GUILTY GA - Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, Brunswick, 21 March 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New article: Elkins' lawyer questions the use of photo-lineup:

Pate says photo lineups are less reliable when a person from one race is identifying a suspect from another.

"If you have a white person, a Caucasian person trying to identify an African-American teenager, especially, social scientists have done studies and have looked at situations in a controlled environment when they know this is not the right person and yet somebody identifies them," Pate said.

D******** L***, 15, also had a first court appearance.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/lawyer-questions-lineup-used-identify-teens-charge/nW4DY/

BBM, I can actually agree (to some degree) with this point. I am horrible at guessing AA ages. The AAs I know never seem to look as old as they are. It is something I have joked with them about. "black don't crack" my GF told me once. Still makes me chuckle. I agree cross racial identification can be less reliable.

To me though, all of that is smoke and mirrors. I would be more worried about mistaken identification if it weren't for the fact that the sequence of events states that LE questioned DL and he led them to DE. LE then presented a photo lineup including DE and he was picked out.

IMO the odds of West miraculously picking out the photo of the wrong teen, who also happens to have been identified as the shooter by boy charged as his accomplice are slim to none.

I know...Bless her heart and she will be on Piers Morgan @ 9pm tonite...I hope she will have someone with her.:please:

I really wish she wouldn't do appear on Piers. It's so soon....emotions are really running high. I'm worried about the integrity of the investigation, but mostly worried about the safety of all involved.

I haven't read everything that's been published.

Does anyone have a very clear trail of how Elkins came to be accused? Who first fingered him, that allowed him to be placed in the photo lineup? What exactly do they have on him?

I know DL's aunt apparently called and reported her nephew, DL, and DL's family acknowledges he was there at the crime scene but denies he was involved.

They also say DL didn't know Elkins.

So how, exactly, did Elkins come to be a suspect in a photo lineup?

Thanks -

The younger boy fingered him.
I posted a link earlier but I'm not sure where to find it now.

LE said after they talked to the younger boy, they went to find DE.

thanks jjenny, just beneath the video screen at the link it says that Sherry West will be on Piers Anthony's show tonight at 9 est on CNN.

A thought that struck me watching the video as the reporter discussed reactions from both DE and DL family members is the following:

Various threats have been made against Antonio's mom via social media, DL's aunt claims she has been receiving threats. I am worried we may see violence between the two teens factions of support. I truly hope things do not escalate to that level.

There is a lot of finger pointing back and forth that seems to be going on with the suspects and I know that clergy and neighbors in the area have voiced concerns about violence escalating in the community of Brunswick in general.

Just thinking out loud.

I wish she wouldn't go on TV, frankly. The media loves a gore fest, and all this does is stir things up--what possibly could be the point? It's not like it'll help witnesses come forward or solve the case--LE and prosecutors are certain they have their suspects, and have even said they're certain they know who did the shooting (in one article I read).

I'll be honest and say this is one more thing about this case that goes beyond my understanding. There's no way I could be taped for an hour-long national TV show 4 days after viewing my baby's head blown away, even if I wanted to or needed to (for case-solving purposes). Why would producers see a need to put her through that?

I really wish she wouldn't do appear on Piers. It's so soon....emotions are really running high. I'm worried about the integrity of the investigation, but mostly worried about the safety of all involved.

ah, we cross-posted!

The younger boy fingered him.
I posted a link earlier but I'm not sure where to find it now.

LE said after they talked to the younger boy, they went to find DE.

Thanks, Kimberly, I think I read that link.

But if they say DL didn't know Elkins, that DL was simply walking down the street and Elkins came running up and threatened him and then DL was simply a witness - in fact a VICTIM - how could DL have ID'd Elkins? The family insists there is no connection between the two boys.

And yet somehow DL knew his name and how to find him.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Thanks, Kimberly, I think I read that link.

But if they say DL didn't know Elkins, that DL was simply walking down the street and Elkins came running up and threatened him and then DL was simply a witness - in fact a VICTIM - how could DL have ID'd Elkins? The family insists there is no connection between the two boys.

And yet somehow DL knew his name and how to find him.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Yeah
I think they are telling a wee little fib.

after question DL LE and other witnesses LE were led to DE (paraphrased from one of the million articles I have read in the last three days)

I believe from all the snips and quotes from LE it went like this

Anon tipster phones in about car leaving vicinity crouching teen in it

Aunt of DL decides to speak to LE

DL is questioned

Whatever DL tells them leads to other witnesses who then lead to DE

DE and 24 other photos are shown to West

West IDs DE

---------------------

having a thought occur here and want to get it out before I get sidetracked. Based on the paraphrase I did uptop, I am wondering if DL even knew DE's name. I wonder if he simply knows him from around and knows him by his street name of "lil yes"?

Maybe that's why DL claims not to know him but the interview with DL was able to lead LE to DE despite not "knowing" him.

thank you to Mr. Pate. He clears up what PIM and I were trying to suss earlier. We were right (headache, legalese and all)

Pate says Georgia law requires anyone 13 and older who is charged with murder to be charged as an adult.

He explained that prosecutors have until after the teens are indicted to inform the court and the defendants whether they plan to seek the death penalty.

"In Georgia, you don't have to ask for the death penalty in order to keep people in prison for the remainder of their life. You can ask for life without the possibility of parole," Pate said.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/lawyer-questions-lineup-used-identify-teens-charge/nW4DY/

On the local news news4jax this evening they had picture of DL.

Not sure if this has been posted.

I wish she wouldn't go on TV, frankly. The media loves a gore fest, and all this does is stir things up--what possibly could be the point? It's not like it'll help witnesses come forward or solve the case--LE and prosecutors are certain they have their suspects, and have even said they're certain they know who did the shooting (in one article I read).

I'll be honest and say this is one more thing about this case that goes beyond my understanding. There's no way I could be taped for an hour-long national TV show 4 days after viewing my baby's head blown away, even if I wanted to or needed to (for case-solving purposes). Why would producers see a need to put her through that?

ah, we cross-posted!

I agree! I am concerned for this woman's mental and physical health. This interview is a bad bad idea and I don't think it will help calm, tempers in brunswick and around the nation.

Pate says photo lineups are less reliable when a person from one race is identifying a suspect from another.

<snipped by me>

This raises another question - I thought Elkins' lawyer was Kevin Gough?

"My client is absolutely, 1,000-percent not guilty," public defender Kevin Gough, who represents 17-year-old De'Marquise Elkins, told The Associated Press. He made the comments Monday, while preparing for Elkins' first court appearance on a murder charge. It was scheduled for 2 p.m. Monday.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130325/US--Baby.In.Stroller.Slain/

Does he have more than one public defender?

after question DL LE and other witnesses LE were led to DE (paraphrased from one of the million articles I have read in the last three days)

I believe from all the snips and quotes from LE it went like this

Anon tipster phones in about car leaving vicinity crouching teen in it

Aunt of DL decides to speak to LE

DL is questioned

Whatever DL tells them leads to other witnesses who then lead to DE

DE and 24 other photos are shown to West

West IDs DE

---------------------

having a thought occur here and want to get it out before I get sidetracked. Based on the paraphrase I did uptop, I am wondering if DL even knew DE's name. I wonder if he simply knows him from around and knows him by his street name of "lil yes"?

Maybe that's why DL claims not to know him but the interview with DL was able to lead LE to DE despite not "knowing" him.

Good point! DL might know who he is by sight (seeing him around the neighborhood) but not know him as in 'being friends' (unlikely anyway), as in knowing him by name, having a relationship with him.

This raises another question - I thought Elkins' lawyer was Kevin Gough?

Does he have more than one public defender?

Thank you, I wondered about that too but I chalked it up to me having misunderstood the earlier articles.

So both claim to be his attorney or I wonder if one is the 15 year old's attorney and the reporter got it wrong??

Pretty sure you only get one PD per suspect.

Somebody's got the names mixed up? :

"My client is absolutely, 1,000-percent not guilty," public defender Kevin Gough, who represents 17-year-old De'Marquise Elkins, told The Associated Press. He made the comments Monday, while preparing for Elkins' first court appearance on a murder charge. It was scheduled for 2 p.m. Monday.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130325/US--Baby.In.Stroller.Slain/

Attorney Page Pate reporters that his client is "1,000 percent not guilty."

Pate, who defends criminals charged with serious felonies across Georgia, says he's concerned that police used a photo lineup to identify Elkins as a suspect.

"It's the worst kind of identification," Pate told Rozzi. "It's difficult because the person making the identification was under a lot of stress at the time."

Article is confusing. Paragraph said reporter talked to Elkins attorney and then this followed that statement " Attorney Page Pate, who defends criminals charged with serious felonies across Georgia and is not involved with the case"

I'd really like to know what comes Out as the motive. Police don't seem to be buying the attempted robbery story, since they've mentioned more than once that they are trying to determine the motive.

I wonder if DO knows Sherry, she was by all intents and purposes the getaway driver, once she was tracked down by police she talked to them since a witness saw her leaving the area. It makes me wonder if there is a lot more involvement from others.

Attorney Page Pate, who defends criminals charged with serious felonies across Georgia and is not involved with the case, says he's concerned that police used a photo lineup to identify Elkins as a suspect.

okay, he is just their legal talking head for this case. whew. I was mighty confused for a sec/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheTodd