves from the case as they probably knew the suspect personally.

Though one new source claims that a District Attorney had affirmed the actions of the suspects, I don't think this claim is part of the official record. Rather, it could be based on a sincerely believed rumor.

There is a confirmed good sign: The governor of Georgia has pledged state resources to the investigation and promises transparency.

If I’m out walking (or by chance jogging) and two people jump out of the car to subdue me and aren’t clearly marked as officers it’s going to go down. As a female with CHL I carry, if two men approached me in plain clothes demanding me to do things I will not hesitate to defend myself, even if they profess to be police. If I’m not armed (rarely) I would fight tooth and nail.
This is vigilantism and they should be charged. It was made very clear to me when I obtained my CHL what I was allowed to do and not do. This falls under the do not do.

One of the suspects is a former peace officer and worked for the District Attorney's office. As a result, two DAs had to recuse themselves from the case as they probably knew the suspect personally.

Though one new source claims that a District Attorney had affirmed the actions of the suspects, I don't think this claim is part of the official record. Rather, it could be based on a sincerely believed rumor.

There is a confirmed good sign: The governor of Georgia has pledged state resources to the investigation and promises transparency.

Ya, good. And Biden weighed in on this earlier so that’s going to help keep eyes on this too.

The image of those two white men with their guns in hand, driving around in a pick up truck, looking for and chasing a black man, cutting him off.....I’ve seen that horrific situation in so many movies and it just turns my stomach every time, I can’t watch those scenes because I know all too well how it will end. Seeing this video absolutely nauseates me.

These two <modsnip> are despicable.
Thank you to the folks on here for expressing concern for this loss of life and the fact that this was very close to being swept under a rug. SHAMEFUL actions by many involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point about the audio....I just figured they muted the sound.

I just heard on CNN with Don Lemon that there is a longer version that shows the other times they tried to stop him in which he successfully ran away, and that the police report acknowledges two cars involved (i don’t have a link sorry, was listening on Sirius). Does anyone know where to find the police report or how to request it? I’m from Canada so I’m not the best with US legal stuff.. but will try to look more later tonight.

IMO the vehicle recording was trying to corner him in..

The video shows the truck stopped in front of Ahmaud. The McMichaels got out and confonted him with a long gun and handgun, IIRC.

It was an ambush! Why is the 3rd man not under investigation? He clearly was part of what was happening because he was filming. It was a coordinated ambush. They positioned vehicles with one in his path and one behind him in case Ahmaud turned and ran the other way when the McMichaels jumped out and pulled guns on him as he got close to their truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove