GUILTY GA - Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, Brunswick, 21 March 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Have they determined yet if that gun was the actual murder weapon?

If it was posted somewhere, I missed it.

most minors who either are or are fronting as tough guy gangbangers do not purchase their ammo in boxes from the licensed gun shop or ammo dealers. IME those individuals get their bullets from the same place they get their guns, their thuggish associates on the streets. Therefore I am not at all surprised that the bullets from Sherry and Antonio did not come from the same manufacturer lot.

Frankly, I would be darned surprised if they did. Not getting why this is such a relvelation.

..it is unclear how or why the baby's father, Louis Santiago, would have been exposed to gunshot residue. A conclusion from the state forensic report says, "This supports the possibility that [Louis Santiago] discharged a firearm, was in close proximity to a firearm upon discharge, or came into contact with an item whose surface bears GSR [gunshot residue]."

like a stroller, diaper bag or significant other? Imagine that
His hands were tested "shortly after his son's death" at the Emergency Room.

Any stroller or diaper bag would be part of the crime scene, so no he would not have touched the stroller or diaper bag.

We don't know if he had touched her at the ER when they tested him. He is a convicted felon and he was at Walmart, supposedly at the time of the incident (though LEO state he was at Walmart only 20 minutes after the incident, at the earliest)

So, she was already being worked on at the ER by the time he arrived there. It would seem strange to me police would not immediately have pulled his rap sheet and before he was allowed contact to test him.

But who knows.

It notes here he was listed as "a subject" here, as of April 11th.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/media/...3e7-b727-a8efeb73e429/Santiago_GunResidue.pdf

The question I would have is did he touch her at the hospital or does he own a gun of his own or shoot a gun in the days prior to this? Gunshot residue is not gun specific. It just shows that a person was near a gun, any guy, when it was fired.

The issue of the bullets not being the same brand does not surprise me at all. DE would not be going to walmart to purchase a box of ammo for his gun. Rather, I am sure he was just obtaining cartridges where ever he could, a couple here, a few there. It certainly wouldnt matter where they came from or whether they were the same brand.

The witness testimony is still pretty consistent and the co-defendant appears to have rolled immedatiately on DE and his testimony is apparantly consistent with the mother's.

The question I would have is did he touch her at the hospital or does he own a gun of his own or shoot a gun in the days prior to this?

The father is a convicted felon. It would be illegal for him to own a gun.

Why would Elkins have GSR on his person or his clothing?

He was not taken into custody immediately following the shooting. There was quite a time where he was an unsub, and in the wind. Obviously his clothing could have been changed, he could have showered, etc.

As to the gun not being the murder weapon. I guess we will see what happens at trial. MOO I tend to put more stock in the word of LE and prosecution than in the word of "Mr." Elkins or his attorney, who is very good, I must admit.

He is giving Defendant a bang up defense and I am thrilled so when they convict this little [unusual person] it will STICK.

Elkins' lawyer also says a gun recovered after the teen's arrest is not the murder weapon. Police, however, say it was the gun used to shoot baby Antonio.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/conten...swick-baby-murder/jGLlrvf1IkqYaQakEPEjWQ.cspx

kinda crazy the way things are going. didn't the cops say earlier that the gun that killed the baby was the same gun used in a robbery by elkins? how can it not be the same gun now, unless they were wrong. interested in how this plays out.

LE still stands by the assertion that the gun recovered from the pond IS one and the same as the one used to shoot and kill Antonio.

This will be an interesting trial. I am looking forward to it.

Is there a link to the info that the gun used to kill baby was not same gun used to shoot pastor? Somehow I missed that info. First I have heard of it. TIA

interesting. " The public defender for De'Marquis Elkins says the teen suspect did not have gunshot residue on his hands after 13-month-old Antonio Santiago was shot and killed."

also, gun recovered not murder weapon.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/conten...swick-baby-murder/jGLlrvf1IkqYaQakEPEjWQ.cspx

Police say it is a murder weapon per that article. Also, he wasn't arrested right away. He was arrested the next day after the murder. So if he washed his or hands or took a shower there goes the gunshot residue.

"It's not uncommon for attorneys on either side to make issues out of gunshot residue. They often are bigger issues than what the evidence really means," said Knox. "Gunshot residue, because of its nature how it can be easily transferred, easily wiped away, it doesn't necessarily put a gun in somebody's hand. It doesn't have the significance that often times the attorneys like to make it have."

http://www.news4jax.com/news/lawyer...pect/-/475880/21265454/-/dlkudrz/-/index.html

kinda crazy the way things are going. didn't the cops say earlier that the gun that killed the baby was the same gun used in a robbery by elkins? how can it not be the same gun now, unless they were wrong. interested in how this plays out.

???? As far as I can tell, no one said anything about gun used in robbery being the same or not.
We are not getting much information published. Hearing was yesterday, why is there so little information?

I think they said the same caliber bullets were used.

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...g-statement-made-man-charged-baby-killing-may

Judge says incriminating statement made by man charged in baby killing may be used in trial

“He said - his words - ‘Y’all ain’t got ___ on me. Y’all ain’t got no gun. Y’all ain’t got no fingerprints. All y’all got is a ____ acquittal,’’’ Nohilly testified.

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...g-statement-made-man-charged-baby-killing-may

Judge says incriminating statement made by man charged in baby killing may be used in trial

“He said - his words - ‘Y’all ain’t got ___ on me. Y’all ain’t got no gun. Y’all ain’t got no fingerprints. All y’all got is a ____ acquittal,’’’ Nohilly testified.

And it sounds like the younger suspect completely supports mother's account. Per that article, the younger one claims that the older suspect decided to rob someone, then shot the mother and killed the poor baby.

And it sounds like the younger suspect completely supports mother's account. Per that article, the younger one claims that the older suspect decided to rob someone, then shot the mother and killed the poor baby.

That is my take on this as well. The younger suspect (whose name escapes me right now) apparantly almost immediately cooperated with police, and his story supports the story told by the mother. That is going to be a very difficult hurdle for the defense to overcome, especially using the theory that the mother/father somehow arranged this "hit" on their own baby. What connection is there between them and the younger suspect? Doesnt appear to be any. When you combine that with the testimony of the prior robbery victim and the defendant's family's actions following the murder, and the gun.... probably means "guilty."

And you know what? The older suspect appears to have a really, really good defense attorney and that's all to the good--he can't later say that he was inadequately defended when they convict him for SHOOTING A BABY IN THE FACE.

Defense attorney files more motions...quotes from the Brunswick News newspaper.

"In a motion filed Monday in Glynn County Superior Court, Public Defender Kevin Gough asked Judge Stephen Kelley to order prosecutors to conduct an inspection of storm and sewage drains near the crime scene at London and Ellis streets in Brunswick where Antonio and his mother, Sherry West, were attacked. Scarlett has not ruled on the motion."

""Specifically, the crime scene investigation ignored a storm or sewer drain which is several feet away from where Sherry West now maintains that she and her son were shot," Gough wrote."

"Because the drains are subject to being "overwhelmed by runoff during heavy storms, especially at high tides," any shell casings or a gun could have been carried down stream, Gough argued in the motion.

"In this way, Sherry West could have concealed and/or disposed of a murder weapon and spent shell casings without leaving the scene of the crime," the motion claimed."

"Dominique Lang, 15, is also charged in the indictment with murder, cruelty to children, aggravated assault and attempted armed robbery. Kelley agreed to grant Lang a separate trial because he is expected to testify about De'Marquise Elkins' alleged involvement in Antonio's murder at De'Marquise Elkins' trial."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back